Merchandisers - looking to mentor a newbie?

RichNKatHolly

DIS Veteran
If any of you merchandisers out there are interested in giving a newbie a little insight, please PM me. I've been doing mysteryshopping for almost a year now and found my best MS friend here on the Dis (some of the most generous and kind people on here).

I'm just starting out next week with one company and could use a little info. I'm a bit nervous!

Thanks so much for considering!! :love:

Can I ask you how you started mystery shopping? I am in Brooklyn and would love to do this! Thanks!

knovak said:
What product are you merchandising?

I will be straightening and restocking a certain brand of product (they didn't say which yet). Wish I knew more, but they haven't told me much yet as I just accepted the job yesterday.

are you going to be a regular employee or are you a contract worker? The difference is with a regular employee, you are paid by the company and they take out taxes. With a contract worker, they pay you a set fee or $ per hour and you are responsible for your taxes. Some people love being a contract worker because they write most of their expenses off on their taxes. (there is a lot more to the difference, this is just an example)

I would rather be a regular employee. You can still write off your expenses that aren't paid by the company such as milage, but they pay your taxes and you usually have a few benefits like 401K.

Then you get into part-time and full-time. Contract jobs are the easiest to get and they can get your foot in the door. Part-time jobs are harder to get, but once you have experience, they can be found. Full-time jobs are the hardest to come by because they are usually filled by part-time people. Alot depends on where you live too. If there are a lot of stores in your area, jobs are usually listed in the paper and you just call and apply. If there aren't a lot of stores in your area, they can be harder to find. You can sometimes just ask a person you see working in a store who they work for and are they hiring. Once you are a full time employee, its really a pretty small pool of workers and most of them know each other and will refer each other when there are openings. I am not sure if these were the type of questions you had, but my DH was a grocery store manager for about 20 years and I merchandised for him at the time.

how did you started mystery shopping? I am in PA and would love to do this too! any info would be great!Thanks!

powellrj said:
are you going to be a regular employee or are you a contract worker? The difference is with a regular employee, you are paid by the company and they take out taxes. With a contract worker, they pay you a set fee or $ per hour and you are responsible for your taxes. Some people love being a contract worker because they write most of their expenses off on their taxes. (there is a lot more to the difference, this is just an example)

I would rather be a regular employee. You can still write off your expenses that aren't paid by the company such as milage, but they pay your taxes and you usually have a few benefits like 401K.

Then you get into part-time and full-time. Contract jobs are the easiest to get and they can get your foot in the door. Part-time jobs are harder to get, but once you have experience, they can be found. Full-time jobs are the hardest to come by because they are usually filled by part-time people. Alot depends on where you live too. If there are a lot of stores in your area, jobs are usually listed in the paper and you just call and apply. If there aren't a lot of stores in your area, they can be harder to find. You can sometimes just ask a person you see working in a store who they work for and are they hiring. Once you are a full time employee, its really a pretty small pool of workers and most of them know each other and will refer each other when there are openings. I am not sure if these were the type of questions you had, but my DH was a grocery store manager for about 20 years and I merchandised for him at the time.

Thanks for the info! For this first company I am on a trial for the first few weeks (which I suggested since I have no official merchandising experience). I will be an employee of the company and the work is part-time, regular work. I am told some ofthe jobs are weekly, bi-weekly and monthly. Seems like there is quite a bit of work in my area, but I only wanted to start with a few jobs to see if it is for me.

I guess all I was looking for was info on exactly what you do, but it seems that all the jobs are different. Do you find that the stores are welcoming to you?

thanks again for helping me out!

It can really vary what you do. You can do as little as shelf fill and face to as large as a re-set. It all depends on what they need done at the time. As for the people, its like anything, some people are really glad to see you and will bend over backwards to help you and others will treat you like you are in the way and a HUGE bother to them. They should realize that you are free labor for them. Everything you do, is something they don't have to do, but many people veiw you as a pain!! Good Luck!

The best way to find out about jobs is in the newspaper and word of mouth. I know there are some companies that post on monster.com so you might also try there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter