Lindsay's journal.....3 half marathons later and I'm still at it updated 7/12

Hang in there Lindsay! It will get better. Congratulations on the promotion! :yay:

Feeling great is a big deal IMO. I am trying to not be set on the ending number, but how I feel about myself. You look so great! I definitely see a change!! :)

You are such an inspiration!! Thank you!!! :goodvibes

thanks stephanie, boy your vacation will be here before you know it. Im so excited for you. I am trying so hard not to worry about the number on the scale but it seems like it was coming off so fast and now even though I am still following the WW plan with no changes I am at a road block. This is where I usually get down on myself and loose the motivation but I am determined to work through it this time. I am sure if I stay dedicated the number will start to move again! Thanks for the support, glad I could help you too.

Great job Lindsay! You can definately see it around your waist and in your face.I was a member of the Incredibles but found it way to hard to keep track of everyone- glad you have a journal here it is much easier.

Keep up the great work,
Linda

Great job Lindsay! You can definately see it around your waist and in your face.I was a member of the Incredibles but found it way to hard to keep track of everyone- glad you have a journal here it is much easier.

Keep up the great work,
Linda

Thanks Linda, Yes it can be overwhelming sometimes keeping track of everybody. I always find it easier to relate to pictures so its hard for me to remember everyones stories without having pics to go along with them. Glad you came over to my journal!

I thought about your race during my morning run! I hope it went well!

Aww thanks for thinking of me. My race went really well. It was super hilly which for you being in TN might be the norm.:laughing: I however usually try to pick a path that is pretty flat. Anyway I completed it in 38:30 which is only 30 sec slower than what I have been running around my home. Not to bad for all those hills. I was pretty happy! I hope you had a great morning run. Talk to you soon!

Aww thanks for thinking of me. My race went really well. It was super hilly which for you being in TN might be the norm.:laughing: I however usually try to pick a path that is pretty flat. Anyway I completed it in 38:30 which is only 30 sec slower than what I have been running around my home. Not to bad for all those hills. I was pretty happy! I hope you had a great morning run. Talk to you soon!

So glad your run went well! Hills are killer. Middle Tennessee is very hilly, and I was actually thinking about that this morning as I ran up a large one. If I can train on all these hills, running the Princess half marathon in very FLAT Orlando won't seem too bad!

Congrats on your run today!

So glad your run went well! Hills are killer. Middle Tennessee is very hilly, and I was actually thinking about that this morning as I ran up a large one. If I can train on all these hills, running the Princess half marathon in very FLAT Orlando won't seem too bad!

Congrats on your run today!

Oh my you definitely will be able to do the princess after all your hilly training. Those minor inclines that Ive heard people talk about will be nothing compared to what your used to.:thumbsup2

I thought since I didnt officially journal about my run I would give a detailed review.

Temperature was great. Somewhere in the 60's and cloudy. I got to the area at about 730am. The race lined up at 8 and started at 815. I was suppose to run with another friend and her sister. I couldnt find them anywhere so I just hung around with my parents and my ds-nick. My dh and ds-ryan stayed home since his tball game started at 1030.

I got in line for the port-a-potty one last time before heading to the start. There was quite a line and I got talking with a lady in front of me. She was overweight and probably in her 50's. She joined team in training and is training to walk a 1/2 marathon. She has not set a date yet. She said she was only training for 2 weeks but her coach wanted her to do this. I told her she can do it and it doesnt matter how slow she is all she has to do is finished. She said she just worried that she would be the last one. We said good luck and good bye. This will come into play in a bit.

So as I walked to the start, the kids races were going on. Its so cute to watch all the kids. My sons are involved in a kids race every other weekend and they love it. Anyway I still couldnt find my friends. I decided to line in towards the front of the pack for this race since they use a goofy timing system. As you cross they take the bottom half of your bib and thats how they track your official time. Unfortunately if you start 30-40 seconds after the timer starts your time really isnt "official". As I was waiting I saw my friends sister. She said my friends legs have been bothering her so she decided not to come. Not a huge deal considering they are both faster than me so I only run the first 1-2 minutes near them. :laughing:

In minutes the start gun shot and we were off. I ran past my parents and nick. Nick had his arms up in the air yelling "go mommy". I have to say I got a little choked up.:lovestruc I realized that starting in the front was making me feel like I was running alot faster than my pace. I started to slow and then it seemed like all the other racers were just flying past me. I had a hard time with this for a minute or two but then said "who cares Im doing it and thats all that matters, Im not here to win". So I rounded the first corner and I was pumped!

As I made the turn with determination in my eyes I saw it. The enourmous hill!:eek: I started to run it but then realized I should just walk fast so I dont fully burn myself out. Thats what I did and I cruised down the rest of the road turned the corner grabbed some water (actually 2 cups) and was surprised to see the 1 mile marker. Wow 11:30! I am usually between 12 and 13 so this was good.

The next mile was alot of ups and downs. Hills I mean. I made it through and only walked up the one really big one. Otherwise I was running.......
Along this mile there was a family that I caught up to. Mom in a wheel chair, dad pushing her, and 3 daughters somewhere between the ages of 6-10yrs running along. I was amazed that this dad was pushing his wife. Amazing. 2 of the girls were full of energy running ahead but the 3rd little one was having some trouble. I was running by her and said come on you can do it. She looked at me with these helpless eyes and said Im so tired I cant even breathe and my hearts beating so fast. I almost felt like putting her on my back and carrying her. Now we all know this would not have went well so instead I just encouraged her to keep walking and she caught up to her dad who then sat her on her moms lap and then he pushed them both. :lovestruc What a man! and I am sad to announce that he even beat me to the finish.:lmao:

Shortly after mile 2 was another water stop. This time I only took one cup. We then got to the point where you pass the racers just coming up to their first mile. I didnt expect to see anyone since I was in the back of the pack. But who did I see.....that poor lady I met at the port a potties. She was followed by a cop car, I guess he was waiting to open the roads. Well I hope she at least completed it.

I was honestly surprised how quick I felt the race was going. Not that I was quick but I remember last year and even the race I did a month ago. It felt like I was tourtoring myself and that it never would be over. This time I felt great!

I passed the last bunch of the local schools cheerleaders. :cheer2: They were giving out a chant "lets go runners, lets go". Then I saw the street that led to the finish. I picked up speed just a bit. Turned the corner and ran as fast as I could to the finish. I beat 4 people that were in front of me.

I believe I finished at 38:30. :yay:

It was alot of fun. They had a health expo set up. Mostly local business
nothing that really caught my eye. They had a spread of drinks, fruit and bagels. I grabbed some gatorade and oranges. Then we headed to my little guys kids run about 15 minutes away.

One thing I wanted to share. At the kids run I stayed and cheered on our friends son who is 10. There group runs a mile. I thought all of the kids had finished so we started to head to the car. As we are walking my mom says oh there is still more kids. I look down and here is a boy probably 100lbs overweight and he is crossing the finish holding his hands up in the air. I almost started sobbing. I was so proud of him doing it and I didnt even know him. It really made my day to see that. We have so many obese children in the world right now and to see a child trying to help himself is amazing.

Great job on the run!!! Isn't it great to see so many types of people out there competing? I have been last in a race-my first 5k 3 years ago. The ambulance was behind me. I thought they must just be following me cause I'm fat. But no, that is race protocol. I did pass a number of people later, including a man who looked to be 164.:laughing:

That little boy-didn't you just want to hug him and cry over him? I did just reading your post. How awesome that he was out there trying and hopefully he keeps on running. I am looking forward to this type of thing when DD and I run her Girls on the Run race next weekend.

Keep up the great work-you will get speedier each time you go out there!

Great job on the run!!! Isn't it great to see so many types of people out there competing? I have been last in a race-my first 5k 3 years ago. The ambulance was behind me. I thought they must just be following me cause I'm fat. But no, that is race protocol. I did pass a number of people later, including a man who looked to be 164.:laughing:

That little boy-didn't you just want to hug him and cry over him? I did just reading your post. How awesome that he was out there trying and hopefully he keeps on running. I am looking forward to this type of thing when DD and I run her Girls on the Run race next weekend.

Keep up the great work-you will get speedier each time you go out there!

I was laughing at the ambulance comment. I would have thought the same thing. Isnt it amazing to see how far you have come since then. Good for you! I really wanted to just run over and give the boy a big hug but he probably would have thought it to be a little wierd. :lmao: I really had to hold back the tears. The girls on the run sounds so awesome. These are things that makes me a little sad that I wont have a daughter to do those things with but then I think of how lucky I am to have 2 wonderful boys and no need of dealing with PMS days. :lmao: I do hope you have a great time. I would love to hear about it.

Its a couple days past my monday weigh in but I figured better late than never. Its been busy with the holiday weekend and yesterday was a crazy day at work.

So my official weigh in on 6/1/10 was:

202.4lbs
Total loss of 2.6 this week:yay:
Total loss in 5 weeks= 12.6lbs

I feel amazing!

I read through most of your journal! LOVE IT!! I would LOVE to have you as a partner so we could encourage each other! I, too, am an only child, who would have difficulty coming up with funding for much, but would also as my mom and dad to help me out in the same way as you are for the Princess. I found some of these threads, and today have decided that I am going to buy a US road map, and start walking to WDW. I am going to count time walking, running (dont do much of that), biking, and swimming toward getting there. I am going to pick destinations along the way and when I virtually reach them, I am going to try to go there, so long as they are cheap-ish. I set a goal last nite of getting back on track with WW (I attend meetings and have access to e-tools), of losing 25 pounds by my birthday in six weeks. I figure, I have been gaining, so once I am back on, my first week will be slightly larger weight loss than typical weeks. Good luck! And I SURE hope we can support each other!!!

Congratulations on the weight loss!! I hope you feel like your pushing through your slump. Have you thought about adding some light weights/toning exercises in to your routine? It might engage other muscles making you burn more calories. :thumbsup2

I read through most of your journal! LOVE IT!! I would LOVE to have you as a partner so we could encourage each other! I, too, am an only child, who would have difficulty coming up with funding for much, but would also as my mom and dad to help me out in the same way as you are for the Princess. I found some of these threads, and today have decided that I am going to buy a US road map, and start walking to WDW. I am going to count time walking, running (dont do much of that), biking, and swimming toward getting there. I am going to pick destinations along the way and when I virtually reach them, I am going to try to go there, so long as they are cheap-ish. I set a goal last nite of getting back on track with WW (I attend meetings and have access to e-tools), of losing 25 pounds by my birthday in six weeks. I figure, I have been gaining, so once I am back on, my first week will be slightly larger weight loss than typical weeks. Good luck! And I SURE hope we can support each other!!!

Your ideas/goals sound great. What an awesome idea about walking/running and meeting destination goals. I hope you get to travel to some really cool destinations. Are you planning on doing the princess? If so I would be happy to partner with you. Currently I am at around 1230/mile pace. I am hoping to get quicker by the time of the 1/2 marathon. Either way if you are faster or slower than me we can at least encourage each other along the way. Good luck with getting started on WW.

Congratulations on the weight loss!! I hope you feel like your pushing through your slump. Have you thought about adding some light weights/toning exercises in to your routine? It might engage other muscles making you burn more calories. :thumbsup2

I am definitely feeling better! I have thought about the cross training in between. I dont want to do too much too fast. 1. it usually burns me out and I give up everything. 2. I want to allow my body time to adjust.

So this week I am increasing to running 4 nights/week. Next week I will add in one day of cross training either weight/toning stuff or the Wii active which is a little of both. Then after a few weeks I will add in a 2nd day of that. I will still keep one day of total rest. Do you think that sounds like a good plan?

Thanks!!! I would LOVE to be able to the 1/2 Princes. I will have to see if my parents or grandmother can finance it though. I am not even up to jogging, much less walking. I have to determine if they would let me walk during the 1/2.

Your ideas/goals sound great. What an awesome idea about walking/running and meeting destination goals. I hope you get to travel to some really cool destinations. Are you planning on doing the princess? If so I would be happy to partner with you. Currently I am at around 1230/mile pace. I am hoping to get quicker by the time of the 1/2 marathon. Either way if you are faster or slower than me we can at least encourage each other along the way. Good luck with getting started on WW.

I am definitely feeling better! I have thought about the cross training in between. I dont want to do too much too fast. 1. it usually burns me out and I give up everything. 2. I want to allow my body time to adjust.

So this week I am increasing to running 4 nights/week. Next week I will add in one day of cross training either weight/toning stuff or the Wii active which is a little of both. Then after a few weeks I will add in a 2nd day of that. I will still keep one day of total rest. Do you think that sounds like a good plan?

Btw...I think your ideas of adding in slowly is GREAT. That is what WW teaches us, and my doctor!! WTG!!! :banana:

Thanks!!! I would LOVE to be able to the 1/2 Princes. I will have to see if my parents or grandmother can finance it though. I am not even up to jogging, much less walking. I have to determine if they would let me walk during the 1/2.

You can walk it you just have to keep a 16min/mile pace or they sweep you and you dont get to finish. If that happens you dont get a medal either. :scared1: I am hoping to avoid this.:thumbsup2

I think that sounds great! I need to start using our Wii fit as well. I definitely agree that a day of rest is a good idea. Would you offer your feedback on what my plan is? I would really appreciate it!

Here's what I am trying to do (though I have not fully fulfilled it yet):

Monday: brisk walk/run in the morning, meet with DIS friend in the afternoon to walk/talk/girls play together after we are done (does not happen every week but most weeks)

Tuesday: Circuit type workout or Wii Fit

Wednesday: Same as Monday

Thursday: same as Tuesday

Friday: brisk walk/run

Saturday: same as Friday

Sunday: My rest day

I need to start doing toning type exercises every day too to help me to start looking more toned. I would love some feedback!! :goodvibes

You can walk it you just have to keep a 16min/mile pace or they sweep you and you dont get to finish. If that happens you dont get a medal either. :scared1: I am hoping to avoid this.:thumbsup2

I did not know they will allow you to walk it. I can walk a mile in about 10 minutes or so, give or take. I have always been a better brisk walker than runner. I know I actually burn more calories with brisk walking than I do a slow jog...:scratchin

Stephanie your plan sounds great. The Marathoning for mortals book has a plan that I am going to follow for the 1/2 training. I am using the day/day breakdown as a guide to how I set up my workouts.

Basically its something like this although I dont have it in front of me.

M-Run/Walk- Its a tempo run but either way your good.
T-Cross train
W-Moderate run/walk- just a tad faster than comfortable pace
R- cross train
F- ? not sure if this also is a rest or a run
Sat-longer comfortable pace run/walk
Sun- rest

So at least hopefully you get the point. So what your doing looks good. I would just alternate run/walk then a cross train (this can include weight training).

So if you can walk that fast its actually faster than I currently run. :thumbsup2

I would say you should sign up for the princess too:wizard: Although I know your doing your big trip in sept. so Im sure its out of the question. huh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter