Magic Key no shows

Oh that's good. I was under the impression you couldn't.
Trust me, compared to other cancellation options (I’m looking at you LEGOLAND) the disney reservation system is a dream. Not that I like it for spontaneity and agree you should be able to cancel day of, but man… some of the other ones are downright painful and/or have no easy option to cancel. It so easy to cancel online, but yes I have forgotten to one time when I had booked a weekend and plans changed.

They have to have the no-show penalty otherwise people would hoard. Disney has trained us to book everything (like ADRs) “just in case” so they need to have these rules. Same with the $15 no-show rule for ADRs.

I agree in concept that same-day cancellations should go into the pool for same-day reservations. But also, not every MK holder lives close enough to respond to a same-day reservation. When would the cut-off time be for same-day cancellations? It would be difficult to work that logistically and would really only benefit people who live very close to DLR. If there were no penalty, reservation availability at all times other than same-day would be much, much worse than it is now.

It would suck if you live 3 hours away and always have a really tough time getting reservations because locals are hoarding and cancelling at noon to let another local grab the spot.

Now, I hate the reservation system in general. I think they should just do a cheaper version where your entry is capped (maybe 3 days per month?) and then a more expensive version that’s unlimited with no reservations. But if they’re going to have the reservation system, there has to be a no-show penalty otherwise you’ll have tons of no-shows.

There are gyms/workout classes where you pay a subscription for unlimited passes, but if you no-show, they charge you extra for not showing up! That’s to prevent the same thing.

They have to have the no-show penalty otherwise people would hoard. Disney has trained us to book everything (like ADRs) “just in case” so they need to have these rules. Same with the $15 no-show rule for ADRs.

I agree in concept that same-day cancellations should go into the pool for same-day reservations. But also, not every MK holder lives close enough to respond to a same-day reservation. When would the cut-off time be for same-day cancellations? It would be difficult to work that logistically and would really only benefit people who live very close to DLR. If there were no penalty, reservation availability at all times other than same-day would be much, much worse than it is now.

It would suck if you live 3 hours away and always have a really tough time getting reservations because locals are hoarding and cancelling at noon to let another local grab the spot.

Now, I hate the reservation system in general. I think they should just do a cheaper version where your entry is capped (maybe 3 days per month?) and then a more expensive version that’s unlimited with no reservations. But if they’re going to have the reservation system, there has to be a no-show penalty otherwise you’ll have tons of no-shows.

There are gyms/workout classes where you pay a subscription for unlimited passes, but if you no-show, they charge you extra for not showing up! That’s to prevent the same thing.

I'd honestly prefer to be charged a penalty for a no show.

I get that the policy is intended to stop people from hoarding, but this is a problem Disney themselves created. They can find another way to manage this issue than just outright banning people from making reservations for 30 days, because that doesn't solve the problem either since it allows you to continue visiting on reservations already made.

I think it would be fair to allow same day cancelations up to the time they determine people can park hop. So, 11am beginning next weekend. Most people who won't be able to make their reservations know it in the morning.

Trust me, compared to other cancellation options (I’m looking at you LEGOLAND) the disney reservation system is a dream. Not that I like it for spontaneity and agree you should be able to cancel day of, but man… some of the other ones are downright painful and/or have no easy option to cancel. It so easy to cancel online, but yes I have forgotten to one time when I had booked a weekend and plans changed.
I wish there was a way to switch reservations day-of. I checked morning-of a DCA reservation I made and saw DL was available. I had done the DCA res a few days prior only because DL was unavailable.

I wish there was a way to switch reservations day-of. I checked morning-of a DCA reservation I made and saw DL was available. I had done the DCA res a few days prior only because DL was unavailable.
Completely - if you already have a reservation at one park, if the other is available you should be able To switch without cancelling. Park hoping at 11 soon will help alleviate this, but still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter