Mark & Angela - DAY SIX - Our last day

aring75

DIS Veteran
Day Six - Our last day . . .

Today is our last full day at WDW. We slept in until 9 AM!! We always have to get up at 5:30 or 6 AM at home, so we are getting really spoiled!

As we walk downstairs to get a quick bite from WCC, we notice that the lodge is getting really crowded. Then I realize, that NoJ is this weekend. A lot of people are arriving by bus and van. Boy, am I glad we’re done in the parks for this trip! Today we are going to check out some different resorts.

Kalvin was our server at WCC today. After breakfast, we went to the bus stop. Our plan was to get on the first bus that arrived and take a bus from that park to another resort. And the lucky winner is…Disney/MGM Studios! We rode the bus to MGM and from there got on a bus to the All-Star Resorts. I wasn’t really interested in staying at the All-Stars, but I’d heard some good things on the boards. Also, Mark is a drafter and he’d done some detailing for a few of the icons at ASMo (spell books, sorcerer’s hat, etc.) when they were built. We thought we’d check it out. My first impression of these resorts is that they were very clean and bright. You can tell that they are “value” resorts, but the theming is great! If we travel with kids I think I’d like to stay here. Of the three resorts, I thought Movies was the most fun. The Fantasia, Toy Story and 101 Dalmatians (?) buildings were the cutest (IMHO). We started at ASSp and walked our way through Music and Movies. They weren’t too far from one another, and each seemed to have a nice pool area. We didn’t look around the food court though. It seemed kind of crowded. At the Movies’ bus stop we boarded a bus to the MK.

At MK we got on a bus to OKW. We will be staying here in November (along with the AKL) and I was interested to take a look around. This resort seems to be rather large and spread out, so we only looked in the lobby and pool area and rode around in the bus to see what some of the buildings looked like. It gives a very laid back and relaxed feeling, and I didn’t realize a golf course ran through the property. The first bus to pull up at the OKW resort was for AK. Good, I wanted to look at the AKL as well.

You can certainly tell that the same person who designed the WL designed AKL! It’s lobby (although not quite as large) is every bit as grand. When we first walked in, it seemed that the lobby was very dark, but after a few minutes our eyes adjusted to the light and it wasn’t dark at all. The lower light gave a very cozy and intimate feeling. It seemed very serene and comfortable. I’m looking forward to our stay here. We walked out to look at one of the savannahs (I think it said Kudu trail, but not sure) and they were doing some construction work. There were no animals and there were tractors and orange safety netting scattered here and there. I hope this is finished by November! We walked out to take a look at the pool (I love the zero depth entry) and then looked at the menus at Boma and Jiko. Mark agreed that Boma sounded like something we really should try, but he’s not quite ready for the more adventurous tastes of Jiko. I wasn’t too sure either, but it would probably be interesting to try at least once. When we walked back out to the bus stop we got back on the AK bus. From AK we switched to the Epcot resorts bus.

We took the bus first to the Swan. When I walked into the lobby, I wasn’t terribly impressed. We walked though pretty quickly though, so we didn’t really have a lot of time to make an assessment. From the Swan, we took the connecting walkway to the Dolphin. Now this lobby is definitely much grander. I think opulent might be an appropriate word. The Dolphin was also much larger. It was raining at this time, so we didn’t get to check out the pool area. My first impression of the S&D is that I don’t really like them. I’m sorry to all S&D fans out there! But they didn’t feel very “Disney” to me. The employees didn’t smile or greet us when they saw us, (like they always seem to do at WDW) and the overall feeling of the resort wasn’t nearly as magical. I know that a lot of people probably disagree, but that just makes me glad that there are so many resorts to choose from at WDW. Everyone can find what suits him or her best!

After all this walking, I was getting hungry. When I don’t eat, I get migraines. So that meant skipping the YC and BC this trip. It’s too bad because I wanted to see them as well. We boarded the boat and rode to Epcot. Once there, we decided to eat dinner at R&C (another place we had never tried). We just had to try the fish and chips. We ordered our drinks and the fruit and cheese plate for an appetizer. We both enjoyed this tremendously! There were apple slices, grapes, and 6 different kinds of cheese. The only part we didn’t like was the bleu cheese. It is definitely an acquired taste. I think you either love it or you hate it. Mark and I don’t love it. When the fish and chips came it was a LOT of food. The cod was very light and flaky. Rolls with butter and English peas (naturally) accompanied the meal. I enjoyed the food but was very unimpressed with the service. Now I don’t mean to say that the restaurant’s service is bad in general. No, it was obvious to see that it was only our waitress. We could see all the other servers bustling around and staying very busy, but ours talked to a group of three people in the corner almost the entire time we were there! The worst time was when we were waiting to pay for our meal. She brought our check about 10 minutes after we were finished. Not that big a deal. But she didn’t come back for our ticket and payment for another 15 minutes! During that entire time, she stood and talked to that group of people. I know she had to have other tables besides ours, so I can’t imagine many people were pleased with her. We showed our displeasure with the service in our tip. This is one of those times I would’ve liked to leave a note, but we were just ready to get out of there!

We spent a little more time at Epcot (in the WS) and then went back to the WL. We have to drive home tomorrow. Our WDW vacation is over. So, until next time, we’ll be wishing we were there!

Thanks to everyone who has read and commented on my trip reports. I hope that something I've written about will help with someone's trip planning. I know I've found a wealth of information on these boards, the best of which has come from hearing about people's personal experiences. I wish everyone the best until their next trip to WDW!!!

P.S. - Now I have to count the days until November 3rd . . .

Enjoyed all your reports! Sounds like a good trip, I'd like to resort hop sometime too. Thanks for sharing!

Your trip reports were great!! We will be at the WL in December and your trip has put us in the mood to go even more. The one thing I dont like is the fact you just went and your next trip starts before ours does. =) Oh well, we will get there eventually!

Thank you for your trip reports. Your paragraphing is easy on the eyes and makes the reading soooo much easier.

I am glad you included the good and the bad in your reports. It just makes reports so much more valid.

On the good side, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at WL. We are heading back there for Thanksgiving week. I know that we will not enjoy the empty parks that week as you did, but your report about kicking back and enjoying the resort is a motivator.

As for the incredibly boorish and crude behavior you observed by guests with small children, well I am at a loss for words. We also experienced the impatient parent with unrealistic expectations back in 1999. We, parents must try to keep in mind what is best for our children. The pressure of the cost of the WDW vacation seems to bring out the worst in people.

Thanks also for mentioning your enjoyable meals at WC. Can you imagine that we did not eat there once during our previous stay at WL??? We will definitely try lunch or breakfast there at least once this November.

Thanks for taking the time to put your experiences on paper for all of us to share.

--penny

Your posts are so enjoyable to read . Can't wait to stay at WL in December, also just DH and me. Glad you posted your meals at WCC - sounds yummy!
Just wondering, did you swim in the pool and/or use the hot tub? If you did, what were they like? Also, is the room you stayed in a Standard room?
Thanks for taking the time to post...your experiences are very helpful!

JJustin8080 - Here's hoping your trip gets here before you know it!

blossombrd - We don't usually use the pool/spa facilities at the resorts. I did notice, however, that they were most crowded around 2:00 to 4:00 every day (go figure). The spa wasn't ever crowded (there are two, and one or the other was usually empty). If it hadn't been so terribly warm all week, we might have used the spa after a long day!

I'm glad my reports were helpful to some of you! It's so important that we share with each other the good (and bad) things about our trips! This helps make everyone more prepared! Not to mention getting everyone psyched up about their upcoming trips!!!

Your trip reports were very detailed and made for great reading. We will be at WDW on Monday (AKL/BC), and I think we will resort hop like you did. Thank you for the idea.

Hentob

Thanks for all the great reports!

We are looking forward (even more now) to our 2 night stay @ WL after a week at POR in October!

Thanks again for sharing!

I really enjoyed reading your reports. Your writing style makes everything interesting.

We're arriving at WDW Nov. 3rd also--staying at BWV. Can't wait!

June

Thanks for the great trip report. I enjoyed hearing about your resort hopping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter