List of possible tips...please contribute

over50visits

DIS Veteran
Thanks to the great support in creating the list of things you can spend money on during a cruise, and the list cabana amenities. I repost those from time to time, hope they help newcomers.

With a few recent tip threads, I thought it might be good to get up a list of where you can tip during your cruise.

Here is what comes to mind...any others you can think of?

Room steward *
Dining room server *
Dining room assistant server *
Dining room head server *
Bar drinks from any bar **
Popcorn and snacks sold at theaters **
Drinks sold by roving crew at sail away party or at shows **
Coffee drinks at the coffee bar **
Roving beach drink servers **
Spa treatments ***
Room service
Concierge hosts
Palo
Remy
Cabana Host
Luggage handlers at port
Shore excursion bus drivers, hosts, meal servers, guides

* Standard gratuities automatically added to your account, you can change at your discretion
** A tip is automatically added to your bill at each purchase, you can increase at your discretion
*** Mandatory tip added to your bill

Service positions you DO NOT tip and likely will not accept them:
Children's club counselors
Ships officers
The Captain
Customs officials :)
Characters (meet and greet or photo ops)
Guest services personnel
Photographers
Entertainers
Counter/buffet food servers

Does anyone know if there is a tip added to Vanellope's or Sweet On You?

That was a nice thread (I remember participating). I just reviewed it, found a couple more. So here we are so far...

Room steward *
Dining room server *
Dining room assistant server *
Dining room head server *
Bar drinks from any bar **
Popcorn and snacks sold at theaters **
Drinks sold by roving crew at sail away party or at shows **
Coffee drinks at the coffee bar **
Roving beach drink servers **
Wine steward (sommelier) **
Spa treatments ***
Room service
Concierge hosts
Palo
Remy
Cabana Host
Luggage handlers at port
Taxi/bus/shuttle drivers to and from port
Shore excursion bus drivers, hosts, meal servers, guides
Hair braiding on deck

* Standard gratuities automatically added to your account, you can change at your discretion
** A tip is automatically added to your bill at each purchase, you can increase at your discretion
*** Mandatory 18% tip added to your bill

Other positions you DO NOT tip and likely will not accept them:
Children's club counselors
Ships officers
The Captain
Customs officials :)
Characters (meet and greet or photo ops)
Guest services personnel
Photographers
Entertainers
Counter/buffet food servers
Bibbidi Bobbidi Botique

Just asking once more, does anyone know if there is a tip added to Vanellope's or Sweet On You?

Just asking once more, does anyone know if there is a tip added to Vanellope's or Sweet On You?
There was no added gratuity to our Sweet On You charge. Now, we only bought ice cream. Don't know if the drinks there would have the added gratuity.,

Last edited:
...Here is what comes to mind...any others you can think of?
Service positions you DO NOT tip and likely will not accept them:
Photographers
Exception to this:
Back in Feb ‘11, for our 25th anniversary DW and I did a private shoot. Scheduled at Shutters for Formal Night before the photog began his regular shift. Went to two different locations on the ship that were closed off to other passengers. We recreated our wedding photo from our ship board wedding back in '86. No extra charge for his time/session though we did tip him.

Could take that off the NOT list, and add to the tipping list as:
Photographers for private shoots

Thanks for all the input. Too bad no response on the sweets shops...I'll watch threads for someone going to Vanellope's or Sweet On You and ask if they had a tip added. We have a cruise coming soon and I'll check it out. I'll keep this with the other lists and post from time to time.

Thanks all!

There was no added gratuity to our Sweet On You charge. Now, we only bought ice cream. Don't know if the drinks there would have the added gratuity.,

This answers the question about Vanellope's or Sweet On You in terms of ice cream.

It seems odd to me that a tip would apply to snacks purchased at the theater.

I agree. It's a salesperson standing behind a counter getting the candy, popcorn, or drink from a shelf and handing it to you. But in our experience they have always added a tip automatically on the bill (both at the theater and the movie theater). That's why I won't be surprised to find the same at the new sweet shops on our next cruise.

Ashore, we're used to giving a tip to restaurant servers and coffee shop servers, but it never crosses my mind to tip the person who sells me popcorn at the movie.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because of the type of register they use that automatically puts a line for the tip (because of the CM in the theatre who are taking orders and bringing snacks to guests in their seats). I personally don't tip for things like that (like when you pick up a pizza at the pizza joint--we don't tip, but they have the line their because of the deliveries).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter