Marathon Weekend 2020

I thought $200 was a lot but then I just paid over $300 to run the NYC marathon. Given the amount of support on the course (water stations, aid tents, etc.) I don't think the registration is all that bad.
Completely understand. My boyfriend paid $750 for an ironman that was held in Haines City, FL last Nov. I guess it's cause I've seen the price creep over the years since I first ran it in 2009. It is one reason I do not run disney races anymore. That and overcrowding of courses. I definitely think it's a great race and I still recommend it to people that have never run one. It is the most organized race I've ever seen. Congrats on getting into NY!

Last edited:
I want to share a quick story with you all:

I’m a newspaper reporter and today I heard from a source for the first time in a while. He’s a cop, little bit older than me and someone who appears to take good care of himself.

This police officer told me he saw my posts from the Dopey challenge earlier this year and was legitimately inspired. Now he’s thinking running his own marathon and wants to talk to me about distance running.

This is not meant to be a humble brag. Rather, I want every single person on this board to know that people see your success. They see your dedication. They see the amazing things you’re doing. And they’re inspired by you. Whether you see it or not.

It’s easy to get caught up in seeing where we fall short. I’ve never done an ultra or an Ironman. I’ll never be as fast as some of you. But it meant so much to hear someone saw what I’ve done and it inspired them. I guarantee you’ve all inspired people in your lives, too.

Keep up the good work, gang. And keep inspiring people.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I guess I have all kinds of highs and downs and emotions when I run. Sometimes I connect with nature, sometimes with the crowd and sometimes not. In term of getting emotional, yes, the nerves at the beginning, the tiredness at the end and even sometimes a very melodramatic self told story can make the knot in my throat. The best way is what I read in one of the post above... All of this makes me feel ALIVE.

I’m a newspaper reporter and today I heard from a source for the first time in a while. He’s a cop, little bit older than me and someone who appears to take good care of himself.

This police officer told me he saw my posts from the Dopey challenge earlier this year and was legitimately inspired. Now he’s thinking running his own marathon and wants to talk to me about distance running.

This is not meant to be a humble brag. Rather, I want every single person on this board to know that people see your success. They see your dedication. They see the amazing things you’re doing. And they’re inspired by you. Whether you see it or not.

It’s easy to get caught up in seeing where we fall short. I’ve never done an ultra or an Ironman. I’ll never be as fast as some of you. But it meant so much to hear someone saw what I’ve done and it inspired them. I guarantee you’ve all inspired people in your lives, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Registered for the Half!

I’ve had a hiatus from runDisney and running for awhile but am really looking forward to this one. I’m happy that I settled on the half and not the full this time. If training goes really well, maybe I’ll switch to Goofy. But for the moment, the half is just perfect for me.

I started running again and it was like I never had a hiatus. Muscles seemed to know what to do and didn’t complain too much. :-)

Tangentially related story, but since I’ve totes obvi creeped ya on strava, my great uncle was a journalist who graduated from Iowa and was captain of their track team.

Good afternoon, runDisney all-stars!

Welcome to a very special, limited edition SATURDAYS are for Disney! I'm getting up at 5:30 tomorrow to run a marathon, then watching Endgame so I won't have much time to post her. So, you're getting some SAFD action a day early!

For this week's SAFD, let's do show and tell! Show us some of your favorite Disney photos. Race photos, ride photos, family photos, photos you've taken, photos someone else took, whatever. Whatever photo(s) you include, please include a little info about the story, including why you enjoy it. Share as many photos as you want!

I'll start with this one:

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415285300314 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

The shirt should be a dead giveaway for a lot of you, but this was taken after the 2019 half marathon and the night before the full. Hitting up Magic Kingdom after fireworks had been one of my favorite activities, but my two oldest girls weren't old enough to join in until this year. So, even though I had the full in the morning, we stayed out until 10:30-11, hitting up rides and just having fun. I made sure to get a photo to commemorate the occasion.

Can't wait to see your pics! Have a great week, everyone.

Last edited:
I love breakfast. I love buffets. This was Chip and Dale’s Forest Critter Breakfast(?) at the Grand Californian. This is the best I could do for pictures. That’s me on the right in jollier times. It’s the best I could do for a photo, it was a weird time in my life.

Still is.73F16D61-87CC-4E6F-B062-EB71ED708B9E.jpeg
If you want more of a story about this trip I’ll tell you when you are older.

Man, I look puffy.

SAFD: My first trip to Disney world was in 1992. I took the kids, 3 and 5 months, to meet up with some of my siblings and their kids. My DH is no Disney fan, so he stayed home. He said the trip would be lost on the kids, but my daughter had fun. This is one of my favorite pictures--the original is somewhere in a drawer full of photos. I made a button for this trip in 2007.IMG_20190427_184115_01.jpg

915A6755-012C-4F57-8204-868FBE2A8B48.jpeg 198BB5C9-3482-451A-9F12-37E0814AC956.jpeg

SAFD: The top picture is my family on Heimlich’s Choo Choo Train in California Adventure. When my girls were little it was their favorite ride. So with this ride going away we went on it while in Disneyland last summer as a walk down memory lane. The bottom picture is of my younger daughter and I right before the WDW 5k in 2018. That will be the last race I ever have to slow up for her - she ran a 6:14 mile the day before yesterday at school, she’s 11!

@lhermiston good luck at your marathon!

I will begin with flashback photo of me at Disneyland (holding my dad’s hand).

upload_2019-4-27_17-24-3.jpeg

Returning to runDisney, here is a photo I took during the inaugural Disneyland Paris half marathon in 2016.

upload_2019-4-27_17-28-11.jpeg

Finally, getting back to the topic of this particular thread... Here is a photo of me finishing my first marathon last January!

upload_2019-4-27_17-29-34.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter