Man loses leg on Dueling Dragons Ride!

grumbada

Imagineer Wannabe
I'm surprised no one has said anything yet...

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_809102.html

Man loses false leg on rollercoaster

Staff at Universal Studios theme park in Florida are hunting for a man's false leg after it flew off as he rode a rollercoaster.

Hawley Webb alerted workers after riding on one of the 55mph Dueling Dragons rides in the Lost Continent section of the Islands of Adventure park, Orlando.

A spokesman for Universal Studios says Mr Webb's prosthetic leg may have fallen into a pond under the ride, which has a height of 125 feet.

The theme park has sent divers into the pond, but the leg has not been found.

Universal Studios says it will replace the leg if divers can't find it, reports local 6.

Story filed: 13:21 Thursday 14th August 2003

You know I am not trying to laugh at this, but this is actually humorous. I mean this is one of those things you don't hear about to often. You would expect Mad TV would do a skit on this. I don't have any worries for this man because either way Universal is going to make good on it. It is so sad to even hear about a person who lost there leg. I hate it how people are in pain and have to live their life like that. Well just goes to show you that inverted roller coasters are not cut out for everybody. He should have stuck with the hulk, he could keep his leg in the vehicle and it is an overall better ride.

I first found out about this when I was home at lunchtime...

Picture this...

There I am talking to my husband, tv is on with sound off / captioning on... I look over to the tv, see a man on crutches, with no leg... A quick shot to an amusement park ride... (My attention is now captured)...And suddenly the words scroll across the screen... "Lost while on a ride at Universal Studios..."

"WHAAAAT?!?" I shout, grabbing the remote - fumbling for the mute button...

Luckily, the man seemed in pretty good spirits about the whole thing. I wonder how quickly Universal will handle this?

Oh man that would scare the **** out of me. It would look like to me that one of the "near misses" actually didn't miss lol. It is like the computer had some technical difficulties.

I am sad for this guest, but I think it's great of Universal to do this for him as IMO they were not at fault for him losing it.

Good job Universal!!!

I agree with SpideyHulk. Universal shouldn't have to replace this guy's false leg because he should have known it was risky to ride a rollercoaster where your legs dangle. He should have used common sense and skipped the ride.

But yes, it was nice Universal did that for him anyway.

At least no attendants merely sent him to go check Lost & Found!
(woulda took up a lot of room amongst the sunglasses anyway)

Originally posted by h20jag
At least no attendants merely sent him to go check Lost & Found!

LOL...that actually would have been funny if they did that as a joke!! As long as it didn't offend the guy, of course.

I wonder how many false teeth, sunglasses, necklaces, hats, fanny packs, etc., they get out of that pond every year?

Well you know the gift shop. You see all of those shirts, glasses, fanny packs, etc. They are put on the shelf after they have fished them out of the water. LOL I am just kidding. That wouldn't suprise me if that was true.

what if that had happened on HULK???
Imagine looking up at that net over the bridge to Marvel Island and seeing sunglasses, camera bags, hats, and an ARM AND A LEG???
Is it HHN Time Yet???
What themeing!

Many coasters have it posted to make sure you have securely fastened any prosthetics.

Originally posted by dogg2727
Well just goes to show you that inverted roller coasters are not cut out for everybody. He should have stuck with the hulk, he could keep his leg in the vehicle and it is an overall better ride.

Why should he have to skip Dueling Dragons just because he's missing a leg. This is completely opposite to your stance in the other thread, concerning obesity. Based on what you said, coasters should be designed to suit and be comfortable for everybody. By your standards, in which every seat should be made to accommodate everyone, all the seats on Dueling Dragons should have special compartments made specifically to hold detachable appendages.

-Kevin

Um I think that this is way over an exception. First if he had to he could remove it for the ride. Secondly, he knew he was going on an inverted coaster, a lot different from what I am talking about. He is going on a coaster where your feet don't touch anything and he is wearing a fake leg. He should have doen something on that one. They could accomodate him, so you still need a better example.

Here's one for you: can you imagine if someone with a prosthetic leg went on Doctor Doom and they kicked their legs outward at the top, and OOPS, it goes flying off? Can you imagine the horror if a kid is standing in Doom Alley when all of a sudden it lands near them? That'd be kinda scary.

Originally posted by dogg2727
Um I think that this is way over an exception. First if he had to he could remove it for the ride. Secondly, he knew he was going on an inverted coaster, a lot different from what I am talking about. He is going on a coaster where your feet don't touch anything and he is wearing a fake leg. He should have doen something on that one. They could accomodate him, so you still need a better example.

Oh, I agree with you. He could have taken his leg off they could have held it at the platform. That's enough of an accomodation. I was just trying to be funny by saying that all the seats on DD should have a special compartment.

But you did imply that because of the type of attraction, he should know better then to try to ride it, and that he should've skipped it and done an atraction more suitable to his condition. This is quit opposite to what you said about HULK, where you feel that everybody should be able to ride.

-Kevin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter