Marathon Weekend Expo. What If I can't pick up my bib in time?

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the input and we totally would have flown down earlier, but teachers really can't take off those days especially at the beginning of a new semester.

Fortunately, it's not our first half marathons so we'll be good when it comes to rest. Unfortunately, we're just going to have to bank on them hopefully handing out bibs before the race. I'll also call Disney later today to speak with someone about this.

I'm sure we're not the only people out of the massive amount of runners who can't pick it up on Thursday or Friday, lol.

You probably won't be the only ones trying to get their bib at 4am on Saturday morning, but most of them will be using emergency bib pickup for, you know, actual emergencies. It's people like you who game the system and take advantage of an unadvertised service which will cause rD to stop offering morning pickup to those people who truly need it.

Thank you to the OP for this post; I was needing the same info. (And thanks to the Disers for your candid answers.)

I'm wanting to run the January 2020 half marathon (because we'll be coming during that time and it would be a way for me to finally get to run one without making a separate trip, and money is a factor for us). I wanted my DH to run with me (as I'm frankly very intimidated by going through this by myself--all the unknowns, etc.), but he cannot take an extra day of vacation to arrive on the Friday, and we thought there must be a way, but now I see there actually isn't--you just need to view/accept the bib pickup as part of the race whole. I'm disappointed with the answer, but I get it.

Now to convince myself that I can indeed do this (more concerned with all the prerace logistics than the actual run!)

Thank you for reminding me to post this update!

I spoke to RunDisney last week and they said that every year they offer day-of pickup for anyone that can’t make normal pickups, for any reason emergency or not. She told me that tons of people have to do it every year and it’s no issue. You just need to show up around 3 AM to get it.

And for everyone saying we’re gaming the system, shame on you. As much as we’d love to be there for extra days, it’s not always possible.

Let’s be positive to each other. And for everyone at the race next week, good luck!

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I spoke to RunDisney last week and they said that every year they offer day-of pickup for anyone that can’t make normal pickups, for any reason emergency or not. She told me that tons of people have to do it every year and it’s no issue. You just need to show up earlier than 5:00 AM to get it.

And for everyone saying we’re gaming the system, shame on you. As much as we’d love to be there for extra days, it’s not always possible.

Let’s be positive to each other. And for everyone at the race next week, good luck!

There's a difference between "can't make normal pickups" and what you did - book a flight with the clear intent to not attend the Expo. That's basically what gaming the system is.

But whatever. Have a great race weekend. :rolleyes2

There's a difference between "can't make normal pickups" and what you did - book a flight with the clear intent to not attend the Expo. That's basically what gaming the system is.

But whatever. Have a great race weekend. :rolleyes2

Right, because we physically can't be there any of the days leading up to the race--but would still love to participate. Otherwise, we would have loved to be down there for several days.

Enjoy your race weekend, too.

Right, because we physically can't be there any of the days leading up to the race--but would still love to participate. Otherwise, we would have loved to be down there for several days.

Enjoy your race weekend, too.

You certainly physically can be there to pick up the bib. However, you have chosen to prioritize your work schedule over the agreement you made to attend the Expo to pick up your bibs when you registered. You created the situation intentionally. It’s understandable, but it’s not an emergency. It’s an abuse of the system and you’re only making yourself sound worse by protesting otherwise.

Disney has the system in place for under advertised reasons such as emergencies. If more and more people do this they will get rid of this option and it will hurt those who need it for emergency purposes.
Exactly. It is “unadvertised” for a reason. As mentioned before they staff with volunteers and probably not many for this emergency option. Once more and more people do it, the line will get so long that people - possibly the OP - won’t get their bibs before race time. Then people complain and the option goes away. So yeah, it’s an option and sounds like a legit option if runDisney said it was ok. But enter at your own risk. I do truly hope it all works out for @Pmm_. But take it from someone who planned on coming in 2 days early last year and almost didn’t make it due to flight delays/cancelations; cutting it this close and relying on an emergency option is playing with fire. Good luck.

I spoke to RunDisney last week and they said that every year they offer day-of pickup for anyone that can’t make normal pickups, for any reason emergency or not. She told me that tons of people have to do it every year and it’s no issue. You just need to show up earlier than 5:00 AM to get it.

I want to point something out. Even if you were not doing bib pickup you don't want to be showing up at 5am. It is a good half hour walk to the start corrals. Since you are now also doing early bib pickup, I'd be looking at getting there not later then 3:30-4am.

However, you are likely not going to do that and you're going to push the time and likely get yourself in a bind.

Exactly. It is “unadvertised” for a reason. As mentioned before they staff with volunteers and probably not many for this emergency option. Once more and more people do it, the line will get so long that people - possibly the OP - won’t get their bibs before race time. Then people complain and the option goes away. So yeah, it’s an option and sounds like a legit option if runDisney said it was ok. But enter at your own risk. I do truly hope it all works out for @Pmm_. But take it from someone who planned on coming in 2 days early last year and almost didn’t make it due to flight delays/cancelations; cutting it this close and relying on an emergency option is playing with fire. Good luck.

That is part of the reason I wouldn't want to rely on it. I would freak out heading out to a race without my bib and having no idea how long the line was going to be. I like already having my bib and then I can just relax on the way over. Also one reason I always get out there super early. I like the stress free feeling of already being where I need to be. I can go sit on the bleechers and waste an hour or so on my phone easily and prefer that to stressing out because of unexpected traffic and so forth.

I'm in the Atlanta area and drive down the day before my first race. I normally leave early enough where I normally hit WDW 2-3ish and I always drive straight to ESPN and hit the expo and then go to the resort after that. I give myself plenty of time in case of traffic and the like and it has always worked well and had no issues.

I just got a notification that my flight is delayed (Thursday afternoon) now, instead of landing at 5, I'll be landing at 7....ugh. (don't book through kayak, this is the third time a booking through them changed times drastically) Where do we pick up for early pickup for th 10k?

I just got a notification that my flight is delayed (Thursday afternoon) now, instead of landing at 5, I'll be landing at 7....ugh. (don't book through kayak, this is the third time a booking through them changed times drastically) Where do we pick up for early pickup for th 10k?

I’m confused. What does Kayak have to do with flight schedules? They’re a flight aggregation and comparison tool, not an airline. The airlines set the flight schedules and control their on time performance. Am I missing something?

If the airline made the schedule change, you should be able to switch to an earlier flight without penalty.

I’m confused. What does Kayak have to do with flight schedules? They’re a flight aggregation and comparison tool, not an airline. The airlines set the flight schedules and control their on time performance. Am I missing something?

Seems to have only happened when I've booked through kayak. And there are 2 of us flying together and we can't get 2 seats earlier.

Seems to have only happened when I've booked through kayak. And there are 2 of us flying together and we can't get 2 seats earlier.

I think you’re blaming the wrong company. I’d look to the airline(s) as the cause and wouldn’t worry about using Kayak.

Kayak is as much to blame for the delay as the weather on Pluto. If you booked directly with the CEO of the airline using bars of gold the flight would still be just as delayed.

Who are you asking? Most will say that you can’t talk to anyone but Kayak, but many have had different experiences when there’s a problem like this. Be sure to call the airline and explain the problem first, before giving reservation info, to see if they’ll help.

Pickup has been at the pre-corral area. Go early.

And be sure to go to the expo after the 10k to get your shirt.

I want to point something out. Even if you were not doing bib pickup you don't want to be showing up at 5am. It is a good half hour walk to the start corrals. Since you are now also doing early bib pickup, I'd be looking at getting there not later then 3:30-4am.

However, you are likely not going to do that and you're going to push the time and likely get yourself in a bind.

Yeah, we're showing up at 3 AM for bib pickup. It looks like I wrote down in that post that the RunDisney customer service agent said to be there at 5 AM, which was a typo - she said be there at 3 AM.

Yeah, we're showing up at 3 AM for bib pickup. It looks like I wrote down in that post that the RunDisney customer service agent said to be there at 5 AM, which was a typo - she said be there at 3 AM.
I know you took some flack on this thread but I am sure I speak for everyone wishing you good luck and hopefully you and everyone else in your party gets there on time, gets their bibs and has a great race weekend!! Let us know how it all turns out...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!