Marathon Weekend 2018

I'll be staying at the boardwalk again for sure. We stayed at Saratoga Springs this time (slightly cheaper rental points), but I didn't like it anywhere near as much. The Boardwalk has been my favorite resort due to its' location. Can't beat walking to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Plus Jellyrolls is a ton of fun.

Looking forward to running in our first Disney event. DH, DS and I are all registered for the 5k. So glad we found out from our travel agent about the deal where we get to register early with a vacation package booking! Booked so early that we have to go back at end of Feb. to book plane tickets. LOL More time to get psyched for a return to the land of the Mouse! Can anyone tell me A) How do we get from our resort (CBR) to the Sports Complex for Bib pickup? B) What do the shirts look like?

Last edited:
All you guys talking about deluxes. I'll probably be at a value this time since it will most likely be a solo trip for me.
Don't worry, we do value, you can slum with us, hahaha!. We've been very happy the last 2 trips with All-Star Sports, not dirty at all & buses have been great! We are hardly in the room anyway. We prefer POP but it's just worked out better savings to do Sports lately. I figure it's money saved for more RunDisney races & merch!

Looking forward to running in our first Disney event. DH, DS and I are all registered for the 5k. So glad we found out from our travel agent about the deal where we get to register early with a vacation package booking! Booked so early that we have to go back at end of Feb. to book plane tickets. LOL More time to get psyched for a return to the land of the Mouse! Can anyone tell me A) How do we get from our resort (CBR) to the Sports Complex for Bib pickup? B) What do the shirts look like?

There will be will a bus that will take you from CBR to the expo. You can also drive there if you have a car or taxi/uber.

It also has easy access to Trader Sam's

Poly also has dole whips... Keels loves dole whips (and so does my Mom!) She so pumped about the 5k and 10K. She went to the gym everyday last week to start her training. I'm hoping for some warm weather for poly pool time!

All you guys talking about deluxes. I'll probably be at a value this time since it will most likely be a solo trip for me.

I'm hoping we can afford to stay at AKL but if not we'll go back to All Star Movies. Stayed there for marathon weekend 2018 and it was a breeze! Like others have said more money for merchandise!

Anyone stayed at AKL for any race weekends? Wouldn't mind your opinion if you have!

DH and I spent some time last night trying to decide where we might want to stay. Thinking the time less park time and more time spent relaxing at the resort. We like beach Club a lot but want to try something else next time. I'm thinking Poly but hubby thinking Grand Floridian.

My friends and I are definitely going deluxe. There will be 4 of us and we figure we have all year to save up. For the 2016 marathon weekend we stayed at the Beach Club and loved it, but I've always wanted to try the Poly...and I've never had a dole whip...:upsidedow

DH and I spent some time last night trying to decide where we might want to stay. Thinking the time less park time and more time spent relaxing at the resort. We like beach Club a lot but want to try something else next time. I'm thinking Poly but hubby thinking Grand Floridian.
That's a nice upgrade either way!

Can you tell me more about booking with a TA early to secure your spot? I can't find it on the RD site.

Well it is Sunday and Sunday's are for Disney (and football right now Go Pack Go!). Thanks to @lhermiston and @FFigawi for the nomination for this new job.

Today's Disney Question for everyone:

How many times have you been to Walt Disney World and when was your first trip?

My answer, I have been 9 times. My first trip I was 8 months old (1999) and don't remember anything of course.

Last edited:
I have no idea how many times we have been - dozens, to be sure. I cannot remember a time when I wasn't going, so no idea when it began. Maybe that is why WDW is so special to me - nostalgia. The memories associated are countless, and touching.

Poly also has dole whips... Keels loves dole whips (and so does my Mom!) She so pumped about the 5k and 10K. She went to the gym everyday last week to start her training. I'm hoping for some warm weather for poly pool time!

Mr. Keels has spoken ... and it's probably going to be Beach Club again because 1) lets be honest - he's paying for it and 2) he wants to be close to ESPN and the brewery for beers and football on Saturday and Sunday.

Well it is Sunday and Sunday's are for Disney (and football right now Go Pack Go!). Thanks to @lhermiston and @FFigawi for the nomination for this new job.

My answer, I have been 9 times. My first trip I was 8 months old (1999) and don't remember anything of course.

Without sounding glib or humble-braggy, I would definitely say it's easily in the thousands - if we're counting days and not "trips" since I lived here for so long.

I started working at Magic Kingdom as a seasonal child performer for parades and stage shows at 12 (1993 - yikes, I'm old), and then worked part-time/full-time (38 hours a week) in Magic Kingdom entertainment from 1996-2001. And I still come back multiple times a year (in some cases for weeks at a time), since I moved to Texas in 2002.

My first trip was 1989 when we moved to Orlando. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was my "favorite" ride, mostly because it scared the crap out of my younger brother and I liked torturing him.

Without sounding glib or humble-braggy, I would definitely say it's easily in the thousands - if we're counting days and not "trips" since I lived here for so long.

I started working at Magic Kingdom as a seasonal child performer for parades and stage shows at 12 (1993 - yikes, I'm old), and then worked part-time/full-time (38 hours a week) in Magic Kingdom entertainment from 1996-2001. And I still come back multiple times a year (in some cases for weeks at a time), since I moved to Texas in 2002.

My first trip was 1989 when we moved to Orlando. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was my "favorite" ride, mostly because it scared the crap out of my younger brother and I liked torturing him.
That's really funny.

What did you all do in MK entertainment?

Go Pack Go for sure!! Ready to watch the game over here - hoping for a good one regardless of the outcome. :)

To answer your question, I've lost count of my exact number of trips to Disney World, but it's a lot (it's got to be in the 20s). It was easy back when we first started going, because we went every other year, but as I've gotten older, we've started going more often (the opposite of what we expected when my sisters and I were kids!). My first trip was in 1991 when I was 3, going on 4. I do know my exact number of Disneyland trips, though - that's easy (it would be 1, haha - hoping to go back sometime soon!)

Oh, please. I graduated from college in 1992. I must have one foot in the grave on the @Keels scale of old! :crutches:

As for the question of the day, my first trip was in 1993 for my first honeymoon. Hey, maybe I saw @Keels perform! Since that trip, I've probably been about 2 dozen times, give or take a few.

Well it depends on how I count. I went 3 times as a kid with my family (baby, toddler, 16). I hadn't gone back for a long time, and then I got married. My wife is a massive Disney fan and we've been 12 times since. We don't even live in Florida but we still utilize the annual pass. So my first trip was 1989 I think, but I sort of count my first trip on this current run as 2008.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter