May 2012 Car Rentals

Bumping to see if anyone is getting better rates now that it is getting closer. I keep checking everyday, but the lowest I've gotten is an SUV from Avis for $236 using the promotion I found on Mousesavers. Would really like to get under $200 if possible. We need at least a full size, but would prefer an SUV or mini-van. Crossing my fingers!

Bumping to see if anyone is getting better rates now that it is getting closer. I keep checking everyday, but the lowest I've gotten is an SUV from Avis for $236 using the promotion I found on Mousesavers. Would really like to get under $200 if possible. We need at least a full size, but would prefer an SUV or mini-van. Crossing my fingers!

I check twice a day! The best I got for my first week when I need something bigger is through Budget. I have an elite SUV/Explorer 7 seater for $200 after fees and coupons applied. We have 4 adults and 2 kids in car seats. We are worried about luggage, but we do own an explorer, so we know we can do it, it will be tight with the luggage. We are leaving the stroller behind. Right now I'm looking at a split reservation with one week a larger vehicle and the last 2 weeks a full size vehicle. I would love to get all three weeks together, but that's not working yet. Last May I paid around $100 a week base amount, so hoping for some major drops in Alamo/National, my preferred companies. Unfortunately as we get closer to Easter, the prices will start to go up, so we may not see any good prices until after Easter!

I got a mid-size from Alamo for $186, everything included. Not too horrible, but I'm still waiting for better rates (I think we're going to start seeing much better rates soon!!!).

It's still much too early to get the really great rates. They are starting to come down from the ridiculous "early bird" rates to a more reasonable level but still much too high for me. I noticed on one of the companies sites a little banner saying something like "Reseve early! Like airlines, rates may increase as the days get closer to pickup". Such nonsense and basically completely untrue! The most I've ever paid is about $120/week for a midsize and they always seem to start at something ridiculous like $500!!! I wonder how many people here on the boards who are so anti-car rental think that way because they get a quote 6 months out for something ridiculous like $600 and simply think it's too expensive.
I guess car rental companies bank on the business travelers who in many cases don't care what it costs because their companies foot the bill.

I got a mid-size from Alamo for $186, everything included. Not too horrible, but I'm still waiting for better rates (I think we're going to start seeing much better rates soon!!!).

Just re-booked the same car for $165 for 8 days. Not too bad - a price drop of $20 in about a day. I'll take it!

Just re-booked the same car for $165 for 8 days. Not too bad - a price drop of $20 in about a day. I'll take it!

Are you a costco member? I got a code from them that would give me a Friday-Sunday 10 Days...Full size..and it was just over $140!

Are you a costco member? I got a code from them that would give me a Friday-Sunday 10 Days...Full size..and it was just over $140!

Wow, super rate! But unfortunately I'm not a member (and I'm too much of a chicken to use a code that I don't deserve, haha!)

Wow, super rate! But unfortunately I'm not a member (and I'm too much of a chicken to use a code that I don't deserve, haha!)

Gotcha! I'm the same way! :) I am sure rates will start to go down once Easter is over...last Sept/Oct I got a 8 day van rental for $140! I love Alamo because its easy kiosk check in (no hassles) AND you get to pick your own car! I've even heard of minivans being in the fullsize section! :):thumbsup2

I'm a Costco member...would love a sweet code. I currently have a Hertz rental for May16-22 for $205 all taxes, fees in with additional driver and I paid with AmEx for the insurance that's included with my card. I thought that was a good rate, but yours beats it by a mile!

I looking to rent a car Friday thru Monday for a long weekend Trip to Syracuse from Buffalo as we are a one vechile family and my DH will be staying home for work But I noticed that if I do not have a airline ticket that want to charge my CC $300 on top of the rental. I not broke but I live locally and it is not like I'm gonna skip town or anything. Do all rentals follow this policy. I mean good thing I am not gonna use my debit card. They want to chage xtra $1000 on those.:eek:

Any car rentals place that do not charge this extra rate???

I looking to rent a car Friday thru Monday for a long weekend Trip to Syracuse from Buffalo as we are a one vechile family and my DH will be staying home for work But I noticed that if I do not have a airline ticket that want to charge my CC $300 on top of the rental. I not broke but I live locally and it is not like I'm gonna skip town or anything. Do all rentals follow this policy. I mean good thing I am not gonna use my debit card. They want to chage xtra $1000 on those.:eek:

Any car rentals place that do not charge this extra rate???

Not all rental locations do this. We use National out of Dulles airport often and they never require proof that you are flying. We sometimes pick up a minivan the night before a trip and drive it back the next day so that we don't have to pay parking at the airport. We do the same for the return home. Alamo is a sister company of National, so try this companies.

Not all rental locations do this. We use National out of Dulles airport often and they never require proof that you are flying. We sometimes pick up a minivan the night before a trip and drive it back the next day so that we don't have to pay parking at the airport. We do the same for the return home. Alamo is a sister company of National, so try this companies.

Great information. I used Alamo and signed up for insider member. Got a free upgrade from compact to Standard also free addtional driver. I added a GPS so from Thursday to Monday with taxes and surcharges I go this for $181. Not great but much better than I was finding.:thumbsup2

Thank you

dropped again today! Dollar city special 5/10-5/20 midsize was $236 on Wednesday, today booked for $212 total! Ya! Another $24 bucks saved! I tried figuring out all the codes posted on here, but I couldn't find anything that was lower, and think maybe I am just doing something wrong. I get errors when I put the codes in. Here's hoping for another drop!!

dropped again today! Dollar city special 5/10-5/20 midsize was $236 on Wednesday, today booked for $212 total! Ya! Another $24 bucks saved! I tried figuring out all the codes posted on here, but I couldn't find anything that was lower, and think maybe I am just doing something wrong. I get errors when I put the codes in. Here's hoping for another drop!!

Don't know if the additional driver matters to you but Dollar does charge $10/day extra even for spouse.

I just booked with Alamo, Compact Car; May 6-16 for 175 taxes included! Very happy with this rate considering we were looking at $350 when I started looking. I used the Visa code. It says to get this discount, all you have to do is use a Visa card.

I just used the Visa code also, and got 8 days for $149 total (mid-size). I plugged in the Costco code also, and the same days were about $10 less, but I don't have a Costco membership.

Boy, the rates have really fallen in the past week or so. My goal is to get something around $125. Fingers crossed.

What is the visa code again? I looked but didn't see it?:confused3

Visa code is 7015504

I know, the rates have dropped alot. I just booked Alamo for 17 days and have a price of $267 after taxes are added. My base rate is $92 a week before the discounts or taxes. I do love my National, but the same rental with them is over $600..... Since it's only the 2 of us, we'll be OK with a full size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter