Live from the Magic 1/21-1/28

disneygatorfan said:
What time did you get at port to get #2???

This post wasn't directed at me, but thought I'd chime in and say that we got there at 10:30 last week and we were given boarding cards #3. There weren't very many people in front of us at all, so I was surprised that they were already to #3. But 1 and 2 were virtually called at the same time, so we were on the ship in no time.

I very much like the new boarding process. Much more relaxing that waiting in line until they opened the doors.

thanks, looks like I will have to get there earlier then planned. Was hoping to get there around 11am, and get a decent number!

disneygatorfan said:
thanks, looks like I will have to get there earlier then planned. Was hoping to get there around 11am, and get a decent number!

I had planned on getting there early, but then I thought about it a bit more. It's a 7 day and there is plenty of time. we got there around 1:30 and basically walked on the ship after getting our son's wristband. I never felt rushed. Walked into Top siders had a leisurly lunch, then the cabins were ready. we slowly unpacked as our luggage arrived. went to the Muster Drill & Sail away party. Much better then last year hanging out at the port and waiting, waiting & waiting for them to open up the ship.

It is a glorious morning and I watched us pull into port from the gym - a great view from the treadmill. Only complaint - I'm 6'2" + with shoes and my head was occasionally brushing the ceiling there! So if you're taller than that, use the ones on the second row! :rotfl:

We had another rough evening. They cancelled the Cinderella show but it's rescheduled for today. DD-3 started throwing up last night after dinner - don't know if it was motion or what. He seems better this am so we're hoping to get off the ship a little later and go to Le Galion - voted the most family-friendly beach by the locals.

Yesterday was an amazing day of pampering. DD had her hair braided first thing - $2 for each cornrow so she had the top of her hair done with the beads. She looked pained the entire time but it looks great now! We dropped the kids of at all the clubs (three stops - phew!). Then we went to Palo for brunch. Kristian from Croatia was our server and he was everything I've read about him on the boards - great guy! The food was outstanding (and so was the champagne). We saw lots of fellow disboarders which was great fun - there were 5 of us there! It was well after 12 when we left (we started at 10:30). We then walked off the meal a bit and DH took a catnap while I read on the balcony. Then it was time to hand the pager to the kids so we could go to the spa. We spent the afternoon in one of the villas having a hot stone massage. WOW!

You can be overlooked - so definitely bring the swimsuit. We started with the foot bath and rub, chose our tea and toasted with the champagne we ordered. Then into the tub for 25 minutes. It was lovely. Then out and strip down for the massage inside. After I turned into a bowl of jelly, we put robes on and sat down on the lounger built for two out on the balcony. There were huge white puffy clouds coming in while we drank our tea and ate fruit kabobs. They gave us the sales pitch (she was very nice and I forgot to put no pitch on my form!). We did buy the oil - hey, then I get a massage at home! :love:

We started at 2:30 and finished at just past 5 pm! So off to dress for dinner at Animator's Palate (great show) and a visit with Belle. Then the kids visited the arcade as the concierges gave them cards. We returned to the room for an early night for the kids since they had been up late the previous night and there was no show. DH and I were going to head back and out and leave them with the grandparents when DS got sick. So we watched lots of movies!

Hopefully he'll be okay today - send some pixie dust!

goofymama said:
This post wasn't directed at me, but thought I'd chime in and say that we got there at 10:30 last week and we were given boarding cards #3. There weren't very many people in front of us at all, so I was surprised that they were already to #3. But 1 and 2 were virtually called at the same time, so we were on the ship in no time.

I very much like the new boarding process. Much more relaxing that waiting in line until they opened the doors.

We arrived around 1 for our Turkeyday 05 sailing and walked right up to the CC club line we were 3rd and got right on the ship!!!!!

Just want to pipe in here....we're on the cruise too, met a lot of DISers here and will say they are the nicest and friendliest you want to meet. The seas have been pretty rough but since we left St Maarten the are calmer now. Going to the Pirate of the Caribbean party now try to post again latter.

Brett

Hello! We're in St. Thomas today and could not ask for more glorious weather! :sunny: It's so nice not to have rough seas for more than 24 hours too!

We got off the boat yesterday and took the water taxi over to Great Bay (I think that's it - right in town at Philipsburg). DS was better but we didn't want to chance getting too far from the ship just in case it wasn't seasickness. We walked to the right and a gentleman approached us for loungers with umbrellas, 4 for $20. The spot was perfect and we spent almost 2 hours there. The kids had an absolute ball playing in the sand. The water was chilly but okay and they only went up to the top of their knees. There was a pretty substantial drop-off a couple feet in so it wasn't ideal for kids but they didn't want to swim anyway. We were approached by numerous ladies selling towels, bags, etc. but once we said no a couple of times they left us alone. We then walked down to the opposite end to sightsee and went back to the ship for a late lunch. The younger kids napped while DH and my parents went into town to shop. My mom had researched watches before leaving so knew what she wanted to pay and got two. They stopped for a drink and returned to the ship by 5 pm In the meantime, DD was at the lab (very quiet) and I picked her up so we could all get into our costumes/tattoos for pirate night. They were very few adults dresses up but it was very worth getting the kids stuff (we bought them at a deep discount the day after Halloween!). They got a lot of attention. We also had a little party for my boys who both celebrated birthdays two weeks ago. It was a great cake!

We then headed to the show. "Twice CHarmed". I can see why they would have to cancel it due to the rough seas the night before. The sets are intensive as well as the dancing and other suprises! The kids loved it. We then went up to the deck for the pirate party. We bought a container of glow necklaces and the kids gave them out to other kids - spreading the pixie dust! The fireworks were fun although later than I expected them to start. And don't leave after the first round! :lmao:

This morning was our early morning meeting with US Immigration. It is well organized and took only about 10 minutes but it's tough to get the kids out of bed after being up so late. The cruise director explained that they do the fireworks that night as it is the only night that the ship can go so slowly and have a safe show.

We had breakfast in Lumiere's (a first as we've had room service). Then got off the ship and walked down to the Paradise Point Tramway. It's a 5 minute walk. It's expensive ($18 adults and $9 for 6-12). But worth it as the view was great. We spent a good hour going up, walking around and coming down. Then we caught a taxi to Charlotte Amalie and saw the sights. They were pretty aggressive - taxis and trying to get you in the shops. We stopped for a great rum drink (Place called Take a Break I think - really nice people) and ice cream for the kids. A little more shopping for trinkets and back to the ship by an open air taxi this time (after being fought over by numerous drivers at the market). The kids are sleeping and I just threw in some laundry. How is it you never bring enough underwear!? :rolleyes:

Tonight we're going to the concierge's reception and then to Palo (YEAH!). So hopefully all three kids will be okay (I know the older two are - just not so sure about DS - 3 with staying for dinner).

We're at sea tomorrow and hopefully things won't be as rough as the beginning of the trip!

TTFN....

lbgraves said:
Please tell Don hello from the Graves family. He had just found out about the new baby on our cruise last year. The kids were so sad when they couldn't say hello last month. We will be back next December though in his section on deck 7 so are looking forward to seeing him then. :)
Lisa - I told Don and he said to let you know he had another girl!

He got to go to Palo yesterday and it was his 5 year anniversary.

Hello from the sunny seas. It is an amazing day and the seas are calmer than on the way down which is a blessing!

We thoroughly enjoyed Palo's dinner last night. Wow. A phenomenal meal and service. We had Alexsandr (also from Croatia, like Kristian). Nice guy and Kristian kept coming by to check up on us. The meal was SO good- everything I had heard about Palo. And, yes, we had the souffle! The kids didn't beep us either - yeah! We picked them up and had a relatively early night. All the alcohol probably helped with sleeping last night! :tongue:

We had the character breakfast at 8:15 am. It was fun but DS 3 wasn't so sure about all the characters at once! We headed for the pools which were a complete zoo by lunchtime but the kids loved splashing about. Now everyone is having a rest in the room before our galley tour and the kids' "graduation" from the club/lab.

I must chime in about Palo also. DH and I were lucky to have Anton from Bulgaria and were treated like royalty. Palo is everything we had expected it to be and look forward to coming back on our next cruise. It makes dressing up fun. The chocolaty martini I had was incredible as was the famous chocolate souffle.

This afternoon was laundry day and what an experience that is. There is something called the laundry sprint which entails going from floor to floor dragging your laundry in search of an empty washer. The dryer did a fine job for me and it felt like an accomplishment getting this chore done.

Tomorrow is Castaway Cay and we are looking forward to it very much. More later.

Sorry to hear about the rough seas. We were on the Magic in December (our first cruise) and weather was beautiful. Cruise Director, Brent, said our trip was the best weather they had seen in a while but I was hoping it would stay nice for everyone for a while after.

Keep the info coming....I love to relive it! Can't wait until November.....

Take care of our ship for us.............................

need_a_Disney_fix said:
I must chime in about Palo also. DH and I were lucky to have Anton from Bulgaria and were treated like royalty. Palo is everything we had expected it to be and look forward to coming back on our next cruise. It makes dressing up fun. The chocolaty martini I had was incredible as was the famous chocolate souffle.......
It's great to hear Anton is still there! :thumbsup2 We had Anton and Jurate from Lithuania in October of 04'. Anton will spoil the ladies.... ;) he would cut up DW's Aunts steaks! Please tell Anton if you see him again, the Vances', Walkers, and Boutons' from Tennessee (party of 13)will be looking for him again this October! Thanks

Great reports -- thank you for taking the time to post. Hope today is another great day!

What a great trip. Used up the last of our pixie dust catching an earlier airplane home. Good to be home, and see our "hairy kids" - Most people call them dogs. :)

I would recommend this as an alternative to the sky tram at St Maarten. I caught a guy trying to sell me a "tour" that was almost 2 hours. Picture on a donkey, several stops.. NOT what I was looking for.

It was still early, like 815. I just wanted to go up high, and take a few pictures. The tram would be 36 dollars or so for the two of us. His "tour" was going to be too long, and 45 dollars. It was so early.. I just asked him how much to drive us up to skyline drive (WAY WAY higher up than the tram goes) to take some pictures, and come back. It only cost me 30 dollars, and we were back when the post office opened at 9. Exactly what I wanted.

It never hurts to make up your own tour. Make sure you get them to agree on a price before you go. He was a real nice guy, and delivered just what I asked of him.

JP

:sad1: We are home. It's nice to be here - but geesh, I miss the ship! I cried when we left yesterday. Especially when DD gave a big hug to one of the CMs waving us off. Friday at Castaway Cay was chilly at times due to the wind but the sunshine did come out. It was a bit too cold to go swimming - the kids went in to their knees but there were people snorkeling. What an amazing place! I can see why people want to have a double dip. I wish it would have been warmer (we had a massage but had to leave the door closed due to the wind - oh well, can't see the ocean when you're face down anyway!) :rotfl:

It was great to meet everyone from the Disboards - sorry to those that we didn't get to see! I guess my biggest complaint from the trip is that I needed more time for everything. I felt like I missed so much! But it was a great break and so nice to spend time together with family.

:wave2: Welcome back. Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed living thru you. Makes me more anxious for my trip in July.

Hey Lisa...and everyone else that was on the Magic...

We just got home a few hours ago....went from the Magic yesterday morning over to Animal Kingdom to ride Expedition Everest and spend the day, then over to Magic Kingdom for the evening....drove home today.

Whew...are we tired!

I enjoyed meeting those who I was able to catch up with. I will give a detailed report this week, but in the meantime, you can all check out my tons of photos

HERE!

Enjoy!

need_a_Disney_fix said:
My DH was amazed how much knowledge I received from the DIS boards. All of the research has paid off. He gave me the funniest look when I brought out the over the door shoe thingy, but quickly figured out what it is for.

What's the door shoe thingy? What did you use it for?

unixadm said:
I enjoyed meeting those who I was able to catch up with. I will give a detailed report this week, but in the meantime, you can all check out my tons of photos
HERE!
Enjoy!

Thanks for the cool pictures! I think I saw them delivering your kid's buckets. I was the last one off the ship on the 21st, due to a small problem.
As I was getting off I saw them delivering some stateroom gifts. I noticed two kid's buckets. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter