Magic Key Program

Based on the lesser crowds when the lower tiers were blocked out, I would be happy with them just bringing back the signature passes with no payment plan. That might take care of some of the issues. I know this is incredibly wishful thinking!
The problem is there are now plenty of tools, such as afterpay, klarna, quadpay, affirm, etc. where people can create their own payment plans for just about any purchase, including buying theme park APs. It might not be as simple as doing it all through Disney, but would have its own set of advantages, such as if you miss a payment, your pass wouldn't be suspended until you paid it. This could creat even more craziness.

I know this idea has been floated before… but per ride paid fast pass…

It’s your magic key to faster access… $12 and you jump the line with your magic key…

Oh boy I hope that isn’t what this is. If I average ~10 big attractions a day that I previously would have used MaxPass on and they average $10 per line jump my daily park “entry fee” is basically $100 more. I hate lines so I probably would do it constantly which would be so painful on the wallet…

Thats just been launch today at Disneyland Paris Its called Disneyland Premier Access
Autopia - €8 per guest
Buzz Lightyear - €15 per guest
Space Mountain - €9 per guest
Star Tours - €8 per guest
Peter Pan - €15 per guest
Big Thunder Mountain - €12 per guest
Ratatouille - €12 per guest
Tower of Terror - €15 per guest

I know this idea has been floated before… but per ride paid fast pass…

It’s your magic key to faster access… $12 and you jump the line with your magic key…

Oh boy I hope that isn’t what this is. If I average ~10 big attractions a day that I previously would have used MaxPass on and they average $10 per line jump my daily park “entry fee” is basically $100 more. I hate lines so I probably would do it constantly which would be so painful on the wallet…

I honestly am convinced they will start charging for Fastpass and this Magic Key pass will be how you avoid paying every time. I am almost sure "included" fastpass entry will be a perk of this pass and everyone else will have to pay either a daily flat rate or a per ride surcharge. The pay per ride model has already been in use in foreign parks for a long time. It's coming here.

That said, I am also fully convinced this pass includes park admission. I think the base perks will be park admission and fastpass access, and then various levels will also include parking, discounts, etc as add on options. The more you pay, the more you get.

The problem is there are now plenty of tools, such as afterpay, klarna, quadpay, affirm, etc. where people can create their own payment plans for just about any purchase, including buying theme park APs. It might not be as simple as doing it all through Disney, but would have its own set of advantages, such as if you miss a payment, your pass wouldn't be suspended until you paid it. This could creat even more craziness.

I don't really see how that is relevant. You can buy your annual pass on a credit card and pay it over time with interest.

Thats just been launch today at Disneyland Paris Its called Disneyland Premier Access
Autopia - €8 per guest
Buzz Lightyear - €15 per guest
Space Mountain - €9 per guest
Star Tours - €8 per guest
Peter Pan - €15 per guest
Big Thunder Mountain - €12 per guest
Ratatouille - €12 per guest
Tower of Terror - €15 per guest

Could you imagine paying $10 to skip the line to ride Autopia. :rotfl2:

Just a funny story that plays into this a little and I'm not too judgy about it - in fact I laugh about it. On my last trip to DL in 2019, I brought a friend who had never been (but knew WDW well). Anyway, we were pretty amused when we went into the Main Street Cinema and found what was basically a campsite for teens. They were laying on the platform in the center and hanging clothes over the railings. We called them the "Vagabond Children of Main Street USA." I mean, if they had had a pot of chili hanging over an open fire with a boot sticking out of it, it would have felt about right. It seemed weird, and it seemed like the kind of thing that just wouldn't happen at WDW. Obviously they would go int here to cool off and hang out - there were no CMs or anything so whatever. I mean, it wasn't a big deal to me and it led to endless jokes and amusement, but I can also see where it does bring down the atmosphere a bit to a more "Six Flags" level, and that's not necessarily ideal.

We used to sleep in the bushes when it was Disney grad night...that was, an experience :flower1:

Okay question for the room, I'm not an accountant, but in terms of buying an annual passport and paying over time... wouldn't Disney book the entire bit of revenue as a receivable at the time of purchase? Meaning, there is no revenue impact for taxes/reporting for a person buying an AP cash up-front vs. paying over time, and that the only material impact is to cash flow?

When someone buys something from me on December 31st (last day of FY), I count the revenue for the current FY even if they take 30 days to pay me.

We used to sleep in the bushes when it was Disney grad night...that was, an experience :flower1:

Yeah, and you know, I don't really get bent out of shape about kids having fun. Oftentimes it is the adults that are really making things miserable. Those kids/teens LOVE being at Disneyland, even if I'm pretty sure they were running a pickpocket ring on Main Street, or so our imaginations told us. 🤣

Okay question for the room, I'm not an accountant, but in terms of buying an annual passport and paying over time... wouldn't Disney book the entire bit of revenue as a receivable at the time of purchase? Meaning, there is no revenue impact for taxes/reporting for a person buying an AP cash up-front vs. paying over time, and that the only material impact is to cash flow?

When someone buys something from me on December 31st (last day of FY), I count the revenue for the current FY even if they take 30 days to pay me.
*Accountant here*
Most big corporations do their accounting on an accrual basis, which means you book the revenue as it is "earned" there are different benchmarks depending on the type of product but for most subscription models you book the revenue over the time the subscription is good for. Unlike small businesses or individuals who typically work on the cash basis (revenue is recorded when cash is received).

Yeah, and you know, I don't really get bent out of shape about kids having fun. Oftentimes it is the adults that are really making things miserable. Those kids/teens LOVE being at Disneyland, even if I'm pretty sure they were running a pickpocket ring on Main Street, or so our imaginations told us. 🤣

Unrelated but related, but this comes to mind when you talk about the vagabonds of main street...

newsies_production_still.jpg

That’s exactly what I am hoping for. I can appreciate the fact that folks like going to Disneyland regularly. I am an out-of-stater and have owned APs several times in the past. But Disneyland has got to do something about the overcrowding. It isn’t sustainable and it makes the park a lot less appealing.
I agree. If I were local I might feel differently, but if I'm spending the money and effort to go to Disneyland as a destination then I don't want it overcrowded with AP locals just hanging out, or worse, dumping kids off. There's a reason I don't go to Six Flags and there's a reason I pay Disney prices.

I'm very interested in what they have to say today. I'm hopeful there will be something for everyone at an attainable price point. I still have a couple 3 day park hoppers I'm hoping to roll into whatever this is.

I'm very interested in what they have to say today. I'm hopeful there will be something for everyone at an attainable price point. I still have a couple 3 day park hoppers I'm hoping to roll into whatever this is.

At Disneyland yesterday, I overheard several people talking about that and hoping to get credit towards an AP for their park hoppers. Will be interesting to see how they handle all of the different scenarios or just have a hard stop.

At Disneyland yesterday, I overheard several people talking about that and hoping to get credit towards an AP for their park hoppers. Will be interesting to see how they handle all of the different scenarios or just have a hard stop.

They are allegedly bringing back ticket booth CMs and reopening the booths fully "within the next 2 weeks". So, it seems they are anticipating an influx of people wanting/needing to upgrade.

I wonder if they’re going to allow upgrades. Currently you can’t upgrade to a higher ticket. Or so I’ve read here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter