Marathon Weekend 2020

OK, full disclosure time. I've been immensely curious about the new Marathon course right after the runDisney Blog mentioned the new changes on September 20th. And I fully understood I would not receive any more information until mid-December. 3 long months to wait. The suspense is killing me.

To keep my impatience slightly under control, I've been re-reading the 2019 forum posts right before and right after the waivers, corrals and event guides were released. Considering that we are in the 'calm before the storm' now -- with just our normal training routines and long runs to plan -- it helps to keep the motivation train going.

And.... based on my estimations, we are approximately 1 month away from the release of info. A little research produced the numbers below. And check out the increasing size of this thread each year...

WDWM Year
Mickey Race
Bibs (waivers) Available
Days Apart
Forum Pages
1/12​
12/14 *​
28 *​
714 *​
1/13​
12/17​
26​
593​
1/7​
12/13​
24​
471​
1/8​
12/16​
22​
350​

* projected based on recent trends
What about an estimate for "When the USATF map gets posted?" Doesn't that get posted before Disney officially releases it?

Reducing the field isn't going to make the race finish sooner unless they plan on having like 3 huge corrals. And at that point you might be saving like 20-30 minutes. The slowest person is still going to be the slowest person regardless of the field size.

Just catching up on all the pages....Somebody here will have the correct data, but with the smaller number of runners last year, didn't the balloon ladies end up starting like 15-20 minutes earlier than past years? Assuming my memory isn't that far off, take that 15-20 minute earlier finish time and combine it with moving the start up 30 minutes and Disney will have bought itself almost an extra hour.

With all the construction impacting the space available to RD, especially at the start/finish, I wouldn't be surprised if they were told to reduce the size of the field for what is their largest race (at least I think it is). While it is giving up revenue (and more than just the registration fees (which I suspect don't do much more than cover RD expenses for the race weekend) as there should be a loss to hotel stays, tickets, food, etc.), the simple fact is that with the number of people Disney deals with on any given day, the amount of that "lost" revenue from a reduced field of what 2,000-3,000 probably isn't even a rounding error to them.

OK, full disclosure time. I've been immensely curious about the new Marathon course right after the runDisney Blog mentioned the new changes on September 20th. And I fully understood I would not receive any more information until mid-December. 3 long months to wait. The suspense is killing me.
You are not alone! I'm on my 5th iteration of trying to create a new marathon course that has "more time in EP" and includes BB... and still can't make it work without including WWOS.

JUST SHOW US THE COURSE, runDISNEY!!!

Just catching up on all the pages....Somebody here will have the correct data, but with the smaller number of runners last year, didn't the balloon ladies end up starting like 15-20 minutes earlier than past years?

You are correct. The biggest gun-chip difference in the 2019 Marathon was around 40-45 min (I believe I remember it being stated the balloon ladies left at 6:17 last year). In 2018, the biggest difference I could find was around 58 min. So this suggests a loss of about 15-20 min like you said from the year prior. The rate of bibs crossing the line was similar between 2018 and 2019.

2018 - 26983 bibs in 60 min = 450 bibs/min; 20092 finishers in 60 min = 335 runners/min
2019 - 17907 bibs in 42 min = 425 bibs/min; 11936 finishers in 42 min = 284 runners/min

That's how we'll get a rough guesstimate as to the timing of the 2020 balloon ladies and all the other corral releases.

You are not alone! I'm on my 5th iteration of trying to create a new marathon course that has "more time in EP" and includes BB... and still can't make it work without including WWOS.

My best guess - bring back the early loop through Epcot, if construction allows (hence the earlier start time) ... keep the out-and-back near the treatment plant... to AK ... to Osceloa Parkway to Buena Vista Drive (through Blizzard Beach) to Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk to Epcot... finishing where Wine & Dine did through the back-lot area ...

I tried a few mappings, and this one is almost the right distance -- it's about 0.4 miles too long; I probably was a little too optimistic with the extra distance I added within DHS.

Some key details: A loop around Epcot to start; No out/back before DAK; No WWoS; Eastbound side of Osceola Parkway ( not the usual westbound side).
One error: it should have same finish line as W&D; I created this map before I saw the W&D course.

My guess at the Mickey Marathon 2020 course : https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2702016808

My best guess - bring back the early loop through Epcot, if construction allows (hence the earlier start time) ... keep the out-and-back near the treatment plant... to AK ... to Osceloa Parkway to Buena Vista Drive (through Blizzard Beach) to Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk to Epcot... finishing where Wine & Dine did through the back-lot area ...
That's exactly what I mapped... and came up around 3 miles short.

I tried a few mappings, and this one is almost the right distance -- it's about 0.4 miles too long; I probably was a little too optimistic with the extra distance I added within DHS.

Some key details: A loop around Epcot to start; No out/back before DAK; No WWoS; Eastbound side of Osceola Parkway ( not the usual westbound side).
One error: it should have same finish line as W&D; I created this map before I saw the W&D course.

My guess at the Mickey Marathon 2020 course : https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2702016808
Not sure they would do 0 WWoS. I definitely expect less time there but I don’t know about no miles at all.

What about an estimate for "When the USATF map gets posted?" Doesn't that get posted before Disney officially releases it?
I reviewed the last 10 years of Disney Marathon USATF certifications, and noticed a few interesting details:
  • course is measured twice every year
  • first measurement is early -- sometimes July or September
  • second measurement is usually November (last year it was 11/19)
So, the certified course is known right now. Actually, I'm sure it was known back in July or August. This realization isn't helping my patience. And, based on my tracking of the USATF maps over the last 12 years, they frequently don't become public ('active') until the week before the race -- sometimes the day before the specific race.

(Thanks to dobbal23 for this link)
https://www.certifiedroadraces.com

Last edited:
I reviewed the last 10 years of Disney Marathon USATF certifications, and noticed a few interesting details:
  • course is measured twice every year
  • first measurement is early -- sometimes July or September
  • second measurement is usually November (last year it was 11/19)
So, the certified course is known right now. Actually, I'm sure it was known back in July or August. This realization isn't helping my patience. And, based on my tracking of the USATF maps over the last 12 years, they frequently don't become public ('active') until the week before the race -- sometimes the day before the specific race.

That being said, I'm very sad to report that USATF has very recently redesigned their web site. We can no longer search for USATF certified course maps! :(
If someone can find the magic link on their site which allow us to search, please share and I'll buy you the beverage of your choice at Marathon weekend....
It looks like you can search courses/maps at https://www.certifiedroadraces.com. You just need to sign up for an account (basically, pick a username/password). There is no cost associated.

Not sure they would do 0 WWoS. I definitely expect less time there but I don’t know about no miles at all.
Including WWoS would be a challenge, especially if we add BB and extra running time in Epcot. The miles wouldn't add up. Plus, BB adds some serious traffic challenges.

Here's my logic for the course that I created -- and Dopey Badger detailed some of these earlier back in September :

• The new 5am start. I believe Disney has the earlier start so we can be 'on schedule' -- as compared to previous years -- and clear Magic Kingdom and World Drive at the earliest time of day. So, the 'extra time in Epcot' would most likely occur in the early miles of the race. One possible flaw in my proposed course: I included a full loop around the World Showcase, which adds about 4 miles to return to the 'old' 1 mile marker; the extra 30 minutes for the early start would allow for just 2 miles at a 15 mm pace. But, if we take away those 2 extra miles, and only run 2 miles in Epcot at the beginning, we still don't have enough distance to include WWoS.

• Blizzard Beach (BB) and Osceola Parkway (OP): Here is where the course becomes challenging to design. Basically, how do the runners travel from DAK to BB? In prior years, we ran on the OP eastbound side -- after leaving DAK, the course was coned, and the right lane was open for traffic up to McDonalds and the Buena Vista Drive exit. Disney needs to provide traffic flow for Animal Kingdom, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Resorts, and McDonalds. If we run on the OP eastbound side and use the McDonalds exit ramp, we are blocking traffic in multiple directions. So, I'm expecting we will exit DAK through the DAK toll booths and run on the OP westbound side (heading East). We can now easily exit OP at BVD and then, after running through BB, re-enter OP heading east (but using the OP westbound lanes, again). Now, we can continue for a short distance on OP to the World Drive exit and then head up the ramp (with the 'Toy Story' Army Sergeant) to DHS. If we include WWoS, we would need to add 3 miles at least to the course, and I'm not sure where we would find them, even with eliminating the out/back before DAK.

Last edited:
Hi, Everyone!

We have a list minute opportunity to go to Florida for the Marathon weekend but it looks like it's sold out. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I remember that you can get the bibs from travel agents but can't remember where to find a list etc. We need 2- 10k bibs and 1 - marathon.

Thanks!
Cat

Including WWoS would be a challenge, especially if we add BB and extra running time in Epcot. The miles wouldn't add up. Plus, BB adds some serious traffic challenges.

Here's my logic for the course that I created -- and Dopey Badger detailed some of these earlier back in September :

• The new 5am start. I believe Disney has the earlier start so we can be 'on schedule' -- as compared to previous years -- and clear Magic Kingdom and World Drive at the earliest time of day. So, the 'extra time in Epcot' will be occur in the early miles of the race. One possible flaw in my proposed course: I included a full loop around the World Showcase, which adds about 4 miles to return to the 'old' 1 mile marker; the extra 30 minutes for the early start would allow for just 2 miles at a 15 mm pace. But, if we take away those 2 extra miles, and only run 2 miles in Epcot at the beginning, we still don't have enough distance to include WWoS.

• Blizzard Beach (BB) and Osceola Parkway (OP): Here is where the course becomes challenging to design. Basically, how do the runners travel from DAK to BB? In prior years, we ran on the OP eastbound side -- after leaving DAK, the course was coned, and the right lane was open for traffic up to McDonalds and the Buena Vista Drive exit. Disney needs to provide traffic flow for Animal Kingdom, Animal Kingdom Lodge and McDonalds. If we run on the OP eastbound side and use the McDonalds exit ramp, we are blocking traffic in multiple directions. So, I'm expecting we will exit DAK through the DAK toll boths and run on the OP westbound side (heading East). We can now easily exit OP at BVD and then, after running through BB, re-enter OP heading east (but using the OP westbound lanes, again). Now, we can continue for a short distance on OP to the World Drive exit and then head up the ramp (with the 'Toy Story' Army Sergeant) to DHS. If we include WWoS, we would need to add 3 miles at least to the course, and I'm not sure where we would find them, even with eliminating the out/back before DAK.
BB really does throw a wrench into everything and makes it more difficult to figure out what they are going for.

Doing the half marathon. Would you suggest driving over to WWOS to pick up our race packet or taking a resort bus? I have never been over to WWOS before and not sure how the parking is there.

BB really does throw a wrench into everything and makes it more difficult to figure out what they are going for.
Yep, BB really impacts the traffic patterns. Back in 1996, when BB was part of the course, it made sense to include it because BB had just opened. Now, I'm not so sure. I might like it, but then again, I might be grumbling at mile 18 of the race when I'm struggling and have to run all the twists and turns around BB. Actually, on second thought, anything is better than WWoS -- it definitely was not my favorite area during the race.

Here's a detailed view of my map for the BB section. We can't block Buena Vista Drive on both sides of OP-- and we can't block all lanes of eastbound OP. So, unless we avoid DAK entirely (which would be shocking), we most likely will be running on the westbound side of OP and exiting the tollbooths (which are at mile marker 18 on my map). And, you may notice a definite pain point in my map: we exit DAK by take the wide trip around the parking lot perimeter. I always disliked this part of the nighttime W&D race.

Yep, BB really impacts the traffic patterns. Back in 1996, when BB was part of the course, it made sense to include it because BB had just opened. Now, I'm not so sure. I might like it, but then again, I might be grumbling at mile 18 of the race when I'm struggling and have to run all the twists and turns around BB. Actually, on second thought, anything is better than WWoS -- it definitely was not my favorite area during the race.

Here's a detailed view of my map for the BB section. We can't block Buena Vista Drive on both sides of OP-- and we can't block all lanes of eastbound OP. So, unless we avoid DAK entirely (which would be shocking), we most likely will be running on the westbound side of OP and exiting the tollbooths (which are at mile marker 18 on my map). And, you may notice a definite pain point in my map: we exit DAK by take the wide trip around the parking lot perimeter. I always disliked this part of the nighttime W&D race.

View attachment 452863
So would All Star Resorts and McDonald’s people have to go East and do a couple clover leafs at World Drive to head west back to AK?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!