Let's binge watch stuff

Interesting. I watched episode 1 and 2 and I thought "meh". I went on to other things, mainly because my kids were bothering me to watch Tiger King. WOW! That's all I have to say about that train wreck, LOL.
I can understand. I'm not sure if I would have been so insistent to keep watching if I wasn't a huge Jason Bateman fan! Completely agree about Tiger King! WOW, what a mess! lol

I'm watching a lot of BBC and Acorn TV, most especially the shows set in exotic locations. (The British are really gifted at that; the whole empire perspective and all.) Three of the ones I've really enjoyed that have not yet been mentioned are Shetland (contemporary, & shot on location in the Shetland Islands) , The Heat of the Sun (set in Kenya's Happy Valley scene of the early 1930's, and shot in Zimbabwe), and The Last Post (set in Aden during the unrest of 1967; shot near Cape Town, SA). The varied locations let me feed a bit of my travel longing at the same time.

The great advantage to bingeing British TV is that it's not much of a time commitment; most of the time a "series" (what Americans call a season) is only 3 episodes, and there are seldom more than 3 "series" of any programme; so it's usually a total of 9 episodes to watch the entire run.

BTW, remember to check the free video streaming offerings of your public library. Video is often offered through Overdrive, Hoopladigital, and/or Kanopy. (And don't overlook audiobooks; very useful for times when you have chores to do but would rather read -- you can opt to do both simultaneously.)

DH & I have had a hard time getting into anything new, although we've tried a few things. We're especially looking for a series that has several seasons already available on-demand because we love to binge-watch. We started The Wire today, which has been highly praised but after 3 episodes, it hasn't totally grabbed me.

I tried the wire twice and could not get into it. It has been described as a masterpiece and one of the best shows ever. Sigh.....I may have to try again. Third time's a charm.

I tried the wire twice and could not get into it. It has been described as a masterpiece and one of the best shows ever. Sigh.....I may have to try again. Third time's a charm.
:laughing: Don't believe everything you read. They said that about Deadwood too. I loathed it.

Just reading the description of The Wire, sounds like a copy of every other drama series. That never was my thing.

There are a lot of shows like this for me. Everyone glued to marathon watching and I can't even pull up the first episode to watch knowing it's not my thing. Game of Thrones is one of them. Never watched it and the genre of the show isn't my thing at all. Other shows I tried to watch but couldn't. Lost was one that everyone watched while I didn't have HBO. When I got Netflix and got rid of cable, I tried to watch it. I couldn't. There didn't seem to be any chemistry between characters at all and I didn't see anything good with neither acting nor the writing.

I'm watching a lot of BBC and Acorn TV, most especially the shows set in exotic locations. (The British are really gifted at that; the whole empire perspective and all.) Three of the ones I've really enjoyed that have not yet been mentioned are Shetland (contemporary, & shot on location in the Shetland Islands) , The Heat of the Sun (set in Kenya's Happy Valley scene of the early 1930's, and shot in Zimbabwe), and The Last Post (set in Aden during the unrest of 1967; shot near Cape Town, SA). The varied locations let me feed a bit of my travel longing at the same time.

The great advantage to bingeing British TV is that it's not much of a time commitment; most of the time a "series" (what Americans call a season) is only 3 episodes, and there are seldom more than 3 "series" of any programme; so it's usually a total of 9 episodes to watch the entire run.

BTW, remember to check the free video streaming offerings of your public library. Video is often offered through Overdrive, Hoopladigital, and/or Kanopy. (And don't overlook audiobooks; very useful for times when you have chores to do but would rather read -- you can opt to do both simultaneously.)

Death in Paradise is a great series set in the Caribbean -- It's on BritBox, not sure about Acorn. Thinking of subscribing to Acorn just to see the new Miss Fisher.

Terrace House Tokyo 2019-2020
So cool.
This reality tv is so much more polite than American reality tv... and far more engaging!

(This is coming from a real housewives addict.)

ETA: it’s on Netflix

Last edited:

Three of the ones I've really enjoyed that have not yet been mentioned are Shetland (contemporary, & shot on location in the Shetland Islands)

How do you view the series? I enjoyed the books and would like to see the program very much.

:laughing: Don't believe everything you read. They said that about Deadwood too. I loathed it.
It's true about The Wire, though. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm willing to die on that hill.

DW and I are watching World on Fire and Call The Midwife on PBS, and anxiously awaiting the new season of The Last Kingdom on Netflix--it premieres this weekend.

I've had The Office on in the background while working from home. Never get tired of it.
Currently binging New Girl. Did experience Tiger King because I felt un-American if I didn't jump on that (still not 100% convinced that Carole Baskins' husband is dead)

Others I recommend:
Sherlock
Lucifer
Sons of Anarchy
Expedition Unknown (Discovery Channel)
Harlots
Carnival Row

On my list:
Outer Banks - friend recommended this to me, guess it's new on Netflix?
All the Star Wars movies - I've never seen ANY of them *gasp!*
The Witcher
Agents of Shield - we'll see if I get to this one
Saved by the Bell - just found on Hulu, might need to relive these glory days!

I highly recommend Good Omens on Amazon Prime. It's a very quirky comedy/drama about an angel and a demon teaming up to stop the End of the World. I might have watched it first because of the extraordinary David Tennant as Crowley, the demon half of the duo, but then I just loved it for everything else, too.

I highly recommend Good Omens on Amazon Prime. It's a very quirky comedy/drama about an angel and a demon teaming up to stop the End of the World. I might have watched it first because of the extraordinary David Tennant as Crowley, the demon half of the duo, but then I just loved it for everything else, too.

I would watch and listen to that man read a phone book. :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc Good Omens is also one of my favorite books, and they really did it justice. Not perfect, but much better than most adaptations.
I'm waiting for Deadwater Fell to finish and then I'll probably subscribe to Acorn.

I've got 2 eps of Outer Banks left. It's pretty good. A bit slow in parts, but intriguing.

It's true about The Wire, though. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm willing to die on that hill.

DW and I are watching World on Fire and Call The Midwife on PBS, and anxiously awaiting the new season of The Last Kingdom on Netflix--it premieres this weekend.
:lovestrucLove, love, love the Last Kingdom and I'm excited for it! I also adored Call the Midwife but my DVR died and took the entire 8th season with it and I can't find it on demand anywhere - it's not on Canadian Netflix.

:thumbsup2If historical bio-fiction is your thing, as it certainly is mine, try Versailles, Reign and Vikings if you haven't already.

:scared1: If you don't mind not sleeping well for a week, watch Waco on Netflix. :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter