Looking to buy first DVC contrast - first timer questions

LauraWDW44

Earning My Ears
Joined
Feb 27, 2021
We are a family of 6 looking to buy our first DVC contract. I have 4 boys 8, 8, 5, 1. We typically go for one week every year. We are struggling to figure out the best way to approach this. With the borrowing restrictions currently and not knowing when or if this will end I am somewhat reluctant to buy at 2 different resorts which was our original plan so we could alternate essentially between the 2 resorts depending on time of year we go. We tend to travel at various times of the year. Not sure if that will change though as my kids get a little older and can't miss as much school. My husband really wants BCV and/or CC which I am concerned about availability for 2 BR villas at both those locations. I always hear about how difficult it is to get studios, what about 2 BR? Is it difficult to get 2 BR at the 7 mo window? I'm leaning towards just buying at 1 resort with these borrowing restrictions, but would love to hear some thoughts/suggestions from current DVC owners. Thanks for any input/suggestions you have.
 

Divaofdisney

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 10, 2002
We are relatively new also, and I do agree with sticking to one resort for now- due to all of the current rules and restrictions. You can always add on later. I believe, and others can correct me if I am wrong, that the 2 BR's are a tad easier to get then the studios. They are extremely hard to get even at 11 months out. On BCV the contracts end in 2042 but for Copper Creek its longer- so you will have more time on that one- If those are your choices I would rather go with Copper Creek. Best of luck in your decision.
 

scbruno

Mouseketeer
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
If your staying at your home resort you can book at the 11 month window so you should have full availability of rooms. The borrowing restriction does tend to make reservations a little challenging right now and not knowing when or if it will be lifted can impact your decision of buying in one home resort or two. I always recommend buying where you want to stay and then you can always book at your home resort and then at the 7 month window look online and see what's available and modify your reservation. If your only a handful of points short at the 7 month window sometimes if they are available you can purchase one time use points and if I recall you can buy up to 24.
 

mamaofsix

DIS Veteran
Joined
Feb 8, 2017
2 bedrooms have way more availability at the 11 month mark, and even the 7 month mark, than studios.
 

Marionnette

Children see magic because they look for it
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
We are a family of 6 looking to buy our first DVC contract. I have 4 boys 8, 8, 5, 1. We typically go for one week every year. We are struggling to figure out the best way to approach this. With the borrowing restrictions currently and not knowing when or if this will end I am somewhat reluctant to buy at 2 different resorts which was our original plan so we could alternate essentially between the 2 resorts depending on time of year we go. We tend to travel at various times of the year. Not sure if that will change though as my kids get a little older and can't miss as much school. My husband really wants BCV and/or CC which I am concerned about availability for 2 BR villas at both those locations. I always hear about how difficult it is to get studios, what about 2 BR? Is it difficult to get 2 BR at the 7 mo window? I'm leaning towards just buying at 1 resort with these borrowing restrictions, but would love to hear some thoughts/suggestions from current DVC owners. Thanks for any input/suggestions you have.
Yes, your kids' schedules will change. Even summers became difficult travel periods for us due to football camp and practices for the high school team. Or there will be travel hockey or baseball, lacrosse, band, etc. So while choosing a UY is important, it's more about how you deal with your UY over the years that really matters.

2BR villas are second to studios in popularity. Part of the reason is because many 2BR villas are lockoffs (1BR + a studio). When a studio is reserved by a member, a 2BR lockoff becomes a 1BR villa for inventory purposes. This applies to all resorts with lockoffs but is especially significant at BWV where there are no dedicated 2BR villas.

CCV has a high percentage of dedicated 2BR villas (56) vs. lockoffs (36), giving you a better chance at securing a villa at 11 months. The problem at CCV is that they built those point-sucking cabins that added to the total number of points that could be sold. Yet few owners can actually book the cabins because they lack a sufficient number of points. And that increases competition for rooms at 11 months.

BCV is evenly split between dedicated and lockoffs but there are more 2BRs at the resort (78 dedicated + 74 lockoffs). BCV is one of those resorts where owners bought there in order to stay there. That makes booking there at 7 months much more difficult but not impossible. It also has a much shorter contract life and a ridiculously high price tag.

If I were in the market for more points, I don't know that either one of those resorts would be on my radar. But if those were the only two choices, I would go with CCV because of its longer contract.
 

EM Lawrence

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 17, 2018
There are room availability charts on this forum from an inactive user named @skierpete. If you do a quick search you can find them. He has left these boards and posts elsewhere. I can’t link to his updated information, but he shows that 2BR at CCV are generally available if you book at 11 months, with the exception of the first two weeks in December. Availability gets scarce at the 10 month mark for the Fall Frenzy (Oct-early Jan) and again in May/June. I would only buy CC if you plan to book right at the 11 month mark every year. On the plus side, there are a lot of CCV contracts on the market right now and I think it is a great value for the length of the contract and the fact that it is the last new resort not to suffer from the resale restrictions.

Two bedroom at BCV is a much easier category to book. But with the high price and the short contract, I would only buy there if it’s really where you want to stay a vast majority of the time. If that’s the case, then just buy BCV.
 

havoc315

DIS Veteran
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Remember.. for the most part, availability is a non-issue as long as you’re booking your home resort at the 11 month window. (There are some exceptions at the most crowded rimes of year. Standard studios at CCV have sometimes disappeared very quickly).

So when you’re buying and have several “favorite” resorts, the issue with availability becomes, you may want to buy at the resort with the worst availability, knowing you have a better chance of getting 7-month availability at the other resorts.

Of those 2 resorts, hard to say which would have worst 7-month 2BR availability. Though I’ll note, CCV has the 2 br cabins that tend to have 7-month availability.

On another note, I’d be weary of buying BCV right anymore. It still commands a high price by direct or resale. But with only 21 years left, the resale value will begin a steep decline at some point.
Buy now... and find you’re “done” and ready to re-sell in 10–15 years, May find the resale value worthless. Keep it for another 20 years and want to keep going.. it will expire.
 

The Jackal

DIS Veteran
Joined
Oct 24, 2017
Unfortunately for the OP they have the magical number of 6 people that forces you to a 2 bedroom. DVC has a several studios studios and most 1 bedrooms that sleep 5. CCV has a studio shortage, they are almost gone for 80% of the year at 11 months to the day at 0804 AM, due to all the points from the Cabins. 2 bedrooms have a lot more availability than studios, but if you want to stay at a small resort like VGF or BCV during a busy time of year, you’ll need the 11 month booking advantage of owning at that resort. CCV has more days available for 2 bedrooms in April 2021 than they have in October, November and December combined. But with this year it is hard to judge with all the extra points out there due to the virus. Good luck on your decision.
 

RoseGold

DIS Veteran
Joined
Jan 21, 2020
I'm assuming you are traveling off peak.

BC availability can be tight, because it's such a small resort. It only has like 80 2BRs, and its charts makes them so desirable. But you can walk and get them at 11 months.

2BR is usually bookable somewhere with SSR off peak. If you don't mind AKL or maybe BLT theme park pricing, SSR points might be a good option as sleep around points. They're at least low commitment, and you can sell when you are done. A BC contract I wouldn't even touch, unless you plan to run out the clock and really commit to going until 2042.

Another option might be BLT. It has so many categories, you'll at least be able to get something in the 2BR. Good point value, long contract, good chart, easy to sell.

I also think two Poly rooms is a good strategy for 6 people, but then you don't have the in-room laundry and kitchen, which might be deal breakers for your family, especially for that long of a stay.

I'm in the middle on CC. I don't care for its decor, so I never seriously looked into it, but it is a contract that should hold resale value. ROFR is not seriously in play right now, so there are deals to be had there. This is a completely different financial strategy than a BC contract. I'm not really sure how the two can go in the same sentence for consideration.
 
Last edited:

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Top