Is it "normal" to be really feeling the stress of marathon training about this far into the plan
I am feeling the wear and tear on my body, tired, hungry (SO hungry) and questioning how "peak week" the week before Christmas is fair... Still enjoying training, but let's say I'm understanding the term "cumulative fatigue" very well. I keep telling myself that I just need to get through next week, ending with the 20 miler, then I can relax a bit (and still run obviously!).

Is it "normal" to be really feeling the stress of marathon training about this far into the plan
I am feeling the wear and tear on my body, tired, hungry (SO hungry) and questioning how "peak week" the week before Christmas is fair... Still enjoying training, but let's say I'm understanding the term "cumulative fatigue" very well. I keep telling myself that I just need to get through next week, ending with the 20 miler, then I can relax a bit (and still run obviously!).

I’ve actually been feeling a bit of the same. I’ve been lap swimming sometimes during the week instead of some of the shorter runs just to take some of the wear and tear of my body. I feel like I’ve been doing great with it so far.

But the hunger. Holy cow. I could eat anything that’s not nailed down. I’m sticking to a healthy diet, but I am eating a TON of food. I think I’ve been burning most of it off anyway, so I’m not too upset. Anxiously looking forward to race weekend.

Can’t say if it normal or not because this is my first full but I definitely feel the same way. Feeling really overwhelmed with life right now between the kids, running, and the holidays so I’m trying to just take it one day at a time and remembering that I’ve been putting in the work as much as possible.

I am feeling the same way. I feel like I’ll get rid of one annoying ache then the next one pops up. Right now it’s my hip, possibly my glute. This week has been a down week before next week’s peak, and I feel like the aches and pains, exhaustion and hunger all hit this week while I wasn’t running as much. I’m also wondering if just general holiday stress is playing into it as well? I’ve had some event every single night this week and I was definitely dragging on my run this morning.

Totally the same and I've done it before. The beginning of this week I was just plain fatigued, yesterday & today have been better, it helps it's a little warmer out too. Always hungry, yep, So, yes, sounds like you are on target!

I too am feeling much of the same. My cranky knee has been cranky, nothing I would consider an "injury", but my body continues to require extra TLC. The hunger hit me last week. So hungry! I ran my first of two 20 milers last Sunday and will run my last on the 23rd. While I am really looking forward to tapering, I'm a bit concerned about all of the random aches and pains that could pop up.

Overall, training has gone well and I know I have done the work. But, it sure is an interesting ride!

Well whatever it is I am feeling it caused me to cave and change my Sunday FP selections.
Now I've got Spaceship Earth 2:30pm. Followed by Living with the Land and Frozen Ever After right before dinner in Japan. Has a much better "flow" to it.
I think I need to stop now :)

Since the last few post have confirmed that you are not the only one I wanted to share a bit about what you mentioned at the end - the taper!

It sounds like this is the first marathon for a few, so expect a big swing. You should be feeling the stress of marathon training at this point. Pushing through the fatigue is part of the experience. Remember that on Marathon day, especially in those final miles, remember that you have done plenty of runs while feeling tired a few weeks ago. Also remember that the taper is for recovery. Expect over the next few weeks you will go from feeling tired, to having too much energy. Keep to your plan and don’t overdo training.

Last edited:
Well whatever it is I am feeling it caused me to cave and change my Sunday FP selections.
Now I've got Spaceship Earth 2:30pm. Followed by Living with the Land and Frozen Ever After right before dinner in Japan. Has a much better "flow" to it.
I think I need to stop now :)
I changed my FPs a bit the other day as well.

In my experience, this is totally normal. This will be marathon #4 for me and I’ve gone through that same drag every time - the miles are piling up and the race is still a month away. Not to get all new age-y on you, but now is a good time to remind yourself why you are doing this and what motivates you. That will serve you well during training and probably about the time you hit WWOS on race day.

Two more tips from a book I read before my first marathon - 1. Pep yourself up a bit during your long runs. Tell yourself that you are a marathoner. 2. Picture yourself running the race (passing thru the castle, under spaceship earth, crossing the finish line).

I’ll be the first to admit it sounds goofy (no pun intended), but it has helped me. I feel better during my runs after I psych myself up a bit.

Are you layering on your legs? When it dips toward freezing, I wear compression socks that go up to my knees, and compression shorts that come down to my knees, under a set of tights. That gives me two layers and the effect of compression to help with blood flow. If there is wind, or as it dips toward the teens, I add a fitted (not loose) shell running pant over that previous combination. At those 3 layers (compression, tights, pants), I've been good to 0 degrees. Admittedly, it's a bit of hassle getting dressed to head out the door, but I really hate treadmills

oooh, i didnt even consider compression socks with the fleece tights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter