• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Bands at DLR...what am I missing?

Thanks everyone - lots to think about. We're pretty much west coast only, so the chances of using them at WDW are slim. I like the idea of having them, but I think until more features get added I'll probably pass. When I do eventually get one, I'll probably make a leather fob to carry it in since I already wear a smart watch, then it can hang out with my Spira fob that I use to pay for stuff.

... then it can hang out with my Spira fob that I use to pay for stuff.
OOOH! AAAH! A Spira fob? What a cool idea. I keep my Spira in a "credit card" pouch in the small wallet I carry at Disney. A fob? Oh, I guess I need to look that up ... get some ideas ... LOL!

Thanks everyone - lots to think about. We're pretty much west coast only, so the chances of using them at WDW are slim. I like the idea of having them, but I think until more features get added I'll probably pass. When I do eventually get one, I'll probably make a leather fob to carry it in since I already wear a smart watch, then it can hang out with my Spira fob that I use to pay for stuff.
I wear mine on the opposite wrist of my watch.

Having worn them multiple times at WDW, they are nice and convenient if they are giving them to you for free. The thought of having to charge the new version makes me never want to buy them- and even if I didn't have to charge them, I don't really need one more thing I have to pay for at WDW/DLR. The prices have gone sky high without adding that too.

That said-- there is one instance I can think of where it might be worth it. If you are the one that manages the Genie+ account, and if you don't let your teens (or other family members) log in and use it on their phones. With the Virtual Queues and previously max pass, I'm always the one that pulls out the phone and scans for everyone. If you have teens or family members that go off on their own or don't want to stay with the group for LLs, etc., then having their own magic band linked to their name on your account that they can just scan in can be useful. Sometimes we go with friends. I can see myself buying a band for my DD, so she can go off with her friend and scan her band for a LL I have set up.

It looks like there are two reasons to purchase these next-gen/DLR MBs:
1. For an efficient, entertaining upgrade to your park experience, and/or
2. As a souvenir of sorts.
We have stayed at several WDW resorts in the past decade, and have a fair collection of MBs. Only the very first ones we got are running out of battery. I sometimes still wear our more recent bands, but now have an Apple Watch which I've used at WDW recently as a MB replacement. It uses near-field signal to work just like MB at the gates and LLs. It can also pay at kiosks if linked to a Disney Resort room. So it's efficient, but maybe not really entertaining (although I usually have Mickey on my watch face, and he seems to enjoy park hopping with me).
As for a souvenir, that is truly a personal preference. If it's something that brings you extra joy while in parks and back home, then it sounds like a wise investment for some.

I have 2 of them, but I bought them for WDW back in august when they first launched. I’ve used it for entry at DLR since it launched there. It goes faster then trying to pull my pass up on my phone. However, I wouldn’t have specifically bought it for DLR.

This is 100% me too. We have them from a trip to WDW in September, so I just linked them to my account. I would not have purchased just for DL, but I do like wearing mine there for my visits. The biggest plus I have found is not having to try to push or hold onto a wheelchair while trying to fish out a phone to pull up tickets to scan into rides.

I found them very useful on our trip to DL last month. Great for getting into the parks and onto all our Genie+ rides. I highly recommend. I was the only person of our group that had to pull out my phone for things (just to book the Genie+ rides).

Having worn them multiple times at WDW, they are nice and convenient if they are giving them to you for free. The thought of having to charge the new version makes me never want to buy them- and even if I didn't have to charge them, I don't really need one more thing I have to pay for at WDW/DLR. The prices have gone sky high without adding that too.

That said-- there is one instance I can think of where it might be worth it. If you are the one that manages the Genie+ account, and if you don't let your teens (or other family members) log in and use it on their phones. With the Virtual Queues and previously max pass, I'm always the one that pulls out the phone and scans for everyone. If you have teens or family members that go off on their own or don't want to stay with the group for LLs, etc., then having their own magic band linked to their name on your account that they can just scan in can be useful. Sometimes we go with friends. I can see myself buying a band for my DD, so she can go off with her friend and scan her band for a LL I have set up.
They still work if you don't charge them as far as I know. Maybe they just don't light up and do the "shows"?

They still work if you don't charge them as far as I know. Maybe they just don't light up and do the "shows"?

That's what I've heard as well. They will still work for Genie+ and park entry, just not for entertainment integration.

That said, the charging doesn't bother me at all. I charge my phone and a power bank every night before a Disney day, so I can definitely charge one more thing without batting an eye. To each their own though.

That's what I've heard as well. They will still work for Genie+ and park entry, just not for entertainment integration.

That said, the charging doesn't bother me at all. I charge my phone and a power bank every night before a Disney day, so I can definitely charge one more thing without batting an eye. To each their own though.

It's the proprietary charger that bothers me. If they just went with USB-C it would have not been a problem. But now you need an additional outlet and have to store an extra cable type. It's annoying.

It's the proprietary charger that bothers me. If they just went with USB-C it would have not been a problem. But now you need an additional outlet and have to store an extra cable type. It's annoying.
That's one bizzare decision. I guess they really wanted folks to need to buy a replacement cable from them. That's a... certainly milk-guest-for-all-they-have decision. Honestly this fact is more off-putting to me than anything else.

That's one bizzare decision. I guess they really wanted folks to need to buy a replacement cable from them. That's a... certainly milk-guest-for-all-they-have decision. Honestly this fact is more off-putting to me than anything else.

Yup. $7.99. And its even sold out online. Way to support your own product, Disney.

Screenshot_20221208_090127_Chrome.jpg

As frequent users of G+ and park hopping we love our MB, especially me as the keeper of the LL/the one who is always on her phone. I really dislike having to take my phone out so much and swipe swipe swipe (fam of 5). I have also noticed my phone doesn’t need a recharge during the day with MB, presumably as I don’t have to pull it up every LL. I also keep my phone in my backpack so it is annoying to drag out often.

I can confirm yes they work for your tickets and LL if not charged. Its the interactivity that doesn’t work if not charged.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned here is the real benefit for infrequent visitors would be if your party might split up and some members do not have a smart phone. In this case I probably would buy them for those individuals only.

It’s a hard case to make to shell out $150 for one trip without the ability to pay (please bring this soon, this would be a game changer for me as again I hate having to dig through the backpack all the time!!!) Although in your case it might be fun to get for your son as a bday gift - my teenager surprisingly loved every time it lit up after a ride (Soarin, Webslingers, Buzz, Space, HM, etc.) In those moments the tough teenager facade was broken - “mommy look!”

It’s a hard case to make to shell out $150 for one trip without the ability to pay (please bring this soon, this would be a game changer for me as again I hate having to dig through the backpack all the time!!!) Although in your case it might be fun to get for your son as a bday gift - my teenager surprisingly loved every time it lit up after a ride (Soarin, Webslingers, Buzz, Space, HM, etc.) In those moments the tough teenager facade was broken - “mommy look!”
That is the most compelling argument I've heard so far. Those moments are few and far between.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter