Metal joint replacement and the new security screening at Disney Springs

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
As expected, Disney is installing the same walk-through security scanners that they’ve been using at Disney Springs at the four theme parks. Has anyone who has an artificial joint been through these scanners yet? I have a new shoulder and was wondering whether I would need to just go through and see if they pulled me out, or if I should simply go to the guard and ask for a manual screening to start with.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/07/mass...disney-world-theme-park-bag-check-experience/

my friend has a lot of metal joint and she has never set them off if yu do just let the CM know that you had joint replacment and they may use a wond on you

last time I flew the screws in my hand did set off scanner at airport as did the 2 I went thru at Disney

I have metal "staples" in my leg bones where they reattached the muscles and ligaments, and those will set off airport scanners every time, so I just proactively tell them ahead of time.

Interesting about the titanium joints!

I am surprised about the titanium joints. Disneyland has been using the scanners at all entrances for several years with everyone going through them. My Mom had a knee replacement in late 2017. I usually go through first and tell the security person that my Mom will set it off due to a knee replacement. The scanner actually goes off where the metal is, so for the knee it would be for the lower part of the scanner and left side (since my Mom's left knee). They usually just wand quickly in the spot (or during the summer, just observe her scar).

Got bilateral knee replacements. I set everything off everywhere I go... airport, courthouse, you name it.

Not a big deal. I just point down and say “I got knees”. They wand me and off I go.

Given the demographics, I figure half the folks in Florida have metal in them somewhere so you’re in good company there! Lol

I have a new shoulder and was wondering whether I would need to just go through and see if they pulled me out, or if I should simply go to the guard and ask for a manual screening to start with.
If you're going through an Evolv gate, just go through. The AI knows what an artificial shoulder looks like, or rather it knows what a weapon looks like and can tell the difference. Actually, by now I'm sure it knows what an artificial shoulder looks like too.

Most new joints lately are made of titanium. I haven't set off a scanner with my new hip.
Titanium doesn't tickle the classic metal detector systems. Still some implants being made with stainless steel and some dental implants are actually being done with aluminum screws, both set off metal detectors.

Get ready though. As more places switch to Evolv (and similar) gates like Disney did, you'll start setting them off again. Evolv uses milimeter-wave scanning like the new TSA scanners use and it can see titanium, glass, ceramic, as well as other metals.

So titanium doesn’t set off metal detectors? I didn’t know that!
Classic metal detectors work by subjecting the person to a magnetic field and measuring the magnetism that field provokes. Ferrous metals and most metals that conduct electricity will produce a magnetic field like this. Titanium, not so much.

Think like those induction cooktops. Early ones required iron or steel pans to work and an aluminum pot would just sit there stone cold. Newer 'all metal' induction systems use a much higher frequency and will heat aluminum pots up fine but I doubt they would heat up a chunk of titanium.

last time I flew the screws in my hand did set off scanner at airport as did the 2 I went thru at Disney
There's a whole set of papers about finding the optimal material for implant screws. Titanium is the best material for most implants but for screws it can tend to loosen more easily (is the gist of a lot of the discussion). There's any number of actual alloys available and some are more detectable than others.

If you're going through an Evolv gate, just go through. The AI knows what an artificial shoulder looks like, or rather it knows what a weapon looks like and can tell the difference. Actually, by now I'm sure it knows what an artificial shoulder looks like too.

Titanium doesn't tickle the classic metal detector systems. Still some implants being made with stainless steel and some dental implants are actually being done with aluminum screws, both set off metal detectors.

Get ready though. As more places switch to Evolv (and similar) gates like Disney did, you'll start setting them off again. Evolv uses milimeter-wave scanning like the new TSA scanners use and it can see titanium, glass, ceramic, as well as other metals.

Classic metal detectors work by subjecting the person to a magnetic field and measuring the magnetism that field provokes. Ferrous metals and most metals that conduct electricity will produce a magnetic field like this. Titanium, not so much.

Think like those induction cooktops. Early ones required iron or steel pans to work and an aluminum pot would just sit there stone cold. Newer 'all metal' induction systems use a much higher frequency and will heat aluminum pots up fine but I doubt they would heat up a chunk of titanium.

There's a whole set of papers about finding the optimal material for implant screws. Titanium is the best material for most implants but for screws it can tend to loosen more easily (is the gist of a lot of the discussion). There's any number of actual alloys available and some are more detectable than others.
i must have some of the more detectable ones. at the time I got was not given a choice just given the ones I got

Thank you for this detailed information! I had found some of it on the Internet, but not all of it, and none of it was as clearly explained as you have done.

Thank you for this detailed information! I had found some of it on the Internet, but not all of it, and none of it was as clearly explained as you have done.
I try to be useful. This subject ticked off two of my favorite boxes, prosthetics and AI (specifically Computer Vision and Machine Learning).

What strikes me as the more important part of this new scanning system is that it's the death knell for traditional magnetic metal detection. It uses the same imaging tech as those TSA scanners that give you a 'virtual strip search' but it never presents such an image for human review. Makes it faster and less intrusive (sorta).

The machine isn't simply alarming when it detects the presence of some or another material in some or another minimum quantity. It's taking a multi-angle video feed of you walking, sees right through your clothes, isolated anything of note then processes that image with an algorithm based on the AI's observation of thousands of objects and its ability to 'learn' which objects are or are not weapons.

And this system is using the simplest applications of the tech that's available. My current project uses standard video inputs and determines which direction a walking person is likely to go based on body language. The libraries I'm using to do this are also being developed to observe crowds and identify who's armed based on posture and their walking gait or identify those who have stolen something or (less successfully ... for now) those planning to steel something based on the same observables.

It's all an ethical quagmire, obviously; but the tech is pretty amazing.

I went thru the Magic Kingdom security last Thursday and Hollywood Studios security today. My new hip caused no problems and I sailed right thru.
Good to hear! Did you tell the Security cast member before you went through, or you just walked through like everyone else?

I just walked through like everyone else because we are local AP and visited often and have been on many DCL cruises and it has never gone off in the year and a half since I got the replacement. I don't tell them because I don't expect it to go off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter