letterman jackets -Are they popular?

clori

DIS Veteran
I recently saw an article that said letterman jackets are no longer popular. It also mentioned that now they are used not just for sports but may be used for academics and things like yearbook. As far as I know our public high school only has them for athletic activities but I don't know anyone who has one. A friend just got hers for her son in private Catholic school for football. She said that they have a meaning in private schools but not public schools. Are they popular near you today and is the school public, secular private or religious private.

Public school here and no, not at all. Even my athletic daughter who lettered as a freshman has no interest.

I recently saw an article that said letterman jackets are no longer popular. It also mentioned that now they are used not just for sports but may be used for academics and things like yearbook. As far as I know our public high school only has them for athletic activities but I don't know anyone who has one. A friend just got hers for her son in private Catholic school for football. She said that they have a meaning in private schools but not public schools. Are they popular near you today and is the school public, secular private or religious private.
It's been a while, but all our kids got a letter jacket for being in marching band. Public school.

Yes, marching band requires athletic stamina, and they have competitions where they represent the school.

All three of our kids got theirs. They all earned the letters from athletics. BUT, you can purchase a jacket and put whatever on it. Our youngest DD, we didn't order through the school. We saved some money and got more customization choices. The place we got it done DID put her athletic letter on that she had to get from the school.

My son never got a letterman's jacket, but he did letter in Hi-Q which was an academic competition. He graduated high school in 1997, so a long time ago

Very popular here, band kids too, choir kids get letters but very few get jackets. There are 3 stores in town that sell them, they are over $300. Kids get their letters at end of season dinners. With my oldest I made the mistake of ordering it after he got his letter, took 3 months. With my other 3 I ordered well in advance and brought the letter in, took less than a week. They’re pretty warm and get worn all winter.

They were very popular when I was in HS, but that was 60 years and longer ago. :faint: There were leather sleeves and cloth sleeves. I had cloth. Lettered in BBall, '62. Neither Vince nor Natalie had school jackets, just school hoodies/sweats I think.

Maybe for football? My DD had 4 varsity letters each for field hockey and lacrosse and none of the girls sports had jackets.

she left her letters here when she moved away so I guess they don’t mean much to her!

Can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a Letterman's jacket form public or private school. My son got a Letter for being on the baseball team, but he framed it and hung it on the wall of his bedroom, no jacket.

A fair number of kids here wear them. My kids had a bunch of letters in sports and academic things, but didn't want the jacket. I put the letters in their scrapbooks.

both my kids had them in high school and they were the warmest freaking coats! they both got them in sophomore year so they got a lot of wear. a couple of years ago my youngest needed a good warm day to day coat so we went to the letterman's jacket store and had a great time having him pick out a new one (didn't have to stick with school colors any more so he had his choice of color combinations).

we see them worn by people of all ages-high school crowd w/letters of course but also adult organizations and clubs, big fans of local university teams (they will proudly wear that school's colors) as well as the university athletes.

Extremely popular here. My son lettered in both tennis freshman year and band later. He ended up with two jackets instead of just putting all the patches on one. Private school.

They're still really popular here. At public school, letters are only awarded for varsity sports and marching band. At private, the letter is actually two letters - the school initials - and one is earned for athletics and the other academics (and almost every student does earn both). Both of my grown kids, one of whom attended public and the other private, have them. DS24 still wears his sometimes because it is just really warm and durable. DD21 only wears hers when she's at home but she lives in the land without winter most of the year.

The thing that was huge when I was a teen that has gone away almost entirely for my kids' high school experiences is class rings. The private high school had the flyers out on the day when we were ordering the cap and gown and all of that, but neither of my adult kids knows anyone who actually got one.

Extremely popular here. My son lettered in both tennis freshman year and band later. He ended up with two jackets instead of just putting all the patches on one. Private school.
I don’t know anyone who got 2 jackets, is it because 1 is a sport and the other music? Two of my kids got their track letters before soccer and waited for soccer sophomore year to have the soccer ball on the back.

They're still really popular here. At public school, letters are only awarded for varsity sports and marching band. At private, the letter is actually two letters - the school initials - and one is earned for athletics and the other academics (and almost every student does earn both). Both of my grown kids, one of whom attended public and the other private, have them. DS24 still wears his sometimes because it is just really warm and durable. DD21 only wears hers when she's at home but she lives in the land without winter most of the year.

The thing that was huge when I was a teen that has gone away almost entirely for my kids' high school experiences is class rings. The private high school had the flyers out on the day when we were ordering the cap and gown and all of that, but neither of my adult kids knows anyone who actually got one.
Same here with the rings, everyone bought them in my day, not anymore. One of my kids‘ college is big on rings, there is an actual ceremony and parents come even if they have to fly in, it’s bigger than graduation.

It was a big thing when I graduated...96. I had a few letters but never got a jacket. Just not my thing.

My son got letters but they are in a box somewhere. I see some jackets from his school, but definitely not like it used to be. And,.it's athletics, academics, extracurricular, etc.

When I was in school, you could letter in "serving the community" with a certain number of volunteer hours.

I don’t know anyone who got 2 jackets, is it because 1 is a sport and the other music? Two of my kids got their track letters before soccer and waited for soccer sophomore year to have the soccer ball on the back.
No he just wanted two different kinds- one is the leather and the other was the other leather-ish material.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter