Magical May Solo Adventures, updated 2/8

Nice! Are you staying at one of the DL hotels? It's beautiful at Christmas time and we really love the California Adventure park too!

Congrats on booking the trip to Disneyland! WE just got back yesterday. It was so much fun but it was exhausting. For some reason when I'm with both my DH and my sister, it's twice as crazy. My DH wants to be on rides and my sister wants character pics and I somehow want to do both, so I end up running back and forth. LOL. DLR is smaller so you can get more done in a shorter amount of time, but we found that we loved certain rides so much we kept going back on them. (Radiator Springs Racers is the best ride ever!).

BTW, we'll be in WDW at the same time as your DLR trip! (Dec 2-7) :)

Nice! Are you staying at one of the DL hotels?

It's through Adventures by Disney so yes. At the Grand Californian

That's great news! You will love Disneyland and I'm sure being there on your birthday and during the holiday season will be extra special!

I am so excited I can hardly wait! But a year and 3 months from now seems like so long.....

Congrats on booking the trip to Disneyland!

Thanks!

WE just got back yesterday. It was so much fun but it was exhausting.

Welcome back! Can't wait to read all about it

Say whaaaaaaaaat! That is EXCELLENT, dude! I am so so so happy for you! You know my birthday is 2 days before yours, right? While you're at Disneyland, I'll be on a Caribbean cruise! WE ARE AWESOME. Birthday's are the best time to celebrate yourself, and I'm so thrilled to hear this!!!

So jealous!!!! I'd love to do the ABD backstage magic tour - I might have to add that to 2018's plans....

Well I'm jealous of your epic birthday adventure so I guess that makes us even!

Say whaaaaaaaaat! That is EXCELLENT, dude! I am so so so happy for you!

Thank you! I get so giddy with excitement just thinking about it

You know my birthday is 2 days before yours, right?

But of course!

WE ARE AWESOME.

YES WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before I get to the next update I wanted to share some funny (to me anyway) responses I've received from my exciting next birthday trip announcement. So when I am excited about something I can't help but share it with everyone.
Of course I received the standard response from my coworkers - "You're going to Disney AGAIN???? Weren't you just there?". I've had to educate them that it's not the same and besides we're talking about over a year from now. But really who can get enough Disney??????? My Disney loving brain has trouble comprehending this type of response.
And then the medical receptionist was like, "So which park was I at 16 years ago?". First I asked what state she was in but she couldn't remember nor could she remember anything about the resort itself. This absolutely boggled me mind. I was like "HOW COULD YOU NOT REMEMBER ANYTHING?????????? EVEN IF IT WAS 16 YEARS AGO, ESPECIALLY BEING THERE AS AN ADULT???" Granted my own memories of my 2 long ago trips are fuzzy themselves, but there is still a good amount I do remember plus those trips were as a child and teenager. And then she says, "Oh wait, I do remember a big tall castle". Ok then this I can work with. So I showed her a picture of Cinderella Castle and she confirmed. I did show her Sleeping Beauty Castle also just to be sure though. I think I might have startled her a little though.
My favorite response came from one of my sisters (the one who if you recall questioned why I don't hug any of them like I did the Disney characters) who was like "OH GOD! Does this mean we're going to have to hear about this for over a year? Isn't it enough what you put us through when you were planning your Disney World trip?" Why yes dear sister, DEAL WITH IT!

Now it's time to post another trip update coming right up....

Last edited:
Who’s ready to wrap up this wonderful day at Epcot? I know I am. Much as I adore Epcot this is still day 3 and we still have 6 days to go. No worries though, we’ll be back on day 7 (which is incidentally where my DR is at currently and that should be updated with that day’s breakfast sometime today if anyone is interested).

We continue on my second World Showcase jaunt for the day waving goodbye to Mexico, but not before one more picture that I forgot to share last time:

IMG_5044 (800x600).jpg

On to Norway we go! And more photos of course of my wanderings:

IMG_5048 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5049 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5050 (600x800).jpg

IMG_5051 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5052 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5053 (600x800).jpg

IMG_5055 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5058 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5059 (800x600).jpg

I did go into Kringla and was tempted to buy the School Bread that everyone raves about but being as I had a meal not that long ago and I had dinner planned very soon I decided to forgo this time and get one next time (spoiler: I totally forgot about it).

Rested my feet sitting on a bench in China before continuing on. No photos here at this time. I know how disappointing this must be for all of you being that you’ve come to expect it by now but don’t fret. Remember we have another Epcot day planned and there will be more China pictures for you to feast your lovely eyes on.

Continued next post...

Spent some time in Germany next:

IMG_5061 (800x600).jpg

Oh wait, never mind, this looks like a China photo. So I guess you get one after all. NOW we proceed to Germany:

IMG_5062 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5064 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5065 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5066 (600x800).jpg

IMG_5067 (600x800).jpg

IMG_5068 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5069 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5070 (800x600).jpg

Of course being a Princess who loves sparkle there is no question that I was drawn to the crystal shop. Such pretty sparkly things! Especially the tiaras! And even though a princess can never have too many tiaras I didn’t end up purchasing one (I am also a very indecisive princess).

Continued next post....

Guess what??? It’s almost dinner time and I’ve arrived right on time to Italy where I had a reservation at Via Napoli (which was not on my radar at all at the beginning of my planning. That is until I read Kari’s - @kastoney for all of you – very enthusiastic review of their Carciofi pizza. SOOOO WORTH IT by the way).

Although me being me I had to fit in some more pictures on/of the bridge before dinner:

IMG_5074 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5079 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5076 (800x600).jpg

A lovely couple noticed me attempting a selfie and kindly offered to snap my photo. And I of course returned the favor.

IMG_5078 (600x800).jpg

After a very satisfying dinner I walked straight ahead and perched myself in position for Illuminations which would be starting in about a half hour.

Some SE photos while waiting:

IMG_5089 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5091 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5092 (800x600).jpg

Illuminations is a beautiful show and I enjoyed it very much but just didn’t have that emotional response that I had to Wishes. But that is understandable of course. Wishes was the symbolic realization of a dream a long time in the making so really nothing could compare or move me in the same way.

(Excuse me as I take a few moments to wipe away the tears rising to the surface right about now….)

And now enjoy some more photos as I make my way out of Epcot with the crowd after Illuminations:

IMG_5093 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5094 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5095 (800x600).jpg

And a few more photos next post...

EPCOT_ECENTR2_20160511_7684133228 (533x800).jpg

IMG_5097 (800x600).jpg

EPCOT_ECENTR2_20160511_7684139334 (533x800).jpg

And that wraps up my day at Epcot and day 3 of this trip. Stay tuned next time as we leave the Disney bubble to spend a fun filled day at Universal Studios.

I love all the pictures!

I definitely get not having the same response to Illuminations as you did to Wishes. As much as I love Illuminations ... Wishes is one of those things that tugs at your heartstrings and really forces you (in a good way) to have an emotional response. Illuminations is nice, but it isn't really designed around that emotional response like Wishes is. (Not sure if that makes any sense ... but I definitely get it)

I had fallen behind on your trip report but I'm caught up again!

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

epcot_backside1_20160510_7683884296-533x800-jpg.190805

I love this Magic Shot!

Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen this one before! This is so cute!

And that got me looking into the Disneyland ABD dates again (couldn't seem to help myself) and noticed one for Dec 3-8 2017. Well, Dec 5 is my birthday and inspired by fellow Disers: @SnowWhiteOz , @chunkymonkey , and @Elevationist, I decided to splurge on the ultimate and most magical birthday present ever!

This is awesome! You're going to love Disneyland/California! The parks are so close together, it's crazy easy to park-hop! POTC in California also blows the one in Florida away! I am in the process of planning my own birthday extravaganza for 2018 haha...

Great photos! Sounds like you had a wonderful day at Epcot.

Thanks!

I love all the pictures!

Thanks!

I definitely get not having the same response to Illuminations as you did to Wishes. As much as I love Illuminations ... Wishes is one of those things that tugs at your heartstrings and really forces you (in a good way) to have an emotional response. Illuminations is nice, but it isn't really designed around that emotional response like Wishes is. (Not sure if that makes any sense ... but I definitely get it)

Yes, exactly!

I love your World Showcase photo tour! Almost makes me feel like I'm there! And your Spaceship Earth pics are BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks! I'm glad it succeeded in taking you back there (which will be for real very soon :D). Now that you mention it I believe that was my intention. And it looks like I succeeded in convincing some followers to explore that area more which makes me very happy.

Great photos!

Thanks!

I had fallen behind on your trip report but I'm caught up again!

And it seems I've fallen behind on updating this darn thing so it's all good

This is awesome! You're going to love Disneyland/California!

I'm so beyond excited!

I am in the process of planning my own birthday extravaganza for 2018 haha...

Disney is the best place to celebrate birthdays!

How did this happen again that almost a month has gone by since my last update? At this rate it'll take me a year to finish this up. Time just goes by so fast. And I don't think I realized just how time consuming it is to write these up. But today I decided it's time to sit back down and get to it.

Day 4 (finally!)

Today we leave our beloved Disney and spend the day at Universal Studios. But before that allow me to share a little dose of Disney. Have you guys seen the following precious video of a father and daughter singing Tangled's "I see the Light"? It showed up in my FB feed a few weeks back and I just need to share it.
Go ahead and watch it full screen. I'll wait.

If you enjoyed that video there is also a behind the scenes one also worth watching.

Anyone else get emotional during that part of the movie? I had heard the song before but actually watching it was a whole other story. I was an emotional wreck!

Ok, back to Universal.

IMG_5100 (800x600).jpg

I think like a lot of people the real draw for me was Wizarding World. If not for that I don’t think I would’ve contemplated prying myself away from Disney. What I didn’t expect was how much of a blast I’d have in the other sections of the park as well.

In researching how to get to Universal I found out that Dreams Unlimited offers tickets with shuttle transportation from and back to the Disney resorts. The 2 park 1 day ticket plus transportation was around $180 with tax. A park to park ticket from Universal costs $155 so the transportation to and from ends up to be $25. Pretty good for a solo traveler. For a group it would probably be best to just Uber it.

I called the shuttle service as soon as I arrived at AoA to set up the pickup times. The day before I received a reminder message as well as the name and phone number of my driver. Wanting to arrive early enough for rope drop, not knowing the traffic situation nor how many other stops we’d be making on the way, I requested a pickup for sometime between 7:30 and 7:45 (can’t for the life of me remember the exact time). Grabbed one of my breakfast bars plus a small chocolate milk from the food court and right as I stepped out the van pulled in. My driver’s name was Donna and turns out I was the only pickup so no other stops. No traffic either so the ride took about 20 min. I was dropped off close to 8:00. Donna also let me know that it I wanted to change my pickup time from the park to just call and let her know. I appreciated that.

So the first thing you come across is City Walk lined with a whole lotta shops and restaurants. From there you have signs directing you to either Univeral Studios Florida or Islands of Adventure. But first the obligatory picture with the Universal logo:

IMG_5102 (800x600).jpg

Noticing my selfie attempts a passerby offered to help me out:

IMG_5103 (800x600).jpg

(there will be a lot of me squinting in these photos from the sun since I decided to wear my contact lenses today – I have daily disposables that I wear occasionally- so that I would better appreciate the rides here and I forgot my hat and my sunglasses are prescription)

Then I was on my way to:

IMG_5105 (800x600).jpg

Where I was one of the first at the turnstyle eagerly waiting for the ride I was most excited about. I could glimpse a part of it from where I stood. Finally we were let in and I quickly arrived at my destination – Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Bring on the thrill rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After storing my bag in the lockers provided (free for 25 min or duration of ride) I managed to be one of the first in line. But after 5 min we were told that the audio was not working and to either wait (but they couldn’t tell how long it would be) or come back.

I decided to continue on. This first section of the park is themed after New York and as I was walked around in awe. I have to hand it to Universal. Their detailed theming is out of this world fantastic. I was so impressed. I loved strolling through this section on my way to another ride:

IMG_5107 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5108 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5109 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5110 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5111 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5112 (600x800).jpg

Continued next post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter