Local Disney Store told my sister that they won't be having Disney Dollars anymore...

Someone posted last week an 800# where you could order Disney Dollars sent to you in the mail. I didn't try it out but did write it down. When I find it :crazy: I'll post it. Did anyone else see it?

Well that stinks! We went to the new World of Disney store in NYC yesterday and they don't sell them either! And, as I understood it, that store IS still operated by Disney (like the WoD in DtD), not by The Children's Place? :confused:

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, they really did think that they were doing me a favour (it's not like I retired, I just transferred to another job within the company and not very far away, and there were definitely some other perks. The person who picked them LOVES Disney toys and has a whole room just for her toys - I never buy them, my Disney money goes towards my trips.)

Sadly Walmart and Target sell so much of the same things at better prices - I was going to buy a 3 yo her Cinderella dress at TDS with some of my $$$, but they were so much better price elsewhere.

Cheryl, by the way, I love your idea - as I was standing in the store a few weeks ago I was almost ready to hand them over to a stranger at the counter.....

The way I see it, it was $$$ I never had to begin with, so it was not money I was planning to spend. I'd rather have it make someone happy than sell them (either on Ebay or at a reduced rate)

And the new job certainly makes up for the 'loss' of the certificates! ;)

I had bought a DS gift cert to buy DD - it was abt a year ago, but it did work. FYI, I paid $425 fir $500 in gc...so yes, you would lose $$ but not too much.

Originally posted by hercamore
uh, what's this abou tchldren's place?

I have $200 on my Visa points card I wanted to get DD from the Disney store with.

herc.

You really wouldn't have to transfer points to get dollars. The single credit card would be a lot easier to keep up with and you can use the card for most anything you could use the paper dollars for.

Originally posted by bavaria
Cheryl, by the way, I love your idea - as I was standing in the store a few weeks ago I was almost ready to hand them over to a stranger at the counter.....

The way I see it, it was $$$ I never had to begin with, so it was not money I was planning to spend. I'd rather have it make someone happy than sell them (either on Ebay or at a reduced rate)

And the new job certainly makes up for the 'loss' of the certificates! ;)

I just left a job after 22years, wish someone had given me those Disney Gift Cards!
I noticed in your countdown that you are heading to see the "Mouse" soon, could you take the gift card with you and use it at The World of Disney Store there? Just a thought.

If you really, really, really can't use them...you could send them my way!!! :teeth: I'm going to WDW soon and I'm sure I could them! I'd even buy you something! ;)
My DD came home this weekend from college and during our little dinner on Sat. night, she gave me Disney Dollars for my birthday(last Thursday)...$20.00...Love that Kid, she really knows how to please her mom!! ;)

I called the 800 number on the Disney Direct website and was told as long as the stores say Disney Stores the Disney dollars will still be available and there are negotiations going on as we speak about what will and will not be available in these new stores.

I sure hate that to hear that these may not be available because when staying onsite, it was a wonderful way to save. Last year I stayed on site for only 3 days and had $300 in Disney Dollars along with many meal vouchers. It was nice to not spend any of my other monies for our week off site. Those Disney dollars came in handy. I spent all but $5. I wanted to do that again for our whole week on site and off site again next summer. You know buy $20 here and there. But hopefully in these negotiations Disney Dollars will still be available, if not I'll just pay over my bill and have them waiting for me when I get to Disney.

Disney Dollars can be used at the parks & resorts. I don't know if they are going to stop selling them at TDS once the exchange takes place, since I transferred from TDS to WDW in July.

i did have a similar experience to bavaria's when i did transfer. My mgr at my f/t job bought a $50 Disney Store gift card for me. Considering that I was transferring out of the stores and to Walt Disney World, she should have bought the Disney Dollars, but she was not thinking about that. BTW, you cannot purchase D$ with a gift card (I see someone suggested that). You also cannot use a Disney Store Gift card on WDW property. The gift card is for the stores, not the parks. The stores are in a different division from the parks. I would assume that you can still use the gift card at the catalog, but i am not sure how that would be handled once the sale is complete. I used some of my card buying various items, but still have some $$ left on it

I am sure once the sale is complete. everyone will know what's what.

I just called my local Disney Store (Willow Grove, PA), they said they still are selling Disney Dollars. I asked her to reserve some for me, and I will pick them up tonight. She said for now they are still selling them, but she did not know what was going to happen in the future.

I am really bummed, I use DD for allowance for my children, half DD and half dollars. And I wanted to give them some for Christmas.

It really is a great way to save for my trips to WDW.

Originally posted by doombuggy
BTW, you cannot purchase D$ with a gift card (I see someone suggested that).
You also cannot use a Disney Store Gift card on WDW property. The gift card is for the stores, not the parks. The stores are in a different division from the parks.

WOW Doombuggy....I didn't know that...I assumed you could use your Disney gift cards at the World of Disney Store in the Marketplace...but you can't huh? And if someone gives you a gift card, you can't purchase DD at a local store either..WOW... Learn something everyday..thanks for the tips! ;)

Yes, the info is correct that gift certs from the TDS can only be used at TDS, not online or at WDW. They cannot be used for Ddollars or park tickets. Items purchased with gift certs will be refunded with store credit, not cash.

And to make matters worse, as some of you know, I live in Canada and these are CANADIAN gift certs (hence the certs vs cards, they never made it to Canada at TDS)

I did find a manager in the US who would agree to exchange them at a terrible exchange rate (the dollar is now $1.22 but was about $1.50 at the start of the year, and TDS is still using that rate). But I would still be stuck having to buy merchandise at TDS.

So for the person who wanted me to send them, they'll make nice wall paper or an addition to your scrapbook!

I am still probably going to go Cheryl's suggestion and put them to a better use for someone else... but thanks everyone for the ideas! I got a little worked up about this for an hour or so early in the summer, and then put them away.

Yes, the info is correct that gift certs from the TDS can only be used at TDS, not online or at WDW. They cannot be used for Ddollars or park tickets. Items purchased with gift certs will be refunded with store credit, not cash.

Both of the Disney Stores I go to have turned my DS gift cards into Disney Dollars - in fact I did it last week in Costa Mesa. They had a ton of Disney Dollars. It must depend on which store you shop.

And to make matters worse, as some of you know, I live in Canada and these are CANADIAN gift certs (hence the certs vs cards, they never made it to Canada at TDS)

too bad I'm not planning a trip to Canada anytime soon I'll take them off your hands and just buy some stuff in Canada.

Hmm....I buy Disney $'s all the time. So much so that the employees know me & when they see me walk into the store they immediately get them out (so sad, aren't I) :rolleyes:

I was just in there on Friday to buy more & they didn't say a word to me. In fact, I know that one of the CM's is on the DIS sometimes. (can't remember her screen name :o ).

I just found this information on the Disneystore.com website...
Where can I redeem my Disney Store Gift Card?
Your Disney Store Gift Card is redeemable online at Disneydirect.com, through the Disney catalog, or at any Disney Store location in the United States.

How do I redeem my Disney Store Gift Card at Disneydirect.com?
At Disneydirect.com, simply enter the Disney Store Gift Card number found on the back of the card in the Gift Card Information box on the payment page along with a credit card number (required for Gift Card purchases at Disneydirect.com). If the total of your purchase exceeds the amount on your Disney Store Gift Card, the balance will be charged to your credit card. Please note: you may only use one Gift Card per order.

How do I redeem my Disney Store Gift Card through the Disney catalog?
At the time of payment, simply provide the Disney catalog Cast Member with your Disney Store Gift Card number, found on the back of your card. If your purchase total exceeds the amount on your Disney Store Gift Card, you may pay for the balance with a credit card.

How do I redeem my Disney Store Gift Card at a Disney Store location?
To redeem your Disney Store Gift Card at a Disney Store location in the United States, simply use your Disney Store Gift Card to purchase merchandise as if you were using a credit card. If the total of your purchase exceeds the amount on your Disney Store Gift Card, you may pay for the balance with cash, check or credit card.

If you prefer to mail your Disney catalog order, complete an Order Form and provide your Disney Store Gift Card number, found on the back of your card, as the method of payment. A personal check will be required for any balance greater than the amount of the Disney Store Gift Card.

Does my Disney Store Gift Card have an expiration date?
No, Disney Store Gift Cards have no expiration date.

Who do I contact if I have a problem with my Disney Store Gift Card?
Please call Guest Services at 800-328-0368 for any problems with the processing of your Disney Store Gift Card.

Can the Disney Store Gift Card be purchased internationally?
No. At this time, Disney Store Gift Cards are currently available for Domestic delivery only through the Disney catalog and Disneydirect.com, and are only available at Disney Store locations in the United States.

Hope some of this helps you bavaria, so you can purchase something online for yourself or someone else! Maybe you could get yourself a nice sweatshirt for your trip to Disney! Good Luck!

Thanks for finding all that info, but the kicker is the fact that they are Canadian. My sister used to buy thousands of beanies from TDS and the catalog and somehow the catalog process changed (I think that the shipping became outrageous)

Interesting that some stores do things one way, others another. I think that I will try again next week in Seattle and see what happens....

If not, someone is getting a nice Disney gift for Christmas! ;)

I was at the disney store Thursday night and asked the CM there about disney dollars. He said yes they are selling them now but what he has noticed in the "disney stores" and at walt disney world is that they are selling the left overs from previous years. Not used dollars but just ones they didn't sell. He said there is no word on when if at all they will get 2005 bills. He said he got one from walt disney world from like 1985. Interesting. Just means I need to spend my $250 in disney cash when I'm down there in december... I think I can manage that, lol

I didn't say anything to you because we don't know what is going on. They have not told us anything. Sorry!!! Side note, Friday was my last day, so I will only see you on the boards. ºoº :earsgirl:

Originally posted by macs4us
Both of the Disney Stores I go to have turned my DS gift cards into Disney Dollars - in fact I did it last week in Costa Mesa. They had a ton of Disney Dollars. It must depend on which store you shop.
You're right. It must depend on which store, because I also used a DS gift card to buy Disney Dollars not too long ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter