Living Naturally?

I wouldn't say that about a McDonald's anything in 1,000 years either, but falafel, oil, etc., were food before there were manufactured chemical additives, industrial processing equipment, etc.

Rice wasn't food until someone could cultivate, harvest, process it and harness fire and make a vessel to cook it in. If you see what I mean.

Heck, olives aren't really food until they're fermented, cured or brined, which is processing, so I dunno that olives should count as natural under your system, heh.

I have no idea who the guy is but if he thinks oil is unnatural I dunno that I want to.

I'll give you the basics and if you are interested in more information, you can read the book. If it doesn't interest you, no big deal. I'm not debating the info. It is out there to read and research if you wish.

The premise is that oil contains NOTHING but fat and a tiny bit of vitamin E. We get fat in almost every food we consume. Heck, even a piece of celery has a bit of fat in it. Of course we know that meat and dairy contain fat but so do whole grains and vegetables. Nobody is saying the body doesn't need fat. However, the premise that oil, 100% pure fat without any other nutritional value, is the best way to get fat in your diet, is silly.

Beyond that, there is a great deal of research that shows how much damage oil can do to a person's arteries if you care to read about it.

I have not read singer. I still have a B&N gift card and am looking for some good material. My next book is going to be China Study. I will add Singer to my list.

I'm also looking for some easy vegan recipes. Vegan For Life talked a lot about Tempeh and I'm trying to find a recipe for it that isn't too sauce heavy.

Try
www.theppk.com

www.vegandad.blogspot.com

Vegan ronin blog

About this:

If he won't budge - more videos, he'll budge! Also take him to a nice farm sanctuary to meet a rescued cow or such - then tell him that's fine, he can prepare and eat whatever, he's a grownup, but you and any theoretical kids will be having something different at the same table.

Don't bet on it. I've been shown every video that my SIL can come up with, and I'm still fine with eating meat of all kinds. What she can't wrap her mind around is that I grew up largely living off the land, and I don't have a problem with killing animals for food, whether I do it myself or let someone else do it for me. My family have been raising animals for slaughter for over 400 years. All of the shock tactics in the world won't stop me from eating meat.

FWIW, my kids learned to kill and clean animals as I did, at a very early age; there will be no squeamishness about where food comes from in my house. Wild-found food is by definition natural, and a lot of it comes from animals. I've got opposable thumbs and I can handle a bow or a crab trap or a seine net. I don't torture prey for fun -- I eat what I catch, which happens to be MY ethical line.

I'm not going to slam you for eating the way that you want to, but be aware that I and the OP's husband have just as much right to eat the way that we want to as well. I can guarantee you that if my DH tried to coerce me to eat a vegan diet or ban animal products from my home, I *would* end the marriage. Adopting Veganism would be a deal-breaker for me, just like taking up smoking would be. I can be friends with a Vegan or a smoker, but I won't live with either one.

If God didn't want me to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

I can be friends with a Vegan or a smoker, but I won't live with either one.

Best Dis quote ever!:lmao: I just so happen to agree you. We also raise and hunt most of our meat and I never intend to give it up.

And this is why fat is "natural." Not saying frying up your veggies in oil is "healthy" but to say that is it not "natural" is untrue.

Oil isn't in its original state. It has been manipulated to become oil. Not that that is wrong, I just see it as a byproduct of something else and not "natural." And just because something is actually natural doesn't mean it is the best way to nourish our bodies. We don't purposely douse our foods with naturally occurring arsenic.

About this:

Don't bet on it. I've been shown every video that my SIL can come up with, and I'm still fine with eating meat of all kinds. What she can't wrap her mind around is that I grew up largely living off the land, and I don't have a problem with killing animals for food, whether I do it myself or let someone else do it for me. My family have been raising animals for slaughter for over 400 years. All of the shock tactics in the world won't stop me from eating meat.

FWIW, my kids learned to kill and clean animals as I did, at a very early age; there will be no squeamishness about where food comes from in my house. Wild-found food is by definition natural, and a lot of it comes from animals. I've got opposable thumbs and I can handle a bow or a crab trap or a seine net. I don't torture prey for fun -- I eat what I catch, which happens to be MY ethical line.

I'm not going to slam you for eating the way that you want to, but be aware that I and the OP's husband have just as much right to eat the way that we want to as well. I can guarantee you that if my DH tried to coerce me to eat a vegan diet or ban animal products from my home, I *would* end the marriage. Adopting Veganism would be a deal-breaker for me, just like taking up smoking would be. I can be friends with a Vegan or a smoker, but I won't live with either one.

I never said anyone doesn't have the right to eat meat. It'd be a dealbreaker for me as well - well, not strictly true, someone could eat meat, but I don't allow meat in the house.

I also wasn't suggesting 'shock tactics,' but information. Many, many people don't know. They don't know what goes on on factory farms, they don't know what goes on in slaughter houses, or they don't know things about animals themselves.

I've known plenty of people who, when they found out one of those things, rethought things about their interactions with animals, one way or another. You don't feel that way, :confused3, that's your perogative. However, I didn't mean just 'look, things are killed!' A lot of people don't even get that, say, chickens are really social animals, further yeah, many don't get the conditions involved and don't like one or both of those factors.

As for the oil.... does he mention the damage glucose does to arterial lining? Isn't glucose responsible for most damage? I just don't quite buy that olive = fine, squished olive = bad for you...

I never said anyone doesn't have the right to eat meat. It'd be a dealbreaker for me as well - well, not strictly true, someone could eat meat, but I don't allow meat in the house.

I also wasn't suggesting 'shock tactics,' but information. Many, many people don't know. They don't know what goes on on factory farms, they don't know what goes on in slaughter houses, or they don't know things about animals themselves.

I've known plenty of people who, when they found out one of those things, rethought things about their interactions with animals, one way or another. You don't feel that way, :confused3, that's your perogative. However, I didn't mean just 'look, things are killed!' A lot of people don't even get that, say, chickens are really social animals, further yeah, many don't get the conditions involved and don't like one or both of those factors.

As for the oil.... does he mention the damage glucose does to arterial lining? Isn't glucose responsible for most damage? I just don't quite buy that olive = fine, squished olive = bad for you...

The only people that I know that feel like one should eat unlimited amounts of olives are those that believe in the Mediterranean Diet. If you are referring to Dr. Esselstyn, I don't believe he supports eating large quantities of olives, squished or otherwise. I'm not trying to suggest that an olive is going to kill you. It won't. However, if you are hungry, there are certainly better options than something that is high in fat and sodium and low (2% or less) in a few other nutrients that are easily obtained from other sources. A poptart won't kill you either but there are better choices.

If you are ever interested, read his book or at least look at the pictures in the book! They are amazing. Bear in mind that he took the sickest of the sick when it came to his patients. They were the patients that other cardiologists told to go home and prepare for their death because surgery and drugs wouldn't help them. These are patients that had 90 - 99% blockage and they all went on to live very long, healthy lives. If you don't believe in it, no problem but, at minimum, it is an interesting read.

If God didn't want me to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

:thumbsup2

Also, if we didn't consume these animals, do you think their predators worry about cruelty when they kill them?

Humans were designed by nature to be omnivores, we have teeth to tear up meet and its been a way of life for thousands of years, therefore, hand me that steak, if you're not going to eat it.

so are you saying if your husband took up a Vegan diet even not trying to coerce you to join, you would divorce him??? wow!

I happen to think that eating meat, IF it comes from local farms, NOT a factory farm is fine if that is what you choose. or if you hunt and eat what you kill.
my dh is NOT vegan or vegetarian, I am, he eats meat I buy at a local farm, where the cows are raised on pasture, not a factory farm. I don't feel bad about this even though I don't eat it.

it isn't hard to serve a meal that is for the vegan and meat eater in the house. we do it all the time. my husband eats plant based 95% of the time, but on the occasion he wants meat or chicken, as long as it comes local its fine with me.

I just find it shocking that you would leave your spouse if he decided to eat a Vegan diet!

so are you saying if your husband took up a Vegan diet even not trying to coerce you to join, you would divorce him??? wow!

I happen to think that eating meat, IF it comes from local farms, NOT a factory farm is fine if that is what you choose. or if you hunt and eat what you kill.
my dh is NOT vegan or vegetarian, I am, he eats meat I buy at a local farm, where the cows are raised on pasture, not a factory farm. I don't feel bad about this even though I don't eat it.

it isn't hard to serve a meal that is for the vegan and meat eater in the house. we do it all the time. my husband eats plant based 95% of the time, but on the occasion he wants meat or chicken, as long as it comes local its fine with me.

I just find it shocking that you would leave your spouse if he decided to eat a Vegan diet!

No, what I said was that if he attempted to coerce me to adopt the lifestyle or ban animal products from the house I would end the marriage. Congratulations on managing to be vegan and not alienate your spouse; in my experience it destroys a marriage every time when one spouse bans all animal products from a communal home where they were previously eaten and worn. (FTR, I have *never* known a vegan who would tolerate the presence of meat in his or her fridge or touching communal cooking utensils. All of the vegans that I have ever known will not allow meat in the house. Which is fine for their homes, but it would not be fine for a home in which I lived.)

Not that DH would ever become vegan; I absolutely promise you that won't happen, because he is very fond of his Italian-made shoes. ;)

No, what I said was that if he attempted to coerce me to adopt the lifestyle or ban animal products from the house I would end the marriage. Congratulations on managing to be vegan and not alienate your spouse; in my experience it destroys a marriage every time when one spouse bans all animal products from a communal home where they were previously eaten and worn.

Not that DH would ever become vegan; I absolutely promise you that won't happen, because he is very fond of his Italian-made shoes. ;)

I apologize I misread your post. I went back and re-read it, I must have read too fast the first time! Sorry:goodvibes

Yes, my dh and I have been married almost 25 yrs and we have respect for each other, he eats vegan things I make, I cook meat for him. I don't try to coerce. The reason I insist on local produced meats are because it is healthier for the planet, the person eating the meat, and the animal before it dies.

Thanks for the book info, like you ALWAYS trying to reduce the food bill. My DH is a big meat eater but lately he's been trying any foods I order at the restaurant and twice he has said "you order the best things"!

I am not interested in banning meat from the house or coercing my husband. Am I hoping he will be willing to adopt it? Yes. I worry about his health. Right now he does not have health issues, however he is considered overweight and believes that there's no way he could be what is considered a healthy weight for his height. After reading the studies, I do worry about the affect his diet as on him. He is a very meat and potatoes kind of guy. The only veggies he eats are the starchy kind. He's not a fan of adventurous food which is kind of a running joke in his family and he believes he won't feel full without meat.

That said, he is willing to try new things. We had a lot of "unusual" food on our Disneymoon (Moroccan, African, tea) which was huge for him. Last night he ate a vegan "pepperoni" pizza and agreed that it was actually pretty good. I was talking to him about the research on casein and he said that it makes him not want to drink milk anymore. (He normally has 2-3 glasses a day). If he joins me, great, if not, he can eat how he wants. We already don't cook for eachother because what he eats is stuff that I can't eat really eat anyway.

I really am not looking to debate if people should eat meat or not, just suggestions on how to go meatless and how to live more sustainably and responsibly.

I haven't seen this book yet but would like to check it out. since we are always looking for ways to decrease the food bill!
Eat Vegan on $4 a Day

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Vegan-4-0...2571/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330801834&sr=8-1

I thought it was worth the read but bear in mind that prices and availability vary from city to city. Some people can buy sweet potatoes on a regular basis for .29 cents a pound and I am lucky to pay .99 cents a pound when they are on sale. Some people have access to bulk food type stores and can get things like oatmeal and lentils in bulk. Some of us don't have anything even close to that nearby. But it is worth checking out because even one or two tips can make a difference.

I thought it was worth the read but bear in mind that prices and availability vary from city to city. Some people can buy sweet potatoes on a regular basis for .29 cents a pound and I am lucky to pay .99 cents a pound when they are on sale. Some people have access to bulk food type stores and can get things like oatmeal and lentils in bulk. Some of us don't have anything even close to that nearby. But it is worth checking out because even one or two tips can make a difference.

you are correct. I also live someplace with high grocery prices. I can get things in bulk, but it means traveling 45 min to an hour to either Whole Foods, or travel 30 min to a smaller higher cost health food grocery. our local one does not carry bulk.

I just figured if the recipes are inexpensive they are most likely simple and easy too, and I like simple and easy. I dislike recipes with a laundry list of ingredients!

here is another book, I have this one and the recipes are easy and yummy
The Happy Herbivore ( she also has a blog if you google happy herbivore)
http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Herbivore-Cookbook-Delicious-Fat-Free/dp/1935618121

Isa Chandra's ( last name spelling is not coming to me) books are awesome too. ( she is the ppk that I posted about earlier)
Vegan with a Vengeance, great book, also has recipes that your meat eating hubby would love. Mine does. there is a tempeh sausage that is soooooo good. I put it in lasagna, with tofu ricotta, and everyone loves it.

I just figured if the recipes are inexpensive they are most likely simple and easy too, and I like simple and easy. I dislike recipes with a laundry list of ingredients!

Have you ever checked out Jeff Novick's DVD's? He has a "fast food" DVD that is terrific! I highly recommend it along with his other dvd's. 15 minute meals with a handful of ingredients that taste terrific and are easily adaptable to your own tastes. He also posts some of his recipes on his Facebook page and his You Tube videos are great.

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Fast_Food.html

Have you ever checked out Jeff Novick's DVD's? He has a "fast food" DVD that is terrific! I highly recommend it along with his other dvd's. 15 minute meals with a handful of ingredients that taste terrific and are easily adaptable to your own tastes. He also posts some of his recipes on his Facebook page and his You Tube videos are great.

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Fast_Food.html

Thanks!! I am watching his you tube vids right now. glad you posted this :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter