Lots more scooters riding the buses now

Do you realize you're suggesting WDW discriminate against individuals with mobility or stamina issues and their parties? Are you, as an apparently able-bodied person, willing to split your party into the same groups of two? How do you suggest they handle a party with one ECV, two total adults, and three toddlers?

Why in the world would you think it is acceptable to split up parties with disabled members, but not split up all groups?
No, it's not discrimination; it's not like they are not allowed on the bus; they are given previlege to board the bus by cutting ahead of the line, just NOT THE ENTIRE PARTY. The rest of the party, who are not handicapped, are to wait in line like everybody else.

Given that you are saying EVERY bus had scooters, it is unlikely that getting to the head of the line would be a large advantage for the scooter riders and their families. They are LESS likely to get on the first bus that comes along than you are.

I think that only allowing one other would be ridiculous. As pointed out above, it could be husband in scooter, wife, and 3 kids. I do think that allowing a family reunion to board with each scooter is a little much.

Why is it unlikely? That's when it's most likely. They get to board the bus before everybody else.
Disney only allowed a limited number to board the bus right now. I'm saying the limit should be raised to 1 person.

Most bus drivers are unwilling to confront a Guest. When a Guest makes a complaint against a cm, the Guest almost always wins, whether they're in the right or not.

If people don't like waiting for a chair to load, how would they like waiting for a manager & security to arrive to handle a recalcitrant Guest?
That's not true. The bus drivers don't hesitate to confront a guest. I've seen them yell at guests who push their strollers onto the bus, not knowing that it is not allowed. I got yelled at myself when I first went to WDW.

I don't think you realize how this een sounds but it sounds bad.

I don't think there are more people using scooters but rather that more people are realizing offsite scooter rentals are available for a much smaller price than Disney and so people are doing this instead of renting inside Disney theme parks scooters which cannot be taken out of the park.

Also people on scooters are put on the bus first because otherwise there would be too many people on the bus for the scooter to maneuver.

Suggesting that families be separated by perhaps a couple of buses is ridiculous.

Would you want your party separated? No and you'd just wait for the next bus but the person on the scooter is already on the bus so what choice would those families have if they waited in line and didn't get on that bus?

My opinion is this thread should be closed before the exchanges get heated.
Making a simple suggestion shouldn't be an excuse to close the thread. Your party can only be separated when the bus is full and the line is long. And people don't seem to realize that getting loaded ahead of the line is a previledge that is needed by handicapped people but not the rest. The people who travel with the handicapped automatically get seats in a full bus. How is that fair?

Given that you are saying EVERY bus had scooters, it is unlikely that getting to the head of the line would be a large advantage for the scooter riders and their families. They are LESS likely to get on the first bus that comes along than you are.

I think that only allowing one other would be ridiculous. As pointed out above, it could be husband in scooter, wife, and 3 kids. I do think that allowing a family reunion to board with each scooter is a little much.

If it's husband, wife and 3 kids the husband can go by himself and the wife can take the 3 kids. If the husband can't make it by himself the wife should not be going to WDW while having to care for a medically dependent husband AND 3 kids by herself. What happens when she is caring for her kids while her husband has a medical problem?

Do you realize you're suggesting WDW discriminate against individuals with mobility or stamina issues and their parties? Are you, as an apparently able-bodied person, willing to split your party into the same groups of two? How do you suggest they handle a party with one ECV, two total adults, and three toddlers?

Why in the world would you think it is acceptable to split up parties with disabled members, but not split up all groups?
You are not necessarily splitting up, it depends on how full the bus is and how big your party is. When the handicapped group is big enough, it is supposed to be split up either way. I'm suggesting that the number should be reduced to one or less, the one caring for the handicapped person. Otherwise, the entire large group of the handicapped person gets to cut ahead of the line and get seats while the rest of the people have to stand or wait for the next bus. The handicapped person is already taking up several body space, which is necessary, it is even more unfair for their party to get seats from others.

Even more, how would they like to be the person who needs to use the scooter knowing that able bodied people despise them?

I'm not talking about despising handicapped people. I'm talking about most of their party, who are not handicapped, should not get premium boarding out of them.

When the party is two adults, and a 6, 4, and 3 year old - which one goes with the ECV? What about when it's only one adult with two or more children?
When the party is 2 adults, the handicapped person can go alone. If that's not possible, then it is not reasonable to go to Disney world with one dependent handicapped person 3 more little kids. You need more people.

I mean, what if a person goes to Disney World alone with 3 little kids? Should they get priority seating on the bus too? No. I've done it.

You are 100% correct, so to be fair to all and treat everyone equally, do away with the priority board first process, and everyone gets in line first come/first serve. That way everyone is being treated equally. But IMHO that doesn't make much sense, though it would be equal treatment.

I'm not trying to kick the hornets nest, that's already been done in previous threads. But, I think what the OP was trying to say, and makes some sense is that those needing accommodations can pre-board with one other person, the rest of the party waits in line with the rest of the crowd. If they get on the bus that's wonderful, if not then they would need to wait. The person needing the accommodation would be assisted, no discrimination in my eyes.

Thank you. I'm sure this has been discussed before, it's just that in the past, it didn't seem like such a big deal, but this last summer something is different. The number of scooters have risen dramatically. When the effect of the scooters increases, it is only reasonable that Disney should control more stringently to avoid delays of the bus.

If it's husband, wife and 3 kids the husband can go by himself and the wife can take the 3 kids. If the husband can't make it by himself the wife should not be going to WDW while having to care for a medically dependent husband AND 3 kids by herself. What happens when she is caring for her kids while her husband has a medical problem?
what about having only 2 adults and a preschool child. my guess Disney will want someone with scooter if at all possible. so who is going with the preschooler? cant do a preschooler and the crowd unless you have child riding on scooter which is not safe. I think the 6 limit is a good number and should be stuck with by Disney. one other thing to think about with the increased numbers of scooters and splitting up groups where are all those scooter going to be waiting for rest of their party? you cant complain about having to get around them getting to where you are going which will be next

I don't think you realize how this een sounds but it sounds bad.

I don't think there are more people using scooters but rather that more people are realizing offsite scooter rentals are available for a much smaller price than Disney and so people are doing this instead of renting inside Disney theme parks scooters which cannot be taken out of the park.

Also people on scooters are put on the bus first because otherwise there would be too many people on the bus for the scooter to maneuver.

Suggesting that families be separated by perhaps a couple of buses is ridiculous.

Would you want your party separated? No and you'd just wait for the next bus but the person on the scooter is already on the bus so what choice would those families have if they waited in line and didn't get on that bus?

My opinion is this thread should be closed before the exchanges get heated.

It is not ridiculous; the splitting rule is already in; you are not supposed to bring your large party onto the bus with a scooter. I'm suggesting that the number of people accompanying the scooter should be reduced to one, that's all, to be more fair to other guests.

This is my biggest concern about moving from Pop to POFQ for our next trip. After reading so many scooter hate threads I expect no courtesy and consideration from resort guests at bus stops. Even at Pop, where there are lines, there were times we were waiting longer for a bus than mobile people and they were still complaining about scooters being loaded first. We are going to POFQ because even when it shares a bus, it loads first. I don't want to go to a resort where there are multiple bus stops as I fear ever being able to board a bus. My in laws used to stay at CB and the trip where they were the next to last bus stop they waited through as many as 6 busses with every one of them loading the people who were mobile. It is the only time I have ever heard my MiL complain about Disney, and it was the last trip they made a breakfast reservation.

This is not a hate scooter thread. It's not about hating scooters or handicapped people. I didn't say let's not load the scooter. I said allow one person to accompany the scooter while the rest join the line like others, to be fair. It will reduce hatred of the scooters, if anything.

You clearly have NO IDEA what it is like to NEED an ECV. I would give almost anything to not.
You don't know that I have no idea. Just because I suggest a more fair approach doesn't mean I'm full of hatred towards ECV users. I never said I didn't need an ECV or won't be needing one in the future. I'm fully planning on using an ECV in the near future, and in Disney when I need it. And when I do, I plan to get on the scooter with one person from my party and have the rest wait in line, even if Disney doesn't impose my suggestion here, to be more fair to others. I have a severally mentally handicapped person in my family (though physically OK and don't need a scooter), and that's the one I will have with me, only because he needs it.
Again, it's because the number of scooters that I'm talking about this. If there were just a few scooters once in a while like in the past, it's no big deal. But if the number of scooters continue to increase, Disney will have to do something about all the non handicapped people cutting ahead of the line and getting premium seats, while the little kids and the elderly has to stand.

I can honestly say that I have never known someone who used any kind of mobility device who did not need it. What would be the advantage of using an ECV if the person was capable of walking and standing all day? I mean, why would it be abused? Especially with the cost, bus waits you described, and general behavior of people that you described.

I see it more in the way that people like my mother-in-law who had a heart attack and surgery in February can now access the parks. She can stand and walk, but there is no way she could do it even a few hours at a theme park. I think ECVs have encouraged people like that to visit WDW when they would have just stayed home. The US also has a large aging population which is naturally going to impact the amount of people with mobility issues in general (and no, I am not discriminating against the elderly, just talking percentages).

I never said why there are more scooters in WDW. I merely noticed that there are. I never said it's a bad thing. I think scooters are a wonderful invention, enabling more people to get around as you say. I will likely be using a scooter soon myself. I'm merely saying that the group following the scooter for priority seating should be limited.

Wow. I think this wins as the most offensive post ever. Maybe people who are so impatient and lacking in even a little compassion should rent cars, rather than mingle with people who use Ecvs.

It really can be horrible. I feel like I get the Game Of Thrones “Shame” stare sometimes when I’m using my ECV. My disability is not visibly apparent. Be proud of those children...I was raised that way and have raised mine the same. I’m not saying I am not bothered by those who take advantage of the system...of course I am. They have somehow become representative of all of those using ECV assistance, and that is truly unfortunate. The benefit of the doubt truly does go a long way, and I think more understanding helps us all in the long run:)

That's just it. When a lot of people take advantage of the handicapped in their group and use it to cut ahead in the bus line, it causes shame for the handicapped because people are going to feel the unfairness: I get why the handicapped has to be loaded first, but what about his large able bodied family? But if the handicapped is allowed just one companion, it will reduce the unfairness and the resentment there is.

Ok. I’m going to say it. If waiting an addtl 5-8 mins and possibly having to stand on a bus is going to be an issue, then perhaps this type Transportation isn’t for you. You could rent a car, use Uber.
Disney is expected to provide ‘equal’ treatment to all its guests. This means that a family with someone using a scooter gets to board the bus together. There is signage at each bus stop suggesting that parties if more than 6 split up.
As I have said, repeatedly, I’m at WDW a lot. Probably spend at least 40-60 days a year there. The times I’ve seen two scooters on one are very limited. The number of times I’ve seen more than 5 or 6 family members boarding with an ECV are also limited.
I’m sorry you’ve had this experience. But there is no way Disney is going to limit the number of people boarding with that ecv guest to one. Just isn’t going to happen.

Wow. I think this wins as the most offensive post ever. Maybe people who are so impatient and lacking in even a little compassion should rent cars, rather than mingle with people who use Ecvs.
You are offensive in your lack of understanding and distorting what I say. I never said not wanting to "mingle with people who use ECVs." You made that up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter