Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD: Animal Kingdom is my favorite park for all the reasons previously mentioned.

My favorite memory: when my boys were ages 3 & 5, we had ostriches running alongside our jeep on KS. If you've ever seen ostriches run, then you know it is a very funny sight! My boys and all of the kids (and adults) were howling with laughter. It was definitely a magical Disney moment. Funny though, we have not seen any ostriches while on KS ever since.

SAFD: Anything animal related: safari, walking trails, exploration station. Tree of Life.

favorite memory: when my boys were ages 3 & 5, we had ostriches running alongside our jeep on KS. If you've ever seen ostriches run, then you know it is a very funny sight! My boys and all of the kids (and adults) were howling with laughter. It was definitely a magical Disney moment. Funny though, we have not seen any ostriches while on KS ever since.

If the ostrich had the same social issues with people (or the ride trucks) that emu have AK may have determined they were a better fit elsewhere. The zoo I volunteer at has a walk through exhibit that had emus when it opened, over the next 4 years they were slowly removed from exhibit as they began to show anti social behaviors to keepers and volunteers; thankfully they never went after a guest.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, we're talking about Animal Kingdom! Tell us what you enjoy most about the park or share any Animal Kingdom-specific memories you have.

I love the safari! I've had some great experiences seeing the lions fairly active as well as having rhinos come running in front of our jeep.

Flight of Passage is a 12/10. Such a good ride.

I also love to watch the gorillas.

My only complaint is that it has a climate of its own. I swear that park is hotter and more humid than the rest of Florida.

SAFD Gratitude: First off, this is a tremendous choice. As difficult as this year has been for everyone, remembering everything that we have to be grateful for will help us better endure the challenges that we face. I'm grateful for my faith in God which helps keep me sane. I'm grateful for friends that reach out to me through texts and such during times when we cannot get together. I'm grateful for the time I've been able to spend with my nephews during the pandemic. Since I don't have a washer and dryer at home, we decided that it's safer for me to do laundry at my sister's than the laundromat. So spending more time with my nephews has been good for me and them. And since this is a running focused thread, I'm grateful for the life lessons I've learned from taking up running and for all the support that everyone in this community gives me as I run.

SAFD Animal Kingdom:

Tiffins.

Honorable mention to Expedition Everest.

Fascinatingly enough one of my favorite Animal Kingdom memories has very little to do with Animal Kingdom. During the 2019 Marathon, one of my good friends decided to be my virtual cheering squad. He would send me random encouragement through texts, and from about mile 16 on, he started going for very creative and funny messages, which culminated in some sort of crazy mashup involving the Mel Brooks classic Spaceballs and Pandora the world of Avatar. It gave me a much needed laughter boost.

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, we're keeping with the parks theme and moving on to Hollywood Studios. Tell us your favorite things about the park, memories that standout or anything else you associate with HS.

While Hollywood has given up any semblance of a cohesive overall theme, I think it's home to two of the best themed attractions in all of WDW - Tower of Terror and Rise of the Resistance. Those rides are in another stratosphere in terms of experiences and I love them both. Toy Story Midway Mania rounds out my top three and is so much fun. I remember when touring plans would tell you to sprint back to that at park open so you wouldn't have a two hour wait later.

I love the Muppets, so Muppets 3D gets a special mention.

Galaxy's Edge is beautiful and I love it, but I miss the Streets of America and I wish I had gotten a chance to see the Osborne Lights.

Food-wise, I think 50's Prime Time Cafe is grossly underrated (their pot roast is so good!) and Sci-Fi Dine-in is a must-do experience at least once.

Special memories: Doing RnRC for the first time and feeling like my insides were going to be my outsides. RotR for the first time with @FFigawi. My youngest surprising us all by doing ToT like a freaking champ when she was only 4. Running through it for three marathons, knowing I was in the home stretch.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

Tell us your favorite things about the park, memories that standout or anything else you associate with HS.
Hollywood Studios has come a long way for me. I think it’s probably my number two park now. I love SWGE and TSL. Baseline Tap house is a must stop. Mickey and Minnie’s is another great new addition too. Definitely miss the Osborne lights as well but I enjoy what we got in return. DHS has the best Christmas decor of the four parks.

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, we're keeping with the parks theme and moving on to Hollywood Studios. Tell us your favorite things about the park, memories that standout or anything else you associate with HS.

MGM/DHS is one of my favorite parks. We spend the majority of our park days traveling back and forth between there and Epcot. Well, back in the days when park hopping was still a thing. Anyway, DHS is home to three of my favorite WDW rides - Tower of Terror, Rise of the Resistance, and RnRC, two of which I always try to ride during the full, and the other is forever linked to Rogue Two with @lhermiston

Galaxy's Edge is wonderfully done and fantastic to look at and wander around in, but I miss many of the older entertainment options. RIP Animation Academy.

While Hollywood has given up any semblance of a cohesive overall theme, I think it's home to two of the best themed attractions in all of WDW - Tower of Terror and Rise of the Resistance. Those rides are in another stratosphere in terms of experiences and I love them both. Toy Story Midway Mania rounds out my top three and is so much fun. I remember when touring plans would tell you to sprint back to that at park open so you wouldn't have a two hour wait later.

I love the Muppets, so Muppets 3D gets a special mention.

Galaxy's Edge is beautiful and I love it, but I miss the Streets of America and I wish I had gotten a chance to see the Osborne Lights.

Food-wise, I think 50's Prime Time Cafe is grossly underrated (their pot roast is so good!) and Sci-Fi Dine-in is a must-do experience at least once.

Special memories: Doing RnRC for the first time and feeling like my insides were going to be my outsides. RotR for the first time with @FFigawi. My youngest surprising us all by doing ToT like a freaking champ when she was only 4. Running through it for three marathons, knowing I was in the home stretch.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!
One memory that stands out is our family's first meal in Disney which was at Prime Time. I was so excited to be at Disney with my kids that I didn't look at prices (completely out of character for thrifty me) and just ordered one of the specials. When the bill came I was shocked, but I just laughed when I saw that my "special" salad cost more than the other two meals put together. It's still a running joke in our home whenever I make a "special" salad similar to the one I ordered at Prime Time.

On the last trip, I had the nap of my life in the Muppet theater. God, I was such a walking disaster that trip (I was battling a kidney stone the entire week).

I love Tower of Terror... it took me years to be brave enough. I love a good thrill ride, but scary theming can really mess with me. It took YEARS to get me on Haunted Mansion. Tower of Terror I once wimped out on after the pre-show because that lightning and thunder scared the crap out of me. I have a thing about loud noises.

I think my favorite thing about HS though is the citizens of sunset blvd/hollywood/etc. I could watch their shows all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter