Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD marathon weekend wishlist:

1. Cool weather for the races.
2. Good character stops
3. Have great races with my friend who is doing the 5k and her first half marathon
4. Hopefully some fastpasses open up that we weren't about to get so far.
5. Rise of the resistance and much more time in Star Wars land. Didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted when I was there for Wine and Dine.
6. A marathon course that at least some nice changes to it.

Wishes:

1) Drink
2) For Qi'ra to have a good show weekend in Brooksville, FL with her handler. We're sending her off in Mid-December for training and the shows there start Thursday 1/9 and continue until 1/20. Part of our Disney trip will be worrying about her. The boys will be at their kennel.
3) Have my husband finally experience Galaxy's Edge

Hi, Everyone!

We have a list minute opportunity to go to Florida for the Marathon weekend but it looks like it's sold out. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I remember that you can get the bibs from travel agents but can't remember where to find a list etc. We need 2- 10k bibs and 1 - marathon.

Thanks!
Cat
Try calling WDW Travel; there is a hotel and ticket stay requirement.

Does anyone know the approximate distance and % incline of the highway overpasses on the HM and M routes? Thanks!

I tried on several different platforms (Strava, Garmin, and Google Pedometer Maps) to get you an answer. But the answer is they're so "small" that they barely register enough for me to do any calculations on them. You can see my Strava activity here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1345456109
We don't know the actual marathon course yet for 2020, but according to the Strava activity the miles that have any slowing effect on normal pace would be:

Mile 2 - +3 sec (EPCOT center drive to World Dr.)
Mile 13 - +4 sec (Back entrance to AK)
Mile 14 - +4 sec (Inside AK)
Mile 17 - +3 sec (Osceloa Pkwy overpass); 86 ft to 98 ft in 0.1 miles, but I definitely feel like the elevation change is really struggling here to pick it up.

Every other mile has a 2 second or less effect. Not exactly what you were looking for, but hope it helps.

Here you can see the overpasses visually on youtube (the clips should each play right on time for the overpasses).

SAFD (all repeats of others):
1) Nice, cool weather for races, warming up a little later in the day
2) Having fun in the races, enjoying accomplishing the Goofy distance
3) Letting go of trying to PR in the marathon and instead go to item 2, above
4) Getting blown away by Galaxy's Edge
5) "Exciting" new marathon course actually being exciting

I tried on several different platforms (Strava, Garmin, and Google Pedometer Maps) to get you an answer. But the answer is they're so "small" that they barely register enough for me to do any calculations on them. You can see my Strava activity here:

Thank you so much for taking time to do that, @DopeyBadger . I tried Strava and Mapmyrun too with the same result, and thought someone who had previously run the course might have more luck, from looking at their running record of the course.

I read an online race recap, where the runner said they had to walk up the "steep ramps" leading up onto the highway and found the ascent difficult, even so. That had me thinking that I should find out how steep/long those ramps actually are. For example, if the ramps are 300m at 4% incline, then I'd run that several times on the treadmill on each of my weights day.

By the way, the plan you designed for me is AMAZING! I'm never so beat up I can't complete the next workout, but I'm a good 5% faster than at the start of the plan. Thanks again! :)

SAFD:
1) Everyone stay in good health through the vacation and races.
2) Nice course with good characters meets.
3) Have fun all the way to finishing Dopey and more.
4) Decent weather. No rain. Although I will be training in sub freezing temperatures until then and would probably find the heat difficult to cope with, I would rather the rest of my party to be warm and for myself to go to the pool and water parks.
5) Meet you.
6) Have a few Dole Whip Floats.
7) Get DH to do FoP and RoR without feeling nauseous.
8) Be upgraded for free from Pop Standard Rooms to Club Level Suites at Beach Club :rotfl2:

Guys Touring Plans just emailed me that AK is now open til 8pm instead of 6pm on marathon Sunday. I really hate when they change hours after fast pass day. Maybe you can nab some FoP fast passes in those 2 extra hours if you act fast!
I was trying to add the Awakening of the Tree of Life to my plans as a note and it says that it is not available for my date. Do they really stop doing this in Winter?

SAFD:
1) Cool mornings (40-50's) with warm afternoons (60-70s) and no rain
2) Quality merch at the expo that I actually want to buy - I feel like this has really gone downhill the last couple of years with generic, poor quality stuff.
3) Hoping my DVC waitlist comes through at the Riviera
4) Rise of the Resistance! With reasonable wait times so I can ride it three times!
5) Staying healthy and injury free
6) Another set of marathon mouse ears waiting for us at the finish line
7) And hopefully meeting some of you wonderful people!

I read an online race recap, where the runner said they had to walk up the "steep ramps" leading up onto the highway and found the ascent difficult, even so. That had me thinking that I should find out how steep/long those ramps actually are.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
For anyone who has ever actually run up a hill, WDW’s ramps are nothing! I will say the last one before HS (with the green army ”man”) does feel like a mountain at the time. It’s late in the race and any incline is not welcome. However, it is pretty short (and followed by a decline). Even if you choose to walk it (which I did in 2019), it shouldn’t affect your time or overall performance by much.

Thank you so much for taking time to do that, @DopeyBadger . I tried Strava and Mapmyrun too with the same result, and thought someone who had previously run the course might have more luck, from looking at their running record of the course.

I read an online race recap, where the runner said they had to walk up the "steep ramps" leading up onto the highway and found the ascent difficult, even so. That had me thinking that I should find out how steep/long those ramps actually are. For example, if the ramps are 300m at 4% incline, then I'd run that several times on the treadmill on each of my weights day.

By the way, the plan you designed for me is AMAZING! I'm never so beat up I can't complete the next workout, but I'm a good 5% faster than at the start of the plan. Thanks again! :)

So from what I've read the minumum height of a freeway overpass is 17 feet. (that's the height to the bottom of the overpass). If we round up to 20 and then add 5 feet for the distance between the deck and the bottom of the bridge I think that's a reasonable estimate for the height of these overpasses. I don't remember exactly how long the ramp up to the top is but I'd guess it's between .2 and .05 Miles. If it's .2 then it's a 2% grade if it's .5 it's a 9% grade.
Actually Looking at the shadows on 2 of the ramps on GMAPs pedometer i measured the inclines at .2 and .12 miles respectively. So you're 4% incline is probably not unreasonable, but it's likely a little harder than what you'll actually experience at Disney.

Another week of training done! Woohoo!

I’m mostly worried about weather at this point - weather to get out of RI on our flight without issue, weather to tour the parks in comfort, weather to get to use Stormalong bay, and OF COURSE weather that’s in the 40-50 degree range for marathon morning.

if you need me, I’m over here doing weather dances for the next 50 days!

I'm sure someone on here can help me with this question...

Me, my wife and my parents are staying at Pop Century for Marathon Weekend. I am doing Dopey. My wife is running the 10K. We were thinking it would be cool for my parents to watch the 10K at the Boardwalk (I know we'll only run by them for a moment each). I was initially thinking the Skyliner might be an option to get them to the Boardwalk, but Rteetz mentioned it wasn't running early during Wine & Dine, so I'm assuming it won't be for Marathon Weekend. Are there any other viable options for my parents to get to the Boardwalk? Or should they just plan on watching the finish at the Epcot parking lot?

Of course, they might just decide to sleep in and find out how the race went after the fact.

SAFD:
*To finish the half with a goal time since it’s my first and enjoy doing it
*that my mom might actually come see me do it (seriously, who misses their kids first half to sleep in?! My daughter says she’ll cheer me on though, so maybe she’ll lay the guilt on Grandma. Hubby should be since he’ll finish before me)
*to get a race pic (or two) I actually like
* a post race glass of champagne (or a few)
* short lines for ROTR (these are wishes after all 😂😂)
* to get to hang out with friends who are running too a few times during the week and maybe meet some new people too

oh and to be silly....to have my 11-12 minute pace magically catch up to my husbands 8 min marathon pace so I can pass him and wave. I wonder which characters magic wand has that power? 😂😂😂😂

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
For anyone who has ever actually run up a hill, WDW’s ramps are nothing! I will say the last one before HS (with the green army ”man”) does feel like a mountain at the time. It’s late in the race and any incline is not welcome. However, it is pretty short (and followed by a decline). Even if you choose to walk it (which I did in 2019), it shouldn’t affect your time or overall performance by much.
So from what I've read the minumum height of a freeway overpass is 17 feet. (that's the height to the bottom of the overpass). If we round up to 20 and then add 5 feet for the distance between the deck and the bottom of the bridge I think that's a reasonable estimate for the height of these overpasses. I don't remember exactly how long the ramp up to the top is but I'd guess it's between .2 and .05 Miles. If it's .2 then it's a 2% grade if it's .5 it's a 9% grade.
Actually Looking at the shadows on 2 of the ramps on GMAPs pedometer i measured the inclines at .2 and .12 miles respectively. So you're 4% incline is probably not unreasonable, but it's likely a little harder than what you'll actually experience at Disney.

Really helpful information. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter