Mary Poppins Returns

Overall, I super enjoyed this film. Dick Van Dyke made me so deliriously happy I can't even explain it, haha! Also in the camp that Emily Blunt was fantastic and spot on.
I am quite sure I will be in the minority here, but here goes.... I was not a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda in this film. :duck:I thought it was just me, because no one can possible compare to DVD for me, but my DH actually brought this up before I did. I am a big fan of Lin-Manuel, I just really didn't think he fit well in this film. I don't really have anyone to suggest as an alternative, and I really don't have anything specific as to why, he just kind of distracted me in a negative way, border lining on annoying at some points. Also didn't super love Michael, but he didn't bother me nearly as much.

I did super enjoy the children and the warm fuzzy feelings I got from seeing good "old school" 2D animation back on the big screen. Did anyone else go home with "Beautiful Brimey Sea" stuck in their head? Just me? :laughing: I think it was a combination of the under water scene and seeing Angela at the end of the film. Her delightful cameo gave me warm fuzzies as well, but left me wondering if that was meant for Julie Andrews instead. Also, seeing Admiral Boom and Ellen again was a nice nostalgic surprise!

Overall, I give this film a very solid B+ and that will likely go up with repeat viewings! Hoping to catch it at least once more while its in theaters!

We went to see it Xmas Eve and found it very enjoyable. A perfect movie to see during the season

I know I said it for the genie, but the Rock would have also been a better Mary Poppins too. Those kids would have never got out of line.

sort of already done

518HNBZDBML._SY445_.jpg

Overall, I super enjoyed this film. Dick Van Dyke made me so deliriously happy I can't even explain it, haha! Also in the camp that Emily Blunt was fantastic and spot on.
I am quite sure I will be in the minority here, but here goes.... I was not a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda in this film. :duck:I thought it was just me, because no one can possible compare to DVD for me, but my DH actually brought this up before I did. I am a big fan of Lin-Manuel, I just really didn't think he fit well in this film. I don't really have anyone to suggest as an alternative, and I really don't have anything specific as to why, he just kind of distracted me in a negative way, border lining on annoying at some points. Also didn't super love Michael, but he didn't bother me nearly as much.

I did super enjoy the children and the warm fuzzy feelings I got from seeing good "old school" 2D animation back on the big screen. Did anyone else go home with "Beautiful Brimey Sea" stuck in their head? Just me? :laughing: I think it was a combination of the under water scene and seeing Angela at the end of the film. Her delightful cameo gave me warm fuzzies as well, but left me wondering if that was meant for Julie Andrews instead. Also, seeing Admiral Boom and Ellen again was a nice nostalgic surprise!

Overall, I give this film a very solid B+ and that will likely go up with repeat viewings! Hoping to catch it at least once more while its in theaters!

Interestingly it seems like the people that maybe weren't super fans of Lin-Manuel already liked him better in this than the people that were big fans - maybe that made it harder to not picture him as some other role or just himself whereas those less used to him in other things accepted it easier? (just a thought)

Saw it today. Loved it! Took me a bit to warm to Emily Blunt as MP, but I loved the kids. They made the movie. And Georgie reminded me so much of my little guy, including the stuffed giraffe (we have three identical ones so we always have one). I especially enjoyed the nods to the original. Great movie and was a great break to the holiday hubbub.

I agree wholeheartedly. I can't recall anything I've seen LMM in before so I had no feelings about him as an actor one way or the other going in to the movie. Having said that, I just felt like something didn't click between him and the character he played here. Maybe, maybe that has to do more with what I expected the character to be (a version of Bert) vs what I got (a kind-of-different version of Bert), while the other main characters in the movie were already established (Emily Blunt's rendition of MP was quite solid and Michael and Jane being grown up versions of their younger selves - with the edge of his father in Michael's case). If that's what my sentiments on LMM boils down to then I can't blame him for simply acting the part he was given. Still, him and/or his character just didn't fit this movie *FOR ME* and it kind of took me out of the element for a bit.

Aside from my feelings about LMM/Jack I really enjoyed the movie and it wouldn't deter me from watching it again and again. Actually, thanks to the kid who got sick and threw up behind us in the theater, I missed some parts of the movie due to that distraction and will need to see it again just to get the full scope. lol

Last edited:
Side note:
I really didn't care for the BMX-type tricks by the lamplighters. And I rode BMX for about 15 years until back surgery took me out of the game so one would think that if anyone dug that, it would have been me. But, I thought that was kind of weird. *shrugs*

Side note:
I really didn't care for the BMX-type tricks by the lamplighters. And I rode BMX for about 15 years until back surgery took me out of the game so one would think that if anyone dug that, it would have been me. But, I thought that was kind of weird. *shrugs*

I definitely agree with that - seems like just adding a gimmick to a scene that didn't need it. I get it that Jack rode a bike and stuff but I think it went too extreme (pun intended)

I agree wholeheartedly. I can't recall anything I've seen LMM in before so I had no feelings about him as an actor one way or the other going in to the movie. Having said that, I just felt like something didn't click between him and the character he played here. Maybe, maybe that has to do more with what I expected the character to be (a version of Bert) vs what I got (a different version of Bert), while the other main characters in the movie were already established (Emily Blunt's rendition of MP was quite solid and Michael and Jane being grown up versions of their younger selves - with the edge of his father in Michael's case). If that's what my sentiments on LMM boils down to then I can't blame him for simply acting the part he was given. Still, him and/or his character just didn't fit this movie *FOR ME* and it kind of took me out of the element for a bit.

Aside from my feelings about LMM/Jack I really enjoyed the movie and it wouldn't deter me from watching it again and again. Actually, thanks to the kid who got sick and threw up behind us in the theater, I missed some parts of the movie due to that distraction and will need to see it again just to get the full scope. lol

I do get that - in some ways he was both not the same as Burt and also not different enough to really stand out as his own character .... sort of like, well, we don't want just another chimney sweep, what's pretty close but not the exact same thing

If he was *more* different it might have worked better in some ways

Just got back from watching Mary Poppins. We all enjoyed it. Wonderful movie. But what's the point of the two old men and the cannon bombings?

Also, any one know why didn't Julie Andrews do a cameo in this movie?

Just got back from watching Mary Poppins. We all enjoyed it. Wonderful movie. But what's the point of the two old men and the cannon bombings?
Have you seen the original movie? I don't think there is a real point to them at all besides some comedy, but it's a reference to the original movie.

Also, any one know why didn't Julie Andrews do a cameo in this movie?
She was asked to, but out of respect for Emily Blunt, she declined. She didn't want to be a "distraction" basically and wanted Emily Blunt to shine as the role of Mary Poppins. After seeing the movie, it's fairly easy to tell which role Julie Andrews was asked to play.

DH and I went to see it last night, and we both enjoyed it. My DH commented that the story is better (though I think more sad), but the music isn’t as catchy. Probably the most catchy is Trip a Little Light Fantastic. In general, the music is beautiful and perfectly orchestrated to match the time period and pay some homage to the original. We tried to analyze what made the older songs more catchy than the new ones. We agreed that maybe it comes down to the fact that the songs themselves have more “story” in them, too - much meatier verses - and not quite as catchy choruses or the choruses aren’t repeated as often. (I know I’ve used the word “catchy” repeatedly, but what is the synonym? :laughing:) I actually wish they had let LMM contribute to the song writing process, because I think he is a brilliant lyricist. But, in the end, we have to acknowledge that there was a special magic in the original MP music and lyrics, and sometimes you just can’t recreate that.

As for the story, I was somewhat frustrated by...

the fact that they never circled back to the bowl. I understand the mom thought it was priceless, even though it had no real value. But a little explanation as to why would have helped. Was it priceless to her because she told the children stories from the paintings on the bowl? Was it because it reminded her of her childhood? What made it valuable to her? Then the whole “change your perspective” would have made more sense.

I also wish the kids had gotten the bowl back. When they were loading their belongings in the truck would have been the perfect time for Mary to simply hand them the bowl, with a knowing smile on her face, like “remember the lesson we learned about it’s the memories that are priceless.”
Anyway, that was a minor frustration, and certainly didn’t take away from the enjoyment of the movie.

ETA: I should have mentioned that I thought Emily Blunt did a fantastic job! I thought LMM played his role very well, and I, too, was loved the appearance of DVD.

DH and I went to see it last night, and we both enjoyed it. My DH commented that the story is better (though I think more sad), but the music isn’t as catchy. Probably the most catchy is Trip a Little Light Fantastic. In general, the music is beautiful and perfectly orchestrated to match the time period and pay some homage to the original. We tried to analyze what made the older songs more catchy than the new ones. We agreed that maybe it comes down to the fact that the songs themselves have more “story” in them, too - much meatier verses - and not quite as catchy choruses or the choruses aren’t repeated as often. (I know I’ve used the word “catchy” repeatedly, but what is the synonym? :laughing:) I actually wish they had let LMM contribute to the song writing process, because I think he is a brilliant lyricist. But, in the end, we have to acknowledge that there was a special magic in the original MP music and lyrics, and sometimes you just can’t recreate that.

As for the story, I was somewhat frustrated by...

the fact that they never circled back to the bowl. I understand the mom thought it was priceless, even though it had no real value. But a little explanation as to why would have helped. Was it priceless to her because she told the children stories from the paintings on the bowl? Was it because it reminded her of her childhood? What made it valuable to her? Then the whole “change your perspective” would have made more sense.

I also wish the kids had gotten the bowl back. When they were loading their belongings in the truck would have been the perfect time for Mary to simply hand them the bowl, with a knowing smile on her face, like “remember the lesson we learned about it’s the memories that are priceless.”
Anyway, that was a minor frustration, and certainly didn’t take away from the enjoyment of the movie.

ETA: I should have mentioned that I thought Emily Blunt did a fantastic job! I thought LMM played his role very well, and I, too, was loved the appearance of DVD.

I definitely get what you are saying about the music and largely agree ... sometimes there just is that "magic" that creates a true classic. I do also think there is an aspect that the original music we have been hearing for 50 years so sometimes hard to compare to music we are just hearing for the first time

as to your spoiler:
I thought they implied that it was "priceless" due to the personal connection and how it was in the children's room, etc. - so I just accepted that but agree a bit more detail would have been nice and also agree that showing them loading it into the van or something would have been nice to ensure they showed them getting it back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter