Marathon Weekend 2022

Soooooo.....I came into this having an inured right hip and a long run of 11 miles---on Halloween. Last 3 weeks nothing. So this was Schrodinger's marathon--is it going to be dead or alive from the first step. The marathon turned out to be alive (my hip felt fine), but in the ICU. I started with @garneska and we had a strategy to run at easy pace together. This worked til we got to MK, then I needed a bathroom stop and she went on.

After that--somewhere around mile 11-13, I truly questioned my life choices and seriously thought about bailing. I have nothing to prove. At least is was probably the lack of training versus injury/hurting. I switched to a random run/walk (not down Wall St--book reference) and made it to AK. At that point, I had another moment where I seriously thought about cutting through AK to head back to AKL-my hotel. But like the idiot that I am, I kept going. This felt very much like a "beginner" marathon to me, in that my quads, hammies, flexors rebelled around then.

I finally decided that I would do my best to finish and ran less and less as the race went on. At some point, I told myself what was left was basically the kind of mileage that I would walk in a day at the parks. I carried on just walking, ate the chocolate (usually I can't deal with chewing at that point) and headed in. As (my) luck would have it, I came across @garneska--who was also having issues- as I entered Epcot and we walked it in, except for the finishing straight, which we ran (because, yeah).

I am remarkably nonplussed, non-pissed and genuinely happy that I finished. It was not quite a personal worst at Disney, but who cares. I doubt I could have managed with the Goof Troop after a while, but I assume they had a blast. I am back at my hotel and would have gladly paid a random stranger $20 to help me get into my compression socks.

TLDR Injured hip didn't bother me but rest of my legs did. Finished by walking a lot of the race. Happy that I finished.

ETA: My calves have sued for divorce.

Last edited:
I am remarkably nonplussed, non-pissed and genuinely happy that I finished. It was not quite a personal worst at Disney, but who cares. I doubt I could have managed with the Goof Troop after a while, but I assume they had a blast. I am back at my hotel and would have gladly paid a random stranger $20 to help me get into my compression socks.

Congrats! Great job sticking with it.

ETA: My calves have sued for divorce.

My ankles would like to talk with your lawyer.

Had a blast, stopped for a bunch of photos and, nearest and dearest to my heart, was on the first elevator ride on Tower of Terror this morning!

As I told everyone in line, I ran 23 miles to ride ToT without a Park Pass. :-)

Hope everyone had a great race out there!
Congrats on the ToT! I thought about it, and decided I did not want to be standing that long so I kept moving

On a side note (@DopeyBadger might find this useful for future data): they let people out much quicker today than yesterday. I was in the middle of S6 both days. Today I started at 5:20 am, yesterday was closer to 5:45 am. My prediction is they wanted to give people as much time before the sun rises as possible.
I was pleasantly surprised at how fast they moved us along this morning

Whoever decided that the wide, rigid plastic cups were a good choice for Powerade: no. Just no.
After my sports bra got more Powerade than I did at the first few stops, I started grabbing a cup of water, dumping the water, and pouring the Powerade into the paper cup. I wasted a little time, but it was the only way I could get the darn Powerade in my mouth!

Regarding corrals, I started in the front of s3 all 4 days. S2 was maybe half the size today that it had been the first 3 days. They previously had several waves, but today they were just one wave. My start time today was 5:00:06, so less than 5 minutes from the official start. For comparison, start time yesterday from the same spot in my corral was 5:14:08. S2 was filled with walkers yesterday and I spent the first mile and a half or so weaving around them, but today was totally runnable from the start. Not sure what to make of it.

I totally agree on the plastic cups. Bad planning.
I managed a 5:52:00 per my Garmin, but it stopped the clock for pics and potty breaks, so I know chip time will be over 6 hours, but I’m good with that. I was really, really pleased with how well the half went yesterday, so I think I want to find a local half and see if I can’t set a new PR there sometime in next few months.
My first Dopey is in the books. Will there be any others? Unknown at this time. But it has been checked off my bucket list at this point.
I started in the last corral, but surprised myself with running most of the first 12 miles or so, building a bit of buffer. Yet, coming out of animal kingdom where the course loops back on itself, there appx 3 miles behind me were the balloon ladies, the sweep buses, and the workers taking up the course behind them. That was just a bit disconcerting to see. Total non-factor at that point, but they were still closer than I prefer.
Good seeing you guys this week and getting to know some of you and putting faces with aliases.

I was surprised at the cocktail reception plastic glasses.

I suspect they use them so it was obvious which ones were Powerade and which ones were water, and that sure worked, but I'm glad I don't take Powerade.

The crazy thing is that most of the Powerade was in paper cups during the half yesterday. I think just one half stop (Epcot near the end) has the plastic cups yesterday.

I was surprised at the cocktail reception plastic glasses.

I suspect they use them so it was obvious which ones were Powerade and which ones were water, and that sure worked, but I'm glad I don't take Powerade.
That was my guess as to the reason as well. But yea, those don't bend in half at all, so I frequently got powerade all over me. I saw them at the last stop right as you enter Epcot for the half as well.

S2 was filled with walkers yesterday and I spent the first mile and a half or so weaving around them, but today was totally runnable from the start. Not sure what to make of it.

For this year, s2 for the HM included the non-POT estimate of a 2:00-2:15 (only s1 was a POT HM group). s2 for the M was for those who had a POT between 3:40-4:00 hr marathon. The first non-POT group for the marathon was s3. Dopey/Goofy runners were assigned based on the M standards. So that explains why you saw far less walkers in the M than the HM even though you were in s2 for both.

It was no secret my training had been sidelined with a lot. I got covid right before training was to begin so I battled the fatigue my first few weeks of training. My second week of training is when my knee started giving me problems. With PT I got it slightly better but not enough in Dec my knee and now my back were both very angry with.

i Ran the 10k with @camaker. I told him I would be slow, the PT strongly encouraged me to nit go fast. We chatted the entire race. It was quite fun and no one pushed pace. i finished feeling good with my easy run. Thanks Kenn.

for the marathon @jmasgat and i started out together being the walking wounded. We hung together till MK. I started having issues at mile 9 with my knee talking to me. It caused me to start dropping my hip on the other leg, I could feel that and suspected that would be a problem later. At mile 11 I walked through the water stop to take a Huma. When I started to run again knew I was in trouble. That knee was now yelling at me. I kept going but slowing down. By mile 18 I was starting to struggle with the hip flexor on that other leg. By 20 I thought I was going to die. the pain from the hip flexor kept me from feeling my back. I kept trying to run/walk. Mile 22 I was like this is ridiculous I can walk the rest of the way if I need to, but seriously I wanted to be done. I saw Maura at the blizzard beach Out n back so I knew she would catch me, finally just before epcot she did. We did try and run but really we were both like no. I knew I was doing more damage if I ran as my gait was completely out of whack. We walked it in until the end for the finish. Maura thank you so much for hanging with me. i know we separated a bit but we still finished.

I hurt. everything hurts but my majors are the knee and the new hip flexor, my back is coming in third.

congrats everyone. I will be at DATW but probably not the entire time.

First Dopey and ninth full marathon complete! Training got derailed, because life, so longest run happened to be the Wine and Dine half, but still managed a 4:30 chip time with about 15 or so picture stops. I also ugly cried running down Main Street and crossing the finish line. Congrats to everyone who finished today!

Edit: Also, the stretch on Western way from DAK to Blizzard Beach WAS. THE. WORST.

Last edited:
We finished!

It was our 2nd marathon and a PW by 25 minutes, but we accomplished our goal of feeling good enough to stop for drinks in Epcot! Plus a bonus stop in AK for beers. So woohoo! I don't plan on running another marathon, but I also said that 3 years ago.

Our strategy of only stopping for characters after it was light worked well. Except for Dopey, lines were short.

After AK I started dumping water on myself. I'm scared to look at our photopass pictures. It's not going to be pretty!

Here's the character list. We were a bit delirious at times in the heat, so may have forgotten a few:
1. Pluto in 50th attire (to/from Epcot)
2. Mad Hatter
3. Jiminy Cricket
4. Phineas (alternates with Ferb) both times in Epcot
5. Darkwing Duck
6. Gus the mouse from Cinderella
7. Girl mouse from Cinderella
8. Edna Mode and Mrs. Incredible
9. Frozone
10. Figment statue (no photopass)
11. Stitch
12. Dopey
13. Revolutionary Goofy
- Country bears waving
14. Three Caballeros minus Donald
15. Daisy in 50th outfit
16. Piglet and Rabbit
17. Tigger
18. Friar Tuck
19. Robin Hood and Little John
20. Timone
21. Dug and Carl Frederiksen
22. Adventurers club (no FP)
23. Baloo
24. Bullseye
25. Jessie
26. Chip and Dale in 50th outfits
27. Olaf
28. Donald, pit crew outfit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter