Lunch with an astronaut at KSC

Bradford

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever gone to Kennedy Space Center and purchased a ticket to have lunch with the featured astronuat? My family and I are very interested. We're sure it'll be 100 of our closest friends :-) together with the astronaut.

What was it like? Were you able to have your photo made with him? Get an autrograph?

We went two years ago and loved it. I strongly suggest the lunch with the astronaut. I think it made the whole day with us. You get to ask him questions in a kind of open floor forum. They come around with a mike. You can get your picture taken. They passed around his resume and history which was nice for my kids to take back to school. Our astronaut got stuck in a snowstorm so they had someone fill in. We got lucky because he had commanded two space shuttles and when we went and saw the imax later, he was the commander in the movie. So cool. The food was wonderful and well worth it. It was a buffet with cute extras like rocket shaped desserts etc. Very nicely done with flowers in red, white and blue. We got front of the line because of the extra admission. I dreaded this day as I'm not a space kinda gal. It was myself, DH and DN12 & DD10. We wanted to do something educational as they were missing school. It was also 2 weeks after the space shuttle crisis. It turned out to be the highlight of our trip. We all enjoyed it and stayed until closing. Also, the gift shop is very fun and our girls were able to take back freeze dried ice cream etc. back to class.
Have fun! I think you'll really enjoy it.

Jenn

I can't really add much to what JDM said, except to say that I, too, have done the lunch and enjoyed it a great deal. It's well worth it.

We're going on June 30th with Story Musgrave! I'm SO excited as I'm a total space geek :)

Hiya,

We did the dinner with an astronaut about 3 years ago and it was fabulous! Without a doubt, the best part of the entire day. The food was lovely and the astronaut was fascinating! He even took the time to have a picture with us. To be totally honest I dont think I would have enjoyed the day much if it hadnt have been for the astronaut dinner. It rained so we werent allowed to go to the observation tower but the dinner really made up for that!

Hope that helped! :Pinkbounc

We will be at KSC on June 17 and have been going back and forth about doing this. You all are making me really want to go ahead with it. Did you all buy your tickets in advance from the website? I don't want to plan it and then they be sold out. Thanks.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

No, we didn't pre-buy the tickets. In fact, I was hoping we'd end up not going so I was sure NOT to buy tickets before hand! It was rather confusing when we got there with many different admissions including various things. There is someone up there kind of directing you and giving you a hand to figure out which would work best for your family. We just happened to get a very nice woman who encouraged us to go with the lunch admission. As it was lunchtime anyway and we'd knew we'd probably pay a fortune at the snack bar, we went ahead and did the lunch. It was much nicer than I was expecting. We were going to stay a couple of hours and then go over to Cocoa Beach for the rest of the afternoon but we ended up closing the joint :)

Jenn

Couldn't resist saying Hi to SeattleMark. We're just up the road from you in Mount Vernon. :)

Hey Jenn! Just across the bridge! (I had the username SeattleMark from when I lived in Seattle. I now live in Burlington)

We pre-purchased out tickets just because we REALLY wanted to meet Story Musgrave. Okay, I did, the rest of the family didn't know who he was. :)

If it's one of the "bigger name" astronauts, you may want to pre-purchase, otherwise you're probably safe. Having said that, if you have your heart set on doing this, you can be sure by pre-purchasing.

Great thread! DD, 7, is really really really into space and I've been trying to get out of taking her to KSC this trip by telling myself she's too young. Now I think I'll go, especially because she's dying to. Lunch with the astronaut...I'd been trying to find out about that and is it worth it due to her age, but it sounds like it's pretty great.

Thanks for the info!

SeattleMark said:
We're going on June 30th with Story Musgrave! I'm SO excited as I'm a total space geek :)

Sounds like a winner. That's the day we penciled in to go. Food looks like a good value for the price.

We have a 7.75 YO and an 11 month old. How do infants survive the lunch?

BTW, we're from Maple Valley! :cool1:

I never understand why everyone is so hesitant about visiting KSC It is a wonderful way to spend the day, even if you DON'T do the lunch with an astronaut! While we tend to be a little space-program-obsessed at our house, there is still SO MUCH to do and see at KSC that I think everyone should do this once. There isn't as much walking involved as at other theme parks and the drive is like a built-in rest, so consider KSC for your non-theme-park days. The IMAX movies are great, the things you see on the bus tour are amazing, the Saturn V rocket complex is incredible AND awe-inspiring, and...you get to touch a moon rock! DD has always enjoyed KSC, so much so that last year we took a week of our vacation at Cocoa Beach while she went to Space Camp (day camp) at KSC/Astronaut Hall of Fame (AHoF is also fun, but more of a museum with a neat hands-on area for the younger set...no, there really isn't time to do KSC and AHoF on the same day, even tho they sell a combo pass). We go to WDW twice a year, probably hit KSC once in every three trips. Try it, you'll like it!

For those that do the lunches/dinners, do you get to know which astronauts are appearing at your particular meal ahead of time?

If you go to the offical website and act like you are going to buy the lunch tickets it will show you which astranout will be there on the day you choose. You do not have to go any further in the purchase at this point. HTH.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

My son just turned six, but he is really into space and astronauts. My husband and he are planning to go to KSC one day, while my daugter, 4, and I go to the beach. :flower:

Would the "lunch with an astronaut" be completely over the head of a six-year-old? He really enjoys space, but would it be too long and/or technical to keep his attention?

Thanks!!

Svenson - I went in early June with DD, who turned 7 in at the end of March, she is also really into space and astronauts. I did not pre-purchase our lunch with an astronaut ticket and they were sold out and we were there 5 minutes after they opened! It was with Tom Jones. So I can't answer that, but I can tell you that they do have open question and answer sessions with the astronaut. We caught the last 15 minutes of that after one of the shows and a few of the adults asked very technical questions, but DD also got a chance to ask hers..."Is the food you eat good?" :earboy2: I really enjoyed the q/a session but she was ready to go at the end. After the session you can get in line and get your picture taken with the astr. Also, Tom Jones was doing a book signing and we bought his book and she chatted a little with him then. He was very gracious.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, Jennz! Do I understand you correctly that you can go to the open Q & A session without attending the lunch? That might be a better option, especially since we wouldn't have that "we-paid-for-this-we-better-stay-and-get-our-money's-worth" feeling. Then we can stay or go depending on his interest level.

Loved your daughter's question . . . I bet my daughter would ask about their potty. :)

lol about your daughter's question! They have the Q&A sessions a couple of times/day but I don't remember exactly when. It is separate from the lunch and is held in an outdoor theatre-type place, there's a small stage and some rows of benches. He had a podium in the front that he spoke from and there was a person who went around with a microphone for you to ask your question. So, to answer your question...yes you can go to the q/a session without going to the lunch. :)

As it turned out I was glad we didn't make the lunch, saved some $ (although the lunch we did have, chicken strips and pizza, was more expensive than Disney!), it was something DD liked and we had more time for other things. We were there the entire day. Of course I've never been to the lunch and I've heard it's fantastic, but it worked out good for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter