Let's pick our battles carefully

DisneyCrazy

DIS Vet / DVC Member
We all come here to 'discuss' various topics, occupancy, towels, buses, park tickets, etc as well as learn and share information with each other - be we long time members, newbies, or those trying to decide. All of this is good, but it seems to me that in many cases we are spending time and effort in the wrong direction. Sure some don't follow the rules - but I'd bet with the number of members it is FAR less than 1% of the total ownership and that it REALLY isn't hurting the rest of the population. We can debate these 'abuses' until blue in the face - but wouldn't it be better for us to use our collective 'clout' (or lack thereof) for a greater purpose? Let's face it - calling MS to complain about people taking towel from the pool, or too many people in a room is not really going to stop the practice - it's just going to push it 'underground'. And for the most part these complaints are nothing more than hearsay - unless someone is caught Disney really can't do anything other than state the policy - they practice isn't going to change.

Now I am not trying to start a letter writing campaign (that is against the rules) - I just want people to THINK where their effort is best used.

I know personally I would rather see discounted park tickets for 100% of the owners rather than midnight strip searches for pool towels looking for the <1% breaking the rules. I don't want to start another debate, but with declining yearly dues can there be much of a problem?

Just think friends, let's accomplish something GOOD with our time!

-Paul

[This message was edited by DisneyCrazy on 02-05-01 at 07:38 AM.]

You are right, let's put our energies into constructive ventures. I agree it would be nice to have discount tickets, but I am not sure DVC has much to gain from that since they are an entity separate from Disney itself. DVC does lose or gain from over use of property etc., and that is the reason for concern about dues. Just food for thought. ;)

Disneydiane

It amazes me how some topics such, room limits
upset so many, yet I never have seen statisatics of how many abuse the limit.

My concern is others renting out points for profit (Oh, of course they say they could not use those points and had to rent rather that use).

Well, I bought dvc to enjoy not do member services job. I will let them handle these issues.

Tigger

pooh-tig05.gif

I would like some energy put into pressuring DVC to negotiate better point value exchanges in their other collections. I know DVC does negotiate these every year and it seems to me the person doing the negotiating is not doing his/her job. Our points should be at least worth 10.00 and DVC should negotiate accordingly. I know that the other collections are just "extras" but Disney does use the flexibilty in its sales pitch to sale DVC. And don't we pay the salary for the person arranging the trades? One example is for the cruise - a infant is 16 points, yet I could of paid 99.00 on the open market, but DVC makes you use points for an infant. I think DVC owes it to its members to get the best trade for point value they can.

Discussing things here on this board does little except allow people to vent. If someone has a true concern, whatever it may be, they should realize that writing to DVC Management (not Member Services) is the way to express themselves. A phone call or e-mail to MS is not really the proper way and doesn't give it much "weight". A snail mail letter to DVC Management is the way to go if you have a serious concern.

I think the distinction is that if the concept of violating the capacity limits isn't challenged, then some people will take it as a hint that it is acceptable behavior and it will become MORE of a problem. Objecting to it now seems to effectively keep the practice from becoming more commonplace.

Brian Charles Kohn
"in my own words"
Some Imagination, huh? - Mickey Mouse

I agree 100% with you dthomas. When we signed up, I didn't realize the lower value of points for exchanges. After finding out about renting points, it's almost worth it to rent your points and pay cash.
Maybe we could stop arguing about BWV vs OKW vs WLV, or towels, or 5 in 1 and focus on how we can channel our energies to having more options or better discounts.
Maybe just maybe...

DVCDUDES
Owner BWV Feb 2000

It's not as if there is a finite amount of space for discussion on this board. I think that if, collectively you can get a better rate of exchange, fine. Go ahead. I think you're wasting your time because Disney normally bases decisions to add a perq on how it affects the bottom line not on what makes existing members happy.
I agree with Bicker. If we don't express our displeasure with the members who are violating the rules then we imply that it's OK and that implication is reinforced in those who are considering membership.
There's enough room here for both types of threads.

Are we on the Debate board yet?

Dave

horizonssignsm.gif

[This message was edited by HorizonsFan on 02-06-01 at 12:45 PM.]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter