Live From the May Repositioning Cruise

While Cove Cafe looked so inviting with the lovely chairs... it was so smoke filled we stayed away. We were fortunate that no one around our cabin balcony was a smoker. We were able to spend many relaxing hours smoke free out on our verandah. :sunny: It would have been disappointing if we had paid for a verandah and then not gotten to use it!

As far as excursions...

We did the Outback Adventure in Curacao... What FUN... Highly recommended Great scenery and loved seeing the bat caves. We shared our jeep with Brian + Debbie. (Great driving Debbie!) It was GREAT FUN!

We did the Acapulco Highlights Tour... Good... saw a lot. Due to the fact that they had a lot of tours meeting at the same jewelry shop prior to the special Diving Show... it was shoulder-to-shoulder while in the store... would recommend this tour.

In Mazatlan we did the Sierra Madre Tour... a LONG tour, but the bus was airconditioned! We both loved this tour simply because it showed a side of Mexico far from the city, one which we would have never seen on our own. bakery (free fresh pastries), tile-making (free sample), pottery making (free sample) lunch was homemade and very good.

We did a non-Disney ATV excursion in Cabo San Lucas. This was our favorite excursion hands-down, because it was all DISers, the scenery was beautiful, and riding ATVs was something we had never done before (and this was challenging for us, but didn't push us beyond our comfort level). We all watched out for each other and had a blast! :moped:

I was only bothered by the smoke ouside the cove, no where else. I just walked in the other door to the cove. Never had a problem by the pool, bars, clubs anything. And I usually steer very clear of any smoke, just didn't find much of it to steer clear of.

bonzie1 said:
We did a non-Disney ATV excursion in Cabo San Lucas. This was our favorite excursion hands-down, because it was all DISers, the scenery was beautiful, and riding ATVs was something we had never done before (and this was challenging for us, but didn't push us beyond our comfort level). We all watched out for each other and had a blast! :moped:

Do you remember the name of the company? Would it be appropriate for 12 yo boys?

Thanks

lotsofboys said:
Do you remember the name of the company? Would it be appropriate for 12 yo boys?

Thanks

There was an article, "Excursions with Grumbo," in the April 15th edition of the SOF newsletter that gave some info on this excursion. The company is Desert Park ATV. website:http://www.loscabosguide.com/activity/despark.htm

We're planning on a snorkel trip in Cabo, so I haven't done any research on this.

Hi....I'm a lurker coming out of the shadows. I've really LOVED reading this thread. I'm on the August repo cruise and it's doing a fantastic job of getting me more and more and more excited!!!!

I was wondering if someone on board could tell me what the suggested tips are for the servers and so forth on the 14 day cruise so I can get my tip money saved in advance? (Also, do the people taking care of the cabins like small gifts left for them ...in addition to, not instead of....tips? I've thought about bringing along some extra Bath & Body little gifts and such but don't want to offend anyone.) :earboy2:

DisMagicFan said:
Hi....I'm a lurker coming out of the shadows. I've really LOVED reading this thread. I'm on the August repo cruise and it's doing a fantastic job of getting me more and more and more excited!!!!
I was wondering if someone on board could tell me what the suggested tips are for the servers and so forth on the 14 day cruise so I can get my tip money saved in advance? (Also, do the people taking care of the cabins like small gifts left for them ...in addition to, not instead of....tips? I've thought about bringing along some extra Bath & Body little gifts and such but don't want to offend anyone.) :earboy2:

Here is a tip calculator that you can use - just put in your information and it calculates it for you.

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip

IMHO - they don't want gifts in lieu of money. The tips is what they support their families on. They do not get a salary. But gifts along with the tips would be accepted (I did that on my Panama Canal cruise and our room steward was very grateful).

Welcome DisMagicFan,

I was also a lurker until recently. This board is great. They make you feel that you are in big and magical family. Thanks.

The tips that I paid was always based as per 7 days. As to 14 days, I am aslo trying to figure it. :flower:

Fourteen is easy for tips. It's two times seven. Just double the seven day tips and you should be fine. However from what I heard from other posters, be sure to take extra cause the service was great - even for DCL.

This was posted on another thread by AZ Pirates:

These were the suggested amounts for the May Repositioning cruise:

Server $51.50
Asst. Server $37.50
Head Server $13.00
Stateroom Host $50.50

Those amounts are per person and you do tip the same for children as adults.
For our group of 6 suggested tips came to $915.00!
We actually tipped over that amount.
:wizard:

Also we had some $1 and $2 bills on hand for room service tips.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

For all of us who are counting the days, hours, minutes, seconds (and maybe even nano-seconds) until we get to leave, can you answer any or all of the following with regards to the repo cruise:

1. How many formal and semi-formal nights were there? (I've been on the 4 day cruise and know what a formal night is, but am curious about the semi-formal night.)

2. Is there any way to know in advance which nights are formal? (In order to know when to make Palo res.)

3. Is/are there character breakfast(s)?

4. Were there any "special" picture packages, or just the regular ones from the other cruise lengths?

5. What were the custom limits for purchases outside the U.S. (or is there a reference guide somewhere we can look at)

6. Did anyone do the cel painting in the Oceaneers Lab? I've done the "Inside Animation" tour (before they cancelled it) and it was hands down one of my all-time favorite events at Disney. They had a pre-printed outline of Mickey and provided each guest with a small set of cel vinyl paint pots (similar to the oil painting kits you buy for kids) that we could take with us. (I've been trying for 4 years to find a place to buy more but have failed.) I'm guessing there's no way they could get this extravagant with the volume of people on a cruise, but I'm just dying to know what it's like...

7. Was there any special merchandise at Castaway Cay for the repo cruisers?

8. I've seen the term "fish mail" referenced on this board and a few others....what is it?

9. Given that the internet access was as backed up as it was, would those who paid for the "unlimited access" do it again, given the hindsight? I don't know if I want to spend that much money if I'm not going to get to use the service.

10. What's the number one thing that you would say August cruisers should remember to pack....anything you realized you wanted and didn't bring, or forgot, etc?

:jumping1:

DisMagicFan said:
For all of us who are counting the days, hours, minutes, seconds (and maybe even nano-seconds) until we get to leave, can you answer any or all of the following with regards to the repo cruise:

1. How many formal and semi-formal nights were there? (I've been on the 4 day cruise and know what a formal night is, but am curious about the semi-formal night.)

2. Is there any way to know in advance which nights are formal? (In order to know when to make Palo res.)

4. Were there any "special" picture packages, or just the regular ones from the other cruise lengths?

5. What were the custom limits for purchases outside the U.S. (or is there a reference guide somewhere we can look at)

6. Did anyone do the cel painting in the Oceaneers Lab? I've done the "Inside Animation" tour (before they cancelled it) and it was hands down one of my all-time favorite events at Disney. They had a pre-printed outline of Mickey and provided each guest with a small set of cel vinyl paint pots (similar to the oil painting kits you buy for kids) that we could take with us. (I've been trying for 4 years to find a place to buy more but have failed.) I'm guessing there's no way they could get this extravagant with the volume of people on a cruise, but I'm just dying to know what it's like...

8. I've seen the term "fish mail" referenced on this board and a few others....what is it?

9. Given that the internet access was as backed up as it was, would those who paid for the "unlimited access" do it again, given the hindsight? I don't know if I want to spend that much money if I'm not going to get to use the service.

10. What's the number one thing that you would say August cruisers should remember to pack....anything you realized you wanted and didn't bring, or forgot, etc?

1. There were 2 formal and 1 semi-formal. I guess the semi-formal is best described as somewhere between formal and casual?!? I saw some suits but mostly nice dress shirts with ties or with jackets and no ties.

2. I find it on DISboards. I believe people here find out by calling DCL though.

3. Yes, there is one. It will be a certain morning at Parrot Cay. You will be given a ticket that has your time and date at the bottom. You will be seated with your tablemates just like a regular dinner.

4. As best as I can tell, there were just the normal picture packages. I could be wrong as I never bought that many. They did have special pictures taken at ports that were put with nice backgrounds commemorating the ship going to that port.

5. Don't know. Sorry!

6. I didn't but some people did. It was on a special night where they opened the lab up to us big kids. I'm pretty sure it was a special (non-planned) thing and heard it was because there were so few kids on board.

7. Yes but all the good stuff was gone the first day. It was a very touchy subject as people were buying loads of merchandise to be resold later. There were shirts, hats, coins, post cards, magnets, framed maps, etc.

8. The fish is basically your mailbox. It is a small fish mounted on the wall outside your door that is a clip used to hold mail. Before this cruise, I've only had mine used for notes from DCL to me (usually a billing problem :rolleyes1 )

9. I never used it so I can't say.

10. I actually overpacked so I'm not the best person to ask. I would make sure you have lots of small bills (1, 5, 10) to use in ports to make sure you don't get a lot of change back in foreign currency. Also make sure you bring sunblock in your carry-on. We packed it with our checked luggage and got a little burned during the sailaway party until our luggage got delivered. I would also say to find a way to pack an empty suitcase or duffel bag for all the souvenirs you get. We packed two and ended up filling them both. You should also learn the weight and number of pieces of luggage your airline allows and weigh your luggage before you leave to avoid any expensive surprises!

-steve

DisMagicFan said:

Bear in mind that many things may be changed for the August cruise. Do not see any of this as being "law."

1. 2 formal and one semi-formal, one tropical, one pirate night, and a bunch of casual

2. Call DCL because I'm sure those nights may change from what they were in May. The formal nights were timed to go with the Golden Mickeys and the premier of Twice Charmed.

3. One character breakfast - you'll get tickets in your room on the first day. As far as booking around Palo brunch, I think you just have to hope for the best. Both will only occur on sea days.

4. There were larger picture packages. I think we started with a 15-pic package. As usual, you can change your package at the end if you get fewer pics.

5. Customs limits are $800 per person and one liter of alcohol per person. Don't remember tobacco off the top of my head as we didn't purchase any.

6. We saw the cel painting. Didn't get a chance to try it though. We were too tired and went to bed.

7. Not that I can remember, just onboard merchandise (what was left of it, anyways)

8. That's just when you get little notes from Guest Services and the like on those fish holders outside your door.

9. I would. But we needed it for work, so it kinda depends on what you'd be using it for. It will still be more cost effective than actual minutes if you have to use it a lot. And if you don't HAVE to use it, why are you bothering in the first place? I also think it's very likely that wireless will be up by August. It was actually already working onboard for crew, but they aren't quite ready for guests yet. I think that will be available very soon. Diane (the cruise booking and internet access cast member) told us there was a slim chance it could become available during our cruise, but that didn't happen.

10. I don't recommend the poster tube for the litho. It was huge. We didn't dare roll it up to try and fit into the tube we'd brought. You either need to bring a VERY fat tube or plan to stop by a shipping place.

PANAMA CANAL SOUVENIR DVD

Whew! Finally made it back from Disneyland and back to reality! We had a great time and enjoyed meeting many of you while on the cruise. We'd also like to thank everyone for the sweet little gifts that kept appearing in our fish extender. That was a brilliant idea!

I'd love to make this a free gift to everyone, but unfortunately, the cost of shipping would put it a little out of reach. So, I'll offer one free DVD per stateroom (not including shipping costs), and if you'd like more than one DVD, I'll let you know the materials costs for those. Depending on the number of discs that are used, it will probably be around $1.50 for any additional DVDs. I won't know that for sure until I've finished it.

For shipping, I plan on going with flat-rate Priority Mail envelopes to simplify things. That's $3.85 in the US, $7.00 for Canada and Mexico, and $9.00 for other locations around the world. Just to give you a heads up.

Right now, I need photos and video from you all. You can send digital photos on a CD or data DVD or still photos (which I can scan). Video can be sent on a VHS cassette (NTSC), copied onto a DVD, or on original mini DV tapes. If you have any questions, please let me know. My e-mail is nejthelion@earthlink.net. Please send me a message when you send things so that I can keep an eye out for them and let you know when they've been received. Also, feel free to pass on any music suggestions

Here's the address for sending materials:

Jen Stamey
407 East 90th Street, Apt. 8
New York, NY 10128

NejTheLion said:
Bear in mind that many things may be changed for the August cruise. Do not see any of this as being "law."

1. 2 formal and one semi-formal, one tropical, one pirate night, and a bunch of casual

2. Call DCL because I'm sure those nights may change from what they were in May. The formal nights were timed to go with the Golden Mickeys and the premier of Twice Charmed.

3. One character breakfast - you'll get tickets in your room on the first day. As far as booking around Palo brunch, I think you just have to hope for the best. Both will only occur on sea days.

4. There were larger picture packages. I think we started with a 15-pic package. As usual, you can change your package at the end if you get fewer pics.

5. Customs limits are $800 per person and one liter of alcohol per person. Don't remember tobacco off the top of my head as we didn't purchase any.

6. We saw the cel painting. Didn't get a chance to try it though. We were too tired and went to bed.

7. Not that I can remember, just onboard merchandise (what was left of it, anyways)

8. That's just when you get little notes from Guest Services and the like on those fish holders outside your door.

9. I would. But we needed it for work, so it kinda depends on what you'd be using it for. It will still be more cost effective than actual minutes if you have to use it a lot. And if you don't HAVE to use it, why are you bothering in the first place? I also think it's very likely that wireless will be up by August. It was actually already working onboard for crew, but they aren't quite ready for guests yet. I think that will be available very soon. Diane (the cruise booking and internet access cast member) told us there was a slim chance it could become available during our cruise, but that didn't happen.

10. I don't recommend the poster tube for the litho. It was huge. We didn't dare roll it up to try and fit into the tube we'd brought. You either need to bring a VERY fat tube or plan to stop by a shipping place.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of you answers - there are very helpful. What size was the lithograph....I'm trying to envision what size tube I need to get as that sounds like a great plan.

NejTheLion said:

Thank you for your feedback...the more I learn the more excited I get!

DisMagicFan said:
THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of you answers - there are very helpful. What size was the lithograph....I'm trying to envision what size tube I need to get as that sounds like a great plan.

The signed lithograph was 16x20 for us. I don't know if yours will be the same or not. It is pretty rigid so I wouldn't recommend rolling it into a tube. We brought one but ended up giving it to our tablemate who won a Ducky Williams sketch.

They gave us the lithograph in a large envelope with a piece of cardboard to make it more rigid. I just carried it on the plane with me.

If you want to preserve the pirate night menu which comes rolled up like a scroll, you may want to bring a small tube (12"-16" should do).

-steve

DisMagicFan said:

4. I'm not sure if all of these packages are offered on other cruises but the ones on ours were:
$89.95- 10 6x8
$119.95-15 6x8
$149.95-20 6x8
$209.95-30 6 x8

I asked the man at Shutters if I could substitute 1 8x10 for 2 6x8's. He said okay because it was a special cruise.

5. Cigarette allowance is 1 carton per person(18 and over).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter