Magic Kingdom rides when it rains

pcdesmond

Earning My Ears
We leave tomorrow and are going to MK on Thursday and Friday, but the forecast calls for rain both days :( What are some good rides to wait for and ride on?

Buzz Lightyear
People Mover
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Small World
Peter Pan
Pooh
Teacups
Space Mountain

I've been on the train while raining. I just rode it until the rain let up. It was very relaxing.

We went last April and it poured like crazy all morning. We were bummed but only had one day so we just forged ahead. It was great! Almost no lines all morning long and the weather turned beautiful in the afternoon. Just leave your camera at home and bring a poncho.

Just take a poncho or rain jacket of some sort and have fun. I ride Splash Mountain when it rains, I don't normally ride it because I don't like getting wet but if I already have rain gear on anyway, I go for it. I take the opportunity to be a kid again and splash in puddles (when no one is near of course).

They planned for the weather when they made MK, so a lot of the rides and queues are indoors or under cover (as opposed to California, where a lot of it is exposed). You'll be fine, and if you stick it out you might find the park is less crowded. People tend to head for the hotel when it starts pouring rain, and once they are in their hotel it takes quote a bit of momentum to get back in the park.

Just take a poncho or rain jacket of some sort and have fun. ... I take the opportunity to be a kid again and splash in puddles (when no one is near of course).
I agree -- any opportunity to act like a kid again! :-) Grab some ponchos & forge ahead, especially if it's a lighter rain. No reason to let that stop you.

About 4 years ago, we were there on one of those practically-a-monsoon kinda days. No thunder or lightning, but full-on downpour the ENTIRE day. We just trudged on & made the best of it (a rainy day in WDW is still better than a day at home in the Midwest. ;-) ). Later in the afternoon, we went back to our room, changed into dry clothes (even with heavy ponchos, it was raining so hard we were pretty wet) and took a short nap. I asked the kids, "Head to MK for dinner & late night magic hours or stay at the resort & call it an early day?" They both wanted to head to MK. The park was pretty empty by the time we finished dinner & the rain let up (still drizzling but not monsoon style) in time for the fireworks. We rode pretty much everything we wanted to ride a couple times that evening, and the kids STILL talk about that night as their all-time favorite time at Disney World. It was a great memory. :lovestruc

They planned for the weather when they made MK, so a lot of the rides and queues are indoors or under cover (as opposed to California, where a lot of it is exposed). You'll be fine, and if you stick it out you might find the park is less crowded. People tend to head for the hotel when it starts pouring rain, and once they are in their hotel it takes quote a bit of momentum to get back in the park.

Actually I think the covered line queues are as much to provide cover from the hot FL sun as anything. But they serve double duty for the rain.

When it rains you just have to forge ahead with your ponchos. The one ride I will say is NOT good in the rain is Astro Orbiter. We rode that once in a downpour and had a LAP FULL of rain in our ponchos by the time that thing finished. It was miserable. Likewise I would say the Grand Prix cars are not good as they're so slow. Laugh Floor, Small World, Philharmagic, People Mover, Space, Pirates & Haunted Mansion are particularly good with extensive indoor time. Although there's a fair amount of cover for the BTMRR queue the ride itself is mostly outdoors and I don't enjoy it in the rain. And as someone else mentioned Splash is good in the rain if you're already wet... If it's thunderstorms a lot of rides will just be shut down completely. MK isn't so good in that case as you have to wait out the lightening & thunder. Downpours are also a good time to take an indoor break for lunch.

I recommend getting some sort of weather app on your phone where you can check the current radar. We always head to something with a long wait when it looks like a particularly heavy downpour is coming. May as well spend the time wisely and have some dry time....something like Peter Pan would work in that case.

Last edited:
I have been to the MK when there was a foot of water it was raining so much and hard it was a lot of fun grab a poncho and just have fun and they will ask you to take if off before getting on rides but as long as there is no thunder or lighting the rides should all be open ( the out side ones like splash big thunder 7DMT dumbo extra if there is lighting they will close those for safety)

It will not rain. Trust me, it's been hot and dry all week (ok, not too hot), but I don't see it raining anytime soon this week. In fact, I'm looking outside right now and it's sunny. If anything, it will drizzle.

Eta: I just looked at forecast and it does call for rain. But I still don't believe it ;) )

I am the person that smiles and waves as I dig deeper into the park and others are walking out. It's my way of thanking them for leaving my park. HA!

Most of the rides are great in the rain. We also use it as a great time to have a sit down meal or shop. I absolutely love MK in the rain. And remember, a rainy day at Disney is better than a sunny day pretty much anywhere else ;)

Actually I think the covered line queues are as much to provide cover from the hot FL sun as anything. But they serve double duty for the rain.

When it rains you just have to forge ahead with your ponchos. The one ride I will say is NOT good in the rain is Astro Orbiter. We rode that once in a downpour and had a LAP FULL of rain in our ponchos by the time that thing finished. It was miserable. Likewise I would say the Grand Prix cars are not good as they're so slow. Laugh Floor, Small World, Philharmagic, People Mover, Space, Pirates & Haunted Mansion are paricularly good with extensive indoor time. Although there's a fair amount of cover for the BTMRR queue the ride itself is mostly outdoors and I don't enjoy it in the rain. And as someone else mentioned Splash is good in the rain if you're already wet... If it's thunderstorms a lot of rides will just be shut down completely. MK isn't so good in that case as you have to wait out the lightening & thunder. Downpours are also a good time to take an indoor break for lunch.

I recommend getting some sort of weather app on your phone where you can check the current radar. We always head to something with a long wait when it looks like a particularly heavy downpour is coming. May as well spend the time wisely and have some dry time....something like Peter Pan would work in that case.

Haha! That comment about Astro Orbiter conjured up some hilarious mental images.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter