make a list of things to do,buy, get ready

daddyof2

Mouseketeer
hi all
could you all help me get a kist of things i should start getting together,buy setup or the like

this is my first trip to DW we (DW, DD5, DS3) will be going on Dec. 4th to 10th :banana:

example of stuff

1 comfortable shoes
2 travel games for kids
3 extra luggage (for kids)
4 extra bag (souveniers)
5 space saver bags?? (do they work is it worth it ??

i cant get too many ideas

(their should be a disney packing list) (is their? :confused3 )

thanks in advance for all the great replys
YOU ALL RULE !!!!

i think its too early to start thinking about that....if i thought about it that early and then snap out of my day dream and back into reality realizing there are many months ahead to go...id become depressed lol
i havent even thought of my list and im leaving in 14 days! April 10 - April 18

It's never too early to start planning. I will pack snacks like beef jerky, fruit rollups. water bottles with crystal light portable packs made just to fill into a water bottle. Things like that. I plan to bring a back pack and stash a few snacks each day incase we need a fill in.

i guess what i mean is stuff i need to buy so i can budget like 1 thing a month so i dont have to go to walmart and spend $325.00 the day before because i forgot to get it early or so i could bargain hun for the stuff

In December the weather is funny in that during the day you can wear shorts and be confortable but at night you will definately need heavy sweatshirts or even coats!!! We wore gloves a couple times!! It is a great time to go to WDW (is there really a bad time??) Also remember to take extra pairs of socks. For some reason my feet were always cold and the extra socks came in handy!!! Have a great trip and enjoy the decorations!!!! :bounce:

most seem to forget. Digital camera memory cards, buy a couple of extra, you can catch them on sale and not need to download your camera to make room for more pics. Snap away and take millions of pics and delete what you don't want when you arrive home.

I wouldn't buy the space saver bags. We found them to be a waste of money. Just buy the XL and XXL Ziploc bags... those work great and hold just as much.

Also - when you get a chance - and some extra cash - visit your dollar store - pick up the cheap ponchos and other little things you might want to take - I picked up chewing gum (none for sale at WDW) Sunglasses and the sunglasses straps, and they also have all kinds of travel sized stuff you might need. Another user suggested cheap dollar store bandanas to keep in park bag for whatever use you could think of (head covers, wrap up sores or injuries or even items that get wet, wipe off hands and face...)

You will need more than one pair of comfy walking/running shoes for everyone. If you don't already have 2 pair for each - save up for those.

Also - start a jar or something for loose change and $1's ... it will add up quick and you can use this anytime on your trip. I've been saving $1's and quarters. The $1's will be going in Mousekeeping envelopes and towards food and souvineers, the quarters are for the Toll Booths (we are renting a car) and for snacks and soda machines.

Its never to early to start planning - especially planning on a budget -- good luck and hope this helps!! :wave2:

I've started packing for my 4/23 trip already. I have an open suitcase in my room, and in the kids rooms, so that when I come across anything I know we'll need I throw it in.

you might think this suggestion is strange but swimming suites and shoes to wear to the pool....

some of Disney pools don't really require shoes - others you have to walk out in the street....

now don't tell me you can't go swimming in Dec - because I have done it.... it is one of the best things about being in Disney in the winter.... of course this was before they decided to turn down the temperature in the pools....

but since I am going in Dec - I am hopping they would have received enough complaints to either change their mind and put the temperature back - or explain why they are doing this better....

Yes, I get what you mean.
You had the big ones with the luggage, and an extra bag for what you take home. I have always purchased a large bag with handles from the gift shop for like $5 and we load it up on the way home and take it as a carry on. Some of the things you will carry on with your trip down, you can just pack and check for the way back.
With your kids being so young I would try to estimate what size they will be come december and get a couple of the warmer weather stuff, just in case you cant find it come december and they have out grown where they are this summer. (we had that happen)
Dont forget a waist pack aka. fanny pack for each of you. It sure beats leaving a purse somewhere. We actually get the kids size ones for our kids, at check in each of your kids will get a plastic room key. My oldest is 4 and he loved to get into the elevator and get his room key from his own fanny pack and open the door for all of us. We also save up through the year by purchasing disney dollars from the local disney store. We get $100 per month and we use those before we use green cash or plastic. It keeps our savings true savings and they will let you exchange it back in for green cash at the end of your trip if you need to. However if you use a $10 for a $2 item they give you green cash as change. FYI......so what we also do is each morning when the kids get their fanny pack on we will give them some disney dollars for in it. We use to give them a couple of $1 now I give them a $10 but it makes the kids feel independent.
The poncho is another great idea so you dont have the extra money to spend down their.
If you plan on brining strollers at all, I recommend getting a rain cover for them. Not only is it good for the rain, it is great for wind, Epcot gets very windy. It is also good to cover the stroller if it looks like rain, and you are headed into a show.
Sunblock is hard to find around here in the winter, so buy it now and put it away.
I go and get the travel stuff that you would always get, but I do it the way you are. I get a few things each time I go to the store and I put it away. If you get one suicase and stick it under the bed or in the closet, every time you come home with stuff, stick it in the suicase. One time I packed and I couldnt remember where we had stuck the bags......it was months prior.
We also get the travel bubbles. You know the real small ones that you might give out at a wedding instead of the rice. If you go to walmart they have it in the craft section as a box of 50. We put one in each of the fanny packs for each day. When the kids are tired of waiting in line or sitting on the bus or boat or whatever, we pull out the bubbles. It works for the 5 or 10 minutes you need. I have also pulled them out and blowed bubbles at my kids to get the kids around us to stop screaming.......it works on ALL the kids VERY VERY well!!!!!!!And everyone listening to the screaming appreciates it.
Dont forget to get sunglasses for your little ones, they need them too!
I will have to think on more.......I will let you know if I ome up with any!
Good Luck, and have a magical trip!!!

Hey daddyof2 - We're from Pittston, so we're almost neighbors...sort of. We will be at WDW during the same week with our DD who is 15, plus other assorted family members.

I agree that it's great to start thinking of items now instead of waiting till the last minute. I always make a packing list and then purchase a little at a time.

Here are some thoughts:

Ponchos - we used these at AK for the Kali River Rapids ride and it saved us from getting soaking wet. You can buy cheap ones then toss them after you're done riding (we had other ones incase it rained). They let us stay on for 3 rides as we hit this first ride of day and there was no line.

disposable cameras - when our DD was little we would buy her 1 or 2 disposable cameras that she could use to take whatever pictures she wanted. This way I didn't have to worry about ours getting dropped and even though many of the pics aren't great - she still remembers taking them.

sunscreen - I purchase a larger bottle of spray sunscreen, then purchase a small travel size spray bottle. Before we depart, I fill the small one with sunscreen, then only have to worry about carrying that for the day in my fannypack and it's easier to put on while waiting for any rides.

night light - when our DD was little we would pack a small night light for the hotel room. It was easier than leaving the bathroom light on for her to see. I would buy a cheap one so if I forgot to bring it home, wasn't a big loss.

That's about all I can think of for now, but when I begin making my packing list, I'll definitely have more suggestions.

Enjoy pixiedust:

I took a sling pack, which is like a small backpack that you can wear across your chest. It was just the right size for camera, sunblock, some snacks, money, medicines, etc. We bought glow bracelets and necklaces at the dollar tree, and we also bought these huge pens for autographs there. If your kids are at the age where they would enjoy pin trading, you could buy some on Ebay, so they can trade for ones they want at Disney.

Marsha

Make sure to pack your own first aid kit for your family.
Include:
bandaids
bandages
medical tape
(all of that is for the inevitable blisters)
tylenol and/or asprin
some sort of stomach medicine like pepto bismal
a thermometer
any feminine items
kleenex (the tissues they have in the hotel are like sandpaper)
any prescription meds you need
cough drops

I am saying this because we actually purchased half of that list while on vacation from the store at our resort and it was sooooo expensive. Bandaids were 4.00 a box!!! 2 tylenol were 2.00 in a little package at Epcot.
We ended up getting blisters AND we both got sick before we came home so we ended buying tylenol and asprin AND a thermometer (I had a fever of 104 the last day we were there). If I had brought all this stuff along we could have saved a bundle.

A couple other things from home to bring:

Lithium batteries for your digital camera (if you have one) They are outrageous at Disney.

Extra tapes for the videocamera.

Plug covers for all the outlets in your hotel room to protect the little ones. And any other child-proofing stuff you might use at home.

Bring jackets. Sounds silly because it is Florida but one night while we were there it did get cold and since we are from Alabama and thought it could never be cold enough for jackets we did not take any. It costs 50 bucks for ANY jacket/sweatshirt at Disney.

Some games/coloring books etc. for kids in case it is raining really hard or they get really fussy and need to go back to the room for some quiet time.

If you are going to fantasmic, wishes, etc. get the kids some glo-sticks at Walmart, hide them in your bag and produce them right at that moment that the vendors are going around selling the $20 glo-sticks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter