• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Matt's August, 2014 Solo Trip Report.... dubbed "The Club Tour"

I was not going to miss out on one of the two pieces of Juju I had yet to obtain, so I stuck close to Adventureland until the Bengal BBQ opened. A quick trip on Pirates left me at 10:30 and still more time for some fun. Given that I haven't made it over to Tom Sawyer's Island (or whatever they think they are calling it these days), I headed for the raft and jumped onboard. I went counter clockwise around the island, checking out the mill area, the pontoon bridge, former secret exit from the Fort, Settler Graveyard, and watched people come down Splash Mountain. I must say, it is a HORRIBLE shame that so much of what made TSI so great is closed. Why not open the treehouse back up... Injun Joe's Cave... The Fort...All things kids these days desperately need more than they do screens and technology... I digress.. 20 minutes later, it was getting close to 11:00, so I hopped a raft back to the mainland and headed for Adventureland to get my Venomade.

DSC_1837%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1851%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1852%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1906%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1913%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1932%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1948%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1956%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1965%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1987%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1994%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2007%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2010%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2032%20(Large).jpg

11:00 on the dot I'm waiting for the BBQ to open. First through, I get my Venomade and a Spicy Beef Skewer. The skewer was pretty good, and surprisingly the Venomade was tasty as well. I REALLY liked the snake eggs... I ate every last one of them through my oversized straw...Thirty minutes later, I met my host in front of C33, and grabbed that coveted C33 D&B purse for the loving wife. While I had been waiting for my host, I had been camped out front of Cafe Orleans, and had observed quite a wait of people happening... who knew it was such a popular place. After my C33 purchase, I said my farewells to my host, thanked them for a TRULY MAGICAL opportunity again, and headed down to the Cafe to put my name in for that seemingly long wait.

DSC_2041%20(Large).jpg

Being a party of one, I was seated within just a few minutes...I absolutely needed some of the Gumbo (have I mentioned how much I love both Jambalaya and Gumbo?) and I just HAD to try the Monte Cristo I'd heard so much raving about. The Gumbo was great, however I could have used a bit more of it and a little less rice especially given the cost of that tiny cup of it. The Monte Cristo arrived and my server must have really liked the fruit sauce because he brought me three cups of it (I think it’s better without, but OK with the dipping sauce). My first bite and I thought.... beignet.. that's exactly what it tasted like. Second bite I got the cheese, Ham, Turkey... Third bite... I knew I was in for a challenge. Anybody who knows me knows I'm the type of guy they kick out of buffets for eating too much and the type who bus boys love because my plate usually looks like it came out of a dishwasher at the end of my meal because it’s practically licked clean. Never met food I didn't like which is probably why I'm 30# overweight. The Monte Cristo... it bested me. I finished about 3.5 of the four squares, and I just couldn't eat any more. It was just too rich and heavy even for me. Definitely a split with the family type of thing. I paid for my food, and decided I really didn't feel like walking all the way over to Trader Sam's to get my last piece of Juju... I formulated a plan to get me both scenic experience and save me some walking... I was to be undone in this endeavor however...

DSC_2045%20(Large).jpg

12:30 had me waiting at the NOS DLRR stop. Train was running pretty slow and it took a while for one to show up. Maybe they were down a train that day..I took the train around to Toon Town Station, and got off at Tomorrowland. My idea was to take the Monorail over to DTD and then have a really short walk to the DLH and Trader Sam's. I got about half way up the ramp and realized something was wrong. The line was WAY longer than it should have been. Right then a CM came on and said they were only running ONE Monorail that day, and it would be 15 minutes between trains. By the look of things it would be 3-4 trains before I could board, and I was standing in no-shade direct sun (one of Tomorrowland's downfalls). I hopped the divider to the exit lane and headed out. I knew that the train was a no-go as well as the platform to board was packed when I had left, so I had to head through Tomorrowland and down Main Street and just hoof it through DTD. I cleared the DL gates at 13:14 and made my way through DTD to the DLH.

DSC_2053%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2057%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2061%20(Large).jpg

Made it to Sam's a short walk later and plunked down in the two stools next to the server station (Needed a stool for my C33 bag and backpack). Told the bartender I had found a recipe they were looking for. He took it from me, examined it closely, looked at me incredulously, and asked if I'd like him to make it for me. I said absolutely. A few minutes later a concoction of Tiki Drool, Back Side of Water, and Spider Eggs was placed in front of me. I took a sip... it was pretty good. I had earned my last piece of Juju, the Tiki. I also was awarded a pin denoting me as an Enchanted Tiki Friend.

I sipped my drink and watched the usual goings on of Uh-Oha, Krakatoa explosions, and Shipwreck on the Rocks occurring... After my Juju juice was gone, I decided to have a Mosquito Mojito as I really enjoyed the one I had a couple nights prior. I watched as more weary Adventure seekers came and went in their quest for Juju. Around 14:30, I was cooled down, refreshed, and ready to make the trek back to the Mickey and Friends Parking area to drop off some extra weight/items.

I cut through the Fantasy tower of the DLH, and walked the block or so up to the parking area. Dropped off my C33 merchandise and my HippopotoMai-Tai glass I had exchanged (the one from the previous night had a flaw in it I found when I had inspected it prior to packing that morning). That accomplished, I hopped on a tram and headed back towards the parks. I went for DCA this time, and was lucky enough to catch a Red Car Trolley boarding right as I made it through the turnstiles at 14:55.

We headed towards Tower of Terror with a few stops in between. It was a fun ride, and something I had never done before. We were told stories of the original red car line, and watched as some shows went by us over at the Hollywood back lot. I got off at the TOT, grabbed a fast pass for it, and headed through Bugs land for Cars land. I went towards RSR to try for a ride, but it was 101 when I got up to the queue at 15:20. Undaunted, I decided to check out Pacific Wharf.

I grabbed a Tower 10 from the Karl Straus Beer Truck, and headed over to the Bakery tour. What better than an IPA and some sourdough... I watched the tour info, and examined all the machinery and processes in that ever so nice refrigerated air. Once I finished the tour around 15:40, I looked at all the information on the cannery history and the fortunes and industry which were built on sardines before the rapid decline which occurred after WWII.

DSC_2064%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2067%20(Large).jpg

By now it was getting close to my FP return time for TOT. I headed that way, got in the FP line, and was on the ride extremely quickly. I swear the ride gets shorter and less drops every time I ride it. It is over WAYYYYY too soon. Leaving TOT at 4:18, I wandered towards the back lot just taking the details in. I really never spend any time over there, so I wanted to really soak it all in.

DSC_2069%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2072%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2078%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2092%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2094%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2095%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2098%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2102%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2109%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2113%20(Large).jpg

As I was wandering around the back lot I noticed the Aladdin show schedule. My interest piqued, I went over and inquired with the Cast Member how long of a show it was. I was told 45 minutes. I thought hey, this is my chance as I've never had the time to do it before. I got in queue for the Mezzanine level, and patiently waited... hot... sweating... wishing for the cool refreshing refrigerated air of an indoor queue vs. standing out in the sun with high humidity and no breeze....Finally the lines started moving, and I settled into my chair about half way up the mezzanine level next to a support column (presumably) in the middle of the theater. After a few minutes, the lights went down and the show started. Let me tell you.... this was SUCH A GREAT PRODUCTION!!!!!! I can't give it enough compliments... the effects GREAT... the Acting SUPERB... the flying carpet.... BLEW MY MIND!!!!! My only criticism is the overuse of modern pop culture references in the comedy from the genie, but that really didn't take away much of anything from the production. I'm taking the wife when we are there for Dapper Days, and we'll have to figure out how to work it in for the kids as well when we are there for our family trip in October. It’s simply a marvelous production done with the HIGH quality one expects from Disney.

DSC_2125%20(Large).jpg

I exited the theater around 17:45 and was starting to get hungry. I wandered down the back lot, briefly considered Award Weiner’s, Carthay Lounge, and even wandered through Wine Country Tratoria, but remembered that the clam chowder over at Pacific Wharf looked and smelled good and I had already blown the budget on this trip, so something a little simpler was probably the best idea. I headed over there, got a bowl of it, and devoured it. Sooo good... Completely ate my bowl's "lid" as well. To wash it down, what else but my favorite on-property beer... another Tower 10 from the Straus beer truck.

By now it was 18:15. I knew that the Cars Land lighting was going to happen about 19:40, so I had some time. I headed over to RSR at 18:40 and hopped in the SR line. It was backed up nearly under the bridge and NOT moving. I determined it would be a while, and I wasn't waiting, so hopped to the exit and made my way over to Luigi's Flying Tires. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the queue of this. Unfortunately, it moves so fast I didn't even have time to snap a pic or two of it. Maybe next time. I was on the ride in a matter of a few minutes, and was able to REALLY get that tire a moving... fun time.. better than last time I rode it. By 18:50 I was off it, and running short on time for most major attractions... I walked down to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, saw there was pretty much no line, so I jumped on it. I think it’s weight-based, because I was getting some pretty good whips going. They were short a few trailers on my platter for some reason too. Wonder what makes them take the trailers offline.

After Mater's it was time to get a drink and pick out a spot to watch the lighting from. I grabbed a vitamin water from Filmore's and staked out the bench across from Flo's all to myself. As I got to the bench, they had a street show going with some singing girls and one of the beat box cars. I watched that show till it ended, and then just sat there taking it all in. They brought Mater by not too much afterwards, and Lightening McQueen going the opposite direction immediately after that.

Around 19:40, the music started!!! The neon started lighting up coming from the courthouse and going towards Sarge's down at the other end. I had never used my DSLR as a video camera, and in fact this was my first body which had that feature, so I tried it out and videoed it. It’s a little shaky for my liking, but not bad for a first try while holding over my head. I'll get that up on YouTube in a bit and post a link. After the lighting, it was time to go. I still had to drive back to San Diego, and my legs and feet were killing me (did I mention I had a blister on the ball of my foot?).

I took my time on the way out of DCA just admiring all the Disney touches to everything. As I neared the exit, a CM asked if I would take a survey. Always glad to give my opinion, I obliged. I was taken into the Chamber of Commerce, through a door, down a hallway, and into a room with terminals set up. I took the survey, which primarily asked me about my dining experiences at DCA. After about 5 mins or so, I was done, and headed through the esplanade towards the trams. Got the car without much ado, left the property, jumped on the 5, and made it back to the condo in San Diego in a little over an hour. I had a 10:00 flight back to Phoenix the next morning, and had to clean the room/change the bedding, so it was lights out as soon as I got back.

DSC_2145%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2146%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2151%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2158%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2171%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2187%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2189%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2193%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2209%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2210%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2216%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2220%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2227%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2231%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2234%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2244%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2251%20(Large).jpg

So here is the haul from this trip....

We'll start up top and go clockwise... New C33 bag (actually had two ), the Uh-Oa Tiki Mug, the HippopotoMai-Tai Tiki Mug, the new C33 Latte Mug, the New C33 Ears, The new C33 Keychain, all my Juju and button from the Adventureland Trading Company, A new C33 ball cap, and the Dooney and Bourke C33 cross body purse.

DSC_2253%20(Large).jpg

Close up of the new logo keychain for one of my managers...$30

DSC_2256%20(Large).jpg

New logo ball cap... $35

DSC_2258%20(Large).jpg

New logo latte mug... $20

DSC_2259%20(Large).jpg

New C33 Dooney. Royal Blue exterior, Leather C33 tag, C33 logoed red interior, tan leather strap.....$198 (yowza... if only C33 took AP discount).

DSC_2261%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2295%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2298%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2299%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2300%20(Large).jpg

And for a little bit of reference, some old vs. new C33 stuff where I have it. Let's start with the bags. Old is much more subdued. The new, is much like the club, loud, bright, and noticeable. They are definitely going for more show and flair all around.

DSC_2263%20(Large).jpg

The new cap next to the old one... Again, brighter, more textures, and writing on the back to let you know what it is if you can't see the logo on the front.

DSC_2266%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2271%20(Large).jpg

The new ears next to the old ones. Same as the other merchandise... brighter, louder, and plussed with the logoed liner vs. the plain black of the old ears. New ears...$25

DSC_2274%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2277%20(Large).jpg

The new mug next to the old one. The old one is my coffee cup at work.. use it every day I'm there. Its a matte finish, with matte gold logo. The new one, glossy finish with metallic gold logo. Another style I have of the old logo.. glossy black and matte gold logo.

DSC_2278%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2285%20(Large).jpg

The Tiki mugs I was missing from my collection of currently offered Trader Sam's Tiki mugs..Uh-Oa and HippopotoMai-Tai Tiki Mugs. And the entire collection... The Tiki Sipper, Shipwreck on the Rocks, Uh-Oa, HippopotoMai-Tai, Krakatoa Punch, and Shrunken Zombie Head.

DSC_2287%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2293%20(Large).jpg

LOVE that little Dooney...you done good! Thanks for the trip report and all the photos too. One thing is for certain, your trips are always full-on! Nice!

Angrose said:
LOVE that little Dooney...you done good! Thanks for the trip report and all the photos too. One thing is for certain, your trips are always full-on! Nice!

That's the only way to do Disney. FULL-ON!!

Hi! I found and FINISHED your TR today! I seriously loved it! So many things to mention and I will do my best to cover all the areas.
1. I loved your photos. I'm a local and you really captured the beauty of DLP and DCA!!! One day I hope to be at carsland when the lights are turned on.
2. That is so neat that you did the new tour at DCA. Last month I did a solo day trip (sans DH, DD, & DS). I treated myself to lunch at Carthay Circle Lounge and LOVED it!!! So much in fact that I'm planning a birthday day trip with DH while the kids are in school. We will ride what we want & eat what we want without worrying if the menu has macaroni & cheese! :lmao:
3. I think you are ULTRA COOL for being a member of Club 33. I mean it...soooo cool! I had to show those pics to DH.
4. I'm a shopper at heart, especially of Disney items. You did a fantastic job shopping for the Club 33 merchandise. Hopefully your DW is in love with her crossbody D & B purse! :flower3:
5. I'm so impressed that you were able to take such photogenic pictures. :cool2:
6. Your adventures for shopping for "juju" items really confused me. I had been reading on a couple threads & I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Sounds like a scavenger hunt. Where and how did you start? :confused3
7. Can't wait to hear about your family's October trip. I'm doing my birthday day trip with DH on October 24th.

Thanks for posting! :wave2:

Hi! I found and FINISHED your TR today! I seriously loved it! So many things to mention and I will do my best to cover all the areas.
1. I loved your photos. I'm a local and you really captured the beauty of DLP and DCA!!! One day I hope to be at carsland when the lights are turned on.

Thanks!!! I missed it by a precious few seconds a few trips back, so I wasn't going to miss it this time.

2. That is so neat that you did the new tour at DCA. Last month I did a solo day trip (sans DH, DD, & DS). I treated myself to lunch at Carthay Circle Lounge and LOVED it!!! So much in fact that I'm planning a birthday day trip with DH while the kids are in school. We will ride what we want & eat what we want without worrying if the menu has macaroni & cheese! :lmao:
Its definitely something you want to do. The wife and I are doing a sans-kids trip in 2 weeks for another dapper day trip. Can't wait. The tour wasn't the new California Story tour, just the free Carthay Circle Tour... I'd HIGHLY recommend it.

3. I think you are ULTRA COOL for being a member of Club 33. I mean it...soooo cool! I had to show those pics to DH.
OH, I'm not a member. Just a very lucky person who has been afforded some great opportunities to visit the club by some generous members.

4. I'm a shopper at heart, especially of Disney items. You did a fantastic job shopping for the Club 33 merchandise. Hopefully your DW is in love with her crossbody D & B purse! :flower3:
Oh she sure likes it, but I've purchased her a mountain of D&B and Vera Bradley Disney stuff... so much so that she was using that uber rare Haunted Mansion Dooney for a diaper bag.. I think I could hear the shreeks of other Disers when I posted a pic of it full of diapers and baby wipes.

5. I'm so impressed that you were able to take such photogenic pictures. :cool2:
Thanks!!! A few hundred thousand shutters-worth, and you tend to get somewhat proficient with a camera, and the hardware is on the high-end, so I don't really have to have all that much skill.

6. Your adventures for shopping for "juju" items really confused me. I had been reading on a couple threads & I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Sounds like a scavenger hunt. Where and how did you start? :confused3

They are kind of like scavenger hunts. You get clues, have to decipher them, and do challenges/quests to get the prize.

7. Can't wait to hear about your family's October trip. I'm doing my birthday day trip with DH on October 24th.

Thanks for posting! :wave2:
We'll be there that day... it will be our last day in the park before heading back to Phoenix (and hopefully catching the give kids the world AZ Dis meet which is only a mile or two from my house).

Hi, Matt! I am strongly considering the Carthay Circle tour you did when I go in October with DH for my birthday. Who did you call/email? TIA! :)

You just meet at the entrance to Carthay at 10:30. No reservations required.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Does this mean that the tour takes 1 1/2 hours? Just wondering because I thought the lounge & restaurant don't open until 12 noon. I'm still contemplating whether or not we will eat at the lounge vs restaurant. On my preTR, someone mentioned requesting a private room. However, it's just DH and I. Does the private room have a charge? Thanks again!:worship:

Thank you for your quick reply!

Does this mean that the tour takes 1 1/2 hours? Just wondering because I thought the lounge & restaurant don't open until 12 noon.

Its before the restaurant opens, and takes oh.. 20-30 minutes I'd say.

I'm still contemplating whether or not we will eat at the lounge vs restaurant. On my preTR, someone mentioned requesting a private room. However, it's just DH and I. Does the private room have a charge? Thanks again!:worship:
The large private room has a minimum charge ($1k and seats 12), but the two smaller ones I'm not sure on. I think they seat 6 each.

Its before the restaurant opens, and takes oh.. 20-30 minutes I'd say.

The large private room has a minimum charge ($1k and seats 12), but the two smaller ones I'm not sure on. I think they seat 6 each.

Hi, Matt! I just got off the phone with Disney Dining. We plan on doing the free tour at 10:30. I made a reservation for DH & I at 11:30 (earliest dining reservation time allowed for that day). She put in my requests 1) my birthday and 2) small private room. I DID confirm that the small private room is FREE!!! :cool1::thumbsup2:cheer2:

Thanks again for your help! I'm tooooo excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter