Marriott Timeshare presentation-WWYD?

jmpellet

DIS Veteran
We plan to go to Florida next year and stay off property (free dining last and this year at POFQ) and spend time at Universal, Seaworld, etc (kids will be 7.5, 6.5, and 4.5). We will have enough points to stay up to upwards of 6 nights at the Nick Hotel -- maybe that's too long! We will also stay at one of the Universal resorts for 1 or 2 nights for FOTL passes.

I was thinking of staying at one of the Marriott resorts and taking one of the their presentation deals. I have been contacted a number of times with 4 night offers. Because we will probably stay at Nick (with water slides, etc) would you choose Horizons (geared toward kids), Cypress Harbour, or Grande Vista Orlando properties or select one near the beach like in West Palm Beach -- I think it's Ocean Pointe? For thoseof you that have stayed at Cypress Harbour -- can you use the features of Horizons across the street? And is it right across the street?

Has anyone done a timeshare presentation and how bad is it?

Personally, I believe life is too short to waste any part of it on a timeshare presentation, and I own two of them.

Thanks for your input. I figured that because we would be there already it wouldn't be so bad and an opporunity to stay somewhere like Horizons would be a hit with the kids.

Figure that the TS presentation will blow at minimum a half day and that's if you can get an early am time for it. Usually that isn't the case and the "90 minute presentation" runs closer to 3 hours and winds up killing the better part of a day. Marriott is known for being somewhat less high-pressure and more on the up and up than others so this may not be case, but I'd figure it in as a spend some time at the pool and relax day. The plus side is that most of their resorts are very nice, and if you have the time and willingness to sit through the presentation and simply say "NO" to any retail TS offer you will have a nice stay. Oh, and I'd vote for the one near the beach. Just something different after a week of theme parks.

several years ago while staying at the former Courtyard DTD, I was offered $125 in Marriott gift checks for touring Horizions. The property was still under construction at that time, I remember being golf carted around where the children's water play areas were being constructed. The presentation was very low key & when I said no, the sales person accepted that, no additional pressure from his boss & his bosses boss. I checked out & was shuttled back to the hotel. All in all, I bet I was there about 1-1&1/2 hours. I'm pretty sure that the salesperson realized I was there just for the perks. :thumbsup2

Personally, I believe life is too short to waste any part of it on a timeshare presentation, and I own two of them.

I dont mind someone offering me $100-$150 (or more if they want) cash or cash equivalent (like gift card/checks) for a couple hours of my time. When I go to Orlando, dont have a set plan for all of my time there. I figure I'm making more money per hour doing their presentation than I would as my hourly wage at work so, hey! bring it on! :cool1:

Celebration World Resort = $100 CASH (45 minute presentation)
Marriott Horizions = $125 Marriott Gift Checks (max 1&1/2 hours)
Cypress Pointe = $150 in Visa Gift Cards (1 hour 45 minutes)

Thanks for all the info!

The current offer for Horizons is for 4 nights at $199 for a two bedroom with no extra perks. The Grande Vista is $199 for a regular guestroom. Extra $129 is for a 2 bedroom. This offer gives you a $100 toward stuff.

I had a mailing earlier this spring that included 2 disney touch of magic tickets which included 2 days in a park of your choice plus a visit to BB, TL, etc. It was $249 for a guestroom at Grande Vista and $399 at Cypress Harbour (2 bedroom). The value of the tickets is about $180 each or $360! I wish I could get that deal but at Horizons. Does anyone know how close Horizons is to Cypress Harbour and can you walk between them?

Thanks for all the info!

The current offer for Horizons is for 4 nights at $199 for a two bedroom with no extra perks. The Grande Vista is $199 for a regular guestroom. Extra $129 is for a 2 bedroom. This offer gives you a $100 toward stuff.

I had a mailing earlier this spring that included 2 disney touch of magic tickets which included 2 days in a park of your choice plus a visit to BB, TL, etc. It was $249 for a guestroom at Grande Vista and $399 at Cypress Harbour (2 bedroom). The value of the tickets is about $180 each or $360! I wish I could get that deal but at Horizons. Does anyone know how close Horizons is to Cypress Harbour and can you walk between them?

I would take the deal at Horizons in a heart beat

We've done a couple of timeshare presentations; one offsite at Cypress Point Grande Vistas and then a DVC presentation. DVC took the longest. It certainly won't take up half the day as previously suggested! Keep in mind, though, that they usually don't start the clock on the 90 mins until after you've had the complimentary breakfast so if you aren't interested in eating just tell them you want to start right away. We went to the 8:00 breakfast and we were leaving the parking lot heading for Universal by 10:15 (we did have the breakfast, so our talk started about 8:30)

I haven't heard anything about Marriott being high pressure.

Thanks for the advice. Horizons seems really nice and geared towards my kids' ages. $50 a night is awesome and we plan to buy the Orlando Flex ticket and also take it easy. I'm pretty good at saying no so hopefully it won't take the full 90 min. Because I will have many nights at Nick I won't feel cheated regarding 2 hours.

on a TS presentation, so I can let you know how it goes. My boys will be soo surprised by the pirate ship, I can't wait!

YOu can't use Horizons pools unless you are staying there. They won't let you come over from Cypress. We've tried it and they said absolutely not. Something about insurance.

Thanks for all the info!

was the current Horizions offer a general offer for anyone? if so, is it possible for me to get the number so I can book it? PM me if you have to. I appreciate it if you can :flower3: & what is the $100 towards what stuff? :confused3

The general number is 800-800-4352. The offer I got in April came to my house -- I think as a result of being a marriott rewards member. Then I read somewhere that if you sign up at www.marriottvillas.com they will call you with offers. They are for certain states I think and she specifically confirmed my address immediately. The $100 could be used towards park tickets, etc. but it was only for Grande Vista and not Horizons. The horizons offer was $199 4 nights and that's it.

The general number is 800-800-4352. The offer I got in April came to my house -- I think as a result of being a marriott rewards member. Then I read somewhere that if you sign up at www.marriottvillas.com they will call you with offers. They are for certain states I think and she specifically confirmed my address immediately. The $100 could be used towards park tickets, etc. but it was only for Grande Vista and not Horizons. The horizons offer was $199 4 nights and that's it.

thank you so much for your reply. I'll sign up with the web address you provided. I am a Marriott rewards member but I probably have an old address/ph# on file with them, I'll update that too. I am going to try the 800 # to see if they have any current offers they can give me! Thanks again!:cheer2:

Does anyone know how close Horizons is to Cypress Harbour and can you walk between them?

They are accross the road from each other. You could walk, but as someone noted, it you are staying in one, you can't use the amenities of the other.

Does anyone know if they will allow you to purchase additional nights when you are doing a timeshare presentation -- for the same low rate? Also, has anyone been able to use Marriott points for a stay at Horizons?

YOu can't use Horizons pools unless you are staying there. They won't let you come over from Cypress. We've tried it and they said absolutely not. Something about insurance.

We own at Horizons but because of an Interval International thing, we ended up at Cypress Harbor (across the street) last year. We simply walked across the street with our pool stuff and enjoyed the pool area all day with no problems, I guess it was "don't ask, don't tell."

I also want to confirm that Marriott timeshare presentation is very low pressure, 90 minutes tops if you say no. In fact, when we said "yes" one of the stipulations was that we had to be out to make our afternoon plans and an evening flight. They took our deposit by credit card, and mailed us the rest of the forms necessary to close. I think Marriott is the least offensive and the pressure is minimal. They feel their product sells itself to the right buyer.
I'd do Horizons with kids. The pool areas are much better. There are two beds in the second bedroom. The downside is that Horizons does not have a whilrpool tub in the master bedroom.
And I'll be there on Sunday morning!!!:banana:

thanks for this thread, I am gonna endure a TS tour for $199 for four nights in a 2 bedroom villa at Horizons on my sons bday. He will flip.

we are cheap with 4 kids so we will eat all we can in the kitchen.

I think I will buy four 3 day passes to disney for $440.00 total for FL residents. Driving there is 3 hours so not a bad vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter