letter to teachers- case of writers block

sigafoos

Mouseketeer
I'm pulling DS out of school for 6 days this month to go on a Disney cruise. I don't feel bad about doing this as family time is more important than anything and travel itself is a learning experience. It was either him missing school or his sister missing a week of college as their breaks are different and missing college is not a option! That said my problem is getting a letter to his teachers, I have a horrible case of writers block:p I was wondering if anyone has a idea for a short and to the point letter to the teachers. Everytime I start to write it it becomes a long drawn out rambling letter that ends up explaining and trying to justifing the reason we are pulling him out. All I'm want is to let them know we are going and to ask them if there is work he can do while we are gone. We did this 2 years ago but he was in middle school with not as much work. Does anyone have a way with words?
Kim:confused:

First, I would do it formal, like a business letter. You do not have to justify anything and they probably do not really care anyway. Let’s see:

Date

Your Name
Address
Phone Number

Teacher’s name
School Address

Dear Teacher’s Name:

I am writing to inform you that our son, John Doe, will be out of school from April ? to April ?, 2003. We are very excited to be taking John to the Caribbean.

Please, let John or myself know if there are any assignments that he needs to complete while on this trip.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me using the information listed above.

Sincerely,

Mary Smith

My thoughts exactly. Don't justify, just ask for the work. Believe me, I teach HS and my kids just bring me the school vacation form to sign--no one asks me my opinion!:D I just had a boy get back from Key West for a week and all I had for him was a makeup test, two book things to read and a lot of jealousy!
Robin M.

I would just let teacher know of the dates he will not be in school. I wouldn't feel compelled to let them know where you will be going, but if asked he shouldn't lie just tell them a family vacation to.........
The elementary school I work in has a policy written in the handbook that teachers will not put together work for children to do while on unexcused absences. Some teachers do put things together though. Some ask kids to keep a daily journal, or to simply keep up with any reading that the class may be doing.
Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter