marathon training thread for 10/10-10/17

Karen, I'll check with DH about that cruise and let ya know soon.

The ONLY reason I went out today after work is because of you guys! I brought my stuff and went to change and the folks where I work thought I was crazy.
:crazy: Well, maybe I am! I am so glad I went. It wasn't as cold as everyone thought and I actually worked up a nice drippy glow. :eek: I managed to keep moving for 1 hour and 40 minutes and my feet only started to let me know they were done at the very end. I think I am making great progress!

As you know, I am not working with anyone as all my friends think I should be committed for walking. I still haven't told them about January. I have just told my folks here at home. DH and brother were the only ones to know at first. Now Mom and 2 DSs have heard. (They may think I am crazy, but they don't dare to say. :p )

Thank you everyone for being here.

...going off to be further inspired. I have Bingham's Marathon for Mortals and have just started to read it.

Hi all! I've been doing pretty wll this week. I've done some shorter walks and made pretty good food choices. DH and I had a date last night. We went to see The Forgotten (freaky movie!) and went to Red Robin for dinner. I must confess that I did have a few of the fries. So yummy.

I'm planning on mall walking on rainy days, but I should walk outside a couple of times in mild rain just in case we have bad weather on marathon day. I'm going to ask today about what time the mall opens in the morning for walkers.

I posted this in last weeks thread, but I also have an extra wishes cruise available. Mine is for friday night, also leaving from the GF. I think all spots are available.

Karen, can there be more than 2 children on a cruise? Are there any children in your group?

There's also a post on the theme parks/illuminations thread that is asking fo people to fill a January 7th Illuminations Cruise. They have six openings. It's under January Illuminations Cruise's.

Tw1nsmom-

for our Illuminations cruise, our boat is full- it has 10 adults and 2 kids on it. But, if you're referring to the WISHES cruise, yes, it can have more then 2 kids- I'm just saying that if there are only adults on one of these cruises it will only fit 10 adults. However, the cruise does seat 12 people, if at least 2 of them are kids.

So happy to report the rain has held off -still:rolleyes: it was according to the weather report due to pour & storm all day. I got out and walked with 2 friends - 3 miles:bounce: I'll plan for a really long one sunday, tomorrow is full with a wedding & baby shower:)

I want to try the gels & will also head to Walmart for the other bars - which aisle are they located Karen?

My family may be interested in a wishes cruise. I'm not sure that entails or the difference from illuminations, but I'll check them out. Who has openings?????

We are flying in Thursday & staying at CBR- does anyone want to meet on Friday at the pool?

Ugh. I am so frustrated with myself! I went to walk today - BEautiful day here - but could only do 1 mile because I started having an asthma attack! ARGH! I guess I need to start doing an albuterol hit 10 minutes before heading out. It's confusing getting used to a different 'climate'.

Here's hoping I can get 2-3 miles in on the treadmill after getting the kids from school. Today is supposed to be a 3 mile day according to my training plan.

Well, no walking or exercise today. Busy day. My mom drove down and we went to dinner. Reallly nice. Girls are getting to bed early so they are rested tomorrow for their game. They will ride on a bus for 4+ hours , then play a full soccer game in 35 degree weather. They will then ride back on the bus 4 + hours. They should get home around 2:00 am. Hope they are celebrating a win. My DH and I are driving down and going to dinner with DS and girlfriend. Then we are going to the big game. Our friends from 40 miles south of there are coming to the game too. We will go back to their house for the night. I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I hope to run tomorrow morning before we leave. Need to get moving agian. Really not motivated right now. I know it will get better. Hope every one is working out consistantly. Have a great weekend.

PS - We did have a few snow flurries today. Winter is close.

good saturday morning friends :)

I did my long walk, distance-inspired by Susan, of 7.5 miles in 90 mins. let me tell you we were p-o-w-e-r-walking. my DN joined me and she is very fast paced. i was thrilled with our time as we do no jogging

I did manage to get a pilates DVD out yesterday and did it -- it was a crazy day here - DDs off school. tomorrow is my rest day

i'm even more glad to get that long one in before the rain came here as tonight I have a date with my DH and barry manilow :teeth:

Sorry, folks, that I've been MIA...

I would love to do one of the cruises, so let's put that up at the top. I am confused at my options, but the $12 one would be the one of choice, and preferably post marathon or Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of the week prior, if anything is offered then. Maybe Thursday of the week prior, but I am a solo that night and would maybe feel uncomfortable going with people who aren't solos? Does that make sense? I am always afraid that I will develop "Crabby girl in the back of the boat" syndrome. I do do well with kids, so a kid-friendly boat is fine that night, too. :) I'm a dork.

I didn't get to train much this week. I didn't go to bed until after one any night this week and was up by 6:15 every morning. I'm pooped! I had a grad school meeting on Thursday night that took up my training time that day. I know, excuses, excuses... But this is such a busy semester for me. I feel like this part of my life will never be over and sometimes I just want to cry! (I did on Tuesday...) Sorry... Just a little vent.

Your posts were all very inspirational, thank you! Sorry I didn't check in, though. I just was crazy all week!

Great job to everybody! I feel like I am in a book club... I love MTM so much, and now many of you are reading it, and talking about it!

I'm starting to take this Jellyrolls thing seriously. I really miss that place. Who wants to meet me there?

Hmm... What else? OH! I am thinking about creating a little gift... I have it in mind. A present for your mailbox. Do I have everybody's address on my roster? I don't think so! Please PM me your:
DISName
Name
Address
Email Address
Resort you will be staying at for Marathon Weekend
Dates of Travel
Favorite Color
Favorite Disney Character

I will send this out to all people on the roster then.

Also, are we still doing iron ons? Who is making this? I was just thinking of using the WISHCon 2005 icon that we have in our signatures and then putting our names at the top. Isn't there a way to print Iron Ons through the computer? Will tehy stick to the Dri-Fit material do you think?

Hmm.. All kinds of questions.

Now, back to homework.

Keep it up!
Ashley:wave2:

Good Saturday Evening Everyone!!

I'm up to 5 miles so far this week. I think that's pretty good because my foot is still giving me some trouble.

So, if my math is right 12 - 5 is "7":earseek: :earseek:

I guess I'm going for a very, very long walk tomorrow. I've been taping my foot with horse tape and it seems to be helping a lot. When I went for my mile and a half yesterday it only bothered me once or twice. I did go to the store today and bought 6 rolls of the horse tape. I'm going to tape it whether it hurts or not because it gives me great traction in my shoes and stops my feet from slipping.

Yesterday, my DS age 9 went to a regional track and field meet. The route he did was 2km or 1.2 miles. He finished 21st in a field of 120 kids, but he was first from his school.:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

He might have done better if he didn't get squeezed in behind a bunch of kids at the start. Imagine 120 kids spread out over 200 feet and then all running towards a 6 foot path. He made up a lot of places while running through the woods and during the last 1/2km straightaway to the finish line. We carbo loaded and rested and all the right stuff. It was very exciting for me because this was his first race. Gives me a lot of inspiration. My food choices have been less than stellar this week but after three months of cheat free days my body was just hungry. Tomorrow we shall begin a new month of cheat free days. Actually, just this month because on November 5th I'm headed "home" and I cannot wait. If any of you live along I-75 I shall be sure to wave as I pass by.:wave2:

I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow. I will stop if the feet hurt too much because I don't want to injure it again.

Hi AShley! I missed you while you were ever so busy- but I'm gald you came back to check in! About the cruises- the Illuminations cruised is fillled for now, but the Wishes crusie is still open. It's for Monday night- the 10th. The cost will be around $14.00/pp. The toatl cost of the boat is 120.00 plus tax. So we'll divide it by how mnay people are on the boat. We should probably add a couple more dollars as to cover the tip to the driver. This particualr boat will pick us up at GF. I'll give detailed info as to time and cost when I get the info. Cost, again, is dependent on how many people want to go.

Susan- GOOD FOR YOU for getting out there and doing so much walking! I'm very proud of you. And CONGRATS to your DS! Isn;t it just so exciting to see your kids do so well?

Mom- you WERE power walking! That is a GREAT time and distance!! We're you just pooped out at the end?

geety- don;t get too frustrated! You can only do what your body will alllow you to do! Could you have kept going if you had your puffer with you? Sometimes I remember mine.... and sometimes I forget it. BUT that is one thign I have on my list of fanny pack items to be sure I don;'t forget!

Meme- the Snickers Marathon bars were over in the first row in front of Health anmd Beauty Items- where they have thigns like SLim Fast bars , and energy bars. They were towards the bottom on the left of all the bars .

Well- I did my 3 miles yesterday and felt ok when I did them, but last night my hip was out! I think it was because last Sunday we walked down a very long, very steep hill, and then yesterday I was up and down on a ladder putting curtains up in the LR and DR. The curtains look great, but the hip was bad! This morning It feels better, so I'm hoping I can get my 7 miler in! I'll report back and let you all know how I do!

Have a good training day everyone!

Hi everyone!!

It sounds like everyone is doing wonderfully! WTG!! KEEP IT UP!

I've been sooooo bad w/ my training....I've been scared to actually start back up b/c of my knee....it's doing better, but am scared that I'll do something else to hurt it again.

I did find the 12 week program that Septbride posted, so will attempt 2 miles tomorrow, and see how that goes.

Good news (I think) regarding my house....got 2 offers on the place (1 after only 5 days on the market). Just waiting for the final signatures from the buyers. They want to close on the 29th of October, but I was able to "rent back" my place until the end of November. I'd like to be moved to Orlando (leaning towards Davenport) before Thanksgiving, but atleast this gives me a bit of a breather. I didn't find a house while I was there earlier this week, but will probably be back in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Will keep everyone informed.

Have a great Sunday, and I will post and let you know tomorrow if I got off my butt!

Everyone is doing great!

Karen, you gave a great catch up there.

I took off yesterday. Today DH asked me to go to the gym with him. I really enjoyed that.

Keep up the good work. Be careful not to overdo things, no more injuries.

Hey Monica! Congrats on the offers! Selling a house is soooo stressful. Good luck finding the house of your dreams quickly and painlessly. ::yes::

Wow - everyone is doing SO great in their training! I continue to inspired by all of you. :jumping4: :jumping4: :jumping4: I strive to be able to keep up with all of you! :teeth:

I did my walking today - 30 minutes on the treadmill, plus warmup and cooldown, per the plan. I was a little disappointed in my effort and ability to maintain pace...... until I finished and started my stretches. My typical tingling started and I realized... I didn't have any numbness or tingling while I was walking!! WOO HOOO!! THAT'S progress, for sure! :jumping1:

Karen, GREAT idea about carrying my inhaler. I never even thought to do that! My nurse suggested taking 2 puffs 10 minutes before starting. I shall definitely bring one in my fanny pack.

Speaking of fanny packs... what is everyone planning on carrying? my small list includes a camera, inhaler, energy source (gels or bars)

Today I get my injection, so tomorrow is a day of rest. See everyone Tuesday! :wave:

geetey- I have all those things on my list, but have added- gummy bears, tissues (my nose has been running when I walk for some reason), and my blister packs- JUST IN CASE!

I'm hoping for Christmas that Santa will bring me one of those little teenie DVD camcorders, that also takes pics! i wanna get this in live action! Interviews may be requested!!!

:wave2: Hi Everyone! I got off my duff this afternoon and did 5 miles in the WIND including warm-up and cool-down. It was a 17 minute mile, but with the WIND, I figure that was darn good. Did I mention the WIND?

My first thought is fanny pack with gels, water (I know, I know, but I need it when I need it-not just when they give it ;) ) tissues, I heard a disposable camera would be the camera of choice, sunglasses, and maybe extra moleskin(?).

Good news on the house, Monica! That is SO exciting. Mary Liz moves this week, and I am certain that adrenalin is a-flowin'.

Terry, you can do this! Inhaler before you begin, and then on hand in case you need it later.... when we're running from the S-Truck. :crazy:

Lily, you are crosstraining....and with DH. That's super!

Karen, what I'd like Santa to bring me is travel from the airport to WL. lol

Susan, congrats on Simon's race. He'll be doing the half by the time he is 14.

Ashley :grouphug: life can be stressful, hun. Know that we're here for you!

Mollie....how did you and Barry get along? ;)

Beckie....you said the F Word! :earseek:

MaryEllen, you are keeping up, despite a busy weekend. I tend to slide when I can. :rolleyes:

Dawn, I think that you are right. We should probably make sure that we do some walking in the rain...just in case. MY fingers are crossed that it is warm and sunny-once the sun comes up- that day.

I'm reading Marathoning for Mortals, too. It is an easy read with some good advice. I wish that I had had it earlier on. My favourite quote so far: Rest days are rest days. Can you tell that I am not a NATURAL born athletic type of person? LOL

Have a good week, everyone. Now that I've posted, I'm betting that this is over. I always seem to be the last one in!

LOL, Debbie!! Like I could let you be the last poster after a challenge like that.

I had to go back and check Beckie's post for the *f* word. Yep - I found it. F*L*U*R*R*I*E*S :eek: I hope the DIS doesn't remove it, because it is truly one of the nastiest words around. ;) :p
freezing.gif

Anyone have any tips for sore calves? My calves cramp up SO badly when I walk! OUCH!! I do lots of stretching, and warm up slowly. These things are killing me! I guess it might be time to get some new shoes. :confused:

****edited to add: I hit 1000 posts! :earseek: I am glad it was on the WISH boards on a marathon thread! :hyper:

YEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWW!!!!

I did it. Not all at once, but I did it. One mile on the treadmill, one mile with WATP and 5 miles out on the road in very WINDY conditions. It was a bit nippy as well. I think the temperature was about 38 degrees without the wind. So likely more like freezing with the windchill. I didn't really notice the cold because I had my hood up and my gloves on but when I did my cool down at the end, I really did cool down fast. It was freezing.

The good news is that my foot only hurts a little bit. Now to get back in the groove and get my time improved.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and we'll see you on the new thread tomorrow!!!

Well , my soccer season has come to a close. the girls lost on Sat. night(32 degrees and windy) 4-1. My older daughter made the only goal but the younger one was moved up to the Varsity because some of the players were kicked off for drinking. The younger one played about half of the game and almost scored a goal too. They were pretty disappointed but are happy to be done too. Today they layed around in sweats all day. Slept til 1:00.
Of course I didn;t get my run in Sat. before we left but I really need to get back on track because I have a 10K on Nov. 7th.

I want to sincerely apologize to all who were offended by the F word. I really meant The Fluffies. We do get those here. It was only that one day. It is all gone and not in the forcast for at least another week.

Susan - good for you 38 degrees 11 I feel your pain. I live 100 miles from the coldest spot in the nation (very often).

Geetey - I'll try not to use the F or the S word . I 'll need to get creative with my wording. I know it is hard to understand but, I really like winter!As for the cramping , I take a magnisiym and potasseum tablet and increase your dairy. I used to get them but don't anymore.

Hope everyone is better than I have been in the past week. I am going to get going this week. I feel so much better when I work out or run.

Have a great week!!

Awwww Beckie! I'm not offended by the F-word, I'm just dreading that season that threatens to hit us soon. So I'm in the state of Denial, I guess. :( I don't know, but as I get older, the less I enjoy the winter. It could be all the outdoor yard duty that I have to do. Brrr. I'm shivering just thinking about it! My kids love winter, too, and I'd say if you live in MN, you'd BETTER like it, right? Enjoy the peace of soccer being over. Hugs to your girls for a job well done! They deserve a break, now, and so do you.
Now, I AM the last on this thread! :tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter