MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

Got our first chance to try the new system today. Couldn't believe how easily and smoothly everything went. Multiple rides in a row on BTMRR and HM, on a holiday weekend no less. No one asked to collect our paper reminders. And the CM at HM was trying, unsuccessfully, to scan the reminders, not our passes. Ummm... we watched as her scanner didn't work time after time (duh), and she would just wave people through in frustration. DH and I managed to do more rides today than we have in a long time. :) One hitch: the FP line for Soarin' was longer and slow because people could not manage to get their tickets/passes out, despite the signs reminding them to do so.

Forgive if I am posting already shared - I have not seen it here yet.

Some more rumor/tidbits on MP and the new FP system from MiceChat. It sounds like the instant FP may be here to stay.

http://micechat.com/165197-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-max-pass

Does anyone have a list of which rides are doing instant FP?

:wizard:
I'm all for the instant fast pass, but found this part a bit harsh, "The end goal here is to add a lot more inventory to the existing Fastpass system so that the concept can be monetized and included as an up-charge offering to Disney hotel guests and premium ticket holders. " Sounds like the end goal is an upcharge for those already buying the farm. I don't like heading too far into a caste system. It makes it sound like the families who have discount tickets staying at a budget hotel won't even have this option at some point.

I'm all for the instant fast pass, but found this part a bit harsh, "The end goal here is to add a lot more inventory to the existing Fastpass system so that the concept can be monetized and included as an up-charge offering to Disney hotel guests and premium ticket holders. " Sounds like the end goal is an upcharge for those already buying the farm. I don't like heading too far into a caste system. It makes it sound like the families who have discount tickets staying at a budget hotel won't even have this option at some point.
From what I understand that writer tends to have a negative slant to his articles. It's an opinion piece.

From what I understand that writer tends to have a negative slant to his articles. It's an opinion piece.
Yes, one particular editor at MiceChat has that slant. A bit cynical and critical. His name is Al Lutz. This sounds like the kind of thing he would write. On the other hand he has been a unique source of inside information for many years.

Yes, one particular editor at MiceChat has that slant. A bit cynical and critical. His name is Al Lutz. This sounds like the kind of thing he would write. On the other hand he has been a unique source of inside information for many years.

Oh I'm not saying it is or it isn't correct just that it's opinion at this point. The entire article has a very "Disney Powers that be" are the debil type of vibe. Just over the years watching people get up in arms and downright frantic about changes and then adapting just fine I find myself taking a wait and see approach. Maxpass could be a huge hit but it could also be a huge fail.

Oh I'm not saying it is or it isn't correct just that it's opinion at this point. The entire article has a very "Disney Powers that be" are the debil type of vibe. Just over the years watching people get up in arms and downright frantic about changes and then adapting just fine I find myself taking a wait and see approach. Maxpass could be a huge hit but it could also be a huge fail.
Sorry, I was responding more to the PP and not you. It sounds like you are familiar with his posts historically. The PP took issue with the tone and I was trying to give some color commentary. :)

buying the farm.
Tangent alert: "buying the farm" is an old euphemism for dying, especially in battle, dating back at least to WWII, possibly WWI. I'm sure that's not what you meant, so the question is whether you're used to it being used with some other meaning, or are unaware of this meaning?

Sorry, I was responding more to the PP and not you. It sounds like you are familiar with his posts historically. The PP took issue with the tone and I was trying to give some color commentary. :)

No worries. I'm not taking issue with you not taking issue with me. :rotfl2:

The PP took issue with the tone and I was trying to give some color commentary. :)
I don't have an issue with the writer's tone. My issue was that the new fast pass would only be available to those staying in a Disneyland Hotel or Premium ticket holders. That immediately excludes the majority of the people in the park.
so the question is whether you're used to it being used with some other meaning
Lol, yes, used to a different meaning. I hear it often used to describe someone who overspends/over buys stuff.

I don't have an issue with the writer's tone. My issue was that the new fast pass would only be available to those staying in a Disneyland Hotel or Premium ticket holders. That immediately excludes the majority of the people in the park.
What I was trying to say is that is speculation. There's nothing to take issue with at the moment. That piece (the entire thing) had a very negative slant so I would take it with a grain of salt. We won't know what's going to happen until it happens. And if it does happen we will adapt like we have in the past.

My issue was that the new fast pass would only be available to those staying in a Disneyland Hotel or Premium ticket holders.

MaxPass has always been marketed at as an add-on purchase starting at $10/day per person. At this point NOTHING has been announced about exclusive access to Hotel Guests.

IF the extra advantage for those who stay onsite MIGHT BE TRUE IN THE NEAR FUTURE will this include DVC members ?
Also, do you think it may apply to signature AP's and higher?
I really think any of that won't be for a long while with the system just starting and everyone (including CM's) getting use to THIS CHANGE.

IF the extra advantage for those who stay onsite MIGHT BE TRUE IN THE NEAR FUTURE will this include DVC members ?
Also, do you think it may apply to signature AP's and higher?
I really think any of that won't be for a long while with the system just starting and everyone (including CM's) getting use to THIS CHANGE.
I cannot imagine Disney creating a FP system available only to hotel guests and DVC members. I can easily imagine (since they do it at WDW) a FP system available to all but tilted towards hotel guests as far as perks. Like maybe hotel guests get MaxPass for free and others have to pay for it.

We just spent a couple days at the park. Using the instant FP, we managed to get on a lot of rides without a lot of walking or waiting - we got to DCA at 6:58 on Friday, rode Guardians, had breakfast at Flo's, rode RSR standby, then back to Guardians to use our FP (that took a while - only 2 of the 6 elevators were working), then rode TSMM & Screamin' using instant FPs, got a soft serve ice cream & sat to eat it. Grabbed World of Color FPs (blue section) then pulled instant FPs for GRR, pulled FPs for Soarin' (a 35 min wait), rode GRR, bought popcorn & found a bench in the sun to eat it and try to dry out (we got soaked!!!), then rode Soarin'. We headed over to DL at noon. A very productive morning!!

When we got instant FPs for Big Thunder, the CM was collecting the tickets to recycle them. We kept ours since we wanted to see how many we used overall.

The ticket scanning went really well for us on all the rides, although I did notice it took longer at Splash to bring up the green circle.

I'll be happy if the instant FPs remain - it made for a very pleasant visit.

I cannot imagine Disney creating a FP system available only to hotel guests and DVC members. I can easily imagine (since they do it at WDW) a FP system available to all but tilted towards hotel guests as far as perks. Like maybe hotel guests get MaxPass for free and others have to pay for it.

This fits in more with other rumors I've read. I think it was meant that those staying at a Disney hotel could get Max Pass for free and those with the highest AP could get MP as part of their perks. I don't think it means that they will only sell to those people. After all, Disney already announced Max Pass publicly as an add on all could purchase.

This fits in more with other rumors I've read. I think it was meant that those staying at a Disney hotel could get Max Pass for free and those with the highest AP could get MP as part of their perks. I don't think it means that they will only sell to those people. After all, Disney already announced Max Pass publicly as an add on all could purchase.
I also doubt it would just be for onsite guests. It's not like they have trouble filling those rooms. And it's not like WDW where they have 25K rooms to fill every night.

I thought for sure MaxPass would be here by now!
Beginning to think I won't even have to deal with it next weekend!
Really thought I might...

Any chance they hold off until September? It will make longs longer for those of us that don't purchase it.

Why would it make lines longer? The stand by lines now are not longer and the FP lines are running more smoothly, for the most part. Not everyone will dash to buy MP. Many people on this board have already stated that they will not buy MP because it won't be a good value for their family. Others don't have smart phones. Even if you don't purchase the wi-fi part of MP, you will still be able to use the paper FPs just like always, the way guests are using FPs now. With the instant/short return times for many rides, the lines are hardly longer.

For example, last Saturday, we rode BTMRR 3 times in a row using FP. The return time was 1 minute out each time. The stand by time was about 35 minutes. I took a good look at the people at the end of that line when we went by so I could check how quickly that line moved. When we went by the third time, that group had moved forward, but, really... in that same amount of time, we were going on our third ride! Their line wasn't really longer than normal for a Saturday afternoon, but our line was great. And free. And easy.

Last edited:
I thought for sure MaxPass would be here by now!
Beginning to think I won't even have to deal with it next weekend!
Really thought I might...
We will be traveling to DLR for the first time at the end of the month. We are WDW vets. I've read most of this thread, but I'm still a little confused. I see ppl talking about the "new system" but that MaxPass isn't out yet. So is it still paper fast passes that you get from the kiosks at the actual rides as of now? If so, what makes that different from how it used to be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter