Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle- A May '14 TR *12/3 PTR Link to Real Life News

I'm sorry about Tigger being too aggressive at your CP breakfast. Usually the characters are very good about picking up on those vibes. I understand that it is fun when someone like Tigger is in character, but it seems almost like he wanted to push it and see how far he could go!

I'm glad that you and your mom got to go stay at a Disney resort... and I'm really, really excited for you about the Christmas party!!!! It is always hard to resist the call of the parks. I'd have had a hard time resisting getting the tickets to begin with, but I'm glad that it worked out so that you could get the party tickets. Good luck avoiding Mickey... I guess that means no parade? Or castle show? :rotfl2:

I'm sorry about Tigger being too aggressive at your CP breakfast. Usually the characters are very good about picking up on those vibes. I understand that it is fun when someone like Tigger is in character, but it seems almost like he wanted to push it and see how far he could go!

I'm glad that you and your mom got to go stay at a Disney resort... and I'm really, really excited for you about the Christmas party!!!! It is always hard to resist the call of the parks. I'd have had a hard time resisting getting the tickets to begin with, but I'm glad that it worked out so that you could get the party tickets. Good luck avoiding Mickey... I guess that means no parade? Or castle show? :rotfl2:

Tigger was being a bit ridiculous that morning, but so long as Landon didn't blow up, I took it in stride.

We had no intention of going to the Christmas Party...until we were standing on property dealing with the reality that we weren't going into any parks. :lmao:

It took about thirty minutes for a bus to the MK to show up. Thank goodness I'd loaded a collection of Landon's favorite nursery rhymes on my phone for him to enjoy while we sat and waited. Of course, that came with its own issues. I didn't have a phone charger with me, and I wanted to make sure my battery stayed alive for pictures and potential separation from my mom. Plus, when your husband's gone, you never let your phone die.
Just in case.

So, I was playing the "conserve my phone's life" throughout the night, and I think that also contributed a lot to living in the moment. I wasn't spending five minutes in a spot trying to capture that perfect picture.

It was SNAP, SNAP...move on!

Our tickets on our band worked perfectly, and it was just after 7 p.m. when we stepped inside the Magic Kingdom.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

A Disney park!

I had forgotten how fantastic being in Disney is.

Christmas music was playing, there was snow falling from the rooftops, and the castle was shimmering in thousands of holiday lights.

"Yeah, this is a million times better than hanging out in our room."

We had to make a quick pit stop at the bathroom for me to change Landon's diaper (where I had to wait behind the slowest mom EVER.) and then we were all headed down Main Street.

With no plans and nothing reserved, I had the luxury of asking my mom, "What would you like to do right now?"

I left a lot of the attraction decisions up to my mom, because I knew of the two of us, I'd probably be the one returning sooner, so I wanted her to see and do everything she wanted that night.

My mom picked Dumbo. Memories of her last December ride on her mind, so I took us towards Fantasyland.

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Hello, Castle, aren't you looking gorgeous this evening.

Right away, the two of us observed that the atmosphere at this party was a million times different than the one we attended last year. The Cast Members were friendly and more festive, actually saying hello and Merry Christmas as we walked by, and the weather was PERFECT. It wasn't freezing cold out, but it did require a jacket and pants. For a native Floridian like me, it was enough to make me feel like it was the holidays, even though I'm sure to most it wasn't cold enough.

The best part of this party, though?

The crowds were nonexistent.

It had been a long time since I saw the MK that empty. Probably three of four years.

There weren't blockades along the walkways, there wasn't congestion in the buildings, and you felt like you could breathe easy being so spaced out.

My mom and I LOVED IT.

Along the way to our attraction, we passed by the teacups without any line, and I proclaimed that we needed to go on it. It was a semi-tradition for the two of us.

Landon seated himself between my mom and me and watched as everything began to spin.

He didn't dislike the ride, but as you can see by his death grip on my mom's sweater, he didn't adore it, either. If anything, he was more interested in the hanging lanterns above him that made streaks of light as we spun around.

Dumbo really was next.

The attraction was completely empty when we showed up. The Cast Members told us we could let Landon play in the play area if we wanted, and while he would've had fun, I didn't want to waste precious party hours on something he could do at the resort. So the Cast Members then gave us the option of going right or left.

I'm telling you, it was a ghost town under that tent.

I chose left, because I wanted to be closer to the castle to see it up high, and we got on the very next spin.

In honor of my mother's disastrous ride photo, I had to take a poor quality selfie of us:

I might be the only one, but I'm an adult that actually loves riding Dumbo at night. I think the breeze and view of the park from way up high can't be beat.

After getting off Dumbo, we headed through (it's not new anymore!) Fantasyland. We passed Under the Sea, and I kind of wanted to ride it since it'd be closed for refurb in February, but I was worried the darkness would make Landon fall asleep.

And for the moment, I was trying hard to keep him awake. Not because I wanted him to experience some MK attractions, but more because I didn't want to carry 28 pounds of dead weight through long queues.
:lmao:

Don't judge.

If you've ever had to carry a sleeping toddler you'd understand my thinking.

My mom and I came upon an inflatable candy cane decoration that indicated we were at a cookie and cocoa location.

Hmm...time to get some sweets!

At first, we were just going to get our snacks and keep walking, but then Landon started picking at one of my cookies, and I had to deposit him in a seat so he wouldn't drop my food.

It wasn't long after that that Landon devoured his treat:

I don't think he has ever had an entire cookie in his life, and the last time he got a sweet was one piece of Hershey's on Halloween, so this was a HUGE indulgence for him.

Landon's first taste of ice cream...at Disney.

Landon's first taste of chocolate...at Disney.

Landon's first whole cookie...at Disney.

My poor child is going to be a fan of Walt Disney World, only because he gets desserts there!

:rotfl2:

Finished with our snacks, my mom and I walked Landon over to our traditional MK ride.

It isn't a day/night in the Magic Kingdom is we don't ride It's a Small World together!

Even if my mom and I didn't have a standing rule to go on this attraction, we would have had to do it for Landon's sake.

Like every other toddler that's gone on Small World, my kid is fascinated by it. He has a toy castle in his playroom that sings a part of Small World, has a small world boat toy, and will start dancing if I sing some of the song.

And just as we figured, Landon was still mesmerized by the attraction.

Out of everything, this is the one ride that seems to really capture his attention. Even in May, he couldn't tear his eyes away from the animatronics.

My mom theorized while we were riding that perhaps Landon doesn't realize the kids aren't real. That maybe he thinks he's watching a bunch of children his age and size dancing.

:confused3

It's possible...

With Small World knocked out, I had officially hit my average number of rides a day with Landon. In my head, that completely justified the cost of my party ticket.

"If we walked out right now, Mom, we would have done the same amount of stuff had we bought a one day ticket. Basically, anything after this point is icing on top of the cake."

Sounds strange and slightly sad, but my mom and I were excited by this realization. We were being incredibly productive, thanks to the low crowd levels, and it was only 7:40 p.m!

I had hoped we could have gone on Peter Pan's Flight after Small World, so that I could have seen the new queue, but the wait was 40 minutes.

No thanks.

My mom really wanted to go on Pirates while we were here, and since that's my absolute favorite dark ride, she didn't hear any protests from me. I led us through Liberty Square and then Frontierland. It was slow going, because most of the guests had gathered for the upcoming Christmas parade.

Along the way, I asked my mom if she wanted to watch the parade, but she said she would rather go on attractions. We'd had amazing spots last year for the parade and had great character interactions, so we weren't sad to miss the parade this time around.

We got near the end of Frontierland and needed to cross over to get to the other side, but there were Cast Members blocking our way.

I asked in my nicest voice, and one of them told me, "Yes, but you have to go fast!"
We were halfway across when she shouted at us, "Run!"

Oh..oh, okay!

My mom, Landon, and I had barely crossed the white tape on the ground indicating the parade viewing location when the beginning of the Christmas Parade music began playing and out walked the Winnie the Pooh characters.

Turns out, we were right at the entrance of the parade route. If we turned around where we were, we'd have front row spots!

But wait.

We couldn't do that!

Because then Landon would have a perfect view of a certain mouse.

A certain mouse that was on a float that was two to three seconds from appearing.

"Quick! Let's get out of here!"

My mom turned the stroller around, and I carried Landon off in the opposite direction. I'm sure the people that had formed a line behind us thought we were nuts, but we didn't care. About five feet down the street I looked back over my shoulder and realized we left at the perfect moment.

Mickey and Minnie were right in front of where we were.

Whew!

You want to talk about a close call.

The whole situation sounds crazy, I'm sure. My mom and I gave up prime viewing seats to a party exclusive parade spots we'd literally stumbled into without having to wait hours for.

But I knew it would have really bummed Alex out to miss Landon's response to Mickey Mouse and the princesses.

When you're deployed, you kind of develop these random wishes. The most unexpected and simplest things start weighing on your mind, and they start giving you something to look forward to once you're finished with your tour.
For example, there's this local sports bar and grill that make the best burgers in town. From about two months in, Alex started talking about how that will be the first burger he eats when he gets home.

And baby bath time used to be Alex's job before he left, so we've both spent weeks talking about how great it'll be when he can take that task back over, and how we'll have to buy Landon a really cool new bath toy in honor of the occasion.

And for as long as I can remember, I have told Alex how Landon has grown to love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and so we've grabbed on to this moment where we'll reintroduce him to this character and experience this magical family moment.

It's something both of us can focus on when we've had a bad day. "In two months, we should be on a cruise, and Landon can see all his favorite characters."

"I know it sucks, but just think, before we know it we'll be in Disney again...our little family of three."

"You better be ready 'cuz when we're in the parks, you're lugging this kid around."

Okay, okay...that last one was unnecessary, but nonetheless true.

To get back on topic: my mom and I managed to prevent Landon from seeing Mickey. It was a close call, but we did it.

We walked on and came upon:

f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

The Jingle Cruise!

Another favorite of my mom's.

It would have been wrong to skip such a fun attraction.

Especially when we entered the queue and walked right on to a waiting boat.

Absolutely no waiting whatsoever. It was a direct shot on the ride.

I loved it.

The skipper we got wasn't the greatest. She didn't pause long enough between her questions and answers, but her improv at the end was all right. Nothing could compare to last year's skipper on the Jingle Cruise, anyways, so my mom and I just sat back and enjoyed the ride for what it was.

Once we made it off the cruise, my mom and I walked over to Pirates and rode it. And just like in May, Landon loved the cannonball scene. He threw his arms in the air and yelled when the water splashed around him. It was almost as if he were cheering the ships on.

My little pirate.

A mother should be so proud...
:rotfl2:

By the time we got off Pirates, it was shortly after 9 o'clock, and since we'd kind of gone in a circle around the MK, my mom and I had hit most of the attractions we'd really wanted to do. We figured we'd be fine finding some out of the way spot on Main Street and waiting for Holiday Wishes.

We came out of the lands to the left of the hub and saw a completely empty section on the sidewalk curb.

Perfect.

It was our lucky night!

We parked the stroller, and my mom sat down to the left of it while Landon and I sat on the right. I had given myself about two feet of room in front of me so Landon could stand and hold onto the stroller if he wanted to. Plus, with the park being that empty, space wasn't an issue.

My mom and I were thirsty at that point, so she took off for the nearest cart selling water, and I stayed behind with the kid.

While she away, these two ladies walked up behind me and one began to go around on my right. At that exact same moment Landon decided he was through sitting on my lap and wanted to move around for a bit. So I scooted forward in that empty space to show him the curb he could step on and off.

Well, I guess the lady on my right had the intention of standing there.

In the tiny space my stroller was next to.

That was right in front of a small child.

I heard her turn around and in a very loud voice go, "Well, I WAS going to stand on that curb, but that rude girl moved forward."

What the what?!

Yes, I moved around in my little zone of personal space.

The horror...

Luckily, I was in way too good a mood to care what that woman said. For the first time ever, probably, I let a guest's comment roll right off my shoulder.

Probably because I knew the two shows coming up weren't seat restrictive. People could stand in the hub if they wanted.

I only mentioned this lady, because for the rest of the time we were there she kept GLARING at me. I mean every time I turned around she was shooting daggers my way.
And I just couldn't comprehend how someone could stay that angry during such a fun party. She had ample opportunities to move closer or farther into the street and actually get better views, but she still stayed right next to me and shot me dirty looks.

It was so strange.

But you weren't going to see me taking it personally.

Not when this was what I was looking at:

f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

I think all the lights on the castle captured Landon's attention. He kept staring and pointing at it, like he was trying to figure out why that building was so colorful.

My mom returned to us shortly after the crazy lady incident, and soon Celebrate the Magic started on the castle.

I love this projection show, and this one gave me the added bonus of seeing all the holidays skins. Cinderella's Castle dressed in candy canes...adorable.

The two of us were in shock that Landon was still awake by this point (it was about an hour past his normal bedtime) but we were so happy he was, because he enjoyed Celebrate the Magic. It captivated him, and even made him point to some of the recognizable characters.

And when the show ended, Landon made one his baby garble sounds and signed the word for again, which he does whenever he likes something. Usually, the sign is reserved for books or songs, but I guess the show was worthy of a second viewing.

My mom and I couldn't help but laugh out loud at Landon's request.

"I wish I could make it happen again, Bud, but trust me, something cooler is about to happen in a few minutes."

And while Landon did not think it was cooler than Celebrate the Magic, he was fascinated by Holiday Wishes.

f5 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

I did good watching the fireworks until the part where the song "I'll Be Home for Christmas" began playing.

Then I turned into a blubbery mess.

While Alex has been deployed before, it's never been during the holidays, and I couldn't help but think of all the special occasions he's already had to miss (both our birthdays, our anniversary, Halloween, Thanksgiving). And it kind of hit me that he wouldn't be there to watch Landon open presents on Christmas Day or partake in my family's annual viewing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation or sneak any of my mom's baked goods.

And then my thoughts turned to the fact that Holiday Wishes was the first fireworks show Landon had seen and how I used to play the soundtrack for us before out 2013 trip all the time. To which led me to thinking about fast he was growing up and how if I wasn't careful, we'd be watching this show with him next to me, as a school aged kid or a preteen or a teenager.

Basically, I was all kinds of emotional.

But, in my defense, I looked over at my mom once, and she was choked up too.

So I wasn't the only one looking a fool in Disney.

What I love about that picture is not only Landon's utter captivation by the fireworks, but the guy behind us smiling this big goofy smile, too.

Disney makes kids out of us all.

I've got the pics to prove it...

Holiday Wishes over, my mom and I turned around and headed back to a special attraction.

Just for me.

My mom had graciously offered to watch Landon so I could ride my favorite attraction.

Big Thunder Mountain!

And even though the wind was freezing cold and my face was numb after I got off, Big Thunder was as amazing as ever, and I loved every second of the ride.

While I was away, Landon had finally gave up the good fight and had fallen asleep.

10:00 p.m. for him was unbelievable; my mom and I were pleased and surprised that he'd stayed up so late. And more than a little relieved, because it meant he'd sleep later the following morning.

My mom and I could have found a spot to watch the parade at that point, since Landon was asleep, but we figured the smart thing to do was head back to the room and get to sleep. We'd gone on the teacups, Dumbo, IASW, the Jingle Cruise, Pirates, and Thunder Mtn, and seen Wishes...we felt like we had gotten our money's worth plus much more.

So, slowly, we made our way down Main Street.

"Hey, Mom, let me get a picture of you in front of the tree.You know, so you can hide it from everyone."

You see, while Alex knew we went to the party, most of our family and friends didn't even know we were in Orlando. This was a secret trip, and the ones who did know were assured and promised that we were only going to Seaworld. MVMCP had to be a secret we kept to ourselves.

Which added to the fun, in a way. Like we were sneaking cookies out of the cookie jar or slipping into an R rated movie at 15.

I know, we're terrible.

One last look down Main Street...
All right, time to head out.

As we were walking under the tunnels, I pointed out the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad poster to my mom and proclaimed, "One day, I'm going to have a copy of that poster in my house!"

A few months ago, Alex had ordered a special edition Thunder Mtn shirt for me for Christmas, but I was still on the hunt of the poster art. It's just so classic and original Walt Disney that I can't help myself.

It was such a random side comment, but what neither of us knew was that it was going to become very important the following day.

Up next: Sea World!

Last edited:
We had done the same thing with AoA one trip - just wandering around and checking it out. My kids too loved the Nemo play area. I think the cars section was their favorite - they loved posing for pictures with each car

I can't imagine how hard it would be to be at WDW and not go to a park - so I think doing the party was a good compromise - glad it worked out and that Alex was OK with it (very nice of you to check with him)

hmmm, Magic Kingdom and not see Mickey? let's see how this goes

“Yeah, this is a million times better than hanging out in our room.” ... yeah I'd say so :rotfl:

Sounds like all the parties this year were much better than last - seems like they may have reduced the number of tickets sold (seems like a ton more sold out than in the past) and that there was a conscious effort to have the CMs be more festive and into it.

Not sure if this is a direct response to complaints or Universal stepping up their game, but it is nice to see ... and glad to see you noticed it and it made for an even more magical night :goodvibes

You are definitely not the only adult that loves Dumbo at night ... especially in the new location with the lights and water - it is pretty perfect!

As someone who has had to carry a child through the approximately 27.43 mile long queue that is Under the Seas with Nemo and Friends, I absolutely would never judge you for not wanting to carry Landon for the rest of the night ;)

Going to Disney is going to be like Pavlov's dog for Landon ... his mouth is going to start watering whenever it comes up on converstaion :rotfl:

That was some quick work to get away from the parade - that is one thing I was worried about with your plan - the parade

Bummer about that lady - but it seems like all she really did was ruin her own night by staying mad. Though, some people are only happy when they are upset

aw man, I love that picture of Landon staring at Holiday Wishes with the fireworks reflected in his glasses - so cute!

I get chocked up watching regular Wishes on a regular night - so I can't even imagine the emotions you were feeling - and it's also another reminder of all the sacrifices that military families have to make ... so thank you again!

And for the record - crying over at Wishes doesn't make you look like a food at Disney .... being angry and shooting daggers at someone else for no good reason makes you look like a fool :thumbsup2

I love those old ride posters - actually, we have a calendar full of them for 2014 and I am sad that we are on the last one and in a few days we will have to take it down (though we can - and will - reuse the posters in it). Love the foreshadowing though!

Really hope that you have a wonderful and very Merry Christmas and are able to connect with Alex! I hope he returns safe and the time until that day flies by (but not so fast that you miss enjoying these days with Landon)

tumblr_ngnffl1lZS1tu8sz5o3_250.jpg

Hahaha, you just described most of my photo taking Alicia. SNAP, SNAP…move on! :thumbsup2

Honestly, I kinda want to arrive at a party from the outside at some point. There's something especially beautiful about walking in to that scene rather than already being there.

Oh wow yeah, I totally remember your experience last year. How lovely to have such an opposite situation this year. And you sure did make the most of it. :goodvibes

First off Hope it was a Merry Christmas.

I totally get the trying to save something for the family to see. My Husband and I are like that and all we deal with is the usual send dh off to work stuff.

It may have seemed like you were crazy to run away from such a prime spot but it was better that you did. I can tell you how it would have gone if you had stayed. You would have been so stressed to at least capture the moment on video and getting your phone out and ready in time that the moment would have passed and you wouldn't have seen it anyway. I say it was the much better call to give up the prime spots to a family that could enjoy them. Spreading that pixie dust a bit further is always fun. pixiedust:

Its always fun and exciting to test the limits of a toddler's sleep habits and see them pulled off well. Just yesturday we let Little MIss skip nap AND stay up an hour and a half past bed time.... we'll see how that goes today. :rotfl:

I absolutely love your last update! I don't blame you a bit for getting a little choked up during Holiday Wishes. I mean you had very good reason, and it doesn't take nearly that much for some people...

I really like the part where you compared going to the parks to sneaking cookies from the cookie jar. :rotfl2:

I'm so glad that you guys had the opportunity to go to the party! I noticed the same thing about the one we went to. It was sold out, and it didn't feel as crowded as parties we've gone to in the past. I think they're finally limiting the number of tickets sold in order to deliver a value above a normal park ticket. We talked to a CM at Dumbo, of all things, during our party and she said she has really loved the parties this year because people have just been in better moods and it has been less chaotic. It could explain why some of the CM's might have been more willing to say "Merry Christmas."

I'm very intrigued to find out more about how the comment about the BTMRR poster becomes important...

Yes, I’ve played the “conserve your phone’s life” game before. Definitely helps to have a portable charger along. Though I am a “snap, snap” person, no matter what. :rotfl:

If you have to pick just one night to be in the MK, an uncrowded Christmas party is a great pick!

Ugh, I’ve had to wait behind that mom for the diaper changing table too! :sad2:

Yeah, Disney is the Magical Place of Special Treats for Landon! It just seems right to let them indulge a bit on a special night like this.

I like your mom’s Small World theory – all toddlers seem fascinated by it – so maybe they think it is a bunch of other toddlers performing.

Wow, that was indeed a close call with Mickey! I have to say that I was really thinking how much nicer you are than me to avoid Mickey for Alex’s sake (since I took Izzy to WDW and she met Minnie w/o Dug), but what you said about the things you focus on during a deployment really makes sense. I think I’d do the same thing when it’s that important to him. And, besides, my understanding is that character meets are great on the cruises – short lines and lots of opportunities! :thumbsup2

That’s awesome that you got so many attractions done without waits!

What a strange lady with her fixation on that bit of curb! :confused3 It would be wrong even if it was for a parade, but it’s really ridiculous for something where you can stand in the street and watch. Some people really behave strangely at WDW.

Aw, that’s sweet that Landon wanted to see the show again!

Totally understandable to be choked up during the show with all that weighing on your mind! I can’t imagine how difficult it is to deal with having a spouse deployed with a little one that is growing up so quickly at home. :hug:

That was nice of your mom to let you ride Big Thunder! Love that ride, especially at night!

I am really curious about the poster now…

That was the best update EVER! I was so captivated.

I really can't step into your shoes and I'll probably never know what its like to have a loved one deployed, but you certainly took me there. It must be a constant reminder through all the good and the bad. It's so special how you learn to treasure the small things. Many of us have yet to master that art.

I'm so glad you and your mom decided to go to the party. It sounds like a wonderful party night - low crowds and decent weather. You certainly did get to do your fair share of rides. How cute to see Landon's expression while watching Wishes. He is just so intent on taking it all in.

BTMRR is my favorite night time ride. It's always so much fun. Glad you closed your night with it!

Ugh - I know the "don't let you phone die" dance - that must be especially true for a deployed husband. In my case its for teenage / young adult kids who are out on their own.

Wonderful update. Magical night. I hope to go to my first party next December.

What a great update! I don't think it could have gone any better if you planned it. I'm glad to hear the crowds were low and you got to do quite a few rides and Landon was cooperative :)

We had done the same thing with AoA one trip - just wandering around and checking it out. My kids too loved the Nemo play area. I think the cars section was their favorite - they loved posing for pictures with each car

I can't imagine how hard it would be to be at WDW and not go to a park - so I think doing the party was a good compromise - glad it worked out and that Alex was OK with it (very nice of you to check with him)

hmmm, Magic Kingdom and not see Mickey? let's see how this goes

“Yeah, this is a million times better than hanging out in our room.” ... yeah I'd say so :rotfl:

Sounds like all the parties this year were much better than last - seems like they may have reduced the number of tickets sold (seems like a ton more sold out than in the past) and that there was a conscious effort to have the CMs be more festive and into it.

Not sure if this is a direct response to complaints or Universal stepping up their game, but it is nice to see ... and glad to see you noticed it and it made for an even more magical night :goodvibes

I do think they sold less tickets to the party this year as opposed to previous years. There were about two thirds less guests in the park than in 2013 and both times I went to a sold out event.

It was a smart move on Disney's part, in my opinion. Having seen what it's like, I'd easily spend the 70 dollars to go to another one, unlike last year, when I swore the parties off for awhile.

You are definitely not the only adult that loves Dumbo at night ... especially in the new location with the lights and water - it is pretty perfect!

As someone who has had to carry a child through the approximately 27.43 mile long queue that is Under the Seas with Nemo and Friends, I absolutely would never judge you for not wanting to carry Landon for the rest of the night ;)

Precisely. Carrying a sleeping kid around can get exhausting quick. Especially if you're walking through a ride like Nemo, where the queue never ends. :faint:

Going to Disney is going to be like Pavlov's dog for Landon ... his mouth is going to start watering whenever it comes up on converstaion :rotfl:

:lmao::rotfl2:
Don't worry, with some holiday baked goods in the house, I'm trying to reverse that problem by letting him have a bite or two of sweets while the food is still in the house. :rotfl:

That was some quick work to get away from the parade - that is one thing I was worried about with your plan - the parade

Bummer about that lady - but it seems like all she really did was ruin her own night by staying mad. Though, some people are only happy when they are upset

aw man, I love that picture of Landon staring at Holiday Wishes with the fireworks reflected in his glasses - so cute!

I get chocked up watching regular Wishes on a regular night - so I can't even imagine the emotions you were feeling - and it's also another reminder of all the sacrifices that military families have to make ... so thank you again!

And for the record - crying over at Wishes doesn't make you look like a food at Disney .... being angry and shooting daggers at someone else for no good reason makes you look like a fool :thumbsup2

I love those old ride posters - actually, we have a calendar full of them for 2014 and I am sad that we are on the last one and in a few days we will have to take it down (though we can - and will - reuse the posters in it). Love the foreshadowing though!

Really hope that you have a wonderful and very Merry Christmas and are able to connect with Alex! I hope he returns safe and the time until that day flies by (but not so fast that you miss enjoying these days with Landon)

The entire Wishes viewing experience was really unusual for me. Even in May, when I knew Alex was about to leave, I didn't get all choked up. But I suppose by now, his 5 month absence is starting to show. Thankfully, he's close to homing home. If this was Disney trip we were planning, we'd be to "tick days off the countdown calender" point and the "guess I need think about what clothes I'll want to take" time.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and got to enjoy the time together as a family! I know your TR is over, but if you wanted to post a picture or two of Emma and Olivia and Peter celebrating Christmas, I don't think anybody would mind...:rolleyes1:rotfl2:

Hahaha, you just described most of my photo taking Alicia. SNAP, SNAP…move on! :thumbsup2

Honestly, I kinda want to arrive at a party from the outside at some point. There's something especially beautiful about walking in to that scene rather than already being there.

Oh wow yeah, I totally remember your experience last year. How lovely to have such an opposite situation this year. And you sure did make the most of it. :goodvibes

I couldn't have timed our arrival any better if I'd tried. The party had, literally, just started when he got out of the bathroom and started walking down Main Street. So the Christmas music had just begun and the snow had just started falling. It was like we walked in and BAM! Christmas party! A cool experience.

Thank goodness this year's party was better than 2013's! My mom and I went in with the mindset that we'd have to deal with the crazy party crowds, so it was an awesome surprise when that wasn't the case.

Thank you, Mary Ellen! I hope your Christmas and holiday festivities went well and you had a wonderful day!

First off Hope it was a Merry Christmas.

I totally get the trying to save something for the family to see. My Husband and I are like that and all we deal with is the usual send dh off to work stuff.

It may have seemed like you were crazy to run away from such a prime spot but it was better that you did. I can tell you how it would have gone if you had stayed. You would have been so stressed to at least capture the moment on video and getting your phone out and ready in time that the moment would have passed and you wouldn't have seen it anyway. I say it was the much better call to give up the prime spots to a family that could enjoy them. Spreading that pixie dust a bit further is always fun. pixiedust:

Its always fun and exciting to test the limits of a toddler's sleep habits and see them pulled off well. Just yesturday we let Little MIss skip nap AND stay up an hour and a half past bed time.... we'll see how that goes today. :rotfl:

A belated Merry Christmas to you, as well! I hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday!

Yep, that is probably exactly what would have happened. It was better all around to just skip the parade. Although, I will admit, that is one of my favorite parades, and it was hard to miss!:rotfl:

I hope the sleep situation worked out for you! Kids are unpredictable like that. And just because they handled it well once doesn't mean they'll do all right the next time it happens.
Kids have to keep you on your toes!:lmao:
(I am jealous that your DD still naps, though! Landon cut out his naps a couple weeks ago. Noooooooo!:sad::rotfl2:)

I absolutely love your last update! I don't blame you a bit for getting a little choked up during Holiday Wishes. I mean you had very good reason, and it doesn't take nearly that much for some people...

I really like the part where you compared going to the parks to sneaking cookies from the cookie jar. :rotfl2:

I'm so glad that you guys had the opportunity to go to the party! I noticed the same thing about the one we went to. It was sold out, and it didn't feel as crowded as parties we've gone to in the past. I think they're finally limiting the number of tickets sold in order to deliver a value above a normal park ticket. We talked to a CM at Dumbo, of all things, during our party and she said she has really loved the parties this year because people have just been in better moods and it has been less chaotic. It could explain why some of the CM's might have been more willing to say "Merry Christmas."

I'm very intrigued to find out more about how the comment about the BTMRR poster becomes important...

I was so pleased by the change in this year's party. I know it scared some folks, seeing a ton of sold out parties, but it's how it should be. At least, that's what I think. Last year...I was ticked off at spending 67 dollars for what I received. But this year....I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. You can get so much of MK done in those few hours that it is almost more worth it to buy a party ticket than a one day ticket. :confused3

Yes, I’ve played the “conserve your phone’s life” game before. Definitely helps to have a portable charger along. Though I am a “snap, snap” person, no matter what. :rotfl:

If you have to pick just one night to be in the MK, an uncrowded Christmas party is a great pick!

Ugh, I’ve had to wait behind that mom for the diaper changing table too! :sad2:

Yeah, Disney is the Magical Place of Special Treats for Landon! It just seems right to let them indulge a bit on a special night like this.

I like your mom’s Small World theory – all toddlers seem fascinated by it – so maybe they think it is a bunch of other toddlers performing.

Wow, that was indeed a close call with Mickey! I have to say that I was really thinking how much nicer you are than me to avoid Mickey for Alex’s sake (since I took Izzy to WDW and she met Minnie w/o Dug), but what you said about the things you focus on during a deployment really makes sense. I think I’d do the same thing when it’s that important to him. And, besides, my understanding is that character meets are great on the cruises – short lines and lots of opportunities! :thumbsup2

That’s awesome that you got so many attractions done without waits!

What a strange lady with her fixation on that bit of curb! :confused3 It would be wrong even if it was for a parade, but it’s really ridiculous for something where you can stand in the street and watch. Some people really behave strangely at WDW.

Aw, that’s sweet that Landon wanted to see the show again!

Totally understandable to be choked up during the show with all that weighing on your mind! I can’t imagine how difficult it is to deal with having a spouse deployed with a little one that is growing up so quickly at home. :hug:

That was nice of your mom to let you ride Big Thunder! Love that ride, especially at night!

I am really curious about the poster now…

Normally, I go to the baby care centers to change Landon's diapers, because they are less crowded and have more tables, but as he gets older, I get lazier with my diaper changes. :rotfl2: There was a bench area to the right of the changing table, and I was THIS CLOSE to plopping down my changing pad and doing it right there. :lmao:

The Small World theory is a good one. I wish I could know what went through a toddler's mind when the see Small World. It has to raise so many questions in their little minds. :rotfl2:

As far as seeing Mickey goes, I figured I shouldn't push Alex's generousity. I did go to WDW for a week in August with my mother, then to Seaworld without him. I think I was one Mickey meet and greet away from causing a fight. :lmao:

There are some days where I look at Landon and go, "Holy crap, you're dad's going to freak when he sees how much hair you've gotten." Even though he can see him on FaceTime, it's not the same as in person. I do think it's going to blow Alex away how mature Landon has become. He's definitely a kid more so than a baby now.

That was the best update EVER! I was so captivated.

I really can't step into your shoes and I'll probably never know what its like to have a loved one deployed, but you certainly took me there. It must be a constant reminder through all the good and the bad. It's so special how you learn to treasure the small things. Many of us have yet to master that art.

I'm so glad you and your mom decided to go to the party. It sounds like a wonderful party night - low crowds and decent weather. You certainly did get to do your fair share of rides. How cute to see Landon's expression while watching Wishes. He is just so intent on taking it all in.

BTMRR is my favorite night time ride. It's always so much fun. Glad you closed your night with it!

Ugh - I know the "don't let you phone die" dance - that must be especially true for a deployed husband. In my case its for teenage / young adult kids who are out on their own.

Thank you. It was fun to remember the party and talk about it while it was still fresh in my mind. (As opposed to this TR, where I'm digging into mind for 7 month old memories. :lmao:)
The party was fantastic, if only because it was completely spontaneous. I really liked not knowing what I was going to do until I came to an attraction.
I wish more Disney trips could be like that, but unfortunately, that's just not how the parks are set up. We'd never get on anything if we didn't have Fastpasses reserved.

I am sure the phone thing is just as important when you have older kids. I know the rule of thumb at my parent's house when we all were over 18 was, "If you're not coming home, just text me and tell me so I'm not sitting by the phone all night."
Although, I will admit, I put blinders up whenever I think about Landon being old enough to drive a car or have a curfew. Don't wanna cross that bridge until I get to it! :rotfl2:

Wonderful update. Magical night. I hope to go to my first party next December.

Thank you. That night really was magical!
I hope you get to attend a party next year. Especially if they keep the crowd levels low again. I posted in another reply that with so few people in the parks, it's almost more worth it to buy a MVMCP ticket than it is to buy a one day ticket. while not everything is available, enough things are to make it well worth your time and money.

And, you know, that's not even including Holiday Wishes and the Christmas parade!:thumbsup2

What a great update! I don't think it could have gone any better if you planned it. I'm glad to hear the crowds were low and you got to do quite a few rides and Landon was cooperative :)

I think planning would have made the night a whole different experience. I think the fly by the seat of your pants method was what made it so special, honestly.

Landon was so much easier to deal with compared to any other trip, and it's made Alex and I want to take him back sooner. His track record has kind of caused us to hesitate in the past, because he's been....a handful. :rotfl: But now that's he's older and can walk, it's a breeze! (Comparitively, of course. We are still talking about touring a theme park with a toddler.:lmao:)

I hope the sleep situation worked out for you! Kids are unpredictable like that. And just because they handled it well once doesn't mean they'll do all right the next time it happens.
Kids have to keep you on your toes!:lmao:
(I am jealous that your DD still naps, though! Landon cut out his naps a couple weeks ago. Noooooooo!:sad::rotfl2:)

She goes in waves with her naps, but I stubbornly hold on to them for my sanity.

The trick is enforced quiet time for at least an hour. 80% she'll fall asleep. If she sleeps and how long depends on whether or not she's having a growth spurt.

Quiet times though do a Momma Good. I won't be giving those up for many years to come.

She goes in waves with her naps, but I stubbornly hold on to them for my sanity.

The trick is enforced quiet time for at least an hour. 80% she'll fall asleep. If she sleeps and how long depends on whether or not she's having a growth spurt.

Quiet times though do a Momma Good. I won't be giving those up for many years to come.

Landon spends his days either playing with friends, at some kind of event, playing outside, or playing in his room with all his toys. If I sit him down with books to read, rather then get sleepy and rest, he just sits and reads to himself over and over again. There is no off switch for him. He's the biggest bundle of energy I've ever seen.
And the scary thing is, even without naps, he's not grumpy or tired. He's just go, go, go until bedtime, then he crashes. :lmao:

Thankfully, I have family and friends nearby that keep me sane when I need breaks. My mom's always willing to watch him while I get something accomplished, and if I'm at a friend's house, they help keep an eye on him so I can relax and visit.

And since he doesn't nap, I do get about 3 hours to myself at night where I can do whatever I want. I can just see when Alex gets home and him going, "Hey, you wanna help me organize this paperwork now that Landon's asleep," and me being like, "But this is MY time, I've got shows to watch!":lmao::rotfl2:

Unlike every other Disney trip since having Landon, my son actually slept in until 7 am the morning after Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. While still not the best sleeper in the world, he's gotten so much better since August, and I definitely appreciated the extra rest he afforded me.

My mom and I took our time getting organized. We weren't in any rush. We walked down to Everything Pop and bought two coffees, two bananas, and a fruit cup. One thing I missed about my normal trips: planning and packing my own food. I had grabbed enough of Landon's snack food (food pouches, Crunchies, and dehydrated green beans) to get us through, but I didn't bring any fresh fruit or breakfast items. A little part of me died when I spent 3 dollars on two teeny tiny bananas.

Just an observation I made that morning...

Around 8:30, Landon was handing us our shoes and pushing his stroller against the room door, telling us as best he could that he was ready to go.

On the way to our car, Landon got to go on his favorite ride of the trip.

The elevator.

He LOVED the elevator.

Anytime we came to it, he'd wriggle out of my arms and wait for the door to open. The gap between the car and the floor did cause him to pause every time we stepped out, but he still got huge thrills from going up or down in the thing.

It's not a Disney trip if Landon doesn't find something at the resort to entertain him.

And as my mom pointed out, at least he was progressively moving outward. First, it was a full length mirror, then it was a hallway, now he's made it to the elevators.

"Be careful, Grandson, soon you'll make it to the pools."
:lmao::rotfl2:

I wasn't a hundred percent sure where SeaWorld was in relation to Pop Century, so I plugged in my GPS and tried to follow the directions. However, it was going a little crazy, so I also connected my phone with the map app opened to get a second opinion.

The exit for the park was only five or six down from the one I entered on I-4, so it wasn't bad at all. I did run into a little snafu on the main roads leading up to the entrance, though, because every time I came to a red light, my GPS would yell at me to go left while my phone instructed me to go right.
:eek:

I didn't know which to listen to, so I ignored them both and just followed the post road signs.

Archaic method right there, but it worked and I made it to the parking ticket booth without having to make any U turns.

Several miserable looking employees directed us to a parking spot, and my mom made the observation that they looked so unhappy.

My response: "This isn't Disney; they're not required to smile.":rolleyes:

After parking and unloading Landon, I happened to glance up and realized with horror that the coaster I promised Alex I would go on was looming high over the parking lot.

The ride was a lot higher and a lot more intimidating in person.

My mom noticed my fearful gaze and laughed.

"Not so excited to try it now, are you?"

"Not really, no."

Before I could even think about chickening out or not, I had to actually get access to the park. The week before, I'd tried to get my military voucher online, but the site wasn't working, so I decided to just wait it out at will call.

A wise choice, as it turns out.

There was nobody at the ticket windows when we walked up, and all I had to do was hand over my military I.D. and the team member behind the window printed out a ticket stub with my name on it.

Took all of maybe three minutes.

The park had just opened by that point. I had pulled us off to the side to throw a thin blanket around Landon's legs in the stroller. The weather forecast had predicted it would be in the mid 60's, but it turned out to be cloudier than expected, so it was actually more like low 50's.

This was really cold for us. My mom and I were shivering in our thin jackets. Our hands were icicles.

We worried we'd have to spend a hundred thousand dollars on a SeaWorld blanket or fleece jacket.

Yep.

We're wimps.

:rotfl:

For the time being, though, we sucked it up, and walked to the ticket turnstiles. There was a small line in the middle , but off to the right were empty ones, and I steered us over there. My ticket went through without a glitch, but my mom's was done incorrectly. The lady who printed it up at our base's travel office did not print the barcode big enough, so the team member had to type in the serial number. And then the paper only listed the base's name on it rather than my mom's name. Technically, that shouldn't have gotten my mom in, but the worker saw my mom's ID, saw she had a ticket, and she let it slide.

It was so nice of her to not make a big deal out of it. That situation could have gone a lot worse.

So'we were in!

A non Disney park!

See how overcast it was?
I get cold just looking at that picture...

Directly to the right of the entrance was the coaster I was looking at from the parking lot.

The ride I swore I was going to try.

Manta!

Alex is a big coaster lover, and a few years ago he was showing me his favorite ride on youtube (The Hulk, by the way). We started browsing through other major coasters and came upon Manta. It's a ride the lays you on your stomach and shoots you through loops and corkscrews while you're facing the ground.

It looked terrifyingly awesome.

The reason I was drawn to the ride, though, was because it didn't have any drops. Like Rock N Roller Coaster.

Which was great, because I love RNRC.

Hate Tower of Terror.

But love Thunder.

And deal with Splash Mountain.

I hate negative G-force but love positive G's.

So Manta looked like it was right up my alley, and I commented to Alex for years that I'd love to try it.

Well, the time had come. It was right there before me.

I had to put my money where my mouth was and go on the coaster I'd spouted off as seeming, "Like the coolest rush ever."

Hmm.:rolleyes1

I might not have been so freaked out by the idea if someone were going on it with me.

Aside from Rock n Roller Coaster, this was going to be my first inverted coaster. Ever.

And I was doing it all by my lonesome.

Oh well. It was now or never.

I pointed my mom in the direction of the dolphin viewing location, and she pushed Landon towards it.

Time for me to walk onto Manta!

I sent this picture to Alex:

The queue pulls a Nemo and switches from outside to inside right away, so for a few seconds you're momentarily blind.

Agh!

It's a long but well-themed queue. There's a bunch of stingray facts on the walls and at one point you go past an actual stingray aquarium. That was a really cool touch, and I'm sure if there was a long standby time that would make for good entertainment while you waited.

At this early in the morning, though, the ride was walk on. Which I hated, because I had no time to think!

I was walking, walking, and then out of nowhere...I was standing before a worker.

He tried to send me to the back to the ride, but I shot him my best petrified face and asked him for the middle. He laughed and thought about my request for a second before saying, "Go to row 6, that's probably the least intense spot."

"Thank you!"

Once the gates open it takes a couple minutes for the ride to get going. I had to drop my glasses off in the storage bins next to the seats, and then climb into it. A worker then has to come by and push down the chest bar really tight. When it locks into place it also secures ankles holders to your legs so that your feet aren't dangling.

It feels incredibly restrictive. Like, you can't breathe almost. And you definitely can't move your arms. The only thing you can move is your hands, and that's only to hold onto or not hold onto the metal handles sticking out of the chest bar.

We had to just hang there for a minute or two while the other boarding queue section got prepped and took off. The prep part really does take the longest out of everything.

It was probably three or four minutes from the time I could get on to the time we began the ride.

Just enough time for me to start freaking.
:lmao:

When everyone's all situated, the ride then flips you to the ground, and suddenly you're staring at the floor.

A second before, I thought I was going to get claustrophobic from the restraints, but the moment I was facing downwards, I could only wish they felt more secure.

The image of my bar popping down rushed into my head, and all I could think was, if that happened I would fall flat of my face.

And that scenario ran on repeat through my mind after we left the station and began ascending the first incline.

"Oh, good, there's a net. If I fall out right now, I'll land on the net."

"The ground is so far awayyyyy!"

"Please don't let me die, please don't let me die."

"What was I thinking? I have a child to take care of!"

The different position really was freaky. It took the ride to a whole new level. The coaster itself wasn't anything extraordinary in terms of its track, but the fact that you're looking down changed the game. In the back of my head, I knew I was perfectly safe, but there was still that little seed of doubt that really had room to sprout and grow due to the fact that I was in such a precarious position.

It was intense.

So much that I was a chicken and closed my eyes through the first few loops. I couldn't look at myself hanging upside down with my feet straight up in the air.

But near the end I began loosening up and enjoying myself. And when we pulled back into the loading dock and I saw solid ground just a few feet below me, I let out a huge sigh of relief.

My post ride message to Alex looked like this:

More than anything, I was proud of myself for braving a coaster by myself. Five years ago, I don't think I would have done that, and it showed me that I could handle other big rides like the Hulk and Dragon Challenge.

No more being wimpy for me!

The only bad thing about the ride, though, was I was always in fear of my phone dropping out of my pocket. There were a million warnings before the ride about the risks of your devices falling out, but I had to have my phone with me so I could find my mom later. And I wasn't about to leave it in the open storage bins. And what made it worse was the pair of jeans I was wearing didn't have a big enough pocket for the phone. It stuck out about three inches, so in the midst of envisioning myself falling to my death, I also spent the duration of the ride praying my phone stayed in place.

Even with all that worry, I made the crazy decision to ride again.

The first time around I hadn't really gotten to enjoy the ride. I wanted a second turn where I wasn't freaking out about everything and where I actually kept my eyes open.

The worker who helped me was still there and laughed when he saw me again.

The second time around was definitely more enjoyable, but nonetheless disorienting. I still worried about my phone, and I still had those what if thoughts.

Two turns on Manta was enough for me. Well, actually, it was more like I felt like I'd pushed my luck enough with my phone, and figured it would be best if I reunited with my mom. I gave her a call and she helped me find my way over to the dolphins. Landon had fallen asleep shortly after I'd left her, which was a big surprise. He'd recently cut out his naps from his daytime routine, and if he did take one, it was late in the afternoon.

Obviously, he was still recuperating from the Christmas party.

Meanwhile, my mom had found a really nice trainer who stood and talked with her for a little bit. Dolphins are my mom's favorite animal, and I think the trainer got a kick out of talking to someone who was as passionate as she was about the creatures. Apparently, there were 16 dolphins in the pool and one of them was a juvenile.

And the trainer told my mom something she never knew before. Every single dolphin has their own unique call, and it's like a fingerprint that can identify them. No two dolphins have the same voice.

That's a pretty cool little tidbit of knowledge.

It seemed like my mom and I both had an enjoyable time at our respective locations.

We let Landon continue to nap while we just wandered around. It was still freezing cold and the movement helped keep us warm.

Soon, we stumbled upon a theater where an employee was trying his best to get guests to come inside. I was feeling confident that morning and figured I could get Landon out of his stroller while he stayed asleep. So, I suggested we go watch the show...whatever the show was...while Landon finished out his nap on my shoulder.

Naturally, my plan backfired and he woke up, but Lady Luck was looking out for me that day, and Landon didn't wake up a bear. Typically, he needs about twenty minutes to regroup and orient himself after he gets up, but I guess there was so much going on that he forgot to be grumpy.

Fortunate for us, because we were walking into a show!

Up Next: More SeaWorld

Last edited:
Landon spends his days either playing with friends, at some kind of event, playing outside, or playing in his room with all his toys. If I sit him down with books to read, rather then get sleepy and rest, he just sits and reads to himself over and over again. There is no off switch for him. He's the biggest bundle of energy I've ever seen.
And the scary thing is, even without naps, he's not grumpy or tired. He's just go, go, go until bedtime, then he crashes. :lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:Sounds exactly like Little Miss!!:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: We had to remove all toys and books from her room for those very reasons.

Oh I am just dying hearing about your start on Manta. We have a coaster near us that is very similar in its loading and I believe I had the same stream of consciousness when I rode it.

Haha, Landon likes to hand out shoes too, huh?

I think he and Izzy do have some things in common – she LOVES elevators too. I’m fairly certain that her favorite thing about Aulani was being on the 7th floor and getting to use the elevator (and often push the button) frequently.

Ha, I guess you and I have a bit of the Izzy/Landon thing going, as I love drops (Space Mountain? Sign me up!) and just tolerate RnRC. We can both agree on Big Thunder’s awesomeness, though, so there’s that.

I like your pics to Alex. I’ve never done an inverted coaster, but it does sound very intense. I’m not sure how I would do. Oh, wow, I’m so glad you didn’t lose your phone! I have pockets like that too and sometimes drop my phone just bending over or sitting down – you are lucky!

Glad you all had an enjoyable start to the day, roller coasting, napping, and chatting dolphins. And glad Landon woke up in a good mood for the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter