max time limit for timeshare presentation in Florida?

mlenmoore

Earning My Ears
have been googling and cannot find anything that confirms and/or references whether there is state law in Florida adressing how long one needs to sit in on a sales presentation. I remember seeing a comment on a thread somewhere on this board indicating 90 minutes. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Yes it's 90 minutes usually. They'll try to go over, but just tell them their 90 minutes is up and you would like your 'reward' now, whatever it is.

I don't believe there is a statutory maximum. It's whatever you agree to up front, as far as I know.

Of course, the "presentation" might only take 90 minutes, but you won't be sent through gifting right away. I would not wish a presentation on my worst enemy.

Most developers advertise a 90-minute presentation and many offer very low accommodation rates in exchange for a guest's agreement to participate in a 90-minute presentation. Sounds fairly quick and easy to get a low cost few days of vacation.

Before agreeing to this, you need to know that your household income has to meet or exceed a minimum level, if you're married both spouses have to attend the presentation, that you may be lodged at a location other than the resort that's being offered for sale (sometimes a related timeshare location, sometimes a hotel), and just what is considered part of the presentation time.

You may be transported from one location to another for the presentation, you may have a breakfast or other meal included, you may be asked to take a tour of the facility or a model villa, and you will most certainly be spending some time with a salesperson and his/her manager who may be a sales closer. Some or all of this may not be included in the 90-minute presentation time. And somewhere within your visit (maybe as part of a salesperson's discusion, maybe a seperate and distinct session) you'll have a 90-minute presentation.

Some timeshare developers will hold you up for several hours, some will try to track to a 90-minute timeframe.

It's really incumbent upon you to find out what's included and what's not before you start. If you're there only for the gift then taking a timeshare presentation probably isn't a good use of your time.

I agree with Brian Noble that whatever scant vacation time that people have isn't worth giving up to a timeshare presentation. If you're really interested in purchasing a timeshare buy one on the resale market, save thousands of dollars and don't put yourself through a presentation.

Dick Taylor

thanks everyone for the value added input. I have accepted an offer from what I feel is a reputable company - Starwood Vacation Ownership. I was solicited via mailer as I am a Starwood Preferred Guest cardholder since I often stay in Sheraton/Westin properties while travelling for business.

With a young family (kids 6 & 8) and a disney crazed wife the pressure was on as soon as the post card invitation from Starwood arrived in the mail for all to read. :) Another opportunity to return to Orlando and visit DW!!

5 days and 4 nights @ Sheraton Vistana Villages, Orlando - 1 bedroom villa - for $169 USD. I called to book and as expected was told that the price was conditional on a ' 90 minute ownership presentation' on the morning of the fourth day. For attending the presentation there is to be a 'cash gift' of $100 USD. As mentioned in this thread the conditions are that spouse and children are to accompany me.....that we confirm that household income meets certain minimum.

Since the $169 USD has been paid in full and booked this timeshare presentation has been wearing on me and I am trying to do my part to prepare in advance. I work in finance and have no intention of buying a timeshare directly from a developer - namely for reasons already mentioned in numerous threads on this board.

I have some printed material (confirmation letter) that indicates in writing that the presentation is a 90 minute presentation. I plan on printing off some listings on resale offers from exsitng owners @ Sheraton Vistana Villages to bring with me. I want to be polite and non confrontational - however I want to somehow set the ground rules right from the start and not let this presentation disrupt an enjoyable stay for my family. I realize this presentation is the "cost" to my/our "benefit" which is 4 nights for the normal cost of 1 night at the resort + $100 cash.

Any further comments or tips would be appreciated. Anybody out there in DISboards.com land sat through a presentation @ Sheraton Vistana Villages?

thanks again
Mike

Any further comments or tips would be appreciated. Anybody out there in DISboards.com land sat through a presentation @ Sheraton Vistana Villages?

I have never stayed at Vistana Villages or attended a presentation there but the only timeshare presentation that I've ever attended was at the older sister resort, Vistana Resorts in 1997. Also billed as a 90-minute presentation, our time spent was a little in excess of 2 1/2 hours. I'd guess that the sales pressure was moderate but unrelenting based on what I've heard from folks attending presentations at places like the various Westgate resorts but it took up much more time than we wanted to spend. The gift for attending was two $100 Disney Cash certificates. After many "no's" and a visit with the salesperson's manager we finally got to go on with our lives. But we've never attended another presentation primarily because of the experience.

I don't know if there have been changes within the Vistana group of resorts since then so you may find that you have a more positive experience. I'd suggest that you be frank with the salesperson right from the start. Tell him/her that you are only attending to get the reduced lodging rate and the gift, that you have no interest in purchasing a timeshare and only want to get through the presentation as quickly as you can. I don't know if any of that will help speed things along but you can't beat honesty.

On another note, we had a great stay at Vistana Resorts back in '97 and have stayed there another time since then. From what I've seen of Vistana Villages it looks like a top notch resort and one that I hope to stay at some day. So, hopefully, your resort stay will be a nice one.

Dick Taylor

in RCI magazine there is a new time limit - only seem it a few timeshares with this longer time but it is 120 minutes.

be sure before you start which it will be.

uggg. At least its not Westgate. They ate up 3 hours my son was crying the whole time bored out of his mind. We told them from the start we weren't buying and they treated us like crap and made us sit around FOREVER.... he went as slow as he could, he was nasty and told my son to be quite. I would not tell them our not interested untill your at the final sales pitch were the "closer" comes in. At that point tell them without seeing what else is available in the area your not sold yet or that you plan to look on the resale market.

I'm with Dick. The right way to do this is to be up front with the sales person. Tell them that:
  • You are ready and willing to meet your obligation to hear about how ownership there works.
  • You are aware of the timeshare resale market---both at Vistana Villages and other Orlando-area resorts. You are also aware that some perks and program features do not transfer to resale purchasers.
  • You are not buying anything that day, no matter what. They should not bother with any "today only" or other limited-time offers. They should only present you with offers that you are able to consider after getting back home and doing your due diligence over a reasonable period of time. Make it clear that you don't consider the recission period adequate for sufficient due diligence, so you won't sign anything that day with the idea that you'll rescind later if you change your mind.

Don't bother bringing in a set of resale asking prices. It tells the agent that you are researching a purchase, and that opens the door to negotiation---it gives the agent a reason to believe you can be sold. Worse, the sales agent will insist that it's not an apples to apples comparison---buying from the developer directly is "better". (And, they will be correct---resales cannot convert to StarPoints, and resale weeks at Villages cannot have their StarOptions combined with other resale weeks to reserve a "better" week in-system.)

On the other hand, going to far in the "I'm not buying" direction is also not necessarily a good sign---lots of people say they're not going to buy ever, and then get swept up in the manipulation of the sales pitch and sign anyway.

You're shooting for the middle ground. You're a well-educated, reasonable person who is willing to hear what they say, but you are not going to buy anything that day, period, because you plan to research any presented offers carefully at your leisure. If that means you miss out on "today only" bargains, that's okay.

Ideally, you'll get an experienced hand who quickly realizes you're a waste of his or her time, and will try to hustle you over to gifting so that s/he can move on to a target they are likely to be able to sell that day.

My mom treats timeshare sales presentations as periods of low stress down time. My dad tolerates my mom. My parents usually attend at least one sales pitch each vacation. They have no intention of buying anything!

Dad's favorite trick when they checkin for the presentation is to confirm the length of presentation and when they will be finished. He generally budgets an extra 30 minutes wait time. If the presentation was suppose to be 90 minutes and he is told they will be done in a little over two hours, then he refuses to take the presentation. The fun begins. Once you are at the sales office they don't want or let you leave.

My dad likes to make their life miserable holding them to whatever time they agreed to on check-in. My parents have always gotten their presentation gift.

They don't need the gift. I am not sure why my mom views this as peaceful downtime. I know dad greatly enjoys holding everyone to their finish time.

Another thing I learned is ask one or two questions to show interest, but STOP asking questions if you really have no intention of buying from the developer.

We went to a timeshare presentation this past sunday morning at Westgate. When you check in they ask you to acknowledge that you will be attending a 90 minute presentation, it is for the purpose of selling you a timeshare and the 90 minutes doesn't start until after you have whatever meal you showed up for. So if you linger over a meal having a nice conversation about the weather the clock hasn't started yet.

We also went to another sales presentation on Saturday morning but they were taking too long to find us a sales rep (with layoffs there are less salespeople to work) so we asked for our money back and left. They gave us a refund no questions asked and even offered us breakfast for our trouble.

One more thing: at some point, someone on the sales staff will try to get away with amortizing the purchase price across some long time horizon, but will ignore the time-value of that purchase price---in effect, they are amortzing at 0%.

When they do that, call them on it, and that will shorten your presentation considerably, because it makes it clear to them that you actually understand the time value of money. One of the big preconditions to most successful timeshare sales pitches is that the mark doesn't understand this concept.

The only thing I got too say about this is--if your not going too buy dont do it..They will lock you in a room and put the hard sale pitch on you to you give in!!:sad2:
Got suckerd one time-never again..I told them I'm not working had no money and they keep comming back to suck you dry!!!:mad:

wow...thanks everyone for your input and experieince. Greatly appreciated!! Lots of good hints/tips to consider. I will be sure to take my laptop with me and read this thread the morning of the presentation to be fully prepared.
Again.....I think that the best thing approach is to be mildly interested yet reserved as per Brian. Lay some ground rules regarding time limits and not appear overly informed on vacation ownership as this opens the door for more conversation and more of a sales pitch.

The kids tell me '41 more sleeps'. I will be sure to add onto this thread with my experience once it is over.

cheers
Mike

I told them I'm not working had no money and they keep comming back to suck you dry!!!
The problem with this approach is that they can work out "a payment plan" for pretty much any monthly number you care to name---if they have to, they just reduce what they are selling and extend the payback period to make it work.

You never want to get sucked into the "how much could you afford per month" discussion. If you do, you've already lost.

We went to one in January at Orange Lakes - boy they were brutal. The kept sending a different sales person over after I kept saying NO. Finally I had to get snarky with the last lady because my 2 year old was not feeling well and they simply didn't care but I did. I will be honest - even though they gave me a hassle it was totally worth it for the price of the stay we got! I say go for it....

Spending 90 minutes with my son is worth way more than anything any timeshare can offer me.

I have done a 2 in my lifetime. One with Silver Leaf, (never again) and one with Wyndam in San Antonio. It wasnt too bad, but I did have to get raw with them and finally asked for my tickets to Sea World. The salesman was ticked, and I ended up saying well that is why I am not buying from you because your attitude was nasty and you were not genuinly nice. (Oh well I got my tickets and out Hotel Voucher).

I do plan on doing on in June (if we go). And that one offers the Touch of Magic Tickets to Disney for $135 for 2 tickets and $130 for each additional ticket we need. That is a GREAT savings for us because we need those tickets. Even though I hate the sales pitches, I will endur it as long as it is early in the AM.

The problem with this approach is that they can work out "a payment plan" for pretty much any monthly number you care to name---if they have to, they just reduce what they are selling and extend the payback period to make it work.

You never want to get sucked into the "how much could you afford per month" discussion. If you do, you've already lost.

And, if you're not working, wouldn't that likely mean that you wouldn't meet the income criteria necessary for the great four nights for $169 deal? I'd just stay away from that ploy.

Dick Taylor

thanks everyone for the value added input. I have accepted an offer from what I feel is a reputable company - Starwood Vacation Ownership. I was solicited via mailer as I am a Starwood Preferred Guest cardholder since I often stay in Sheraton/Westin properties while travelling for business.

With a young family (kids 6 & 8) and a disney crazed wife the pressure was on as soon as the post card invitation from Starwood arrived in the mail for all to read. :) Another opportunity to return to Orlando and visit DW!!

5 days and 4 nights @ Sheraton Vistana Villages, Orlando - 1 bedroom villa - for $169 USD. I called to book and as expected was told that the price was conditional on a ' 90 minute ownership presentation' on the morning of the fourth day. For attending the presentation there is to be a 'cash gift' of $100 USD. As mentioned in this thread the conditions are that spouse and children are to accompany me.....that we confirm that household income meets certain minimum.

Since the $169 USD has been paid in full and booked this timeshare presentation has been wearing on me and I am trying to do my part to prepare in advance. I work in finance and have no intention of buying a timeshare directly from a developer - namely for reasons already mentioned in numerous threads on this board.

I have some printed material (confirmation letter) that indicates in writing that the presentation is a 90 minute presentation. I plan on printing off some listings on resale offers from exsitng owners @ Sheraton Vistana Villages to bring with me. I want to be polite and non confrontational - however I want to somehow set the ground rules right from the start and not let this presentation disrupt an enjoyable stay for my family. I realize this presentation is the "cost" to my/our "benefit" which is 4 nights for the normal cost of 1 night at the resort + $100 cash.

thanks again
Mike

I know this thread is a couple weeks out of date, but I wanted to jump in because we did the same exact time share deal at the Vistana Villages and it was really a great experience. The resort is beautiful and the presentation, at least for us, was very low pressure. You meet in a cafeteria type room and have coffee, danishes, etc. a sales person will introduce themselves, etc. You then will go sit in at a desk with your sales person. The kids can go play in a very secure, monitored area with video games, etc. I had no qualms about leaving my ds there (he was 6 on our first trip, and 7 1/2 on our second - yes we went back, but more on that in a bit). As I said, our sales guy was very low pressure and the whole thing took maybe an hour. We got our $100 in cash and were free to go. We DID, however, accept an offer to get a Starwood Amex and signed up for the "Explorer Package", which was, I think, $1400 for another four night stay in a 2 bedroom villa, with a total of (if memory serves) 42,000 starpoints added to our account. In retrospect, I'm not sure if I would have done that again, because I regretted a little bit that we had to split our stay again on our second trip to disney (1/2 on-site and half at the vistana villages). But, I freaking LOVE the amex. I run everything through that puppy and am now up to 82,000 starpoints and am planning on staying free at the Swan or Dolphin on our next trip (they are 10,000 starpoints per night for a free stay).

We went back for our second trip this past October and the 2 bedroom villa was gorgeous. The sales pitch was definitely harder this time, but Starwood is a pretty classy operation and there's no real sneaky tactics. Just stick to your guns and you're fine. We weren't buying no matter what.

All in all, we had a great experience with them, both times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter