Marathon Weekend 2022

That's it, I'm caving.

No, I'm not running on site (already spending Christmas break back home with my folks for the first time in forever), but I will be running Dopey virtually. I can slot it in between all the races I have coming up this winter (already have a half in Dec and Jan, and a full in Feb).

Just got back from a week at my home away from home, and boy, all I could do was look at sidewalks and trails and go "yeah I could run another Dopey"

Interesting. I was picturing heading to FW from the MK toll plaza, which seemed likely to add around 6 miles if you went any decent distance into FW. I guess if you went to Bonnet Creek Parkway and then took Vista Blvd to Fort Wilderness Trail, it would be more direct. But that would take World Drive out of the course, for the most part. Is there anything to see along Bonnet Creek Parkway? I guess the frontage of OKW and PO.

I'm not sure there is any less to see along Bonnett Creek than World Drive. All you really see until you get to the gate is what they've set up (stages, characters, etc). I think looping through FW is a good idea.

Someone tell me this idea isn't awful.

I'm very skeptical of finding one more night of DVC to rent points for. We have Wed-Sunday booked at OKW, and our flight leaves at 640 on Monday morning. DH will have to check out of OKW while I'm running on Sunday, AND handle DD, AND get the luggage transferred (assuming rental car prices don't come down.) Would it "be terrible" to go from OKW to an All Star for the last night? We are tossing around the idea of paying for 2 nights so there's no gap between check out and check in where DH would be essentially "stranded" with DD while I finish my race, find somewhere to shower, etc. I'd LOVE to stay at SSR so we could just walk over to DS and eat/drink/shop Sunday afternoon and evening and not have to deal with the busses, but we can get 2 nights at any of the All Stars for the same money as one night at POR or POFQ, assuming nothing comes available at SSR. Uuugh. I'm such an over-planner. But I REALLY like to get this kind of stuff nailed down while there's still plenty of availability to get what we want.

I'm very skeptical of finding one more night of DVC to rent points for. We have Wed-Sunday booked at OKW, and our flight leaves at 640 on Monday morning. DH will have to check out of OKW while I'm running on Sunday, AND handle DD, AND get the luggage transferred (assuming rental car prices don't come down.) Would it "be terrible" to go from OKW to an All Star for the last night? We are tossing around the idea of paying for 2 nights so there's no gap between check out and check in where DH would be essentially "stranded" with DD while I finish my race, find somewhere to shower, etc. I'd LOVE to stay at SSR so we could just walk over to DS and eat/drink/shop Sunday afternoon and evening and not have to deal with the busses, but we can get 2 nights at any of the All Stars for the same money as one night at POR or POFQ, assuming nothing comes available at SSR. Uuugh. I'm such an over-planner. But I REALLY like to get this kind of stuff nailed down while there's still plenty of availability to get what we want.

I'd book All Star for the two nights. You could even go ahead and move the bulk of your luggage and things over before Sunday if you want, and keep the things you need just for that day in the OKW room. Then I would waitlist a single night at OKW (which you could combine with your existing res if it comes through) and two nights at SSR. Take whichever comes through first. I'm seeing DVC rooms popping up on the regular, so I would bet one of those waitlists would come through before you'd need to cancel AS.

I'd book All Star for the two nights. You could even go ahead and move the bulk of your luggage and things over before Sunday if you want, and keep the things you need just for that day in the OKW room. Then I would waitlist a single night at OKW (which you could combine with your existing res if it comes through) and two nights at SSR. Take whichever comes through first. I'm seeing DVC rooms popping up on the regular, so I would bet one of those waitlists would come through before you'd need to cancel AS.

this is a great idea. The issue is that we don’t own dvc, and I usually just rent points from someone off the boards here, and I don’t know how I, or an owner, would feel about waitlisting. 🤷🏻‍♀️

this is a great idea. The issue is that we don’t own dvc, and I usually just rent points from someone off the boards here, and I don’t know how I, or an owner, would feel about waitlisting. 🤷🏻‍♀️

AHHHHH that does complicate things. I'm an owner but have never rented my points out so I'm not sure how that works. It might be worth inquiring with a few rental agencies, just to find out if it's an option.

I just saw availability in a 1Br at OKW for Sunday night! Idk anything about renting, but could you contact the person you’re renting from and add the night?

2F8F1856-E193-493A-A7CF-E5E2FAA0CF38.jpeg

AHHHHH that does complicate things. I'm an owner but have never rented my points out so I'm not sure how that works. It might be worth inquiring with a few rental agencies, just to find out if it's an option.
Right. That's always an option too. I have no idea how the owner side of things works. I'm pretty sure they just put my info in for the "who is staying" stuff and they usually send a screenshot with a confirmation number and I just link it in MDE. It's probably more complicated than that.

I just saw availability in a 1Br at OKW for Sunday night! Idk anything about renting, but could you contact the person you’re renting from and add the night?
They were kind enough to borrow a few points for me to complete our reservation as it stands. All of this is being compounded by our desire to "stay somewhere new" as well. LOL!

PLUS the "save all the money!" side of me is dying over the fact that DH has already directed nearly as much spending on lodging as I had budgeted for the whole trip had I gone solo.

They were kind enough to borrow a few points for me to complete our reservation as it stands. All of this is being compounded by our desire to "stay somewhere new" as well. LOL!

PLUS the "save all the money!" side of me is dying over the fact that DH has already directed nearly as much spending on lodging as I had budgeted for the whole trip had I gone solo.
Ohhhh I see. I'd probably go with the all-star option then, only because I'd hate to not have a room on marathon day. It'll probably be sad to switch from a 1 br OKW to an all-star room (granted I've never stayed at either, but the category jump is pretty significant), but if you're leaving that early on Monday morning I don't think it'll be that significant of an issue. Overall, I think any room is better than no room...

Right. That's always an option too. I have no idea how the owner side of things works. I'm pretty sure they just put my info in for the "who is staying" stuff and they usually send a screenshot with a confirmation number and I just link it in MDE. It's probably more complicated than that.

Ask them if the owner would be willing/able to book the same room type for you with the DVC cash inventory and have you pay them that cash price or cash price+% markup. It's probably the same price as 2 nights in the All Star,but the reservations could be linked so you don't have to move.

Edited to clarify: Price is typically less than what you see on the disneyworld website.

Last edited:

Would your family be willing to split up for Saturday night? If you got two nights at the All Star, you could take the bulk of your family's things on Saturday, spend the night there, and then your husband and DD make the transfer at their leisure the next morning.

SAFD:
If I could stay anywhere on property for free, I would return to Poly or BC and be in a suite with CL. I love the location of both of these resorts and their pools. The CL would be practical for snacking at odd hours because of the races odd hours and the suite would mean space and privacy for early mornings race preparation.

Lately, I have trouble justifying that kind of hotel/resort expenses. I would rather travel more often or splurge on something else than a room. So I would be perfectly happy with a well organized, clean room, efficient transportation and food court. Pop or AsMo are perfect for race weekends and I look forward to returning, one day, hopefully.

Lately, I have trouble justifying that kind of hotel/resort expenses. I would rather travel more often or splurge on something else than a room. So I would be perfectly happy with a well organized, clean room, efficient transportation and food court. Pop or AsMo are perfect for race weekends and I look forward to returning, one day, hopefully.

I'm right there with you! I can save thousands by staying at value resorts and flying the cheap, no-frills airline, which lets me do two Disney vacations/year instead of one (or a different vacation, etc.). We are basically only in the room to shower and sleep while at Disney, and while I would love to stay in one-bedroom suites on the monorail more often, I just cannot justify the price.

Hence my October stay at Pop and my marathon weekend stay at All-Stars!

Marathon weekend is a chance to ditch Nana and DS6 at a deluxe resort with a responsible adult (not either of them)…
What was the question again?

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 142 days away from the start of Marathon Weekend!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, pick one Disney character to be your running buddy for whatever race(s) you’re registered for and explain why you picked them.

I’m probably going with Genie. You know he’d be funny and keep you entertained for 26.2 miles, plus having three wishes could come in handy:

- I wish I was in Corral A
- I wish for a perfect photo in front of the castle
- I wish for an ice cold margarita

Have a great week, everyone!

SAFD: From a traditional viewpoint, I would have to go with Donald Duck as I've always enjoyed his happy-go-lucky approach to life and feel a close connection to him (maybe because my middle name is Donald). Plus, when he gets angry, he's pretty funny. From a modern perspective, I may go with R2D2 as my 8-year old self loved that droid when the original Star Wars movie came out (plus I could just hop on for a ride when needed).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter