Marathon Weekend 2021

So let me ask this, I still consider myself a novice runner after two years. Ive only done one 10k and that was done to get a POT after I comitted to run the Star Wars Half Marathon this coming April. Ive told myself if the Half goes well, Id try the full. The question is, is jumping up to Goofy or Dopey for 2021 too much of a stretch given my limited experience?
It depends on the type of runner you are. If you're doing high mileage training for your half, then jumping into Goofy or Dopey is not a problem at well. If you aren't, then well it'll depend, you just got to take the races before like "long walk" or "easy jog" and save the wear and tear until Marathon Sunday.

So let me ask this, I still consider myself a novice runner after two years. Ive only done one 10k and that was done to get a POT after I comitted to run the Star Wars Half Marathon this coming April. Ive told myself if the Half goes well, Id try the full. The question is, is jumping up to Goofy or Dopey for 2021 too much of a stretch given my limited experience?
Ran my first half about 8 months after starting to run. Ran the whole thing, well tried to anyway. I ended up run/walking the last 4 miles had not trained any other way but to always run.
It was after that that I found out about the runDisney events and started the run/walk program. Signed up for the Dopey and started the Galloway program. I did another 1/2 Before the Dopey and shaved 17 minutes off my time.
The training Is what go me through it. which ever training you follow just stick with it. You got this

After a very long lay-off from running - years - I discovered runDisney reading an article on line. I signed up for the Goofy Challenge in 2015. My first real races were that half and full. I followed a training plan and had a great time completing the challenge. With a good training plan to follow you can absolutely do as a first (IMO). Good luck!!

If you start building in Sat & Sun (or another back to back if those particular days don't work for your schedule) every week where you have a shorter run followed by your long run the next day. I think (and I've never run a Dopey or Goofy, but I do tend to run every sat & sun when training) that it will be a good habit that will make racing back to back feel more normal.
Please take the advise of those who've actually done it before you take mine though :)

My girls and I did the Disney Half five years ago in 2015. My sister in law and I planning on doing the half next year 2021. She has never really run before in her life, kinda hates it....lol. I'm going to start training with her early so by the time we get down there it won't be so bad. I also run/walk, which will make it easier on her also. Quick question, the last time I ran I went through a travel agent to purchase the bibs for my girls and I, I was afraid of not getting in. This year I want to go through Run Disney directly. How fast does the Half sell out? I know it goes on sale April 7, I just need to know if I have to be up at the crack of dawn to purchase our bibs ☺ :thanks:

I think you'll be fine if you completed purchase that day, the half sells out faster than the full, but shouldn't require trigger reflex. 5k and 10k sells out super quick. I wouldn't bother going through travel agent.

After my Dopey debacle this year I will certainly need some form of redemption. More than likely it will be in the form of Dopey, but now that I don’t have to worry about being perfect I could decide on something else. No doubt the Marathon will be involved in some way though.

I have my fingers crossed, but I usually get signed up through CIGNA (where my wife works) and this year the available slots kind of went *poit*--we're assuming due to the acquisitions they made in the past year. Hopefully this year will work out better for us, because I've missed Marathon Weekend.

I also mentioned to my wife about someday doing the full Marathon (right now I'm just a 5K vet), and I think I got threatened with either divorce, murder or institutionalization. :)

My girls and I did the Disney Half five years ago in 2015. My sister in law and I planning on doing the half next year 2021. She has never really run before in her life, kinda hates it....lol. I'm going to start training with her early so by the time we get down there it won't be so bad. I also run/walk, which will make it easier on her also. Quick question, the last time I ran I went through a travel agent to purchase the bibs for my girls and I, I was afraid of not getting in. This year I want to go through Run Disney directly. How fast does the Half sell out? I know it goes on sale April 7, I just need to know if I have to be up at the crack of dawn to purchase our bibs ☺ :thanks:
My girls singed up for this year's half a few months after it opened. Might have been May or might have been Oct. It was while I was in Disney for one of the festivals and drinking around the world showcase when they asked if we'd pay the airfare and registration and we said yes because we were feeling good. Edit to add: looks like it was early Oct when they registered for the half.

Parks are going to be crazy busy that close to New Year’s! Can’t control that, though. Just how prepared we are for the races!

I probably won't be at MW next year because of the way the dates fall. I think it is too close to the holidays for me. I didn't enjoy it in 2018 when it was early, though not as early as this.

Plus I want to take my kids. Probably go late Jan or early Feb. Maybe Princess Weekend if I can wrangle it. :P

Parks are going to be crazy busy that close to New Year’s! Can’t control that, though. Just how prepared we are for the races!

I’m planning a Disney Springs and Resorts year next time. We did parks the last couple of weekends that were close to the Holidays and it was no fun. Plenty of good food and good times to be found outside of the parks. If we hit the parks it will probably be the days following the Marathon.

There are two dynamics in-play here. Based on my experience, the far tougher feat is the progression from being able to complete a half to being able to complete a full. I've said this before - and I firmly believe this - a full marathon isn't twice as tough as a half but it *is* pretty tough. I think the "inflection point" is around 18-20 miles. If you can do 18-20 in training, you can do a full...but it takes a lot of work and a lot of effort. A lot!

The other dynamic is the back-to-back runs. Yes, running a half and then running a full marathon the very next day is NUTS!!! (Well...Goofy!) The good news is (again, based on my experience) that if you're well-trained for a full marathon, then doing the Goofy or the Dopey is a piece of cake. Heck, if you're well-trained for the full, the toughest part about Dopey is the 4 stright, ungodly early morning alarms!!!

Good luck!!!!

. I think the "inflection point" is around 18-20 miles. If you can do 18-20 in training, you can do a full...but it takes a lot of work and a lot of effort. A lot!
Good luck!!!!

I disagree with you on this point. You don’t have to run 18-20 miles in training as long as you have the right plan, even being your first marathon. I went from a half to full as part of dopey in one year. I was on a @DopeyBadger plan and my longest run in training was only 10.5 miles. I may not be fast but I had absolutely no problems finishing and felt great at the end even with last year’s heat, not quite as hot as this year but it was still toasty.

The key is finding the right plan that works for you and stick to it. Put the effort into the training and you will be fine.

I probably won't be at MW next year because of the way the dates fall. I think it is too close to the holidays for me. I didn't enjoy it in 2018 when it was early, though not as early as this.

The marathon was earlier in 2018, the marathon was on the 7th which was my oldest son's birthday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter