Lay-offs Begin!!!

DVC-Landbaron

What Would Walt Do?
They are reporting on RADP that the lay-offs have started. Several Blizzard Beach managers who did not accept the Disney package got their slip today.

I don't have any idea if it's true or not. I'm only passing along a rumor, on the rumor board!!! This may be the only time I've ever used this board the right way!! (lol)

:smooth: ;) :p :) :smooth:

Not sure that I understand this, but I am sure someone here does!

Why wouldn't those employees, seeing the writing on the wall, accept Disney's offer? It was a pretty good offer especially considering that people ARE going to 'go' regardless...

Anyone?:bounce:

Pirate,

What may have happened was the offer was put out to a group or groups. Forgive me, I don't know the specifics. Some managers responded, others did not. Perhaps the managers that did not respond figured that they did not have enough service time for it to be economically prudent and/or figured that they would not be effected by the non-voluntary phase.

Since not ALL managers were let go, perhaps they figured that they would still have their jobs. In any case, they would still be offered severance even if it came via layoff.

By the way, my manager didn't tell me exactly what was in the severance package, but she felt like it was a slap in the face. So I don't think it was all that good of an offer. I know for a fact that it wasn't nearly as good as an offer as the last time they had to do layoffs.

I can't believe that WDW will be effect. I thought it would of been more of ABC that would of gotten hit, since they are the ones that are losing profits.

Do you know how they are picking the cast members?? My husbands Disney store managers went down there last year, so they are low on the senority, unless they count the senority from the disney store.

Well the packages arent designed to let the manager retire. The entire purpose of offering a package instead of just firing someone is to give them something to cover their expenses for a couple of weeks until they find something new.

hope the job market is better in Orlando . If they think the severance is only to tie them over for a couple of weeks.. I've been unemployed since Feb, and no good leads in sight.. The Job market is horrible right now.. I hope the managers that got can have better luck then I have had..

The VSP (Voluntary Severence Package) is what I consider a clean up.

This 'package' was offered to mid-management level and office/technical personnel.

If you wanted to do the program you had to have your paperwork turned in by the beginning of May. ( I forget what day).

They are expecting that they will have enough people accept it, so they won't have to lay off. I have not heard of anyone being laid off as I heard they would start handing out pink slips May 21-June 1

My feeling is that casting hired and people were promoted way too to fast for the wrong positions. Now they will be careful in the upcoming future. This is not the first time Disney has offered this type of pkg. The last one was about 8-10yrs ago.

It is based on seniority....I don't know the exact numbers but something like this-

under 5yrs - 12 wks pay
over 5yrs - 10 wks pay plus one week for every year of service.

There is a lot of other conditions on how long you have to wait to come back, etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter