Lightsabers And The Trip Home

DantePD

Mouseketeer
So, question for folks who have been to Galaxy's Edge, built their lightsaber and flown home. How's your experience with that been? Are the airlines allowing them as carry-ons? TSA being difficult? These things are expensive, so there's no way I'm putting one in checked bags and I'm reluctant to just ship one home via UPS or something

We flew out of John Wayne yesterday with 3 lightsabers. TSA knew what they were when we went through security. They took all 3 behind the scanners then they pulled us to the side and had my son take them out individually to check for bomb residue. TSA told us they did not want to touch the lightsabers, given their price, and have the liability of breaking them. Alaska did not count them as one of our carry ons. All three easily fit in the overhead on top of our luggage. It was a very simple process with no problems!

We flew out of John Wayne yesterday with 3 lightsabers. TSA knew what they were when we went through security. They took all 3 behind the scanners then they pulled us to the side and had my son take them out individually to check for bomb residue. TSA told us they did not want to touch the lightsabers, given their price, and have the liability of breaking them. Alaska did not count them as one of our carry ons. All three easily fit in the overhead on top of our luggage. It was a very simple process with no problems!
Fantastic. Hopefully the TSA folks in Orlando will have the same policy

Thats good with alaska, we are flying with them next month. Anybody know how air travel is working with the droids?

What is the size of the blade once it's disassembled?
The way I understand it (And someone who's already been to Galaxy's Edge can correct me), the default blade is 30in, but 36in and 24in blades can be purchased separately

What is the size of the blade once it's disassembled?
We never saw the blade disassembled since you put your handle into a slot to attach it. My son said you can buy extra blades, but he didn't pay attention to the size. Assembled, the blade is 31 1/8 inches.

Thats good with alaska, we are flying with them next month. Anybody know how air travel is working with the droids?

We had no issues with our droids. Our 2 kids each had a book bag for their droids. My husband had the droid box and we stuck a hoodie in there to keep it stable. We put all 3 in the overhead bin, TSA did not say a word about them at all.

Any experience as to if American Airlines counts a light saber as one of your carry on's?

I just did this last weekend. I travel light and typically don't check luggage. On the way down from San Jose I carried on my overnight bag and knapsack. When you purchase a lightsaber you're given a carrying case that fits both the lightsaber and the blade. At the time I was worried about getting the saber's grip through TSA so I removed the lightsaber from the blade, put the lightsaber in my bag, and checked it. I then carried my knapsack and the blade in its case onto the plane. Although it sounds like TSA is okay carrying both the saber and the blade, one benefit of separating the two is that it reduces the length. This could be useful if overhead space is tight.

It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to remove the blade. To do this, take the blade in one hand and the saber/emitter in the other. Push the blade down towards the grip and, while holding it down, turn it about one quarter turn. The blade will release and slide out easily. There is actually a sound effect associated with doing this, which I thought was a cool touch.

If you buy a lightsaber consider purchasing an additional kiber crystal for it. In retrospect I was I had done this. I think they are available from Dok Ondar's store.

I flew Southwest out of San Diego. I had 2 fully assembled lightsabers in their bags and one Legacy hilt (carried in my backpack). TSA didnt even open or ask about the fully assembled lightsabers, but did pull out the Legacy hilt and ask question then performed bomb residue scan. I was able to put all items in an overhead bin on the plane. Not once was I questioned by southwest.

LOL, such a great thread. Thanks, @pharmama, for posting the TSA policy.

I wish they had similar for natural horsemanship training sticks. I travelled with one such stick last summer for a course in Colorado. San Diego's TSA had no issues with the stick as carry-on (may have mistaken it for walking stick??) but ABQ refused it on the return leg. Had to tape it to my checked bag and "hope for the best." Gladly, it survived the journey ... and agreed, TSA showed quite a sense of humor with their added decorations.

Attachments

• My CS made it home flying Southwest Airline from ABQ to SAN. Yeah! modified.jpg
    My CS made it home flying Southwest Airline from ABQ to SAN. Yeah! modified.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 32

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter