Lets talk about masks

claude burgundy

Earning My Ears
We had to cancel our 2020 trip and likewise 2021 is a no go for us.

A deal breaker going forward will be face masks.

Will they be gone anytime soon in the parks ?

I wear one 8 hrs a day in work and the thoughts of spending big bucks to go on holiday and wearing one has stopped me booking so far.

I think we'd only be visiting Universal and Busch if we go and Disney Springs so Disney isn't a worry for the moment.

So.....................when do you think they'll be gone ?

Disney are on record saying that they will probably be there until the end of this year- but that could change. I see them being cautious and one of the last to keep a mask policy- at least indoors, outdoors may be dropped before.

I am going in October (hopefully) and I am not looking forward to wearing one as it's still hot and humid.

Disney are on record saying that they will probably be there until the end of this year- but that could change. I see them being cautious and one of the last to keep a mask policy- at least indoors, outdoors may be dropped before.

I am going in October (hopefully) and I am not looking forward to wearing one as it's still hot and humid.

Yes we just discussed it at the weekend the humid weather. I've visiting most months and i can't imagine wearing one.

At least staying in a villa and not a hotel will give us some freedom.

I'm also interested in the policy in stores as well going forward.

Don't forget the mask age requirements for children are different in USA. Children over 2 years old have to wear a face mask.

A deal breaker going forward will be face masks.
Ditto.

I wear one 8 hrs a day in work and the thoughts of spending big bucks to go on holiday and wearing one has stopped me booking so far.
Absolutely. For that sort of spend it has to be enjoyable.
I probably have a worse situation as I am home most of the time. I only wear a mask in shops really, so just minutes several times a week and the odd half hour. The latter is unpleasant.
If Disney eased to indoors only masks I could probably manage, but then being masked for 15 hours or more each way travelling there and back becomes the problem.

I may have to do DLP instead, if they ease policy enough.

Ditto.

Absolutely. For that sort of spend it has to be enjoyable.
I probably have a worse situation as I am home most of the time. I only wear a mask in shops really, so just minutes several times a week and the odd half hour. The latter is unpleasant.
If Disney eased to indoors only masks I could probably manage, but then being masked for 15 hours or more each way travelling there and back becomes the problem.

I may have to do DLP instead, if they ease policy enough.

Interesting that Executive Order 20-52 doesn't seem to have been extended. It had to be extended by midnight last night and its the order that declared a state of emergency in the state.

This could have a big impact with regard to face coverings etc. It will be down to each county to set the policy.

I'll also have to check out the flights policy. I'll be direct from Ireland so its 8 Hrs...............or a normal day for me :crazy2:

I'll also have to check out the flights policy. I'll be direct from Ireland so its 8 Hrs...............or a normal day for me :crazy2:
But you'll likely have to wear a mask at the airports (say 3 hrs at departure, 1 or 2 at arrival). And if you use public transport to get to and from at each end (as I do) that will be another couple of hours or more.
8+3+1(2)+1+1=14(15) hours. Give or take obviously.

But you'll likely have to wear a mask at the airports (say 3 hrs at departure, 1 or 2 at arrival). And if you use public transport to get to and from at each end (as I do) that will be another couple of hours or more.
8+3+1(2)+1+1=14(15) hours. Give or take obviously.

By Jan 2022 lets hope not

I was there in Oct and Dec last year. The masks are not a big deal and they had areas in each park where you could sit and take the masks off. Note that I have COPD, so I have restricted respiration and I had no issues.

the rules for mask wearing were amended yester, anyone fully vaccinated no longer needs to wear a mask outside if alone or with household members, or in a small outdoor gathering with fully vaccinated people.
Whoa. That's the CDC recommendations and I think a Disney park will count as a large group of strangers - so masks on anyway.
Plus Disney make their own rules - they were masked up long before most of the country and will likely lag CDC/Florida/Orange County advice by some weeks or months.

Bear in mind that Disney has no real knowledge of who is vaccinated or not, so I imagine must assume a low vaccination rate in their visitors.

Just some random thinking:
Both the US and UK are talking about 'freedom' in July. Hopefully we might get travel going between us then.
But masks?... I'm not sure they will be that free then, on aircraft anyway. Might come down to individual airlines.

Disney is trickier. Their imperative is making money and the most money is getting the most people in the parks.
Currently, at 35% capacity they have no problem maxing out it seems. But to increase numbers they will have to reduce distancing, so I reckon they will keep masks as long as they can to allow more crowding.
I'd guess that at some point they may find they can't fill the parks because a proportion of people won't go with the mandatory masks (whereas some will not go without that).
There's also the snack problem - people may buy less snacks and drinks in the parks because it's just too much hassle juggling with a mask as well.

So there will be an inflection point where Disney will need to drop masks to maximise profits.

Disney knows people hate masks. It’s in their financial interest to do away with them as soon as they safely can, while still being seen to follow all scientific advice. I would be very surprised if they are still being worn at all come the new year when most people are vaccinated.

They may very well be gone by end of this year, possibly even before the 50th anniversary. At this point in time they are no longer required outdoors, I expect this will be expanded to indoors soon considering that all government-imposed mask mandates have already been lifted..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter