Marathon Weekend 2017!

Why have I never thought of these rides as an option? Do you just go off course and ride? I'm intrigued and feel like I may need to accept this challenge.

A guy in one of my Dopey groups on FB stared from corral A, finished in over 8 hours and just minutes before the balloon ladies. He rode something crazy like eight or 10 rides in that time period.

And he still got his Dopey (and Goofy) medals, for those that are curious. Don't get swept and you complete the challenge.

A guy in one of my Dopey groups on FB stared from corral A, finished in over 8 hours and just minutes before the balloon ladies. He rode something crazy like eight or 10 rides in that time period.

And he still got his Dopey (and Goofy) medals, for those that are curious. Don't get swept and you complete the challenge.

With the new rolling fastpass system...I may be able to make this happen.

Not clear if they will even look at your POT if you select over 2:45. They may just randomly assign corrals for all >2:45 runners. But they still may take it into account, so I think you are right to submit your POT anyway.
I agree. Also, my thought is that if I submit a PoT showing that I'm capable of a sub-2:45 and I'm placed in the very last corral, I'll have something (I ALWAYS take a screen shot!) to bring to Runner Relations to request a more suitable corral. If I don't submit anything, I'm 100% at their mercy.

I like the idea of riding 8 to 10 rides, but spending eight+ hours on course to do it does not sound like it would be fun.

He filmed the whole thing and did an edited video he posted and it looks like he had a blast. So IDK?

I spent over 7 hours out there for my first marathon without riding any rides and still had a good time (relatively, there may be some rose-tinted glasses in my recollection), so maybe I'll revise my thinking.

Not clear if they will even look at your POT if you select over 2:45. They may just randomly assign corrals for all >2:45 runners. But they still may take it into account, so I think you are right to submit your POT anyway.

I was thinking they will still slot people based on the time you choose, but not necessarily verify it. Which means, I could just put anything. Sounds messier not better to me for, well, me. Ha.

Would you have a link to the video, or be able to share his name? I'd love to see that!

I don't think you can see the video if you aren't in the group, but search out Dopey Challenge on Facebook and you'll see numerous posts about it (he also just ran Boston and followed it up with Big Sur).

He rode two rides during the half (Test Track and Mission: Space) and then this is a tiny recap of his marathon - which he finished in 7:56 and only 20 spots ahead of the final finisher:

"My Garmin data for the Disney World Marathon on Sunday. You can see my Garmin acted all confused when I did Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl and Triceratop Spin in Animal Kingdom. And then when I did Star Tours, Rock'n'Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios.

I was constantly stopping. The first few minutes of the race, I stopped for a couple minutes to rip off the KT tape on my leg that was aggravating me. And I filmed the fireworks for the release of Corral C. My pace in between stops was probably 10 to 13 minutes a mile.

My watch battery died while I was waiting in in the single-rider line at Test Track. I finished about 20 minutes later around 7:56, six minutes ahead of the Balloon Ladies."

Marathon Weekend Goals

So, let's hear them! What's your goal?

My goal is just to finish my first marathon!! This year, I'm working my distance up with each rD race (princess 5k, star wars 10k, w&d half, wdw marathon).
Haven't been much of a runner, started with the Princess 5k last year that I just did because it sounded like fun! But then in Jan I watched the Marathon run through DHS & was super inspired and motivated. That day, I said "I will be in this race next year"..so here I am, registered & getting ready!

I like the idea of riding 8 to 10 rides, but spending eight+ hours on course to do it does not sound like it would be fun.

He got his moneys worth though!!Hold on, so if you're Dopey or Goofy and finish the races in over the alloted time,3:30 for half and 7 for the full you still get the challenge medal?

He got his moneys worth though!!Hold on, so if you're Dopey or Goofy and finish the races in over the alloted time,3:30 for half and 7 for the full you still get the challenge medal?

Those cutoff times don't start until the last person crosses the start line, so if you are in an earlier corral, you have more time before being swept.

Those cutoff times don't start until the last person crosses the start line, so if you are in an earlier corral, you have more time before being swept.
I get that,but you're still finishing over those times,I always thought even if you didn't get swept you didn't get the challenge medal since your time was over the 16mm pace.

I get that,but you're still finishing over those times,I always thought even if you didn't get swept you didn't get the challenge medal since your time was over the 16mm pace.

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure if you cross the finish line without being swept, then it counts. For example, on the Star Wars Dark Side half marathon, there were over 3,100 runners who had finishing times greater than 3:30:00, but they are still listed in the finisher results.

I did the Glass Slipper Challenge this year and stopped for A LOT of pictures - pretty much every character except for the princesses. I ended up finishing the half in 4 hours (my normal time is around 2:30) and still got the half and the challenge medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter