Luggage for Kids?

motor58

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys,

We have a trip this fall and I am realizing that our kids are getting old enough to schlep some of their own stuff. We have 3 kids: at the time of travel-8, 5, 4. I think the two older ones could do a small wheeled thing.

I am trying to get the most for my money really. I don't want to do super cutesy things that they won't use in 3 years. I also don't want to waste money on something that will fall apart quickly. I have searched and searched on the boards and haven't found much info.

Should I get a rolling backpack from either LL Bean or Lands End for $60-80?

Should I get a small hardside Heys, like they have at overstock.com for $60?

Or the luggage at pottery barn kids is pretty cute at $70, but maybe too cute?

I like the idea of the lifetime warranty that LL bean has (and I think Lands End does too), but how useful are rolling backpacks outside of travel? Are Heys supposed to be decent durable luggage? I hate buying stuff that doesn't get used. We do travel, not a ton though.

If I am overlooking something, please let me know! I know a lot of you guys have bought stuff for your kids and I'd love to hear what you thought of what you bought-and if it got used.

Thanks in Advance!

We got 2 Champion brand rolling backpacks a couple years ago at JCPenney's for around $35. I just looked online but I can't tell if Champion is still making them or not. They have held up really well and we use them more than I expected.

Even if you don't get the same ones, here's what I like about them:
wheeled--my girls (8 & 10) never want to carry anything--it's too heeeaavvyyy! They can pull these easily, or if I end up doing it I don't have to add another thing to my over-the-shoulder load.

--expandable. They are just under the limit of carry-on and we are actually using that for a short trip this weekend, but we usually check them. They have straps that can be undone to fill them more when necessary.

--straps and handle--the girls can strap a small backpack to them and drag the whole thing through the airport.

We use them a lot for sleepovers, trips to Grandma's, summer camp overnights, everything. They are pink but not little kiddish. They have one big compartment, plus two smaller--one we usually put shoes in and one for a wet bathing suit. They easily fit everything a girl needs for an overnight or enough summer clothes for a WDW trip.

Here's a thought...maybe get the rolling backpacks for school...and then "let" them take them on the trip!

Hi Guys,

We have a trip this fall and I am realizing that our kids are getting old enough to schlep some of their own stuff. We have 3 kids: at the time of travel-8, 5, 4. I think the two older ones could do a small wheeled thing.

I am trying to get the most for my money really. I don't want to do super cutesy things that they won't use in 3 years. I also don't want to waste money on something that will fall apart quickly. I have searched and searched on the boards and haven't found much info.

I like the idea of the lifetime warranty that LL bean has (and I think Lands End does too), but how useful are rolling backpacks outside of travel? Are Heys supposed to be decent durable luggage? I hate buying stuff that doesn't get used. We do travel, not a ton though.

If I am overlooking something, please let me know! I know a lot of you guys have bought stuff for your kids and I'd love to hear what you thought of what you bought-and if it got used.

Thanks in Advance!

We LOVE our pottery barn kids personalized luggage! We have had my daughters for several years and it is holding up nicely! And we do travel a ton!

I believe we got our son's 3 piece set from Kohl's. I say it has held up nicely (3 years), but we haven't put it on a plane yet! SW destroyed his last suitcase (ripped the canvas and broke a wheel off). His current set is wheeled, and has two outside storage pockets. It comes with a carry-on bag and a shaving-kit sized bag which we rarely use. I don't remember the exact price, but it was definitely under $100. I would classify his suitcase as carry-on size. It would probably fit in an overhead bin. He is 9 years old, and I think this suitcase would work for him for at least 3 more years, if it survives our flight in December! :scared1:

My older girls have 21" rolling suitcases. We use them twice weekly year round for their figure skating gear and then on trips too. We don't fly though.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in Advance!

My DD9 carries the large checked bag. She has for a couple of years. My DS4 carries the small Heys. I got it for $32 on clearance at Target. They also each carry their own backpack carryon. DH carries other large checked bag and I have the car seat.

Hope that helps.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in Advance!

I wouldn't go to any of these expensive stores, I also would see what Sears and Jc pennys has to offer. I know for a fact that American tourist, and Forcast are both sold at sears and are very good! We just bought a 7 piece set for $98 included 3 wheeled suitcases.

All of mine have been dragging a regular sized carry-on since the age of 4.

We have the largest sized wheeled totes that work in the overhead bins. (They were $50 at Marshalls I believe, and very nice quality)

They each wheel one of these and have a backpack.

They need help getting it in the bin, but a nice quality bag with good wheels shouldn't be difficult for a little one to maneuver.

I'm afraid with a wheeled back pack you'll wish you had something bigger soon.

Hey Sookie, What size PBK did you get, the smaller or larger? Can I ask what size kids you have? My oldest is very very large for her age (as big as a 10 yr old) and I am worried the handle would be too short. I do like their luggage and I have a coupon to use on top of their sale price, and the free shipping-so it's a nice deal and tempting.

Thanks to everyone-I am now looking at sears, jcpenney and will probably be skipping the backpacks on wheels.

I am glad to hear you guys turn your gang into mules, I think ours have been spoiled! (although our oldest pushes younger ones in strollers which has saved our butts countless times).

thanks everyone, and I'd still like any one else's thoughts!

SW destroyed his last suitcase (ripped the canvas and broke a wheel off).

They should reimburse you or give you comparable bag for the ripped canvas. All airlines have exclusions for wheels.

Marshalls has very nice luggage. I saw a Heys larger bag there on sale for $59.99, but I was out of town and didn't want to pay an extra luggage fee to get it home. I bought a Werner (Swiss Army) carry-on size for $100 on the same day.

I also have an LL Bean carry-on bag, which I selected because it was the max size for a carry-on. I like their guarantee as mentioned above.

Sheila

I have these for my girls (ages 6 and 8)...

http://www.ebags.com/product/travel...arry-on-luggage-set/120383?productid=10002164

I pack their clothes in packing cubes and fill the rolling bag. I also throw 1-2 outfits and their 3-1-1 bag into the other bag. Then, they can add whatever else they want to bring onboard the plane...video games, camera, etc. The rolling bag will qualify as a carry-on, but we'll check it if we upgrade to business class or if they offer to check it for free at the gate.

They are very lightweight and the colors are distinct, but not too trendy. DD6 has the blue and DD8 has the purple. I'm getting them packed for our trip in 6 days:banana:.

Hey Sookie, What size PBK did you get, the smaller or larger? Can I ask what size kids you have? My oldest is very very large for her age (as big as a 10 yr old) and I am worried the handle would be too short. I do like their luggage and I have a coupon to use on top of their sale price, and the free shipping-so it's a nice deal and tempting.

Thanks to everyone-I am now looking at sears, jcpenney and will probably be skipping the backpacks on wheels.

I am glad to hear you guys turn your gang into mules, I think ours have been spoiled! (although our oldest pushes younger ones in strollers which has saved our butts countless times).

thanks everyone, and I'd still like any one else's thoughts!

My daughter is 11 and my son is 5. We have the Fairfax. I believe we have the larger - but I thought at the time that we ordered the sets, that there was a small medium large. I looked online, and I think the comparable would be the large. I see there are patches with shape designs and they are VERY cute!
If you call pottery barn, they will talk you through dimensions and will know if they will fit in an overhead bin (if that is your goal). They are WONDERFUL on the phone. There is often codes out and if you get a movers pack at the post office / sign up for a code, you can get a 10% off coupon as well.
Hope this helps! I think they are worth the investment. My kids love them! It has more than enough room for my 11 year old and she overpacks both clothing and books / electronics!!!

I bought a set at Target and it is still going strong after ten years. We only average 4 flights a year. I pack all of our stuff on a larger bag and check it. I hate to carry a lot, plus the people that insist on only having carry ons fill up all the overhead bins. One large case on our airline is $20 each way.

Just wanted to post back what I ended up doing. After looking at a ridiculous amount of very positive reviews for the rockland 2-piece luggage, I waited for a good coupon at overstock and got 3 sets for $106. I was thinking of getting nicer luggage that would last but the reviews from many different sites all were SO positive, I ended up going cheap cheap. Thanks everyone, I never would have looked at the cheap stuff without your smarts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter