Luca

It comes out Friday.

Yeah, and I can't wait to see it. I kind of wish they wouldn't relegate Pixar to the "straight-to-video" market though, but I'm not complaining that there is no additional cost.

Wonder if this a bad sign for the film? I get that theaters used to be closed, and that when the release date was set, it might have been premature to sell the film to theaters. But the same way Soul was possibly too subpar to release in theaters (seemed more like a strictly adult film than something for young kids), I wonder if Disney/Pixar are worried about this as a full theatrical release and opted to just offer it for free in-home streaming. They had enough faith in Raya to offer that one for streaming purchase.

Wonder if this a bad sign for the film? I get that theaters used to be closed, and that when the release date was set, it might have been premature to sell the film to theaters. But the same way Soul was possibly too subpar to release in theaters (seemed more like a strictly adult film than something for young kids), I wonder if Disney/Pixar are worried about this as a full theatrical release and opted to just offer it for free in-home streaming. They had enough faith in Raya to offer that one for streaming purchase.

I'm not sure -they're still trying to get people locked into D+. Could be they know that locking us into that for a year(or whatever) is more lucrative than hoping you go to a theater to see these films -bust or not. Especially that it isn't a proven franchise. Disney has always been pretty good at math....

I'm not sure -they're still trying to get people locked into D+. Could be they know that locking us into that for a year(or whatever) is more lucrative than hoping you go to a theater to see these films -bust or not. Especially that it isn't a proven franchise. Disney has always been pretty good at math....
Yes, but Disney also used to be pretty good at putting out entertaining movies, too.

Last edited:
Yes, buy Disney also used to be pretty good at putting out entertaining movies, too.

No question it ebbs and flows ...30 years ago things weren't so hot either. If they put out 10 films and 3 are actually artistically and financially successful -I'm thinking that would be a pretty good average.

No question it ebbs and flows ...30 years ago things weren't so hot either. If they put out 10 films and 3 are actually artistically and financially successful -I'm thinking that would be a pretty good average.
A 30% average? My fourth grade teacher would disagree.

I enjoyed it. It's not up there with my beloved Up or the sheer brilliance that is Coco, but I liked the main characters, the lovely visuals, and the music, and I think it's one that is going to grow on me.
No spoilers here, but I loved the kind of "storybook illustrations" in the end credits that showed us more with the characters past the end of the movie.

I enjoyed it. It's not up there with my beloved Up or the sheer brilliance that is Coco, but I liked the main characters, the lovely visuals, and the music, and I think it's one that is going to grow on me.
No spoilers here, but I loved the kind of "storybook illustrations" in the end credits that showed us more with the characters past the end of the movie.

We really liked it--- loved the score !!! We are big Tremblay fans, and thought he did a great job as Luca- Its very slapstick, and my DS10 was cracking up every time someone got slapped (which was very often -- (in a cute way!)

Reactions: GAN
I finally watched Luca and I thought it was excellent, one of Pixar's best! I actually liked it more than I thought I would and it genuinely surprised me too. It's too bad it didn't get a bigger release.
Totally agree. I watched it last night and thought it was great -one of their best efforts. Loved the music and the setting ...and the mix in of the Italian language along with the "typical" families all Italians can recognize. Santa Mozzarella..... LOL!

I turned it off after 20 minutes. I was bored.
Slice of life stories are not my thing. I saw a video review and one of the downsides of the movies mentioned was that there are very low stakes in this movie. That's probably why it didn't hold my attention.

It looks amazing, but that was it for me.

Slice of life stories are not my thing. I saw a video review and one of the downsides of the movies mentioned was that there are very low stakes in this movie. That's probably why it didn't hold my attention.

I get that -many loved Inside Out and I just thought it was OK. Curious as to what you mean by "low stakes"? What movies have "high stakes".....

I get that -many loved Inside Out and I just thought it was OK. Curious as to what you mean by "low stakes"? What movies have "high stakes".....

Not a great evil or challenge to over come. Just follows people through their day to day life. Thats the "slice of life" type the PP mentioned.

That's fair, but I wouldn't really call it a "slice of life" story - at least not in the sense that it is often used for anime and such. It's really more of a straightforward Pixar adventure story.

Not a great evil or challenge to over come. Just follows people through their day to day life. Thats the "slice of life" type the PP mentioned.

I think watching through the end helps ...but that's just me

But, in Luca there is a challenge to overcome and a nemesis to defeat (not really a "great evil" but a clear "bad guy" for sure). There is purpose to what they are doing - granted it doesn't get to that until the boys arrive in the town, so it's a little slow to get rolling on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter