Marathon Weekend 2023

My CC info is saved into Google Pay, so Chrome autofills the info for me
Yea I have that too, and it works for about 95% of purchases. But every now and then it doesn't pop up an I have to enter it manually. And that's where the memorization helps haha

So I’m falling into the medal trap - I had planned on just doing the Marathon (my first) and maybe the 5k for kicks, but I adore the theming of this race weekend so much I am considering Dopey.

Can someone be a sounding board for how insane it is to run your first full Marathon as a part of Dopey, or know anyone who survived that? I’ve got 3 half marathons on the docket for this year (1 down, 2 to go) and I’m running a very comfortable 11:45min/mile on my long runs - with 8 months to up the endurance and weekly mileage I’m thinking of going for it.

Anyone going to warn me to turn back now, or has anyone else done something similarly ridiculous? LOL! :D

Lots of folks have run their first marathon as part of Dopey. My first marathon was part of the 10k + Goofy combo. Only you can decide if it’s the right choice for you, though.

So I’m falling into the medal trap - I had planned on just doing the Marathon (my first) and maybe the 5k for kicks, but I adore the theming of this race weekend so much I am considering Dopey.

Can someone be a sounding board for how insane it is to run your first full Marathon as a part of Dopey, or know anyone who survived that? I’ve got 3 half marathons on the docket for this year (1 down, 2 to go) and I’m running a very comfortable 11:45min/mile on my long runs - with 8 months to up the endurance and weekly mileage I’m thinking of going for it.

Anyone going to warn me to turn back now, or has anyone else done something similarly ridiculous? LOL! :D
2020 I ran Dopey as my first marathon. I had over 15 half’s under my belt at that point. I trained good for it and finished in the time I expected and feeling good. The heat that year was terrible and you couldn’t prepare for it but I had my fueling figured out so I got through it. I have no regrets! It was so much fun! And the best part is that I did Dopey and checked it off my list and I don’t have to do it again! You can definitely do it if you train for it. I wouldn’t change a thing about my experience except for the weather.

Seeing this theme makes me happy.....that I am not doing this weekend. I know I'm in the minority, but yuck. Chip and Dale is great, but I have the medal from the lone 2012 marathon relay, so I'm good.

I would prefer to forget the big hair, shoulder pads, and other sartorial touches of the 80's (or early 90's in Canada as Robin Scherbatsky said in HIMYM)

So I'm happy at this point that early FOMO will not be happening!

Alright, I've compiled your SAFD tips within this updated registration guide.

Registration Run-Down w/ Images! (A comprehensive run-down of the registration process) & Part 2

My wife was telling me that a bunch of her non-runDisney insta people were all abuzz about the themes for MW 2023. So I suspect the combination of the 30th anniversary/10th anniversary/theming *might* make this a quicker sell than originally thought. None of us know for sure, but I'd be ready to be quick on this one.

I’ve got 3 half marathons on the docket for this year (1 down, 2 to go) and I’m running a very comfortable 11:45min/mile on my long runs
Not that this should decide for you, but I think that you have a lot more going for you than most Insta people I see wanting to Dopey as their first marathon (including me lol. Well, I have the 13.1s but not the pace.)

I have read that one of the hardest parts is the consecutive early mornings.

My wife was telling me that a bunch of her non-runDisney insta people were all abuzz about the themes for MW 2023. So I suspect the combination of the 30th anniversary/10th anniversary/theming *might* make this a quicker sell than originally thought.

Seems a lot of money to drop just for a theme or a medal 😲

I decided to register for W&D instead of Goofy and defer a year for my first Disney marathon. Like jmasgat, I'm not disappointed. I have no fond memories of crimping irons

Registration Run-Down w/ Images! (A comprehensive run-down of the registration process) & Part 2

My wife was telling me that a bunch of her non-runDisney insta people were all abuzz about the themes for MW 2023. So I suspect the combination of the 30th anniversary/10th anniversary/theming *might* make this a quicker sell than originally thought. None of us know for sure, but I'd be ready to be quick on this one.
I just want to say thank you to @DopeyBadger for all the support that you provide to us Disney runners.

Not that this should decide for you, but I think that you have a lot more going for you than most Insta people I see wanting to Dopey as their first marathon (including me lol. Well, I have the 13.1s but not the pace.)

I have read that one of the hardest parts is the consecutive early mornings.

I think if I do this the entire trip will be about Dopey and making sure I recover day to day. No park time, just stretching, rolling out my legs, and ice and elevation in the afternoons. It’ll be strange being in Orlando and not doing all parks all the time but that’s what a relaxing day by the pool and a break from Chicago winter is for :)

I definitely think there’s going to be some carnage after how excited I’ve seen people. Count me in with others not super impressed with the 90s theme. Yes I watched the cartoons as a kid, but I never bought into the trends.

I think if I do this the entire trip will be about Dopey and making sure I recover day to day. No park time, just stretching, rolling out my legs, and ice and elevation in the afternoons. It’ll be strange being in Orlando and not doing all parks all the time but that’s what a relaxing day by the pool and a break from Chicago winter is for :)

This is my plan. Texted my mom and sister earlier to say “I know I said let’s do marathon weekend for our next trip but I think I’m doing Dopey so I don’t think this will be the trip for you to come with me on” lol.

That was my situation. This past WDW Marathon weekend was my very first marathon, and I did Dopey, and had a really great time! You're already at a similar pace to where I ended up in training.

FWIW I had a great 5k, 10k, and 1/2—I had good times (for me), I felt great, and had lots of fun. The first 16 or so miles of the full were good as well, then it started to get harder for me, but I finished with no issues (and no balloon lady worries!). I'm pretty sure the problem there was with my preparation, not acclimating my body properly to that many miles.

If I had to do it again (and I am, 2023 Dopey here I come!), I would try to be a bit better about getting my training miles in, but even as it was it was fun and worth it!

This is my plan. Texted my mom and sister earlier to say “I know I said let’s do marathon weekend for our next trip but I think I’m doing Dopey so I don’t think this will be the trip for you to come with me on” lol.

Don't underestimate the importance of staying on the move after the races. The parks can offer great active recovery benefits if done in moderation. Just hanging around the resort, even with stretching, can actually be counterproductive.

This is exactly why I'm nervous. Instagram went nutso over the theme (likely what Disney, intended lol). Just gonna go in with a plan from these great tips and hope it works out!

Don't underestimate the importance of staying on the move after the races. The parks can offer great active recovery benefits if done in moderation. Just hanging around the resort, even with stretching, can actually be counterproductive.
Seconding this! I’ve done 2 rD weekends now, and I’ve been active after the shorter races, and closed out the parks after the longest race of the weekends, and I‘ve been fully functional for my whole trips and afterward.

couple of thoughts for those considering Dopey...and it being your first marathon. you have lots of time to train, but you need to put the work in. start building a base of weekly miles, like now. work up to 30-40 miles a week and holding that as your base. you can follow a standard marathon training plan (16-20 weeks) starting late summer, but you need to get used to running long on saturday and sunday regularly. it's important that you work up to a saturday of 10 miles and a sunday of 20...on the same weekend. if you can run 10, you can run 13.1. if you can run 20, you can run 26.2. think about aiming for a max long run of 22 miles. and i would strongly recommend one mock dopey about 3 weeks from race weekend (3.1, 6.2, 10, 20). the earlu mornings are tough, but commit to being in the bed by 8pm. you don't need to fall asleep necessarily that early (up to you). but be in the bed, alarms set, ready to rest. the first 3 days aren't bad...it's day 4...also, i strongly recommend walking around the parks for a bit each day afterward. it's great active recovery.

My wife did her first full for Dopey 2020. She had done one or two halves prior. She challenged a friend of ours to join her. He was around 300 lbs Christmas 2018 when she challenged him to do Dopey and he had never ran before. He completed it and was significantly faster than her. He challenged me to do Dopey 2022 with him and is now aiming for Boston.

This is great advice, and I appreciate it.

I plan to still stay active - I just know myself well enough to also know that I can’t do the parks in moderation early in the trip, especially if I have family with me. Where I end up staying is going to dictate a lot about how my trip actually pans out. If I end up in the boardwalk or skyliner area, I can see myself wandering World Showcase most days. My plan is to take it easy (which is a really loose meaning for me because I don’t know what easy is when it comes to being in Disney, lol) on the days of the 5K and 10K, get some park or Springs time in the day of the half and then more normal park days the day of the full and the following day.

Yes! I flew home the evening after my first half and I was sore for days! It wasn't my original plan but airlines availability dictated that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter