May 24, 2014 Alaskan 9 night Wonder

Hello everyone. We just booked an igt! So excited to be planning our first Alaska Cruise! It will be myself (Nichole), my hubby Brad, my daughter Kailyn (14) and my son Joshua (11). We sail out on our anniversary! Off to join the fish extender group!

My DD will have just graduated 8th from grade on this cruise. She is 13, She is always looking for somebody to hang out with.

What is everyone planning for their "pre trip"? I'm thinking about flying in the day of the cruise. Is everyone staying over night or are some planing on flying in that morning as well?

We are coming in a couple days before to adjust to time differance. Then heading out the day after.

I wanted to thank you for the relief in knowing that there is someone else who has a kiddo with expensive hobbies. Ballet is killin' us. But hoping for free Disney passes when she starts preforming for them;)

Hi everyone! We just switched to this cruise from the 6/30 cruise!! The gt rates were just too great to pass up. It will be me-Kristina 29 and Paul 29. So looking forward to 9 lovely days!!

Hello everyone. We just booked an igt! So excited to be planning our first Alaska Cruise! It will be myself (Nichole), my hubby Brad, my daughter Kailyn (14) and my son Joshua (11). We sail out on our anniversary! Off to join the fish extender group!

Hi! :wave2: and Hi! :wave2:

I don't know if we were talking here about the small refunds that some of us got or not, but I called DCL today to find out if they could tell me which card my refund was issued to (worried it was a gift card) and the CM said the refund was for reduced taxes.

Awe Man! DCL seems to only issue tax refunds when I've booked through DVC. The times I paid cash for my cruise...no refunds. $11 could have covered (most of) a wine tasting or Mixology for me. :scratchin

Glad you got one for each of your cruises. :goodvibes

He's already asked me for my car when he turns 16. :eek: :lmao:

:drive: oh well, good reason to buy a new one for yourself :lmao:

I'm with pequele...Upgrade for you! :thumbsup2

I am proud, but not because of soccer as much because he's not afraid to work his butt off to get there. If he falls short of his goals, it isn't from lack of effort.

It goes without saying. I assumed if he's that awesome at one thing, he must've been awesome all around. Good on him! :goodvibes

I have been using travelex for my travel insurance. Which company do you prefer? So far, I have never needed it, but that just means I'm due to have something go wrong. :laughing:

I use Travelex for my DVC trips and Allianz for everything else. So far I've never had to file a claim with Travelex, but I have a few times with Allianz for other trips and I like the customer service and quick turnaround I've received (even when they were previously Access America) so I stick with them.

What is everyone planning for their "pre trip"? I'm thinking about flying in the day of the cruise. Is everyone staying over night or are some planing on flying in that morning as well?

I'm flying into Vancouver on the 22nd and doing a couple of small sight seeing activities pre-cruise. I'm not at the Pan. Main reason being I used miles to book our room and unfortunately the Pan wasn't one of my choices. Post cruise we staying an extra day and 1/2 and renting a car to venture out further than the downtown Vancouver area.

We are coming in a couple days before to adjust to time differance. Then heading out the day after.

I wanted to thank you for the relief in knowing that there is someone else who has a kiddo with expensive hobbies. Ballet is killin' us. But hoping for free Disney passes when she starts preforming for them;)

I feel you both. I have an expensive one too. She has violin and track for her activities. I'm praying one or both will help with lots of scholarships for college. It's scary how close it is. :scared1:

Where are you flying in from? I would be too nervous about things going wrong-weather, mechanical, etc., to fly in the day of. Even when we sail out of Port Canaveral, we make sure we are there at least the day before, and we are only a 9 hour drive or about a 2 hour flight--just not willing to take the chance.

To answer your original question, I am arriving in Vancouver on The Wonder, but my DH and my nephew are meeting me in Vancouver for the Alaska leg and they both are arriving the day before, and coming in from the East Coast.

Ok, you guys are really talented because I cannot figure out how to multi quote. :confused3

Chris31997 - I danced ballet from 3-17 and YES! I feel for you because as expensive as soccer is, ballet is insane. I remember practicing 5 hour long classes after school then coming home to homework. (I would teach the little kids Sat morning to offset one of the class fees) I remember falling asleep in the bathtub 3 different times when my mom ran in to wake me up. I am guessing she is on point now, because those metal shoes have to be replaced as often as cleats! You don't have the "travel" expenses, but you do have the performance fees. I hope she/he is able to get a scholarship somewhere for it as well. You have earned it after those costs.

MoonDaughter13 - I don't know as much about track and violin, but musical instrument training is not cheap. I am looking to start my 9yo into piano and the prices are crazy. Nico's guitar isn't expensive, but she doesn't want to take guitar. I can only imagine how much more expensive violin is over piano. :eek: Traveling with track can get expensive. (I tried that my sophmore year along with ballet.) I could jump the hurdles because of the ballet training, but my body couldn't handle it all. I'm not Bo Jackson :lmao:

Pequele - I told him I would get him a station wagon. That way, he can help drive his sisters around to all their events. ;)

I was booked for the Pan July 4th and then jumping on the July 7th cruise. I thought about flying in Friday night. I would get in at 1am and then just sleep at the airport hotel. It could work and then I am not chancing the day of the cruise. I guess if these are my problems in life, I really can't complain. ;) :wizard:

Where are you flying in from? I would be too nervous about things going wrong-weather, mechanical, etc., to fly in the day of. Even when we sail out of Port Canaveral, we make sure we are there at least the day before, and we are only a 9 hour drive or about a 2 hour flight--just not willing to take the chance.

To answer your original question, I am arriving in Vancouver on The Wonder, but my DH and my nephew are meeting me in Vancouver for the Alaska leg and they both are arriving the day before, and coming in from the East Coast.

I was thinking that as well. I have to get my kids to Washington DC from Atlanta. I'm sure at some point I will figure it out. Flying out on 3 day cruises, I usually fly in the morning of the cruise, but from ATL to MCO I get the 7am flight to give plenty of time. Flying from DC or ATL to Vancouver is a little chancier.

Hi! :wave2: and Hi! :wave2: Awe Man! DCL seems to only issue tax refunds when I've booked through DVC. The times I paid cash for my cruise...no refunds. $11 could have covered (most of) a wine tasting or Mixology for me. :scratchin

I didn't book through DVC maybe that is why?

Ok, you guys are really talented because I cannot figure out how to multi quote. :confused3 Chris31997 - I danced ballet from 3-17 and YES! I feel for you because as expensive as soccer is, ballet is insane. I remember practicing 5 hour long classes after school then coming home to homework. (I would teach the little kids Sat morning to offset one of the class fees) I remember falling asleep in the bathtub 3 different times when my mom ran in to wake me up. I am guessing she is on point now, because those metal shoes have to be replaced as often as cleats! You don't have the "travel" expenses, but you do have the performance fees. I hope she/he is able to get a scholarship somewhere for it as well. You have earned it after those costs. MoonDaughter13 - I don't know as much about track and violin, but musical instrument training is not cheap. I am looking to start my 9yo into piano and the prices are crazy. Nico's guitar isn't expensive, but she doesn't want to take guitar. I can only imagine how much more expensive violin is over piano. :eek: Traveling with track can get expensive. (I tried that my sophmore year along with ballet.) I could jump the hurdles because of the ballet training, but my body couldn't handle it all. I'm not Bo Jackson :lmao: Pequele - I told him I would get him a station wagon. That way, he can help drive his sisters around to all their events. ;) I was booked for the Pan July 4th and then jumping on the July 7th cruise. I thought about flying in Friday night. I would get in at 1am and then just sleep at the airport hotel. It could work and then I am not chancing the day of the cruise. I guess if these are my problems in life, I really can't complain. ;) :wizard:

Haha I like the sta-wag idea only problem is, he is playing soccer around the world, he can't drive his sisters :(

Right now my 5yo is doing karate and swimming. He wanted to play violin (thanks Little Einsteins!) but it doesn't work well with his schedule. It was pricey as well but worth it for sure. But at 5 it would have way over scheduled him. Swimming isn't cheap though. We have $1500 fees for just 3 months of practice (so 4 times a year) and that doesn't cover meets not travel! Seriously I though swimming would have been a cheap sport! You need a swim suit and some goggles!!! Chlorine can't be THAT expensive ;) Karate isn't too bad really though you have to pay a fee for each belt testing they go to. Plus, like this week is Feb vacation week so they have karate camp they can go to. For 2 hrs a day M-F it is $150. And summer camps in New England? Ouch. 2 weeks at camp is more than my mortgage. It's cheaper to go on DCL for the summer...ok not really but a girl can dream can't she ;) I could probably pay for this cruise if I sold all my son's Skylanders though! Anyone else's kids play that? Lordy that's a habit worse than crack!

My friend Melissa is flying in late the night before the cruise and staying at a place near the airport. I forget what she said the name was though. She's on here and fb but she stays pretty quiet :)

Ok, you guys are really talented because I cannot figure out how to multi quote. :confused3

:teacher: Ok, no problem. See the three icons in the bottom right hand corner of the posts? If you want to do multiple quotes, you click on the center icon (the quotation marks) for your first and subsequent quotes you want to post. On the last quote, you click on the first icon (quote), it will then open up the advanced reply screen and you can respond to each individual quote.

Good luck! :goodvibes

BTW: We are flying in a couple of days before the cruise to visit Vancouver. We are then staying an additional night after the cruise. We are staying at the Pan.

Haha I like the sta-wag idea only problem is, he is playing soccer around the world, he can't drive his sisters :(

Right now my 5yo is doing karate and swimming. He wanted to play violin (thanks Little Einsteins!) but it doesn't work well with his schedule. It was pricey as well but worth it for sure. But at 5 it would have way over scheduled him. Swimming isn't cheap though. We have $1500 fees for just 3 months of practice (so 4 times a year) and that doesn't cover meets not travel! Seriously I though swimming would have been a cheap sport! You need a swim suit and some goggles!!! Chlorine can't be THAT expensive ;) Karate isn't too bad really though you have to pay a fee for each belt testing they go to. Plus, like this week is Feb vacation week so they have karate camp they can go to. For 2 hrs a day M-F it is $150. And summer camps in New England? Ouch. 2 weeks at camp is more than my mortgage. It's cheaper to go on DCL for the summer...ok not really but a girl can dream can't she ;) I could probably pay for this cruise if I sold all my son's Skylanders though! Anyone else's kids play that? Lordy that's a habit worse than crack!

My friend Melissa is flying in late the night before the cruise and staying at a place near the airport. I forget what she said the name was though. She's on here and fb but she stays pretty quiet :)

I might have to do that. My 11yoDD is Kung Fu and yes, not terrible for that either. Who knew swimming was that expensive :scared1::scared1:

I moved out of DC because I cannot afford my life and to live in that area. ATL is much more reasonable. DC and New England are similar (and way too much snow for me;)

:teacher: Ok, no problem. See the three icons in the bottom right hand corner of the posts? If you want to do multiple quotes, you click on the center icon (the quotation marks) for your first and subsequent quotes you want to post. On the last quote, you click on the first icon (quote), it will then open up the advanced reply screen and you can respond to each individual quote.

Good luck! :goodvibes

BTW: We are flying in a couple of days before the cruise to visit Vancouver. We are then staying an additional night after the cruise. We are staying at the Pan.

YAY!!! Thank you :woohoo: I appreciate you taking the time to educate me on that :)

I use Travelex for my DVC trips and Allianz for everything else. So far I've never had to file a claim with Travelex, but I have a few times with Allianz for other trips and I like the customer service and quick turnaround I've received (even when they were previously Access America) so I stick with them.

I'm flying into Vancouver on the 22nd and doing a couple of small sight seeing activities pre-cruise. I'm not at the Pan. Main reason being I used miles to book our room and unfortunately the Pan wasn't one of my choices. Post cruise we staying an extra day and 1/2 and renting a car to venture out further than the downtown Vancouver area.

I'll have to look at Allianz for my land trips. I'm glad to know they were excellent.

Very cool that you are able to explore the area. I would love to spend more time, but I need to get back. Nico (13yoDS) wants to do an Alaska cruise so maybe the next time I will be able to explore the area. He wants to go at 14 or older so he can do the teen excursions.

I didn't book through DVC maybe that is why?

Yep, that's exactly why. But honestly I'm just being silly. I just think it's funny how my luck has worked :rolleyes2 On my Fantasy cruise I missed out on 32 whole dollars because I booked with points. :laughing: But I got way more than that back in DVC swag, free wine and mimosas and I'm sure I'll get it again this time, so I'm good. :thumbsup2

CORRECTION:
Oops. I misunderstood what you were asking. I thought you were saying maybe that's why you DID get a refund. Then I read it back again after I'd already posted and saw that you did not. You don't get refunds when you book through DVC points so I don't think not booking through them is why you didn't. You could be right that it got absorbed into the cost of your upgrade. :confused3 Can your TA find out?

I'll have to look at Allianz for my land trips. I'm glad to know they were excellent.

I don't know if I just got lucky or if everyone who works there is truly awesome. Each time I had to call in (4 times) it was like those new Discover commercials where the reps spoke to me like they knew me and commiserated with me when I complained about how stupid an airline or other travel company was being. And if something wasn't covered they explained why in a way that was 100% understandable. I can't promise they are perfect, but I can say my experiences have been worth it.

Very cool that you are able to explore the area. I would love to spend more time, but I need to get back. Nico (13yoDS) wants to do an Alaska cruise so maybe the next time I will be able to explore the area. He wants to go at 14 or older so he can do the teen excursions.

I'm like you on time. We had to squeeze this trip in during my daughter's 2 weeks off from school. After this cruise our DCL trips will be on a long hiatus until she graduates from HS. And no more WDW for a while either. DLR for long weekends only. It's only 2 more years. I think I can handle it without bouncing off the walls too much. :hyper: If I can't stand it I might squeeze in a 4 day on the Dream at the halfway mark. By myself, of course :angel:

But whenever I travel on "minimal time" for a cruise, other vacation or for work, I usually do my best build in at least 24 hours before and 24 hours after the main event. I'm just not a nice person when I don't have decompression time in between (unless there's a theme park involved :bitelip:). So our activities in Vancouver will be leisurely and not on a time schedule. If I had more days though I would be researching all there is to do in Vancouver. Hopefully we'll get to come back again in a couple of years. I'd like to spend more time in Alaska. Some of the land tours look amazing.

Received notice from TA I will be receiving a refund. Haven't seen it yet though, not sure how long it takes. :confused3

Count me in the kids with expensive activities category. Guitar, piano, film (classes and equipment :scared:), karate (just got her brown belt), soccer (rec not comp thank goodness), horseback riding, and now musical production - there's a costume fee, why didn't I know there was a costume fee? :sad2: On the plus side the film has paid off since the mentorships now pay him and he is starting to freelance.:woohoo:

Received notice from TA I will be receiving a refund. Haven't seen it yet though, not sure how long it takes. :confused3

Count me in the kids with expensive activities category. Guitar, piano, film (classes and equipment :scared:), karate (just got her brown belt), soccer (rec not comp thank goodness), horseback riding, and now musical production - there's a costume fee, why didn't I know there was a costume fee? :sad2: On the plus side the film has paid off since the mentorships now pay him and he is starting to freelance.:woohoo:

Wow, not just the expenses but what in the world does your calendar look like! :eek:

Anyone thinking about doing a prepaid photopackage? I made a photobook on our Dream cruise and loved that, was thinking about that this time but also wanted to actually get the pics (well more like them on a CD). I didn't get our CD the last time. Hmmmm decisions.

Those are some expensive little people! :scared::scared: That is awesome on the film mentorship. YAY!! But wow, I thought my kids were busy.

Wow, not just the expenses but what in the world does your calendar look like! :eek:

Anyone thinking about doing a prepaid photopackage? I made a photobook on our Dream cruise and loved that, was thinking about that this time but also wanted to actually get the pics (well more like them on a CD). I didn't get our CD the last time. Hmmmm decisions.

I did buy the CD the last time and I wish I hadn't. I'm not sure what I am going to do this cruise. I prefer the CD if I choose to buy anything.

I never received any notification about a refund but I noticed on my Credit Card account online there was a refund posted there for $29.xx from DCL that was posted on 2/14/14 so I guess I got one! Check your CC statements you may be surprised! :)

Chris31997 - I danced ballet from 3-17 and YES! I feel for you because as expensive as soccer is, ballet is insane. I remember practicing 5 hour long classes after school then coming home to homework. (I would teach the little kids Sat morning to offset one of the class fees) I remember falling asleep in the bathtub 3 different times when my mom ran in to wake me up. I am guessing she is on point now, because those metal shoes have to be replaced as often as cleats! You don't have the "travel" expenses, but you do have the performance fees. I hope she/he is able to get a scholarship somewhere for it as well. You have earned it after those costs.

In HI she was able to "pay" for classes by assisting in teaching, which helped alot. Cause she goes through those pointe shoes. She is harder on them than most. Her arch and feet:scared: Let alone those legs of steal from leaping and what not:eek: But here, it is a differant story. I am hoping that next year we can do a trade again.:rolleyes1 She has a couple of girlfriends in class, and I don't know how they do it. Late night at dance and then up for school. Thank goodness we homeschool. She would be a monster at school;)

Congrats on learning the multi quote. It comes in sooo handy.

I thought my calander was horrible. I think you need a vacation:goodvibes There is always a costume fee:crazy2: Not sure what I would like to avoid renting the costume or buying it:rolleyes:

Anyone seen the dining survey?? I guess DCL is asking people if they want to pick their rotation, Palo/Remy age be lowered, wine/dessert pairing upcharge thingy, and relaxed dress code for Palo/Remy at dinner. There is a thread about it. I was just curious if anyone here had been graced with the survey

What is this prepaid photo package you speak of and is there any savings benefits to buying ahead of time? We bought the CD on our last cruise, but not prior to the cruise. It was pricey, but we got some nice family portraits and I got some huge prints made at Shutterfly really cheap for family photo wall portraits that we really needed to update. I will probably end up buying the CD again this cruise even though I know it is a rip off!

In HI she was able to "pay" for classes by assisting in teaching, which helped alot. Cause she goes through those pointe shoes. She is harder on them than most. Her arch and feet:scared: Let alone those legs of steal from leaping and what not:eek: But here, it is a differant story. I am hoping that next year we can do a trade again.:rolleyes1 She has a couple of girlfriends in class, and I don't know how they do it. Late night at dance and then up for school. Thank goodness we homeschool. She would be a monster at school;)

Congrats on learning the multi quote. It comes in sooo handy.

I was just talking to my mom about this a few months or so ago. That I would have been better off home schooling because I was so exhausted. She said she didn't have enough confidence to home school me. I home school my kids as well. Much easier on all of us. :thumbsup2

I guess DCL is asking people if they want to pick their rotation, Palo/Remy age be lowered, wine/dessert pairing upcharge thingy, and relaxed dress code for Palo/Remy at dinner. There is a thread about it. I was just curious if anyone here had been graced with the survey

I haven't seen anything. Is this something that they have emailed people or maybe just a certain CC level? Not that I really have much to say since I've only been on one 3 nighter haha.

What is this prepaid photo package you speak of and is there any savings benefits to buying ahead of time? We bought the CD on our last cruise, but not prior to the cruise. It was pricey, but we got some nice family portraits and I got some huge prints made at Shutterfly really cheap for family photo wall portraits that we really needed to update. I will probably end up buying the CD again this cruise even though I know it is a rip off!

I am going to try to remember to find the link tonight when I'm on the computer. I don't believe our cruise is listed yet but the prepaying does save some money if you get it before rather than on the ship. Not a lot but hey it's money you can spend elsewhere then, right ;) it is linked from the DCL page though I just can't remember where exactly to say here.

Sent from Stephie's iPhone using DISBoards

My daughter swam for 10 years - year around team and for her high school for 4 years, also band for high school including marching band, there were some weekends where they had football game Friday night, marching band competition on Saturday and then a swim meet on Sunday.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter