Masks back at DL starting July 30

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that the discussion here should be geared to travel planning at Disneyland. Please do not include any speculative comments or comments on what is happening at other places. Some of the posts are right on that line and I really would rather not delete then, so please heed the posted Covid thread. Thanks.

Can you clarify what you mean about speculation? I am confused why trying to determine what conditions are likely to be like in Disneyland in the future isn't closely tied to travel planning at Disneyland. I personally have found people's speculation to be helpful in trying to plan. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean and want to follow the rules.

Can you clarify what you mean about speculation? I am confused why trying to determine what conditions are likely to be like in Disneyland in the future isn't closely tied to travel planning at Disneyland. I personally have found people's speculation to be helpful in trying to plan. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean and want to follow the rules.

I wonder about this as well. I wanted to know a couple of days ago how people thought Disney would respond to the increase in cases as I am planning our trip in December. I had read the stickied post so thought asking was okay as it wasn't looking to debate or get political. My post was taken down yet we are allowed to discuss here a day or so later. I got my answer by reading through this thread, but I just wonder why some posts are allowed while others are not. I respect the moderators and know they volunteer their time here, I just wish I had a better understanding of what crosses the line and what does not.

Exactly! Going in less than two weeks and others "speculation" on what our experience may be like is the only reason I am even reading this.

Just to be clear: masks are required in all lines and rides? I guess I’m still confused. Are there any lines masks are not required in? Thanks for clarifying for me.

I'm a bit confused as to masking in queues. I get 'indoor queues=masks'. But there are outdoor queues in which you are cheek-by-jowl with people turn and turn again in multiple switchbacks (PotC, parts of HM, Indy) during busy times. Is masking being required in those queues?

I'm vaxxed, but I'll be wearing one in queues like that (possibly all queues) of my own choice because I don't want to be standing so close to so many other people in such a confined (albeit outdoor) area.

Last edited:
Just to be clear: masks are required in all lines and rides? I guess I’m still confused. Are there any lines masks are not required in? Thanks for clarifying for me.

I sure hope masks aren't required in outside queues. The assumption that they won't be is one of the reasons we haven't cancelled our trip.

I'm a bit confused as to masking in queues. I get 'indoor queues=masks'. But there are outdoor queues in which you are cheek-by-jowl with people turn and turn again in multiple switchbacks (PotC, parts of HM, Indy) during busy times. Is masking being required in those queues?

I'm vaxxed, but I'll be wearing one in queues like that (possibly all queues) of my own choice because I don't want to be standing so close to so many other people in such a confined (albeit outdoor) area.

Masks are required for All indoor actives (rides, eating, shopping).

Currently in DCA and it's been masks need for most every ride. Only ride that didn't was GRR, although we haven't gone to Pixar Pier yet and several outdoor rides there.

Although if a ride has an indoor components, then mask will be required like RSR.

Rides that are fully outdoors with queues that are outdoors do not require masks. But any time you step foot inside a building, they will remind you to put your mask on. If the queue is outside but the ride is inside, they will ask you to put the mask on before boarding (ie Snow White).

It’s been pretty smooth. Some people didn’t get the memo and didn’t have a mask. They didn’t have extra masks at the bus stop for those guests. But there were also some disposable masks being given out around the park. But it’s not a guarantee, so guests are being reminded when entering the park that they will need one.

And the CMs have been amazing as always.

OK so it does sound like indoors (queues, rides, shops, etc) = mask but outdoor portions of queues you dont have to wear one. This tracks with CDC guidance that's only recommending masks in indoor public spaces. Makes sense that if a ride is part outdoor part indoor tllike RSR they'd just go ahead and require masks the whole time because you don't want to ask people to just fling on a mask mid-ride.

Anyone know about a ride like BTMR or Matterhorn that are semi indoors but mostly outdoors? I'm guessing no masks but just curious.

Interesting how split we, even here in this group, are about this topic. I am one of the people who was tentatively planning an October trip but was worried about facing unmasked, only partially vaccinated crowds. I’ve been fully vaccinated and thus unlikely to get extremely sick if catching the virus, but I worry about those too young for the shot and those (e.g. immunocompromised), whose bodies don’t react fully to the vaccine and who therefore don’t get the same level of protection.

This is why this new policy makes it far more likely that our October trip is in fact going to happen (we had booked two separate Disneyland trips last year, both of which ended up canceled) 🙁.

Yes, indoor masks are a hassle, but I feel they are important, not just because even vaccinated folks can have breakthrough infections and still infect others, who are more vulnerable, but also to show solidarity with the little ones who still have to be masked. My kids are 13 and 15 now. Both understand why protecting others is important. However, when they were little, they would probably had huge issues with it in their eyes being “unfair,” if they had to wear masks and other guests wouldn’t have to. I believe that the perceived “fairness” and shared hassle of universal indoor masking would have made a huge difference to them.

To me, this is not about “fear” but about kindness (and totally in line with Walt Disney’s original vision of a kinder, more caring, less self-obsessed, better world). That is why, to me, trading the comfort of my perfect, escapist bubble for protecting others, who are more vulnerable, is worth it. To be willing to endanger others (or to, since, given all the misinformation and vaccine hesitancy that are out there, I doubt that this will go away any time soon, make it too risky for them to visit for the indefinite future), in order to maintain my own sense of normalcy, seems antithetical to so many of the ideas, which Disney supposedly stands for. 😔

In my “perfect,” hypothetical fantasy world, DLand would abandon all capacity restrictions, institute indoor masking permanently, bring back Fastpass/Maxpass/EMH/unlimited hopping, but also ask for proof of vaccination and rapid-testing of everyone who isn’t able or willing to get vaccinated (as well as giving refunds and maybe some kind of generous make-up gift/access to a VIP quarantine lounge for those testing positive and not being able to visit the parks). This would still not guarantee 100% safety—there simply is no such thing, since there would be people who use fraudulent vaccination cards and people who were infected so recently that the test wouldn’t yet identify them as potential spreaders—but it would maximize safety, based on what we currently know (from peer reviewed studies rather than official government announcements and various people’s random opinions) about transmission and risk.

I don’t think the above scenario will happen, though, since it would most likely trigger a huge backlash of potential visitors from areas, in which many people think that this disease isn’t such a big deal.

If this post overstepped the line as to what is permissible talking about here, I apologize. In this case please feel free to delete away…

Interesting how split we, even here in this group, are about this topic. I am one of the people who was tentatively planning an October trip but was worried about facing unmasked, only partially vaccinated crowds. I’ve been fully vaccinated and thus unlikely to get extremely sick if catching the virus, but I worry about those too young for the shot and those (e.g. immunocompromised), whose bodies don’t react fully to the vaccine and who therefore don’t get the same level of protection.

This is why this new policy makes it far more likely that our October trip is in fact going to happen (we had booked two separate Disneyland trips last year, both of which ended up canceled) 🙁.

Yes, indoor masks are a hassle, but I feel they are important, not just because even vaccinated folks can have breakthrough infections and still infect others, who are more vulnerable, but also to show solidarity with the little ones who still have to be masked. My kids are 13 and 15 now. Both understand why protecting others is important. However, when they were little, they would probably had huge issues with it in their eyes being “unfair,” if they had to wear masks and other guests wouldn’t have to. I believe that the perceived “fairness” and shared hassle of universal indoor masking would have made a huge difference to them.

To me, this is not about “fear” but about kindness (and totally in line with Walt Disney’s original vision of a kinder, more caring, less self-obsessed, better world). That is why, to me, trading the comfort of my perfect, escapist bubble for protecting others, who are more vulnerable, is worth it. To be willing to endanger others (or to, since, given all the misinformation and vaccine hesitancy that are out there, I doubt that this will go away any time soon, make it too risky for them to visit for the indefinite future), in order to maintain my own sense of normalcy, seems antithetical to so many of the ideas, which Disney supposedly stands for. 😔

In my “perfect,” hypothetical fantasy world, DLand would abandon all capacity restrictions, institute indoor masking permanently, bring back Fastpass/Maxpass/EMH/unlimited hopping, but also ask for proof of vaccination and rapid-testing of everyone who isn’t able or willing to get vaccinated (as well as giving refunds and maybe some kind of generous make-up gift/access to a VIP quarantine lounge for those testing positive and not being able to visit the parks). This would still not guarantee 100% safety—there simply is no such thing, since there would be people who use fraudulent vaccination cards and people who were infected so recently that the test wouldn’t yet identify them as potential spreaders—but it would maximize safety, based on what we currently know (from peer reviewed studies rather than official government announcements and various people’s random opinions) about transmission and risk.

I don’t think the above scenario will happen, though, since it would most likely trigger a huge backlash of potential visitors from areas, in which many people think that this disease isn’t such a big deal.

If this post overstepped the line as to what is permissible talking about here, I apologize. In this case please feel free to delete away…

A very thoughtful post and I respect your views 100%.

However, as someone who cancelled our mid-September trip based on the new mask requirements, which added to the lack of Fastpass/Maxpass, EMH, Fatasmic, I do respectfully disagree with the premise that this might reflect me not wanting to “protect” the vulnerable.

Rather, the Disney experience for us would be so diluted that it wouldn’t be worth the thousands of dollars we were going to pay.

For us the Disney “bubble” takes us away from the day/day problems of the world, and being in a mask, and looking at hundreds of others all day in a mask, and listening and watching people play mask police…takes us completely out of our cherished bubble.

This makes no judgment on what the mask rules should be, it simply is us exercising our right to not pay thousands of dollars for a severely diluted experience.

I will say though, that it is a slippery slope in saying we are all obligated to protect others who might not take all available precautions:

If someone is worried about getting Covid, it just might make sense for that person to not go to a crowded amusement park, and if they do, then it kind of is his/her personal responsibility.

Again though, no judgment on the new policies from me, just not going to go right now.

However, as someone who cancelled our mid-September trip based on the new mask requirements, which added to the lack of Fastpass/Maxpass, EMH, Fatasmic, I do respectfully disagree with the premise that this might reflect me not wanting to “protect” the vulnerable. […] Again though, no judgment on the new policies from me, just not going to go right now.
Thank you so much for elaborating and for reminding me that each of us have to assess, based on what matters to each particular family, if such an altered experience is worth the big bill that any Disney trip comes with, and for, even more importantly, reminding me that this ABSOLUTELY DOESN’T MEAN that somebody, for whom masks and a great Disney vacation are just not a good combo, doesn’t care about the well-being others. ❤

Thank you also for wording what you said with such kind thoughtfulness and respect. ❤❤❤ This is a topic that can really stir up passions, and conversations such as this one give me hope for our country’s (and the parks) being able to, over time, heal and recover from this (not just from the virus but also from the occasional frustration with one another’s actions and attitudes that such difficult situations can come with).
🙂

This is what I love about DisBoards! We might not always arrive at the same conclusions but sharing our love for all things Disney can cover and soften a multitude of differences and disagreements.

Here’s hoping that my concerns that indoor masks are here to stay for a long, long time are far too pessimistic, that Life will pleasantly surprise me by having this pass sooner rather than later, and that you and I will at some point in the hopefully near future be able to enjoy the parks the way they are meant to be enjoyed—joyfully, playfully, and with all our worries left far away…
🤞🤞🤞

Thank you so much for elaborating and for reminding me that each of us have to assess, based on what matters to each particular family, if such an altered experience is worth the big bill that any Disney trip comes with, and for, even more importantly, reminding me that this ABSOLUTELY DOESN’T MEAN that somebody, for whom masks and a great Disney vacation are just not a good combo, doesn’t care about the well-being others. ❤

Thank you also for wording what you said with such kind thoughtfulness and respect. ❤❤❤ This is a topic that can really stir up passions, and conversations such as this one give me hope for our country’s (and the parks) being able to, over time, heal and recover from this (not just from the virus but also from the occasional frustration with one another’s actions and attitudes that such difficult situations can come with).
🙂

This is what I love about DisBoards! We might not always arrive at the same conclusions but sharing our love for all things Disney can cover and soften a multitude of differences and disagreements.

Here’s hoping that my concerns that indoor masks are here to stay for a long, long time are far too pessimistic, that Life will pleasantly surprise me by having this pass sooner rather than later, and that you and I will at some point in the hopefully near future be able to enjoy the parks the way they are meant to be enjoyed—joyfully, playfully, and with all our worries left far away…
🤞🤞🤞

Well said, and when the day comes that Disneyland is fully back:

Churros and Dole Whips on me👍

All of it, well said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter